Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soy free protein powders
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:31 pm 
Elephant

InMyChucks wrote:
e. I've heard horror stories about lack of B12 vitamins causing dementia, ha!

A good one-a-day could cost me 20 bucks for a months supply, so shouldn't I just stick with the vega?
Even if you go to rip-off GNC you can find a 3 month supply of vegetarian multi for $18: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3244940

You should definitely take a sublingual B12 supplement regardless of vega or a multi. Aim for 1mg twice a week. I don't know about dementia, I think the first symptom of deficiency is loss of sensation in your fingers and toes, but by that point the damage is basically irreversible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:07 pm 
Finch

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this enquiry,

I found that using Soy powders gave me bloating and gas. I looked around for others and eventually purchased Garden of Life *Raw Protein* and *Raw Meal Replacement*.
My only problem with these powders is the the PRICE. I go through them quite rapidly and it gets expensive (VEGA is 64 bucks a hit).
I own a Vitamix machine with a grinder attachment for making flour. I have considered using it to grind dry lentils, split peas and maybe some beans to use as protein supplement.

Has anyone here tried doing this with good results? Is it safe to consume dry peas and legumes without cooking them?

Thanks for your time,
Chris :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:56 pm 
Rabbit

You can consume uncooked beans and legumes if you sprout them.
Not sure about non-soaked/sprouted.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:32 am 
Gorilla

Chris Wood wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this enquiry,

I found that using Soy powders gave me bloating and gas. I looked around for others and eventually purchased Garden of Life *Raw Protein* and *Raw Meal Replacement*.
My only problem with these powders is the the PRICE. I go through them quite rapidly and it gets expensive (VEGA is 64 bucks a hit).
I own a Vitamix machine with a grinder attachment for making flour. I have considered using it to grind dry lentils, split peas and maybe some beans to use as protein supplement.

Has anyone here tried doing this with good results? Is it safe to consume dry peas and legumes without cooking them?

Thanks for your time,
Chris :)

Another alternative, if you can find it, would beHarmonized Vegan Protein. I try and stay away from soy and it's the powder I can get around here with the most bang for my buck.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone's had success grinding their own powder, though, because that would be ideal.

IRON MNTN // LOG

Post subject: New Vegan Formulas from True Protein
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:50 am 
Rabbit

"True Protein is proud to announce that we have developed and released two brand new Pre-Mix Protein formulas specially designed for our vegan and vegetarian customers! Getting your daily protein intake can be tough for many heavy lifters, but this is especially difficult for vegans and vegetarians with limited options in their restrictive diets. True Protein looks to help with the Vegan Protein Optimizer Formula and the Vegan Wholefoods Meal Replacement Formula:

Vegan Protein Optimizer Formula

Clean, great tasting, and best of all, completely vegan. The Vegan Protein Optimizer Formula has been specially designed to meet the growing needs of vegans and vegetarians looking for a complete protein powder to meet their daily protein requirements. Why pay outrageous retail prices for low-cost materials to meet your personal lifestyle? This rounded formula contains three of the highest-quality vegetable and grain-based protein powders available on the market: Gemma Pea Protein Isolate, Rice Protein Concentrate, and Hemp Protein. Each of these materials are non-GMO, and processed using the cold-water filtration method:

45% Gemma Pea Protein Isolate
45% Rice Protein Concentrate
10% Hemp Protein

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6976

Vegan Wholefoods Meal Replacement Formula

Finding a quick, easy, but most importantly, complete meal replacement for the vegan and vegetarian can be difficult on the run, but not when you have the Vegan Wholefoods Meal Replacement Formula to help you out! By combining three of the highest-quality vegetable and grain-based protein powders with oats, psyllium fiber, and flax, True Protein has created a great tasting, great mixing meal replacement formula to meet your vegan lifestyle! For the best tasting, all-natural results, we recommend mixing with the Natural Premium Flavor systems.

48% Gemma Pea Protein
23% Rice Protein Concentrate
15% Hemp Protein
10% Swedish Oat Starch
2% Psyllium Seed Husk Fiber
2% Flax Seed Oil Powder

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6977" -CNIzz

http://66.147.240.153/~trueprot/showthread.php?t=37477

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:20 am 
Elephant

Cool I'll have to try those out next order. The biggest problem I have is their flavorings are weak and they didn't change that for these mixes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:01 pm 
Rabbit

hey, what about the whey protein is this good to...what would be the comparison of the whey and the soy protein?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:19 am 
Finch

Hey,Thanks for sharing this info..I am using this soy powder daily.I am taking milk added with soy powder.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:36 pm 
Finch

www.growingnaturals.com makes a soy free protein powder from whole grain brown rice. Check it out and compare.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:30 am 
Rabbit

this is a really interesting thread!
I leave in europe and I think the only store that will ship in Italy are myprotein and bulkpowder.
So my choice is limited to pea powder protein, brown rice powder protein and hemp powder protein. I have to exclude the pea's proteins because their taste is horrible... someone confirmed that in this topic.
So I'll buy the brown rice powder protein and hemp powder protein.. are they complete protein?
To obtain complete proteins, how or with what I can combine or mix these proteins?

ty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 am 
Gorilla

My fav are Sunwarrior and Vega. Also like Garden of Life. These days I can have Shakeology too (yay vegan flavors) so I get that in as well.

I only really worry about adding extra when I know I'm super active...which I'm going to be over the next few months.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:38 pm 
Elephant

Does anyone know if sprouted bread has a better amino acid profile than regular?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:20 pm 
Finch

I would recommend that if you guys go with a vegan protein powder (and I'm sure that's pretty much everyone on this board because we all need protein). You do a little bit of research about the taste. I've wasted way too much money on powders that I couldn't down.

The best ones I've found are hemp powders. They're easy to cover up in fruit shakes and it blends pretty easy. The best one I've found is the Nutivia hemp powder.

I would try http://veganproteinpowders.net, the dude gets a bunch of samples and posts up reviews of each one. Please do your research before dropping money!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:26 am 
Finch

gibry wrote:
this is a really interesting thread!
I leave in europe and I think the only store that will ship in Italy are myprotein and bulkpowder.
So my choice is limited to pea powder protein, brown rice powder protein and hemp powder protein. I have to exclude the pea's proteins because their taste is horrible... someone confirmed that in this topic.
So I'll buy the brown rice powder protein and hemp powder protein.. are they complete protein?
To obtain complete proteins, how or with what I can combine or mix these proteins?

ty

HAHAHA I've got the exactly issue going on.
Allergic to soy. Pea tastes horribly. Hemp is only 55% protein. Brown rice last possibility! There are also online shops selling wheat protein. But I am consuming much seitan, which consists of wheat gluten. So, no option for me!

Anyone ever tried lupine protein concentrate?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:34 pm 
Gorilla

i think we dont need extra protein powders at all. Hemp is terrible, and I dont even want to know what pea protein tastes like
and Fallen Horse: i heard sprouting makes wheat grain become complete protein... but should you really care? protein combining ... not necessary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next