Close grip bench

1x10x62.5kg

DB bench

1x8x30kg DBs

Close grip Lat pulldowns

1x9x75kg

Leg Press

1x30x145kg

Deadlifts were easy. 2 new beltless 5RMs. Didn't spend any more than 1 or 2 seconds at the bottom, enough for the weight to come to a stop.

Okay so Friday the plan was to do light squats/bench in the morning and then go do some strongman stuff at night with a friend. Worked upto 100kg x5 squat and my back was so stiff between sets and getting worse that I decided just to call it quits. Done some light DB work later on. It's a shame because the squats were feeling like nothing.

Mon 21st November 2011

High bar Squats (with belt)

1x5x127.5kg

1x5x130kg

1x5x132.5kg

Bench

2x5x67.5kg

1x6x70kg

Barbell rows

5x5x70kg

BB Skull Crushers

3x10x15kg

Ab Rollouts

3x10

Felt weak as shit during squats/bench. Got a video of squats, might upload later. Done this workout in the house rather than club. Skull crushers were mostly figuring out what I was doing and what grip to use. A narrower grip seemed to put less stress on my bad elbow.

Great to hear from you Mary!! I hope your training is going well

Wed 23rd November 2011

Deadlift (no belt)

1x5x175kg

1x5x177.5kg

1x5x180kg

Close grip bench

1x10x65kg

DB bench

1x10x30kg DBs

Close grip Lat Pulldowns

1x10x72.5kg

Leg Press

1x30x150kg

Deadlifts easy as fuck, again! Barely any rest at the bottom of reps. I normally get into gym about 5pm and warmup/setup for starting at 5.30pm. Today couple of guys were there already starting at 5 so I just joined in, warmed up between first couple of sets. Was rapid speed, but it worked really well. Was finished my deadlifting in about half the time it normally takes.

Bench, surprisingly good today. Dunno where it came from cause it's been weak the last week or so. Matched my DB 10RM set earlier in year, get the 32.5kg DBs out next week

Nailed everything else. Leg Press sticking to the plan, just adding 5kg a week for 1 max set. Got 30 reps again lol. They'll taper down eventually, can't add 5kg forever.

After over a month of high bar squatting, back to low bar today

Mon 28th November 2011

Squats (with belt)

3x4x135kg

Bench

2x4x72.5kg

1x5x72.5kg

Barbell Rows

5x5x72.5kg

Weighted dips

3x8 +10kg

Weighted planks

35kg for 30s

45kg for 30s

55kg for 30s

High bar squats weren't too comfy as it got heavier. Felt like I was all over the place with them and starting to cut depth a bit. All reps today low bar were more than deep enough and the power from my hips/back was welcomed back. Pretty solid, last rep in the last 2 sets were a bit slow but not complaining.

Weightlifting club closed today because of the strikes, so home session and not able to deadlift.

Afternoon;

Wed 30th November 2011

Front Squat (no belt)

1x5x80kg

1x5x90kg

1x3x100kg

1x10x60kg

Close grip bench

1x8x67.5kg

DB Bench

1x8x29.5kg DBs

Close grip Lat Pulldowns

1x12x60kg

Then I got a text message asking if I wanted to deadlift at 5 at a gym in a town nearby.

Evening

Deadlift (with belt)

1x4x182kg

1x4x185kg

1x5x190kg

Solid.

Front squat was an easy triple. Don't actually think I've went above 80ish in it before, so was quite happy. It feels heavy on the shoulders but the actual squatting was easy.

• 2 weeks later...

Fri 2nd December 2011

Axle Clean&Press

51kg 1 Clean, 5 Press

61kg 1 Clean, 3 Press

66kg 1 Clean, 3 Press

66kg 1 Clean, 3 Press

71kg 1 Clean

76kg Clean Fail

Circus DB

22kg (Clean & Press) x3 each arm

27kg 1 Clean, 3 Press (right arm)

33kg (Clean & Press) x2 (right arm) failed 3rd

Axle double overhand hold

90kg 32 seconds (smooth axle)

Squats (no belt)

2x5x100kg

Axle curls

1x5x31kg

Chins

Barbell Rollouts

10 BW

5 +10kg

Mon 5th December 2011

Bodyweight = 83.7kg

Squat (with belt)

1x4x137.5kg

1x4x140kg

1x4x142.5kg

Bench

2x4x72.5kg

1x3x75kg (failed a 4th, horrendous...narrowed my grip a bit as sets went on)

Barbell Rows

5x10x50kg

Weighted dips

3x6 +12.5kg

Weighted plank

30s each at 35kg, 45kg, 60kg

Wed 7th December 2011

Deadlift (with belt)

1x4x185kg

1x4x190kg

1x3x200kg (failed a 4th...was more a technical error)

Close grip bench

1x7x67.5kg

DB bench

1x7x32.5kg DBs

Leg Press

1x20x155kg

Pullups

Chins

Thu 8th December 2011

Speed Squats (no belt)

8x3x85kg

Pushups

Fri 9th December 2011

Speed Front Squats

8x3x65kg (no belt obviously..)

