Bulking phase

First: sub'd! Awesome progress.

Second, my advice for calorie cycling is to eat above maintenance with higher carbs/low fat on lifting days since you need the fuel for your work outs and eat at or below maintenance with higher fat/lower carbs on rest days since the higher fat provides satiety when you're used to eating more. How much above/at/below maintenance depends on what your weight goals are, of course, but doing calorie cycling that did wonders for me when I was doing IF and I'm actually about to start doing what I said again as I bump up my calories (realizing you're eating way too low for your activity level is a bummer).

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any kind of fats would work, mate. Just find sources that you like. There's always nut butters, olive oil for cooking, avocados, seeds, hemp proteins, flax oils, dark chocolate, coconut milk, etc.

Maybe instead of tracking calories you should track your macros - it's what easier to put things into perspective that way, especially if you're cycling.

Hey all,

Prob my last post. After a bit of deliberation I have come to the conclusion I shall never be vegan. This is just a personal choice & thus feel to continue posting on here is hypocritical. The fulltime vegan just doesn't suit me. I will always endever to buy local organic as I have been for years.

Hope you all continue your training

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd ressurect this bad boy, why not eh?

Haven't blogged in ages, quick catch up been running with strength trainin last few months. Becoming more more interested in what I can lift than a certain look. Also going to be training with strong men so all this is in mind eg no wrist wraps on pulling movements. In the last 8 months I have gained 21kg of mass & want to add more body weight still:) bulk bulk bulk lol

Seriously the heavier you get the more you can toss about!

First session week 1 on cycle 2 of Wendelrs 5/3/1, running with the programmed assistance lift template from 2nd edition. I will stress that I will not log any weights or reps for my assistance other than what movements I did because I simply don't care, these aren't deal breakers. The programmed assistance runs very much like 5/3/1 set up eg percentages of the lift: close grip based of 1rm of 95kg.

I will post some pics soon & also will put some food logs up as (if anyone who reads my posts on diets) Well so people can see what I'm shovelling down my trap. As always I'm not vegan but eggs ect are sourced from a couple I know, as is milk & cheese if you see it listed (perk of knowing country folk)

Any weights that I log over the next few weeks certainly wont be anything spectacular, anyone who's ran 5/3/1 knows its roughly 12ish weeks before your back to the maxes the lifts were based off of. This however allows for some rep records to be started

Body weight 84kg (rougly) Monday-6th-feb

Cycle 2 week 1 (3x5)

Quick blast on treadmill

Warmed up with lighter sets & some band stretches.

Military press: 32.5kg 37.5kg 42.5kg +9 reps (wide grip chins between warm up & working sets)

Close grip bench press (3x10) 40kg 50kg 60kg

Various chin up grips 3x10 (would do these weighted but chins between military drained me)

Assistance: seated cable row, tricep rope extensions, cable bicep curls (these virtually had no weight on)

I can't stress the assistance were very light, I personally wouldn't do so much but the assistance movements we're very easy & this is Wendlers template.

Millitary press was comfy, no problems with shoulder joint or weight (easy). I had completed this workout in under an hr.

Tuesday-7th-feb Cycle 2 week 1 (3x5)

Lifting while you work a job where the shift rota requires working 12hr night shift & 12 hr days sucks. No real sleep pattern & it screws up eating plans. This week I have the pleasure of working a minimum of 60 hrs....

Had slept 5 & a half hours today which was broken sleep but I dragged my ass to the gym before another 12hr stint:/

With my crappy week a head at work the plan was to just hit the required reps & get out, being against the clock before work tonight. Hit 6 reps instead of 5 on last set, plenty left in the tank but time against me. 

Dropping wrist straps has meant a lose of reps but......I feel my grip steadily improving. I'm willing to drop a few reps if it means my grip eventually catches up. Need the grip for strong man training.

Warmed up with a brisk walk then hit the treadmill for intermittent sprints. Then onto some foam rolling & band stretches. X3 lower weight set on deads to.

Deadlift: 80kg 92.5kg 105kg+6

Front squats (3x10): 37.5kg 45kg 50kg

Glute ham raise: 5x10

Nothing major again here fairly easy.

