Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Unexpected side effects to going vegan/vegetarian
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:43 am 
Rabbit

My wife and I watched two shows. Food Inc. and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. After those we decided a juice fast was for us. After much debate I decided to just stop eating meat. The truth is that I like meat. I just decided that I didn't like the feeling it gave me and I wanted a clean life more than I wanted the meat. I think that is the trick to any diet, exercise program or way of life. You have to want the change more than whatever it is you are giving up.

Sent from my DROID X2

Post subject: Re: Re: Unexpected side effects to going vegan/vegetarian
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:01 am 
Rabbit

ForwardConcern wrote:
hellguy wrote:
I have heard that a vegan/vegetarian diet tends to improve the brains functions. I have noticed a decline in that area over that last few years and am hoping for a little boost. Overall though I feel great.

One more question; about going vegan.

Did you vegans here jump to vegan or was it a progressive thing? Why?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Way back when when I was going vegan i spent a year transitioning and learning. I feel thats the best way to approach and avoid the rubberband effect.

I'm not too sure about going vegan. I am fully good right now being a vegetarian. Plus, the cost of food is difficult for me to go fully vegan. I have enough trouble balancing the food in my house between me and my son. My wife is still a meat eater and doesn't want to change. That makes meals harder to plan. Any advice about how to find this balance would be great.

Sent from my DROID X2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 am 
Elephant

hellguy wrote:
The truth is that I like meat. I just decided that I didn't like the feeling it gave me and I wanted a clean life more than I wanted the meat.

Same for me. I didn't stop eating meat because I didn't like it, it was darned tasty. It was how meat was affecting my body and then subsequently my mood that ultimately led to the decision to start cutting it out. I took a road that's pretty common to many by first cutting out beef, then pork, then chicken. This took about four years. I remained pescatarian for a while, then dove into vegetarianism. But too many comfort foods were still available to my sorry ass (read: cheese) so I decided to cleanse my mind while dabbling in longer and longer trips to veganland. I always felt tons better when I did. When I decided to stay permanently, it was easy and smooth, a natural progression. Veganism was like the gateway drug to raw veganism--my raw vegan high floats me on clouds, I swear, and I'm quite happy to be addicted. I should note that I naturally put on muscle mass very, very fast and am built to carry it around in style along with fat, so all peripheral weight loss has been a blessing for showing off my natural lines. I'm raw vegan now since summer and all the dumbbells in the gym just keep getting lighter and lighter and....

hellguy wrote:
I think that is the trick to any diet, exercise program or way of life. You have to want the change more than whatever it is you are giving up.

I'll go you one further and declare that if it ain't easy and natural, it ain't right for you right now. A lot of people do stuff that feels hard, goes against their instincts, or just plain hurts. They call it a "challenge" and everybody claps for them when they conquer whatever it is they are pushing against. I've discovered another way. You can prep your mind and body for transitions so that when you take the step, it's so effortless that it's like walking through a door--no stress, no drama, no pain. The challenge-lovers won't clap for you but a new group will. I have a whole new group of friends now who support me like I never knew was possible. It's like a bonus check in the mail. And my body rewards me for not pushing it around by being so youthful and strong that I'm scrambling now to look for things to do to use up all the energy I have.

Do what you need to do until it feels right to do something else, then do that. We are all different and thank goodness. Otherwise the Earth would be one boring hunk of rock. Enjoy the journey.

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:32 pm 
Rabbit

Baby Hercules wrote:

I'll go you one further and declare that if it ain't easy and natural, it ain't right for you right now.

Baby Herc

For me that is it. I have been on an incredible journey this year. Vegetarian feels right. I never tell people I will never eat meat again. I tell them I don't plan on it. We never know what the future holds.

Sent from my DROID X2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:45 pm 
Elephant

hellguy wrote:
For me that is it. I have been on an incredible journey this year. Vegetarian feels right. I never tell people I will never eat meat again. I tell them I don't plan on it. We never know what the future holds.

Couldn't have put it any better. High-five, bro.

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:36 pm 
Rabbit

Baby Hercules wrote:
hellguy wrote:
I think that is the trick to any diet, exercise program or way of life. You have to want the change more than whatever it is you are giving up.

I'll go you one further and declare that if it ain't easy and natural, it ain't right for you right now. A lot of people do stuff that feels hard, goes against their instincts, or just plain hurts. They call it a "challenge" and everybody claps for them when they conquer whatever it is they are pushing against. I've discovered another way. You can prep your mind and body for transitions so that when you take the step, it's so effortless that it's like walking through a door--no stress, no drama, no pain. The challenge-lovers won't clap for you but a new group will. I have a whole new group of friends now who support me like I never knew was possible. It's like a bonus check in the mail. And my body rewards me for not pushing it around by being so youthful and strong that I'm scrambling now to look for things to do to use up all the energy I have.

Beautifully said!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:47 pm 
Rabbit

Amen!

Sent from my DROID X2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:21 pm 
Manatee

hellguy wrote:
My wife and I watched two shows. Food Inc. and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. After those we decided a juice fast was for us. After much debate I decided to just stop eating meat. The truth is that I like meat. I just decided that I didn't like the feeling it gave me and I wanted a clean life more than I wanted the meat. I think that is the trick to any diet, exercise program or way of life. You have to want the change more than whatever it is you are giving up.
Sent from my DROID X2

Food Inc. is great. Have yet to see Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (Thanks for the tip). Anyway, to be fair, Food Inc. also includes the corn & soy industries if I recall correctly. I don't remember if they were presented but wheat and something else I'll remember later round out the over processed on the plant side.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:37 pm 
Rabbit

Yeah, those were included also. I have yet ti eliminate corn from my diet but I'm working on it. ;)

Where the attitude goes, the mind goes. Where the mind goes, the body goes. Where the body goes, others will follow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:52 pm 
Elephant

hellguy wrote:
I have yet ti eliminate corn from my diet

Try just eating it raw, right on the cob, all fresh and sweet and juicy. I save it for dessert and peel back a husk or two, then sink my teeth into plump kernels just exploding with natural sugar. What a rush! I always include a row or two of sweet corn in my garden every year just for this simple pleasure. When it's not processed or compromised, it tends to have zero negative impact, especially in moderation. But good luck with moderation when it's this good right out of the garden!

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:05 pm 
Rabbit

I have. I love sweet corn raw. But it's fattening for those of us still carrying a little extra. :D

Where the attitude goes, the mind goes. Where the mind goes, the body goes. Where the body goes, others will follow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 pm 
Elephant

hellguy wrote:
I have. I love sweet corn raw. But it's fattening for those of us still carrying a little extra. :D

That's easy: just eat it with abandon when it's in season. That's only a month out of the year. That way, you can go nuts and feel no guilt. Nom, nom, nom.... :thumbright:

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:08 am 
Rabbit

Woo hoo! Love that idea.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:13 am 
Manatee

i'm not sure what causes this but i notice that time seems to move way slower. i time my rests between sets 90 seconds and it can feel like 5-10 minutes.