diet plan critique and advice

klaatu21

it's natural to graze through out the day, and I'd rather listen to my body, plus I'm trying to gain mass not lose it, I don't have much fat on me to lose as it is

Yah I guess it is natural to graze these days. I don't think our species evolved with the luxury of grazing. They were forced to fast constantly. Calorie restriction and fasting is the most sure fire way to add years to life. I am not a fan of either but not eating for 6 hours in the morning is no great stretch for me and I now enjoy the feeling. I think their are several on this site who benefit from IF.

As a species we only fasted because there was no other option, now food is in abondance it's not a problem, I'm not saying gorge yourself, but calorie restriction isn't healthy, you havnt said what mass gains you've made with fasting

I don't do calorie restriction, but restricting calories is about the healthiest thing on the planet. Google it. http://www.fightaging.org/archives/2001/11/calorie-restriction-explained.php

I have been concentrating on losing fat but I am sure I have reconstituted a couple pounds of muscle in the process. It has only been 5 weeks since starting IF but I am happy with gains so far. MANY have gained muscle while losing fat through IF'ing.

Calorie restriction for longevity and IF while gaining muscle are both FACTS. You asked for advice. Look into each concept and be amazed as I was. Or be content worrying about falling off the edge of the earth...

I can't contribute much on the subject on IF except to say that I did read a couple of studies showing the promising effects of IF on muscle gain. I couldn't argue with it, and I am very skeptical when reading studies especially those which would seem to support some new "trend".

I also have to put that together with the fact that most people want to base what is natural for us as humans on what our ancestors did and thus our own adaptations to such. If that is the case then IF should be a no brainer because that has basically been the norm for most humans for thousands of years of our history.

We never ate every few hours on some strict schedule. That has been recently promoted by (pro/steroid using) bodybuilders and big supplement companies ($$$) and the muscle magazines they've sponsored for several decades.

It also amazes me that we have over 30 feet of small intestines to process our food, every inch of which absorbs nutrients from what is in them (even the large intestine, to an extent), yet most people with any knowledge on diet believe we are to be eating every few hours or we're "starving ourselves". Meat eaters especially both eat frequent high amounts of meat AND are the biggest promoters of high eating frequency, when they are the very ones who strain their systems so much it could take a whole week before they completely pass a meal out.

BTW I've been following the "frequent eating" trend so long that is what I'm currently doing. I've only begun to read about "IF" so I'm not pushing anything on anyone or saying anyone is "wrong" or "right". As I said though it does look promising and I think it is worth a look for those who may be interested.

The idea behind IF is that when you fast it increases your bodies ability and capacity to synthesize protein, thus unlike a person who consumes food every 3 hours with a digestiibility rate of about 40g protein, a person practicing Intermittent Fasting will be able to Synthesize near to 150g protein in the one sitting. Meanwhile, since your body is fassting, it uses up the bodies fat stores throughout the day for energy, so essentially, you sshould be burning fat and building muscle simultaneously, which is usually near impossible to achieve.

I just did but I'm only on my phone, lots of reading but my geeky sense is tingling with anticipation. How long did it take you to work out all your rep maxes?

Sorry, this got buried and I totally overlooked it!

I figured them all out over the course of my then current work outs for a full week. I didn't rely on calculating it, I did it physically so I would be exact.

The hard part came when I had to SD (strategically decondition) for a couple of weeks before I could start the program.

My body BLEW UP on that work out, and I did several cycles which took me from 145 lbs to about 175 lbs of lean mass.

Never during the course of any cycle did I fail to achieve my goals and I only progressively loaded constantly.

The reason I stopped is because I got several injuries I'm ashamed to say. Reason was I had gained so much strength and was lifting so frequently doing IMPROPER movements that I tore a back muscle, messed up a shoulder joint, strained the ligaments in my forearms, and pulled a ligament in my knee (childhood injury also).

I stopped because that program put so much strength on me it scared me. lol

I think if you do it make sure you don't over do anything and listen to your body. Take the time to plan everything before you do it because it is very well worth it. I have since learned proper form on every exercise I'll ever be interested in and always practice it, not only for going back to HST but because it is critical for my own personal joints because I'm an "ectomorph" and have the smaller weaker joints. So when I'm ready and prepared I just may go back to it!

Fasting ≠ muscle gain

Intermittent fasting DOES. I see your posts around here a lot. Why don't you take a gander at some fellow forum members here who have achieved results? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19399&hilit=fasting

My apologies, for not being clearer, I meant, fasting and nnot consuming necessary nutrients does not lead to muscle gain, I do however agree with you that IF achieves results,

I just did but I'm only on my phone, lots of reading but my geeky sense is tingling with anticipation. How long did it take you to work out all your rep maxes?

Sorry, this got buried and I totally overlooked it!

I figured them all out over the course of my then current work outs for a full week. I didn't rely on calculating it, I did it physically so I would be exact.

The hard part came when I had to SD (strategically decondition) for a couple of weeks before I could start the program.

My body BLEW UP on that work out, and I did several cycles which took me from 145 lbs to about 175 lbs of lean mass.

Never during the course of any cycle did I fail to achieve my goals and I only progressively loaded constantly.

The reason I stopped is because I got several injuries I'm ashamed to say. Reason was I had gained so much strength and was lifting so frequently doing IMPROPER movements that I tore a back muscle, messed up a shoulder joint, strained the ligaments in my forearms, and pulled a ligament in my knee (childhood injury also).

I stopped because that program put so much strength on me it scared me. lol

I think if you do it make sure you don't over do anything and listen to your body. Take the time to plan everything before you do it because it is very well worth it. I have since learned proper form on every exercise I'll ever be interested in and always practice it, not only for going back to HST but because it is critical for my own personal joints because I'm an "ectomorph" and have the smaller weaker joints. So when I'm ready and prepared I just may go back to it!

By no means am I calling you out but ... over what length of time did you put on 30 pounds of "lean mass"? I just find that a pretty high number considering that most males can only tack on about a pound or two of muscle a month and they still gain a bit of fat, too.

Also, aside from having weaker joints, don't buy into the hype of "body types" limiting you genetically. It's really all about pushing yourself as hard as you can without getting hurt - kudos on making sure you're using proper form, too! I bet you still saw some growth and strength increase after doing some adjusting.

I gained that over a period of about 1 1/2 years and I did put on quite a bit of fat with that in the end. It wasn't until I lost the weight through a vegan diet that I saw what my "lean" gains were.

Most people do things based in "bro science" so they don't really have optimum gains on a consistent basis. I was lucky to run up on something scientifically based coupled with the discipline to carry it out.

I gained that over a period of about 1 1/2 years and I did put on quite a bit of fat with that in the end. It wasn't until I lost the weight through a vegan diet that I saw what my "lean" gains were.

Most people do things based in "bro science" so they don't really have optimum gains on a consistent basis. I was lucky to run up on something scientifically based coupled with the discipline to carry it out.

Bro-science is the worst science. Because it's not real.

On a serious note: 1 1/2 years is an ample amount of time for those kind of gains - way to go, mate!

On a serious note: 1 1/2 years is an ample amount of time for those kind of gains - way to go, mate!

Thanks! People still accused me of being on steroids. They thought they were insulting me but it was such a huge compliment! If they only knew, I was barely even drinking my protein shakes.