Speed Bench

8x3x50kg

Chins

3x5

Pushups

3x12

So basically since last Friday my shoulders have been fucked (especially left, which has been a reoccuring injury since I started working out. It feels like tendons as it goes right down my bicep). Last time I got it from hang cleans...and it's no surprise it's started giving me bother since doing axle cleans and extra shoulder work.

So quite happy with squats/deadlifts/planks, my strength's definitely coming back there. Squats are deep. With my deadlifts recently basically I take a deep breath, setup and pull, breathe on the way down and as soon as the bar comes to a rest pull again. I was only going to triple 200kg and hesitated going for a fourth. Spent too long on the ground, loosened up and took a couple of breaths. Couldn't get tight again before pulling and failed the lift about half way up. Loosening up at the bottom was an old problem that was solved my just taking minimum time between reps (all to do with staying tight) and I should've just left it. But hey, the first 2 reps were so fucking easy that it didn't totally kill my confidence.

Squats on monday my shoulder blade was hurting (right) but this went away by the time I took my main sets. Bench was just uncomfortable. Close grip bench on wednesday was painfully uncomfortable on my shoulder, DBs weren't as bad but may still have been doing some damage.

After this morning's workout (Friday) it feels a bit uncomfortable. Bench was the main culprit, but only when I was going fast on the descent.

Loved doing speed work on Friday, it's always been a kind of light day. But this way it keeps the pace up and gets the heart going a bit too. Can see it sticking. Squats last Friday and yesterday were uncomfortable on the shoulders....dunno if I'll be doing much Monday. I was planning on peaking towards the end of the year but xmas is coming up and going to make things difficult. And the shoulder is making me just want to rest up.

That is some strong DB benching chewy, especially considering that your shoulders have been bothering you to say the least!
You know I slowed down the descent a lot more on my DB bench this cycle and I always keep them tight to me (similar to close grip benching). Both of them seem to be going well, while my normal bench is sucking. Prob because I didn't do normal grip benching on Friday for a few weeks and I don't really do any chest work.

My normal bench was at it's strongest when I was going heavy twice a week just for one heavy triple or set of 5. But then again I was packing on quite a few KG's bodyweight at the time.

The shoulder's more offputting than it is affecting my strength. Got a weekend of recovery ahead, see how it is on Monday.

Glad to see you're still here man, I got worried something happened. That's awesome you're doing strongman stuff; I'm actually looking to do some myself, but there really aren't any gyms in the area that offer that. I'm planning on making some homemade stuff soon, but I'd really love to train at a strongman gym. Take care of those shoulders.

That is some strong DB benching chewy, especially considering that your shoulders have been bothering you to say the least!
You know I slowed down the descent a lot more on my DB bench this cycle and I always keep them tight to me (similar to close grip benching). Both of them seem to be going well, while my normal bench is sucking. Prob because I didn't do normal grip benching on Friday for a few weeks and I don't really do any chest work.

My normal bench was at it's strongest when I was going heavy twice a week just for one heavy triple or set of 5. But then again I was packing on quite a few KG's bodyweight at the time.

The shoulder's more offputting than it is affecting my strength. Got a weekend of recovery ahead, see how it is on Monday.

Interesting, I will have to give that close grip pressing a go.

Best of luck with your shoulder recovery!

Mon 12th December 2011

Squats (with belt)

1x5x120kg

1x3x135kg

1x3x142.5kg

1x3x150kg

Bench

4x5x65kg

1x10x65kg

Barbell rows

5x5x70kg

Weighted dips

3x5 +15kg

Weighted planks

30s each with 35kg, 50kg, 65kg

A satisfying workout. Not much shoulder pain (only on dips really). Although I've squatted 150kg x5 in the past, depth was questionable. Today's were all deep for a triple.

Wednesday 14th December 2011

Deadlift (with belt)

1x2x190kg

1x2x210kg

5x3x170kg

OHP

5x5x40kg

Close grip Bench

1x5x67.5kg

DB Bench

1x5x32.5kg DBs

Leg press

1x20x160kg

Close grip lat pulldowns

1x10x75kg

The bad;

It took 45 mins after my first warmup till I was doing 210kg. Totally not in the mood, I hate slow paced training. Lots of people sharing the one bar, no-one else going heavy so no urgency.

Pressing strength was awful (including bench).

Shoulder still uncomfortable during close grip bench.

