Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Intermittent fasting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:27 pm 
Gorilla

vegansludge wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
Leangains.com isn't updated that frequently, but when he DOES post it is usually a really high quality post, I love that site.

Definitely not vegan but you might also want to check out http://www.thespartanwarrior.com. Dan is a big supporter of IF/IIFYM and is extremely knowledgeable about IF/IIFYM and debunking bro-science when it comes to nutrition. He also keeps his own training log online (tswlog.tumblr.com) so you can see how he utilizes these concepts himself.

I've gotten back into IF the last week or so after not being able to make it work once I started having two jobs, not sure if I'll keep up with it again since I'm recomping before I start bulking and I can't imagine trying to slam 1,200 calories in one meal (I'm a food-weakling still) but I can honestly say IF rules.

I absolutely agree 100%, that is a BLOODY GOOD SITE!!!

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold

My Training Journal:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:28 am 
Gorilla

Nicholas_Weir wrote:
vegansludge wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:
Leangains.com isn't updated that frequently, but when he DOES post it is usually a really high quality post, I love that site.

Definitely not vegan but you might also want to check out http://www.thespartanwarrior.com. Dan is a big supporter of IF/IIFYM and is extremely knowledgeable about IF/IIFYM and debunking bro-science when it comes to nutrition. He also keeps his own training log online (tswlog.tumblr.com) so you can see how he utilizes these concepts himself.

I've gotten back into IF the last week or so after not being able to make it work once I started having two jobs, not sure if I'll keep up with it again since I'm recomping before I start bulking and I can't imagine trying to slam 1,200 calories in one meal (I'm a food-weakling still) but I can honestly say IF rules.

I absolutely agree 100%, that is a BLOODY GOOD SITE!!!

Dan completely changed my perspective on nutrition, lifting, and myself. It sounds so silly but I really look up to him. And Nate Green as well as this other guy who posts on Bodybuilding.com and logs on Fitocracy - Erik Stevens. All of whom are really inspirational and rad dudes.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:11 am 
Gorilla

I am going to start this today. I see thos transition from eating every three hours to not eating for 14-16 hours being a hard one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:26 am 
Rabbit

It's not that hard. You'll get used to it within a few days.

Post subject: Intermittent fasting
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:23 am 
Manatee

Im another IF'er, have been for close to a month now. I train at 630am and eat from 1200 to 2100. Meals are 2 x 1200 calorie feasts + a large smoothie and nuts. Works out to be 3800 calories. I currently don't cycle my calories but as my weight gain appears to have stalled (which at 160ish bodyweight I do not understand!) I am looking to try and eat more on workout days... I also take 10g of BCAA pre workout, 8am and 10am.

Oh and I love this way of eating!

Facebook - Add me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:04 pm 
Rabbit

Yep, it's cool. You get to eat decent meals and don't have to worry about eating so often.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:52 pm 
Finch

Hi VBBers,

This is my first week on Leangains. So far so good - I'm not getting too many hunger pangs/discomfort and my first meal breaking the fast always feels AWESOME! I am full and satisfied for hours, and my fasted workouts are great - I feel really strong.

Getting enough protein for the day is surprisingly easy, but I'm running into trouble with the amount of carbs - especially on my Rest days. I worked with a friend who was successful on LG to develop appropriate starting macros for myself, and they put me at only 50g carbs on a Rest day. Even if I endeavored to get all of my protein from just tofu, I'm still going to go over my carb allotment for the day. Either that or I'll be drinking a ton of protein shakes!

Wondering if anyone here can give me some tips on keeping the Rest day crazy-low in carbs while keeping protein high. I use (and love!) the Vega meal replacement and protein, but obviously want to get as much of my protein as possible from whole foods.

Any advice for a newb? I really appreciate it.

(If it helps - my complete Rest day macros are 180g protein, 60g fat, 50g carbs. Have yet to figure out some food combos that get me this much protein with this little carbohydrate... looking at a mix of tofu and protein shakes right now.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:11 am 
Gorilla

I really love intermittent fasting, I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now but my body is still adjusting and I get hunger pains through the day, usually not bad but today was real 'bad' I think it might have to do with how hard I lifted yesterday and I may need to eat more on lifting days when I lift that hard. IF, cardio, and lifting also might be affecting my metabolism, but I am not sure.

I eat from 3PM to 11PM and usually go to bed at 12 or 1 AM, wake up, have tea or coffee, then throughout the day a lot of water, sometimes another cup of tea or coffee. If it's my totally off day I break fast with my biggest meal, about 1,000kcal, then a protein shake, about 400kcal, then a big bowl of oats, about 500, then a smaller protein shake, around 250, and some almonds and an apple between 'meals'

On cardio and lifting days I break fast at 3pm with a bit of soy protein because I am too cheap or BCAA, then run 30-45min. Come back and have a protein shake, apple, and some almonds, then my biggest meal, another shake, and a big bowl of oats.

I love not having to worry about food throughout the day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:28 am 
Finch

Also - any recommendations on BCAAs here? I read on another thread that the Purple Wraath maybe might be vegan. But that's $47 at my local Vitamin Shoppe and I'm hoping I don't have to shell out that much to get a quality BCAA. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 pm 
Finch

xjohanx wrote:
cubby2112 wrote:
Intermittent fasting (IF; reduced meal frequency) and caloric restriction (CR) extend lifespan and increase resistance to age-related diseases in rodents and monkeys and improve the health of overweight humans. Both IF and CR enhance cardiovascular and brain functions and improve several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity. Cardiovascular stress adaptation is improved and heart rate variability is increased in rodents maintained on an IF or a CR diet. Moreover, rodents maintained on an IF regimen exhibit increased resistance of heart and brain cells to ischemic injury in experimental models of myocardial infarction and stroke. The beneficial effects of IF and CR result from at least two mechanisms--reduced oxidative damage and increased cellular stress resistance. Recent findings suggest that some of the beneficial effects of IF on both the cardiovascular system and the brain are mediated by brain-derived neurotrophic factor signaling in the brain. Interestingly, cellular and molecular effects of IF and CR on the cardiovascular system and the brain are similar to those of regular physical exercise, suggesting shared mechanisms. A better understanding of the cellular and molecular mechanisms by which IF and CR affect the blood vessels and heart and brain cells will likely lead to novel preventative and therapeutic strategies for extending health span.

Whoops, you've got my attention. Do you have sources to these studies?
I study rodents and am writing a book on updated care for rats, which I'm assuming they tested on.
Infact, whenever y'all come across a study that shows something beneficial or harmful to t rats (or rodents) send it to me plz!

And to get this straight, IF is basically eating between a set of hours and then fasting? Is there a specific time of day or something?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:14 pm 
Finch

Hello all I know this thread is old but I am just curious if people are still following IF protocol?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12