Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt - For sure, mate. I went through a brief stint where I only listened to Pantera when I lifted but I've since tried to incorporate a little more variety. Ha.

Nicholas - Thanks, though, I don't think they're that great. Plus, the lighting in that photo's a little generous more than likely. I just never actually get a good look at them so I figured I should see how they're doing.

Robbie - That works, too. I have both since it'd be cool to get people who wouldn't usually come here to check out my progress (i.e. people who followed my old blog that wouldn't normal come here). I actually just put a pretty heavy (no-pun intended) post on there but I'm going to copy-and-paste it on here once I figure out, for sure, what my new macros are going to be tonight.

Lots of Hatebreed, Blacklisted, Pantera, Glassjaw, and a few guilty "tough guy" pleasures thrown in there for good measure (see yesterday's playlist for proof).

Quote: “

Motivation: Skyyyyy high. Tried to Vega Pre-Work Energizer Robert sent with my VBB shirt. Maybe it was psychological but I definitely was ready go to.

Playlist: Apart - Only Revolutions

Glassjaw - EYEWTKAS

Trapped Under Ice - Big Kiss Goodnight

Work out:

Crossramp (Whatever that thing is - it was the only cardio type thing open)

10 minutes/90 calories

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press

1x8x45

1x3x50

2x3x55

3x2x55

1x1x55

Super-setted with …

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

2x8x20

Barbell Bench Press

1x8x45

1x5x50

1x5x60

3x3x65

1x2x65

1x3x65

1x2x65

Super-setted with …

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

1x4x20

2x4x15

1x4x20

Bent Over Barbell Rows

1x8x55

1x5x65

1x5x75

3x4x80

1x3x90

1x4x80

1x3x80

2x8x25

Super-setted with …

Dumbbell Bent Over Rows

2x8x25

Notes:[/i]

Serious improvement here and I am beyond pleased with it.

That said, rows would have been a lot better had my back/legs not felt so beaten from my deadlifts yesterday. Definitely considering moving lifts around yet again to try and figure everything out.

Also, today’s macros were the first attempt to reflect the previous post and, to be honest, it was a challenge. I really need to work on eating a bigger meal early in the day instead of trying to squeeze a ton of calories in at night.

Macros: 51/156/172

Food n00dz:

Nothing to write home about.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwxcgqMHzW1r3mlz8.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwxcwomfK71r3mlz8.jpg

Bent Over Barbell Rows

1x8x55

1x5x65

1x5x75

3x4x80

1x3x90

1x4x80

1x3x80

2x8x25

Super-setted with …

Dumbbell Bent Over Rows

2x8x25

Notes:[/i]

Serious improvement here and I am beyond pleased with it.

That said, rows would have been a lot better had my back/legs not felt so beaten from my deadlifts yesterday. Definitely considering moving lifts around yet again to try and figure everything out.

Also, today’s macros were the first attempt to reflect the previous post and, to be honest, it was a challenge. I really need to work on eating a bigger meal early in the day instead of trying to squeeze a ton of calories in at night.

Macros: 51/156/172

fat/protein/carbs? for macros right?

Good job on the barbell rows! Supersets are a killer workout, but they may be taking away from how much you can actually lift as opposed to if each exercise is isolated and there is plenty of rest in between. Nevertheless you are still blasting your muscles!

I always go in trying to nail 5x5 with whatever new poundage but then, if I can't, I just listen to my body (I'm big on adaptive training) and the super-sets are more like burn sets anyway. I generally spend a lot more time resting between different lifts since I find that my energy stays higher with short rests in between sets. It sounds crazy but it's been working great for me.

Hypertrophy days are going to change from less sets to heavier weights on everything but my "big" lifts to make sure I'm lifting as heavy as possible. Though, I'm definitely thinking about following PHAT more closely and not going for 5+ sets on power days and see what happens. Something tells me I might stall on squats soon and I want to push those as far as I can before I have to deload on them.

Edited to add: jungle - yeah, F/P/C. I'm going to post up my new "game plan" for the next 12 months (not resolutions, though, because I don't need the new year as a reason to improve - it's just timed that way) that will include how I'm going to set my macros to accommodate me increasing calories.

