The Veganbod : After 9 Months

So, I was a skinny vegan for over 25 years - and then when I turned 40 I stacking packing on the weight. I couldn't get away with it any longer. Besides, I was skinny but not very healthy.

So, I bought two books : Brendan Braziers 'Thrive Fitness' and Robert Cheeke's 'Vegan Bodybuilding' - these are my training and nutrition bibles.

So my regime has been to pick the best exercises and some nutrition tips from Brendan's book, and bodybuilding inspiration and the top 5 supplements from Robert's book.

Since March 2011, I've been going to the gym 2-3 times a week on average. I've also hired help from a trainer, who I see about every 2-3 months for catch-ups and assigning new workouts (on a budget!).

Vegan bodybuilders are unheard of in these parts (New Zealand), so I would love to hear from anyone if you know of vegan bodybuilders (or just fitness freaks) over here.

So, I'm finally starting to see and feel progress - and I feel that I'm about half way to my goal...

So, with intrepidation, I'm sharing my before/after photo with you.

Finding it hard to build-up my chest, but making slow progress. My arms thickening-up - definitely change but can only really see it when I flex. My stomach... well, I need to do more stretches! My back is now much stronger - I used to always put my back out - but that hasn't happened now for 6 months.

gymprogress.thumb.jpg.95a43e63068c0b46e25bb472be920554.jpg

The Veganbod : 9 months into the Cheeke-Brazier mashup

Myself and Kumaramash are located in Auckland.

Hey, good to know some Kiwis here. Do you know of any other NZ vegan bodybuilders? (I'm based in Wellington).

I've found that the Red8 range is a good affordable source of vegan protein - soy, bean, rice

http://red8.co.nz/product-range/protein-plus-range/

And the Hemp Store in Auckland sells hempseed protein

http://www.hempstore.co.nz/proteinpowder1kg-p-76.html

Anything else you'd recommend that's available in NZ?