When do you do your deadlifts?

boardn10

I love having squats in my program but I have yet to figure out where to squeeze in deadlifts. Since deadlifts hit back as well as legs, it creates a problem for me. I get the best results working each body part once a week and I don't like working legs the same day I work back. See my problem? I also don't like to train squats and deadlifts the same workout, but the few times I did, my back was very sore and I didn;t want to do then do back two days later.

Thoughts?

I do a power/hypertrophy split currently but, since you don't like doing squats and deads on the same day, that's probably not what you're looking for.

Perhaps you could incorporate them with bent over rows as those hit the back as well - I did that for a while over the summer and it worked out decently.

I will have to play around with different scenarios. When I try to do reads on Monday after squats, my legs shake terribly. Then my upper back can be really sore on Wednesday which messes up my Wednesday workout. I tried bent rows one program right after deadlifts and I hurt my lower back because my thighs were so spent by the time I did bent rows. I find for squats, deads or heavy rows, my legs and back need to be fresh so it is tough to do any of them the same day. One thing that may work is right now I am doing squats on Monday so I can do stiff legged deadlifts Wednesday which is back day. I say that because my hams are never that sore after Monday squats, it is always my quads that get blasted, so my hams seem ready. I will just avoid barbell bent rows during this program.

Thanks everyone for listening.

I will have to play around with different scenarios. When I try to do reads on Monday after squats, my legs shake terribly. Then my upper back can be really sore on Wednesday which messes up my Wednesday workout. I tried bent rows one program right after deadlifts and I hurt my lower back because my thighs were so spent by the time I did bent rows. I find for squats, deads or heavy rows, my legs and back need to be fresh so it is tough to do any of them the same day. One thing that may work is right now I am doing squats on Monday so I can do stiff legged deadlifts Wednesday which is back day. I say that because my hams are never that sore after Monday squats, it is always my quads that get blasted, so my hams seem ready. I will just avoid barbell bent rows during this program.

Thanks everyone for listening.

No problem, mate. Let us know how this set-up works for you. I also find altering which lift I do first has a huge impact on my gains - for whatever reason, my first one's always cold and hitting PRs with it is difficult. By the second one, though, I'm pretty on point. So, for one week, I'll do rows first, the next I'll do OHP, etc. Definitely helps me out.

As always, I've kept squats and deads with at leats 2 days off between, sometimes 3-4 days off between. If I do one heavy, the other will suffer, the only way I've been able to do both on the same day is if I'm doing speed doubles or REALLY low volume with 85% or less of my max.

My lower back gets taxed with either one, so no way I can work them too closely together.

As always, I've kept squats and deads with at leats 2 days off between, sometimes 3-4 days off between. If I do one heavy, the other will suffer, the only way I've been able to do both on the same day is if I'm doing speed doubles or REALLY low volume with 85% or less of my max.

My lower back gets taxed with either one, so no way I can work them too closely together.

Me too. I might have to combine Back day with deadlifts. If I do rows first, I might be good to do deadlifts second in my workout.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do them once a week, uaually in the middle of the week.

MON: SQUATS

TUE: BENCH

WED: DL or DL VARIATION

THU: REST

FRI: LEGS w SQUAT VARIATION

SAT: CHEST w BENCH VARIATION

SUN: ASSISTANCE & ANCILLARY WORK

I rotate that training cycle like this:

WEEK 1: Light (working at 70% max)

WEEK 2: Medium (working at 80% max)

WEEK 3: Heavy (working at 90-100% max)

WEEK 4: Deload

I'm just a little under 2wks out from a push/pull meet, starting my final heavy week now before I deload and rest up.

Deadlifted 3 x bodyweight last night so pretty happy with that, my final three sets were:

352 x 4

396 x 2

429 x 1 (3xbw) ** PB **

Interesting thing (to me anyway) is that I've probably trained DL's less this time around than I usually do.