12.28.11 Rest(less) Day

Days when I do not walk through the gym door make me anxious. Luckily, instead of being stuck behind a cash register at work today, I got to help out in the grocery department, re-stocking shelves and helping customers find things they were looking for – much better than standing in one place for eight hours at a time.

Eats were eats until dinner. I actually, somehow, managed to come home at 10:00 p.m. and throw together something extremely tasty.

Regarding how I will be adjusting my macros to increase to 2,000 calories: to properly evaluate how I want to handle continuously increasing my calories, I’m going to do two weeks with high CHO and then two weeks with high fat and then evaluate which of the two gives me the best results (mentally and physically).

Macros: 42/188/172

Though, there were also 59g of fiber so I could have done with some more carbs, I’m only 172 calories shy of my increase and, since I didn’t lift, I’ll take it. Tomorrow I should be able to hit 2,000 no problem.

Food voodoo, kamut cakes, and coffee.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwzyw0h8MW1r3mlz8.jpg

Eat dinner like a king: tofu steaks, tempeh bacon, Brussels sprouts, and eggplant fries.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwzywbrquk1r3mlz8.jpg

I feel bad for people who don't eat ice cream on rest days.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwzywlX0FC1r3mlz8.jpg

Meech - No way! I'm still working on it all and I've had less and less time to cook recently. Trying to get back at it.

Matt & Chris - We should find a gym that's in a central location to all of us, take over the sound system, and lift together. It'd be nice to not worry about my iPod headphones getting my way when I'm doing front squats.

Quote: “If my mind’s the weapon, then my heart’s the extra clip.” – The Movielife

Two really great things happened today: I not only got eight hours of sleep last night for the first time in ages, but it was also my first full, non-holiday, day off from both jobs in just about as long. Knowing I only had to take care of the things I wanted/needed to while been much more rested than usual meant three things: it was time to do some serious work, inside and outside the gym.

While none of today’s lifts were anything to write home about, I was exceptionally pleased with the session. Form is improving on regular and front squats, my chest/tri and bis are starting to feel stronger, and my body doesn’t feel quite as beaten from this split any more – meaning numbers should, ideally, keep going up.

I also didn’t feel pressed for time during today’s session: I knew exactly how the rest of my day was going to go and I already had done a lot of what I needed to before walking into the gym. I always try to “leave it all outside the door” but some days it is easier said than done. Today it was easy.

In addition to the gym, I also was able to read and note Leslie Heywood’s Bodymakers (an excellent sociological analysis of female bodybuilding), work on a couple of VeganAtlas articles, make myself a great dinner and dessert, and start thinking about my 2012 goals more in depth (which I'll putting up on here and on my tumblr). All-in-all, solid day and I still haven't even had dessert!

Work out:

Crossramp

10 minutes/95 calories

Dumbbell Bench Press

1x3x25 (Grabbed the wrong amount of weight; didn’t realize it until after the set. Pleased.)

Had to move to barbell because someone else was using the one set of 20s my gym has …

Barbell Bench Press

3x10x45

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press

1x4x20

1x5x20

1x4x20

1x8x15

Hammer Dumbbell Curl

1x10x20 (Rep increase; time to move up to 25lbs)

1x8x20

1x6x20

Machine Chest Press

2x10x60

(Not sure how helpful these actually are. Will probably switch to flys next week.)

Machine Triceps Extension

1x12x30

1x9x40

(People hogging the dumbbells; I know I can’t do this much weight with DBs.)

EZ-Bar Curl

2x10x40 (These felt like nothing. Weird.)

Barbell Squat

2x8x100 (Speed with form focus.)

Front Squat

1x10x70

1x8x75 (Weight increase/more reps than I expected/Ifuckinglovethese.)

Seated Calf Raise

2x12x145 (Thisisn’treallife.)

Incline Leg Press

2x10x180

Super-set

Leg Press

2x5x145

Seated Leg Curl

2x10x90 (Rep increase for sure)

Macros: 38/147/184 (thus far)

I made the biggest thing of curry ever tonight.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwzzbqKo4S1r3mlz8.jpg

To put it into perspective, it's next to a 28 oz. bottle of Sriracha.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwzzd4wiFk1r3mlz8.jpg

Meech - No way! I'm still working on it all and I've had less and less time to cook recently. Trying to get back at it.

