What are the bulkers eating???

Admit my eating wasn't great today. Always tricky with working shifts :/

I feel you - I just relocated and am now working two jobs. And while one of them is at a grocery store (at Whole Foods, nonetheless) it's still hard for me to plan my meals and because I'm strapped for cash and always on-the-go. I've been seriously slacking on making sure I'm eating big and hitting my protein-need but I plan on changing that as soon as I get paid this Friday. Luckily, that'll also be the last session I'll be testing 1RMs so I can jump right in on Monday. From then on it's Eat Big, Sleep Big, Get Big.' To prepare for that, I plan on making a massive PWO shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes for the top layer instead of those boring old regular ones.

Quick question: I know you don't count your macros but whereabouts do you think your fat-intake is? Unless there's a lot in the fake chicken/meats, I assume you get most of it from just the 2TB PB and the eggs?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For fats I was adding 1 table spoon of olive oil into my shakes. Also pb, avocados, fake meats like soya burgers, quorn products. Of course pizza.

Try having a bagel with pb & honey & a breakfast shake. 300ml milk, 2-3 table spoons oats, 1 banana & scoop of protein & whizz it up, If you can two bagels lol.

My gains have been pretty great in all honesty but maybe when i get to the point i need to cut, i will start crunching the numbers a bit more.

If you want any advice ect feel free to pm man.

Sounds rough but a tin of baked beans, 150g pasta & a good serving of your fav substitute cheese will also be very filling & also excellent fuel. I swear by that meal & is very cheap Good protein content too

Definitely will try this as I always neglect incorporating pasta into my diet. I tend to favor potatoes and oats for my carb sources. I do love me some baked beans, though.

Usual Breakfast now (a single meal):

Porridge:

100g oats (measured raw) cooked in 2 cups water

an apple, pear, or banana chopped up and put into it.

1/2 tsp Cassia cinnamon

1tbsp Flaxseed

topped with piping hot 'Soy milky lite' Soy milk

250ml water with 20g Sunwarrior Vanilla Protein Powder.

A piece of wheat free toast with a nut butter and 100% fruit Jam (sometimes).

Meal 5 (Dinner):

Usually:

1/2 a head to 1 head of broccoli (steamed)

1 carrot (steamed)

1/2 sweet potato (steamed)

4 brussel sprouts and a handful of green beans (steamed)

100g tofu (Grilled) with bbq sauce.

throughout the day i will have about:

3 pb and j sandwiches

2 coffees

2 more pieces of fruit

more porridge

Another protein shake

^ Your ability to eat that much is enviable. I thought I just did well killing a can of black beans, half of a huge onion, a tomato, two whole wheat rolls, and a banana.

HAHA lol, thanks!

Yeah I can eat quite a bit, my mother almost force feeds that much to me though, as she thinks I am too skinny.

The amount of food you listed that you eat is equally as impressive!

I should have mentioned that the half a head of broccoli that I eat equates to around 1 cup of broccoli (you probably were thinking of a larger head of broccoli hey).

The food you listed sounds nice! I will have to try blackbeans as I haven't had them before.

Here is my food for today. Before you read I'm not a full time vegan. I kinda drift in/out of it. The eggs I eat come from a women who rescued some battery hens. They live on a farm now & this women's hubby is vegan & runs his own human/animal chiropractor clinic. This coming week I have planned a vegan cycle for a wee while.

6:00 x2 scoop protein shake, x2 tbls peanut butter

8:30 1cup oats with soya milk, 2 whole eggs & 2 egg whites

11:30 100g pasta with 1 mixed cup of broccoli & peas x2 soya burgers

2:30. 1 cup cooked brown rice, spring onion & mushroom with fake chicken

5:30. 1 banana & 1 pear

7:30. Mixed leaf salad, tomatoes, onion chutney, pinenuts,balsamic dressing with tofu I ve mixed with various herbs. Home made garlic beard. X1 scoop protein

11:00. I'll eat a type of replacement cheese before bed with a toasted pitta bread

Minus the eggs that would be a good vegan meal day. The fake chicken is egg free. Over the pasta I'll slowing cook in 2 tbls of olive oil some chilli & garlic.

Here is my food for today. Before you read I'm not a full time vegan. I kinda drift in/out of it. The eggs I eat come from a women who rescued some battery hens. They live on a farm now & this women's hubby is vegan & runs his own human/animal chiropractor clinic. This coming week I have planned a vegan cycle for a wee while.

7:30. Mixed leaf salad, tomatoes, onion chutney, pinenuts,balsamic dressing with tofu I ve mixed with various herbs. Home made garlic beard. X1 scoop protein

11:00. I'll eat a type of replacement cheese before bed with a toasted pitta bread

Minus the eggs that would be a good vegan meal day. The fake chicken is egg free. Over the pasta I'll slowing cook in 2 tbls of olive oil some chilli & garlic.

