Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Most nutritious veg?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:57 am 
Manatee

I feel like my veg quotion is lacking some what in my diet, any suggestions? I eat plenty of good food other wise

Post subject: Re: Most nutritious veg?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:04 am 
Rabbit

(what means "veg quotion"?)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:14 am 
Manatee

The portion of my diet that is vegetables

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:46 pm 
Manatee

chlorella = highest chlorophyll containing green food, also DNA, very regenerative and purifying, also very alkalizing which allows you to consume more protein

spirulina = lots of vitamins, minerals, beta carotene, GHA (only otherwise found in breast milk), colors, healthiness

broccoli = testosterone levels, to say the least

spinach = iron, calcium

i'd recommend getting vitamineral green from healthforce.com or veganessentials. it'll cover all your vitamins and minerals and basic vegetable needs. it also has enzymes, shilajit, and is totally amazing. it's this website's most popular green drink, i think.

on top of 2 tablespoons of that (VMG) in OJ as part of my breakfast, my main intake of vegetables comes from whole foods veggie packs from whole foods (with the black styrofoam bottom) which are about $5 per container, and usually include broccoli and cauliflower, onions celery carrots, or stir fry (string beans, green and red pepper, broccoli, zucchini).
i put about 1/3 of assorted vegetables from this source, add spinach, mixed fruits in a vitamix and share it with my family.

from vegan nutrition: plain and simple, i read that you get the jist of your vitamin and mineral needs from combining green and red or yellow vegetables. focus on making sure you get a variety of colors.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:11 pm 
Elephant

awaken375 wrote:
chlorella = highest chlorophyll containing green food, also DNA, very regenerative and purifying, also very alkalizing which allows you to consume more protein

spirulina = lots of vitamins, minerals, beta carotene, GHA (only otherwise found in breast milk), colors, healthiness

These rock. Chlorella is the less intense-tasting of the two and can be easily snuck into smoothies up to one teaspoonful before you will notice it. Mix both chlorella and spirulina into things rather than sprinkling them over the top because the deep green color isn't very sexy when it's stuck between your teeth. Don't ask me how I learned that one. :lachmal:

Spirulina has a mind-boggling amount of balanced protein (scroll down): http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2765/2

Chlorella is also protein-packed and has a bit of B-12, too: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/569428/2

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:17 pm 
Manatee

yes i would recommend either getting chloressence pills (don't taste so bad)
or
mixing both chlorella and spirulina powders in OJ so it can pass across your tongue before settling. you WILL gag from spirulina! even with the OJ. but you will be able to get it down easily.

vitamineral green has smaller amounts of chlorella and spirulina in it, and is quite palatable. it'd be better to get about 2.5g of chlorella and 1-2 tblsp of spirulina, though.. definitely mix with OJ!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:29 pm 
Manatee

Are these supplements?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:11 pm 
Elephant

1. Dark, leafy greens
2. Other greens
3. Other non-root vegetables and fungi
4. Root vegetables

Done!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:47 pm 
Elephant

klaatu21 wrote:
Are these supplements?

Not by definition. They are dried plants, very simple plants. But a lot of people take them like supplements. I consider them a more of a nutrient-stuffed garnish. :D

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:42 pm 
Manatee

If you compare the amount of nutrients to 1 pill-shaped amount of chlorella to 1 huge piece of broccoli, you would be amazed. Technically chlorella and spirulina are sold as supplements but are whole foods and can be eaten in large amounts. They both come in pill or powder form and are taken in small doses but are vegetables that are highly dense in nutrients and kick normal vegetables butts. If you ground up a chlorella pill into water and ground up a pound of broccoli into another container the chlorella pill would probably be darker green..
so technically they are not supplements but conveniently get sold as them. they are not extracts or anything like that, and they are the full serving amount of them as a food source.

there's also a lot of nifty spirulina treats out there.. go raw! brand spirulina bars with banana and sunflower seeds, which taste like banana are good, and veganessentials has those as well as other such items. so does whole foods.
i have some go raw spirulina wafer things that are pretty good, little round neat coin shaped things.
there are some places on the web where you can order a massive amount (5 pounds or so) of spirulina for 50 bucksish. that's a couple months supply if you do 2 tblsp a day. used to be discussed on here.. would have to find it. healthforce.com has a spirulina but is more expensive.. that's sold on veganessentials as well. i've tried several different powders of that and it's all made me gag, so i'm confident that it isn't shipped to me badly (if you wonder the same thing after trying it).
so you may feel like you're supplementing because of how large the serving sizes are, but really you are getting more nutrients, more of a vegetable serving out of them. taken from brendan brazier, plants are basically vessels for the food to be contained in. if you reduce the containment amount to a powder form, it can seem like a small amount of food but really it's not. nutrient density is the priority.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:19 pm 
Elephant

awaken375 wrote:
taken from brendan brazier

His Thrive book is where I lit on the idea of eating nutrient-dense instead of calorie-dense veggies. It works. My hunger is satiated with far fewer calories, I save money, and I don't have to prepare food all day long as a raw vegan. Bonus! :D

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:10 pm 
Manatee

from vegan nutrition: plain and simple:

Protein, Carbohydrates, Vitamins, Minerals, Fats, Enzymes.

get your required amount of these daily and you're eating a fully balanced diet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:51 am 
Manatee

Bloody he'll can't believe I hadn't heard of these before, does anyone have any good recipes with broccoli, I'm not a huge fan but if I can sneak it in somewhere it's all good

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:06 pm 
Manatee

no, but daiya vegan chedder melted on top sounds like a good combination. you could blend mashed potatoes, that, and broccoli into a chunky delicacy! and tofurkey gravy if you want to go spoiled.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:33 pm 
Manatee

good idea