My routine, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I currently hit the gym five days per week. In order, it is chest and triceps, cardio and abs, legs, cardio and abs, back and biceps. I do one exercise one week and the next week a different exercise for the same area. So for example: I would only bench press ever other week and in between I do flys.

My son is also working out with me and he is in the beginner stage so complex workouts are out if the question. Plus, our gym is limited.

Any thoughts on this. Feedback is welcome.

Sent from my DROID X2

• 2 weeks later...

My first goals are to get my dedication back up. Lose some fat in the process and get back some of the strength that I used to have. Part of my problem is the little one. He is in a different place than me and some of the exercises are difficult for him since he is short.

My two week plan is this:

Monday- chest and triceps; Chest press and push downs

Tuesday- cardio and abs

Wednesday- legs; Machine press

Thursday- cardio and abs

Friday- back and biceps; Curls and rows.

The second week is the same split but I substitute a different exercise for each group.

in order it is:

Fly's and rope extensions

cardio and abs

leg extensions and leg curls with the hip adductor and abductor thrown in

cardio and abs

dumbbell rows and hammer curls

that is a two week routine. With each day I will add a set of something that will add some variety. Like on bicep days I will do a set of rope curls to failure as a burnout set. Mostly I am trying to get comfortable in the gym and not look too much like an idiot. I am still self-conscious about some of the stuff. Later when I have the time off from school I am gonna dedicate more time to a routine based around free weights. I want to do more sets of low reps, add more food and try to keep the number of different exercises to a minimum.

For a beginner that's not to bad going. Remember the abdominals are like any other muscle group & also need proper rest. I only do weighted cable crunches once a week.

Not seeing any shoulder movements so would advise a type of shoulder press. Are you able to squat? There is no better movement to not only hit your entire legs but also your core. Even if you start at a relatively light weight to get the form right. This is much better than isolation machines.

Don't neglect pushups on a chest day as a movement either.

I'm only 5ft 10" & my height has never been an issue

In a couple of weeks when I get a school break for christmas I plan on lifting heavy for a the entire time. I am trying to figure out what movements I can do that will minimize my time in the gym. Possibly considering bench, squat, military press, pull ups, etc. I really want to do some very basic movements that will focus on a majority of muscle groups. My plan is to bulk a little while I have the extra time. Plus, part of my desire is to add some mass(even if only a little) to the areas that are, imo, lacking.