Best protein powder?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

klaatu21
Manatee

Best protein powder?

#1 Postby klaatu21 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:44 pm

What is the best vegan protein powder? Hemp,rice or pea? I don't really want to use soya and I know hemp only usually comes up as 50% protein but it's a complete protein so is quality better than quantity?

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

Re: Best protein powder?

#2 Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:07 pm

I think most people go for a pea+rice blend, to get completeness and still keep the taste manageable....
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

vegansludge
Manatee

#3 Postby vegansludge » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:I think most people go for a pea+rice blend, to get completeness and still keep the taste manageable....

Yep. I have a 65/35 split and I throw in a tablespoon or two of hemp occasionally.
"When in doubt, squat and run hills." - Jim Wendler

IRON MNTN // LOG

klaatu21
Manatee

#4 Postby klaatu21 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:01 am

Where do you get yours from? I was goin to get the rice from my protein but it seems to always be sold out

Nicholas_Weir
Gorilla

#5 Postby Nicholas_Weir » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:26 am

Just curious, why is soy bad? I have been thinking off buying some, but if there is a logical reason not to I wont.

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold

My Training Journal:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321

klaatu21
Manatee

#6 Postby klaatu21 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:09 am

Increased oestrogen levels aparantly

Nicholas_Weir
Gorilla

#7 Postby Nicholas_Weir » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 am

klaatu21 wrote:Increased oestrogen levels aparantly

Oh okay!

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold

My Training Journal:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321

klaatu21
Manatee

#8 Postby klaatu21 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm still not convinced though

multipass
Rabbit

#9 Postby multipass » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Nicholas_Weir wrote:Just curious, why is soy bad? I have been thinking off buying some, but if there is a logical reason not to I wont.

hybridization and gmo, bad digestibility, and estrogen

the first 2 seem to be true, not sure about the third

vegansludge
Manatee

#10 Postby vegansludge » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:12 pm

Nicholas_Weir wrote:
klaatu21 wrote:Increased oestrogen levels aparantly

Oh okay!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... e_big_deal

IRON MNTN // LOG

Simi
Rabbit

#11 Postby Simi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:51 pm

victosken wrote:Casein digests much slower and will provide your body with a constant flow of nutrients for a longer amount of whey protein powder time.American was ranked one of the best tasting supplements on the market and is available in the choice of flavors.

Errr true... but it's made from milk. Ok if you're vegetarian, but I'm guessing he's after a vegan one!

I spent ages reading the fine print, comparing amino acid profiles and got way too obsessed with it I just had to take a step back! They're all pretty even, but a blend that uses protein from multiple plant sources seems to have a more balanced profile. I recommend Vega, which you can buy from the links on the main site. You can also get it from websites such as vitacost and iherb along with plenty of other vegan proteins to browse through. The store on bodybuilding.com has a plant protein section too.
Flavor-wise I've found anything with pea protein can go quite thick if you don't use enough water (this actually makes an awesome mousse!) and rice is very "dusty" feeling in the mouth. You can't drink them and expect them to taste AMAZING but with a little perseverance you adapt to the flavor. I love them now!

The ones I have tried are Vega - probably the best amino profile. Mixes quite thick, vanilla flavor is subtle, chocolate has a very rich cocoa flavor. Overall 9/10.

Nitrofusion - Pea/artichoke/amaranth/quinoa protein - same consistency as Vega, more of a subtle flavor in the chocolate. I'm a sweet tooth and found this one a little nicer with an extra teaspoon of stevia added. Overall 7/10

Sunwarrior - Rice protein. Once I got used to the chalky feeling, I actually really loved the tase of this one, and I have to say flavor wise it's been my favorite, doesn't get as thick as the others and the chocolate flavor is well balanced. I found the amino profile beat Vega on some singular amions, while it lacked in others. I give this an 8/10

The others I would be interested in trying are RAW protein (looks great, but the fact that it's unflavored scares me!) and Lifetime Basics Plant protein looks good too.

You might want to have a look on those websites, see what's out there and just try a few till you find one that suits you. You could also try emailing companies for samples.

Hope this helps a little, sorry it turned into a bit of a rant!
Sim

klaatu21
Manatee

#12 Postby klaatu21 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:12 pm

ive worked out a good amino profile from my food alone so i guess the answer is no longer valid haha

Simi
Rabbit

#13 Postby Simi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:31 pm

klaatu21 wrote:ive worked out a good amino profile from my food alone so i guess the answer is no longer valid haha

Thats great! If you still wanted one, I'd make a choice based in flavor in that case ;)
If it's not rude of me asking, what does your diet look like? I'm just interested, and on the hunt for new ideas ;)

vegansludge
Manatee

#14 Postby vegansludge » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:28 pm

victosken wrote:Casein digests much slower and will provide your body with a constant flow of nutrients for a longer amount of whey protein powder time.American was ranked one of the best tasting supplements on the market and is available in the choice of flavors.

It's actually not necessary to have a constant flow of nutrients/meal timing isn't that important other than PWO and even that is debatable.

IRON MNTN // LOG

klaatu21
Manatee

#15 Postby klaatu21 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:54 am

Simi wrote:
klaatu21 wrote:ive worked out a good amino profile from my food alone so i guess the answer is no longer valid haha

Thats great! If you still wanted one, I'd make a choice based in flavor in that case ;)
If it's not rude of me asking, what does your diet look like? I'm just interested, and on the hunt for new ideas ;)

I've posted my meal plan in another post if you want to check it out, I've only been on it a couple of days so I can't vouch for it yet

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”