Problems gaining definition in abs

Hey guys, I am sure that there have been posts about this before, but I never found one in the simple and yet specific terms that I am looking for: what is the best way to gain definition in the Abdominal area. I have lost quite a bit of weight, and I believe that my diet is superb, but it could be lacking. I work abs generally 3-4 nights a week pretty intensely. My diet consists of probably around 7-8 grams of protein a day normally-- without supplements. Any tips? I appreciate it!

Abs are built in the kitchen. Doing endless ab workouts won't necerally give you a great looking stomach.

Also abs are like any other muscle, Over work them & it'll have a negative effect.

Bingo. Abs aren't like other muscles that can grow infinitely. If you focus on heavy compound lifts that engage your core, i.e. deadlifts and squats, and your diet is in check with your goals, your abs will start to pop. That is, you will lose the fat that's covering them up. It takes time but Rome wasn't build in a day, you know?

Abs are built in the kitchen. Doing endless ab workouts won't necerally give you a great looking stomach.

Also abs are like any other muscle, Over work them & it'll have a negative effect.

Bingo. Abs aren't like other muscles that can grow infinitely. If you focus on heavy compound lifts that engage your core, i.e. deadlifts and squats, and your diet is in check with your goals, your abs will start to pop. That is, you will lose the fat that's covering them up. It takes time but Rome wasn't build in a day, you know?

Bingo, this is why I try explaining to people that you don't need to dedicate a whole workout just for abs. All I do are really heavy cable crunches once a week. A long with x2 squats, deads is ample.

I may sack off the crunches soon as I'm lifting the whole stack now, weighted ab roll outs Im thinking:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Abs come about from a combination of diet and genetics. Training them is great in a functional sense (strengthening tyour core, reducing the chance of a lower back injury etc etc), but if they're covered by a layer(s) of fat you really need to get rid of that before anything else.

Here's a quick photo I got yesterday, I'm not ripped to shreds (I'm a powerlifter not a bodybuilder) but they're visible. I usually train abs once a week for 10mins. I'm not particularly proud of that photo or anything, rather just trying to highlight a point

If you do heavy compound lifts with good form you will be working the hell out of them on those lifts, train them just like you would do any other muscle group.

2.jpg.b4be42793a82148b1c83fc718a5ee607.jpg

^ to much of a waist for a powelifter & where's your beanie hat???

Only joking mate, strong as fuck & an awesome physic. This is what's called the "money shot" I believe?

I miss my action man pelvis & abs. I'm to hairy & thick skinned to ever get ripped, also I'm practically cover in tattoo now anyway lol could get my current work lasered off & get some sweet abs inked?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...