Little ab circuit: crunches with 25kg 25reps, side bends 25 reps a side with 20kg plate, cable crunch 10 reps 95plate & hanging leg raises for 10 reps

Thursday-9th-Feb cycle 2 week 1 (3x5)

Right to the gym after nights. Treadmill sprints, band stretches & lower weight for warm up. Hammer chins during warm up sets 

Barbell bench: 62.5kg 72.5kg 80kg+8

Incline bench (programmed assistance 3x10) 42.5kg 50kg 57.5kg

Kroc rows: (all per arm) warm up 2x10 16kg 1x26kg 25reps, stay at this weight till I get 40 reps 

Upper body assistance all 3x10: hammer strength lat pulls, dips 

Nothing earth shattering. All solid & comfy...cycle 3 has me starting to worry

Friday-10th-Feb Cycle 2 week 1 (3x5)

Usual warm up, brisk walk & intermittent sprints on treadmill followed by foam rolls & stretches with 3x5 lighter weight on squats.

Squats: 85kg 97.5kg 112.5kg

Good mornings (programmed assistance 3x10) 37.5kg 45kg 52.5kg

GHR: 5x10 

Ab circuit: hanging leg raise 10 reps, side bends 20kg plate 20 bends a side, straight leg ups 15 reps & cable crunch 95plate for 10 reps.

Squat felt heavy today (wtf). Usually wear shorts on lower body days but forgot them & felt restricted in joggers. Maybe that's why it felt off  but I pulled through. Hit required reps only, no point carrying on when your getting annoyed.

I still absolutely stink at hanging leg raises......

It's more like 8 months but I usually get the same reaction...I talk to folks who say it's taken them a year to gain just 10kg. I don't know why? When I hear "I'm a hard gainer" I just say "no you don't eat enough" haha

I didn't follow any diets...Just did the simple things. 2g protein per body pound & loads of clean carbs. Olive oil in shakes ect I avoid soya

I don't see a lot of sense in following a diet if your goal is to gain weight, just a rough tracking of macros (if you wanted to) and keeping the bodyfat relatively in check.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on what's happening here, hope you have a good weekend bro. Funny to find out you lived pretty much down the road from me when I was in the UK haha, small world aye.

I don't see a lot of sense in following a diet if your goal is to gain weight, just a rough tracking of macros (if you wanted to) and keeping the bodyfat relatively in check.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on what's happening here, hope you have a good weekend bro. Funny to find out you lived pretty much down the road from me when I was in the UK haha, small world aye.

24hrs of work the wkend kind sir but it leads into 3 & a half days off & some lifting/xboxing.

You must recall crumpets then? I absolutely swear by these as an energy source...I'd eat 4 before running & they use to work wonders for me. I still use them now with peanut/almond butter.

I've never been a "loads of oats" person to perform

People hear something once & talk them selves into believing it haha

So fucking true. Been following the log again - just haven't had the chance to respond until now. You're definitely right about the progress of cycles - the first couple look like a cakewalk but, once you look further down the road, it gets a little hairy.

People hear something once & talk them selves into believing it haha

So fucking true. Been following the log again - just haven't had the chance to respond until now. You're definitely right about the progress of cycles - the first couple look like a cakewalk but, once you look further down the road, it gets a little hairy.

When I scanned over mine my eyes became wider the further I looked on haha

I believe Wendler says you get 7-8 cycles usually before you re do the lifts because of stalling. If you stall on a lift you re calculate that lift & continue with the others if still gaining. If its a general grinding hault you re do the lot

Mon-13th-Feb Cycle 2 week 2 (3x3)

Up at 5:00, have a delivery coming today so up early for breakfast & workout.

Usual warm up then onto military pressing.

Military press: 35kg 40kg 45kg+6

Assistance:

close grip bench (programmed assistance 2x8 1x6 as outlined in program) 47.5kg 55kg 65kg

Chin ups (various grips) 5x10

Tricep push downs, Bicep curls, Narrow grip cable row (all 3x10 light)

Nothing major again & smashed though this. Looking forward to cycle 3 now so I can start gaining on my lifts. Pressing was easy, hit 6 reps with holding a few back on final set. Everything else straight forward, Assistance work kept light....

http://i41.tinypic.com/106j7l3.jpg

Had all this arrive today for the small sum of £20....such an awesome deal.

Great pack to sample their products. They label everything really well on the site to. Maize starch, Whey protein, Creatine, L-glutamine, 1 protein bar, Sample of a gainer, Shaker & instant oats (I wouln't use these but get why people would)

<3 myprotein <3

haha They have 50% off a lot of the bundles right now with free delivery...

Not used them before though known about them. I just sat comparing prices to what I usually buy & really surprised at the price of the range! 5kg of quality whey for £40! Granted unflavoured but still. Pal of mine writes for the site in his spare time & has said he thinks they are a good company.