The pasta sounds nice!

The pasta sounds nice!

Proper Asian chilli paste is great in this but it was a

Mission to find one without fish oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Breakfast

Oatmeal, with a handful of Raisins and a chopped banana

Snack. 3 slices of Rye Bread with peanut butter, tomato, onion and spinach

Pre workout.

5 fruits (oranges, apples, clementines) 3 vegetables ( Broccoli, Selleri, Carrots, Beats)

Post workout.

1 scoop of Sunwarrior neutral with water

Lunch

4 Slices of bread with, Avocado, Rucula, Tomatoes, Hemp seeds, Flax seeds, Pepper.

Snack.

Nuts with raisins

Dinner. 2 wholewheat Pitas, Tomatoes, Becel plant butter, Red Onion, Green pepper.

My food scale came in the mail this week, allowing me to find out that I have most definitely been underestimating my intake, explaining my inability to make any gains. However, I also happened to receive a four lb. bag of pea/brown rice protein powder in the mail.

Increase in cals + protein powder restock = winning.

Get one of those mega shakes I put up & a bagel . That'll be a a great kick start.

Don't underestimate the power of x2 rounds of peanut butter sandwiches. These were a

Key part of my gains.

What is your appetite like between meals?

Yeah, I eat 3 pb sandwiches right before bed each night so I know what you mean!

Appetite between meals is non-existent. I attribute a lot of this to still recovering from severely under-eating for a really long time before trying to bulk and then jumping straight into IF. I'm doing a lot better about eating big at least twice a day and then having "smaller" meals 2-3 times a day.

At some point your metabolism should rank up providing your makin it work.

You need to be aiming for four meals & 1-2 snacks (I'm guessing you know this already)

Though I usually just eat a meal & not have snacks I find even after today's 3 soya burgers patties,100g pasta,one cup greens & quarter tin chickpeas my stomach was rumbling about 1 hr 15 mins later. Your appetite is a great indecation on your training. If its responding like I have said then its a great sign.

If however your appetite is low chances are your over training.

I only train three times a week for 60 minutes or 75 minutes tops. On training days, though, my appetite is huge - it's the other days that are pretty difficult despite not being sedentary. I'm probably just overthinking it since being a Former Fat Kid makes bulking a huge mindgame for me but I'm working on that, too.

On a different note, my girlfriend is super supportive of me bulking - she's currently making a pretty epic whole wheat pasta dish for dinner.

I only train three times a week for 60 minutes or 75 minutes tops. On training days, though, my appetite is huge - it's the other days that are pretty difficult despite not being sedentary. I'm probably just overthinking it since being a Former Fat Kid makes bulking a huge mindgame for me but I'm working on that, too.

On a different note, my girlfriend is super supportive of me bulking - she's currently making a pretty epic whole wheat pasta dish for dinner.

I also had to get over that when bulking being overweight in the past. But the gains are worth it. Don't be worried over getting a gut because it's all about getting weight on. You can always take it off when your ready to. Personally I'm strength/power lifting so I'm not all that fussed about a ripped look. I'm in it purely for the mass (when I was running I was pretty ripped)

I train 3 times a week but mc wise all I use are cable tricep pulls, cable crunches (managed to crunch the whole stack this wk for for 8 reps) & maybe leg curls. Everything else is free weight/weighted body or compound. If your eat well on training days that's a good sign.

I'm gonna order Indian food tomorrow, think I deserve it after a 60 hr working week & eating mega clean.

I focus on the big three lifts and only do a few other things at the end of each work out (generally burn sets with light weight) - I was concerned with being ripped when I first got into lifting but now I'm only concerned with getting stronger. In fact, I've been seriously considering doing powerlifting competitions later down the road and, even though that's a long ways away, it's definitely a big motivator for me.

I smashed the pasta dinner and followed it up with a peanut butter cup and shake - felt good.

And Indian food is always a good reward. I always go for that or Thai.

I focus on the big three lifts and only do a few other things at the end of each work out (generally burn sets with light weight) - I was concerned with being ripped when I first got into lifting but now I'm only concerned with getting stronger. In fact, I've been seriously considering doing powerlifting competitions later down the road and, even though that's a long ways away, it's definitely a big motivator for me.

I smashed the pasta dinner and followed it up with a peanut butter cup and shake - felt good.

And Indian food is always a good reward. I always go for that or Thai.

Awesome I'll have a look after your journal. I would usually design my own plans but I found a pretty sweet 5x5 3 day split over at builtfit. Getting some great results using that along with a lifting calculator.

I'm de loading atm but the plan round 7 th week has me worried (in a good way)

I'll get that Morrocan recipe to you over next couple of days