Vegan Thanksgiving Plans/Recipes?

robert

I'm not sure. I'm be spending it with the in-laws and all of them eat meat so I will be responsible for my own food. I'm considering either making my own veggie loaf, or buying one of those pre made veggie roasts. If I decide to buy a premade veggie roast what kinds would you reccomend?

I buy the Tofurky roast filled with stuffing and gravy every year for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I love it! It gives me that traditional holiday eating feeling and I don't have it any other time of year. Before my dad passed he happily ate it even though he was a diehard meat eater (I think it was the smothered in gravy part that made it ok for him). I'm also not much of a cook so just putting something in the oven and baking it fits my lazy style.

This year I am heading to LA to spend Thanksgiving with my mom. I told her I would buy the Tofurkey but she wants to eat out instead so I am researching what vegan restaurants will be open on Thanksgiving day. She's a meat eater but will eat vegan if that's where I take her since she can't drive anymore.

Happy Holidays to all!

ive always hated pumpkin pie, but i wonder how it's done vegan style.

My mother, who help found the first health food store in my Midwestern hometown, transformed a recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook into a simple custard that could be poured into a pie crust or plain custard cups. I always baked it right in a glass brownie pan and sliced it into squares, then warmed it up and drizzled maple syrup and walnuts over the top. I am raw vegan now but some of you may still enjoy this:

Pumpkin Pie Custard

2 15-ounce cans pumpkin

3 eggs worth of egg substitute

2 T vanilla

3/4 C. brown sugar

1/2 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. cloves

1/8 t. salt (opt.)

1/2 C. flour (thickening agent)

Mix together very well and pour into greased 8"x8" pan or pie dish.

Cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake 50-60 minutes or until a knife stuck in the middle comes out clean.

You can bump up the spices if you want or substitute part of the flour with vanilla protein powder. Baking this makes the whole house smell amazing!

Baby Herc

• 1 month later...

My mom made me a cross between an eggplant parm and a veggie casserole, I supplied the Daiya cheese.

She finally learned how to cook vegetables from Rachel Ray. Seasonings! The right amount of oil! And so incredibly tasty! I'm so proud of her. *sniff*

(she's Irish. PAAAAIINFULLY Irish)

• 1 month later...

I know this is a while after this was posted on but i have a really good vegan pumpkin pie recipe that you don't need egg subsitutes for. Ingredients

-1 pie crust, placed in pie pan -1 ½ cups pureed pumpkin -2 cups water -1/2 cup flour -1/2 cup sugar -1 tsp cinnamon -1/2 tsp salt -1/2 tsp ginger -1/8 tsp cloves -1/4 cup cornstarch

Instructions

-Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

-Pour into pie pan.

-Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.

-Bake in oven for 40 minutes.

-Let cool completely before cutting.

Makes 8 slices

1 slice is app. 160 calories

I have pictures of it and a coconut whip cream recipe on my blog