The good;

210kg for a double - with more in the tank!

Leg press and lat pulldown strength pretty good considering I felt fucked.

Thu 14th December 2011

Speed Squats (no belt)

8x3x90kg

BB Curls

"21" with 15kg

Some reverse crunches and bicycles for abs

Fri 15th December 2011

Front squats

1x5x60kg

1x5x80kg

1x5x90kg (belt)

1x5x100kg (belt)

1x5x105kg (belt + SS thor knee sleeves)

Bench

5x5x66kg (extra rep on last set)

Mon 19th December 2011

Squats (with belt)

5x5x130kg

Bench

5x5x67.5kg

Push Press (first time doing it except axle)

5x5x50kg

Weighted dips

5,5,6 +17.5kg

Tricep rope pushdowns

1x12x10kg

Weighted planks

3x30s +40kg

Tue 20th December 2011

Speed Front Squats (hungover)

8x3x65kg (no belt of course)

Not much to report. Been squatting a lot. Glad to hit 130kg for 5x5 (especially on a monday morning). Front squats been decent. Bench has been tough but been making targets.

Been squatting a lot.

These are the exact words I texted to my friend today when they asked what I've been up lately and, paired with your description of front squats being "hungover," why I've always enjoyed reading your log (even when I was just a lurker).

Strong lifts are strong, mate, keep at it! Also, finally sub'd this thread despite always creeping on it.

How do you find speed squats chewy? I find they are better to use to warm up as opposed to cardio (bike, running).
They definitely get the heart going, I use them for recovery and maintaining flexibility (obviously for squatting but also it gives me a purpose to stretch on days off where I'd usually just be sitting about stiffening up). It keeps these sessions short and effective.

I would use these maybe at the start of a cardio session or something but I wouldn't use them for warming up before doing some higher intensity squatting as I'd be too tired haha. Although the weight is low on speed squats (typically 50-70%) it still is a lot of volume and short rest time.

Definitely enjoying them. Take too much rest on the heavy days between sets and the sessions go on forever, so it's good to change it up every other day.

Squatting more is always advantegous.

EDIT; on a side note I never use stuff like cardio machines for warming up. Every session (no matter what it is) I always warm up my shoulders with a purple mini band doing dislocations, pull aparts, a rotator cuff movement and behind the head pulldowns. On the main days mon/wed/fri I'll do this warmup (http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html#question04 with squat to stands in place of groiners). On the speed days I'll just pick any of these at random really just to get myself ready for the upcoming exercise. Depends what areas are needing stretched/warmed up the most.

Then I just take the bar and a few warmups leading upto work set.

How do you find speed squats chewy? I find they are better to use to warm up as opposed to cardio (bike, running).
They definitely get the heart going, I use them for recovery and maintaining flexibility (obviously for squatting but also it gives me a purpose to stretch on days off where I'd usually just be sitting about stiffening up). It keeps these sessions short and effective.

I would use these maybe at the start of a cardio session or something but I wouldn't use them for warming up before doing some higher intensity squatting as I'd be too tired haha. Although the weight is low on speed squats (typically 50-70%) it still is a lot of volume and short rest time.

Definitely enjoying them. Take too much rest on the heavy days between sets and the sessions go on forever, so it's good to change it up every other day.

Squatting more is always advantegous.

EDIT; on a side note I never use stuff like cardio machines for warming up. Every session (no matter what it is) I always warm up my shoulders with a purple mini band doing dislocations, pull aparts, a rotator cuff movement and behind the head pulldowns. On the main days mon/wed/fri I'll do this warmup (http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html#question04 with squat to stands in place of groiners). On the speed days I'll just pick any of these at random really just to get myself ready for the upcoming exercise. Depends what areas are needing stretched/warmed up the most.

Then I just take the bar and a few warmups leading upto work set.

Haha, cool, we have the same take on speed squats then. I should have worded my sentence better (I don't use squats to warm up, but I have them at the beginning of my legs hypertrophy day, which usually tends to warm me up for the remainder of my workout.)

Yeah, I totally agree with you about the large amount of volume.

I will definately have to try and warm up with bands one day as you mentioned as I currently never technically warm up and just jump into it; it probably isn't that good for me :S

Wed 21st December 2011

Deadlift (with belt)

3x3x185kg

Speed pulls (with belt except first set)

3x3x150kg

Power shrugs

3x5x132.5kg

Romanian deadlifts

1x5x90kg

1x5x100kg

1x5x110kg

Barbell rows

3x5x65kg

Lat pulldowns (underhand close grip)

3x5x70kg

Good mornings

3x5x60kg (weight is super easy but always cautious when doing these for first time in a while)

This was a beast of a session. I never do shrugs and my traps are fucking killing today. Bodyweight 83.4kg this morning.