Matt & Chris - We should find a gym that's in a central location to all of us, take over the sound system, and lift together. It'd be nice to not worry about my iPod headphones getting my way when I'm doing front squats.

My gym has been playing the worst music possible lately. It doesn't bother me because when I am doing cardio I watch ESPN and when I lift it's whatever is on the ipod but when I walk in or talk to people it's painful.

My gym has been playing the worst music possible lately. It doesn't bother me because when I am doing cardio I watch ESPN and when I lift it's whatever is on the ipod but when I walk in or talk to people it's painful.

Yo Iron Rain rules

Yo Iron Rain rules

Thanks dude!

Hopefully they finish their full length soon so I can get that out for them. What I have heard so far is so damn heavy.

I am actually wearing my Iron Rain tank top to the gym today

IR_tank_original.jpg

I have been thinking about doing some Vegan Bodybuilding shirts in the same design.

Weight: 120.5lbs

Quote: “I won’t live on my knees. I will die on my feet.” – Trapped Under Ice

Today was a little up-and-down. I only got about six hours of sleep and I worked a full shift before I even hit the gym door. Pairing my lack of sleep with the fact that the end of the year always leads me to be much more introspective, my focus was either on the “then” or “soon to be” instead of the here and now. Of course, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it most certainly affected my ability to get my normal pre-gym pump.

However, I don’t like making excuses so I’ll be the first to say that this session was a bit of a let down for several reasons.

When I got to the gym, there was a flock, yes, a flock, of gentlemen doing ½ squats in the rack and talking about, I kid you not, the proper why to grill a chicken breast. So, I didn’t the barbell or rack for either of my two main lifts. Strike one. Even more comically, when I took off my hoodie to reveal a Vegan Bodybuilding shirt, one of them pointed and smirked. Strike two.

Let me preface what I’m about to say with this: I’m not a vain person. Fair from it. I would rather let my actions speak louder than an equally smary gesture ever could. So, after the very same gentlemen struggled with 15lb dumbbell side lateral raises, and I proceeded to blast through two sets of 12 with 25lbs, I felt an odd sense of pride as well as embarrassment; I definitely didn’t intend to out-do this guy who found my shirt laughable – those were the numbers I needed to put up today to hit my goals. However, I probably looked like just as big of an asshole to him as he did to me, which is definitely not how I want to represent vegan power and strength. Strike three.

Needless to say, it definitely put a damper on the rest of what I already felt to be a sub-optimal session. Now that I’m home, though, my shoulders are definitely feeling it. Maybe the higher rep-range is what I need to stimulate some growth there. I suppose we’ll see next week. Only onward and upward.

Work Out:

Crossramp

10 minutes/100 calories

Machine Shoulder Press

(Because of the bros in the rack)

1x10x50

1x8x50

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press

1x12x20

1x10x20

1x8x20

Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press

1x3x20

2x8x15

Bent Over Dumbbell Rows

1x10x30

3x5x30

Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise

2x12x25

1x10x20

Front Dumbbell Raise

2x12x20

Standing Dumbbell Upright Row

1x12x25

1x10x25

1x10x20

Barbell Shrug

1x12x140

1x8x145

1x6x145

Reverse Flyes

1x3x50

2x5x40

1x2x50

Long Pull

1x10x70

2x5x80

1x6x70

Macros: 32/176/169

Quote: “Watch me rise with the things we carry.” – Have Heart

So, I’m not going to lie, I completely blew my macros last night after setting them up perfectly during the day (super low fat and carbohydrates; tons of protein). And I definitely felt the burn today appetite and bloat/water-weight wise. So, not only did I barely eat anything before hitting gym at 8:00 p.m. after work I also didn’t bother with the scale today. The former’s a bit of an issue but the latter is alright – no sense in causing unnecessary anxiety over something that will even out in the next few days.

I also plan on doing some damage control macros for the next few days just to get the water-weight and bloat down. I felt sluggish and heavy all day and it probably wouldn’t be a stretch to say I had about 3,000 calories yesterday (and I am serious). But, to be honest, when I had a brief moment of internal self-badgering, it made me realize I've been far too strict about how I eat and while the circumstances were pretty much the worst possible last night, it definitely shed some light on my mindset regarding nutrition.

So, new philosophy I have a new, even more posi, philosophy: eat plates to move plates.

