Non-soy vegan diet is just too difficult

wispyman

To get chickens (female chicks) we "destroy" large amount of male chicks at their birth (free-organic-humane-etc doesn't change that situation).

Once the chickens don't lay or produce enough eggs, they will send them to be killed in the same slaughterhouses and replaced by new chickens (same here, free-organic-humane, etc doesn't change that situation either). Well unless it is a special non-profitable egg producer, I know some centers sell eggs from rescued chickens and they are left alone until they die naturally.

Unfortunately refusing animal exploitation in a society that exploits animals will lead to list some food that are "in" or "out" of our ethical engagement. Veganism goes bit beyond animal products and shows that it's possible (in most of the case)...

if you don't have time? What then? What about the people who have two jobs and the single parents? What about people on low incomes who simply can't afford the more expensive pre-prepared vegan foods? What about people who live in places where there are no pre-prepared vegan products available? What about people who have to cook for fussy kids and don't have time to hang around and force them to eat it?

Sometimes we have to compromise and do the best we can in any given situation.

I totally agree with this though, it's not always easy or available to everyone to follow a vegan lifestyle in our non-vegan society.

Yeah, I know. Like I said, every situation is individual. Personally, I get my eggs from mainly rescued hens. They insist that they don't destroy any males and give the females a long and happy retirement. They live right out in the open and quite frankly the farmer does them a favour in return for harvesting their eggs, by protecting them against other animals, caring for them when they are ill, offering them warmth in the winter etc. They really love their hens!! XD. However, as you can imagine, for this life time in the countryside and a "happy retirement", the cost of a dozen eggs is nearly 5 euros, as compared to the 2.40 for 12 "free range" eggs in the local supermarket. This is why I could never really envisage a large commercial market for truly free range eggs because people simply wouldn't be prepared to pay for them.

Anyway, given these particular circumstances, I don't personally feel I am betraying my "vegan" ethics for eating these specific eggs...especially considering my intolerance to soy and wheat. Most of my vegan friends still consider me "vegan" where it counts most, and not because I complete some check list of specific dietary habits. I always try to eat, and consume in general, without causing harm to others, or indeed the planet. That I believe is nearly always possible but sometimes it takes a while to find your specific way of achieving it. I've found the only way I can at present, and unfortunately for many narrow minded people I am now an outcast from vegan society, or at the very least de-moted to "vegetarian"!!! Thank god not all vegans are the same! XD