Speaking of more positive things: I got paired with Jennifer Nicol for coaching! I’m so pumped about this it’s not even funny.

Oh. And I’m not going to preface my work out with anything other than this: I like doing a linear 5x5 instead of a static one. Why? Because it puts me into beast mode.

Work Out:

Stationary bike

10 minutes/2.4 miles

Barbell Squat

1x5x100

1x5x120

1x5x135

1x5x140

1x4x145

2x3x145

I could have easily hit 1x5x145 but my form would have been shot on that last rep. I'm a stickler for squat form - I do not want an injury and as long as the numbers keep going up, I'm not going to rush it. Plus, I wanted to make sure I had enough steam for my deads.

Barbell Deadlift

1x5x100

1x5x115

1x5x120

1x5x125

1x5x130

1x2x135

1x1x135

These last two sets were "testers" because I wanted to see if using the big plates would help me out. Definitely did. I know I can hit 1x5x135 no problem with less sets beforehand. Looking forward to that next week.

Seated Calf Raise

1x6x150

1x5x155

1x5x160

I will never understand how/why my calf raises are so insane.

Incline Leg Press

1x5x160

1x5x180

1x5x200

1x5x210

1x5x230

1x5x250

1x5x270

I have no idea where this came from but it felt fucking awesome. My legs were shaking so hard on the last two reps. Best feeling.

Leg Curls

1x5x100

1x10x100

Macros: Still getting eaten. Something like 12/140/100 so far. (Damage control macros: 40/180/180).

I'll also put up a post dedicated solely to food n00dz in a bit. Got a lot of catching up to do on the forum with all these new logs!

Quote: “Watch me rise with the things we carry.” – Have Heart

So, I’m not going to lie, I completely blew my macros last night after setting them up perfectly during the day (super low fat and carbohydrates; tons of protein). And I definitely felt the burn today appetite and bloat/water-weight wise. So, not only did I barely eat anything before hitting gym at 8:00 p.m. after work I also didn’t bother with the scale today. The former’s a bit of an issue but the latter is alright – no sense in causing unnecessary anxiety over something that will even out in the next few days.

I also plan on doing some damage control macros for the next few days just to get the water-weight and bloat down. I felt sluggish and heavy all day and it probably wouldn’t be a stretch to say I had about 3,000 calories yesterday (and I am serious). But, to be honest, when I had a brief moment of internal self-badgering, it made me realize I've been far too strict about how I eat and while the circumstances were pretty much the worst possible last night, it definitely shed some light on my mindset regarding nutrition.

So, new philosophy I have a new, even more posi, philosophy: eat plates to move plates.

Speaking of more positive things: I got paired with Jennifer Nicol for coaching! I’m so pumped about this it’s not even funny.

Oh. And I’m not going to preface my work out with anything other than this: I like doing a linear 5x5 instead of a static one. Why? Because it puts me into beast mode.

Work Out:

Stationary bike

10 minutes/2.4 miles

Barbell Squat

1x5x100

1x5x120

1x5x135

1x5x140

1x4x145

2x3x145

I could have easily hit 1x5x145 but my form would have been shot on that last rep. I'm a stickler for squat form - I do not want an injury and as long as the numbers keep going up, I'm not going to rush it. Plus, I wanted to make sure I had enough steam for my deads.

Barbell Deadlift

1x5x100

1x5x115

1x5x120

1x5x125

1x5x130

1x2x135

1x1x135

These last two sets were "testers" because I wanted to see if using the big plates would help me out. Definitely did. I know I can hit 1x5x135 no problem with less sets beforehand. Looking forward to that next week.

Seated Calf Raise

1x6x150

1x5x155

1x5x160

I will never understand how/why my calf raises are so insane.

Incline Leg Press

1x5x160

1x5x180

1x5x200

1x5x210

1x5x230

1x5x250

1x5x270

I have no idea where this came from but it felt fucking awesome. My legs were shaking so hard on the last two reps. Best feeling.

Leg Curls

1x5x100

1x10x100

Macros: Still getting eaten. Something like 12/140/100 so far. (Damage control macros: 40/180/180).

I'll also put up a post dedicated solely to food n00dz in a bit. Got a lot of catching up to do on the forum with all these new logs!

Sweet, congrats on the Incline Leg press and the deads!