Need help with breakdown and meals?

Onlybrad

Im from East Texas and all of the people around hear I know are doing to Paleo diet and cross fit work outs. I enjoy cross fit but I know I don't feel good on cooked meat but having a hard time figuring how to get my cals from plant based foods. Either my hearing or misunderstanding from the 30 days of bananas forum that you should do 80/10/10 diet but some of those people dont look healthy in the pics. So I don't understand this forums view or approach to the breakdown of where you should get your cals from and how much.

I bought the book and a few others but it can't come fast enough.

Please help...

Brad

Hey Brad! Getting calories from a plant based diet is actually pretty easy. You just have to make sure you eat a really well rounded plant based diet. Try incorporating higher calorie nuts and legumes into your diet. Beans aren't too shabby in that department either.Chick peas and lentils are both higher in calories and in protein. I mix nuts in with my fresh greens to add fat, calories and protein! One you begin to learn about the items you are shopping for you will begin to learn how to mix them together to maximize their benefits!

It is very easy to get all your calories if you eat a well rounded plant based diet and especially add legumes to your diet. Right now I get most of my protein from split peas (about 100 grams until my system gets used to them) and plan to increase if my muscle gains aren't up to par. In fact I may even be able to decrease my intake but only time will tell where I go from here.

I also get some from nuts, and obviously a variety of veggies and fruits (right now I'm at 7 varieties per day) will give you very high quality protein. Maybe not as much as legumes, seeds, or nuts, but good quality nonetheless!

Also, the "Paleo" diet is not natural. We do not have the enzymes to battle any "bad" bacteria lurking in most animal meats, hence it has to be cooked. Even milk is pasteurized and those who drink it raw most likely have parasites in their intestines (not very healthy).

Hey Brad! Getting calories from a plant based diet is actually pretty easy. You just have to make sure you eat a really well rounded plant based diet. Try incorporating higher calorie nuts and legumes into your diet. Beans aren't too shabby in that department either.Chick peas and lentils are both higher in calories and in protein. I mix nuts in with my fresh greens to add fat, calories and protein! One you begin to learn about the items you are shopping for you will begin to learn how to mix them together to maximize their benefits!

Thanks for reply. Few questions...

1. What is considered legumes? Beans I guess or anything else?

2. I guess your are not talking chick peas in a can but fresh then cooking them?

3. Do you try and keep you cals to a certain amount for the day?

Im working on shredding some pounds so more muscle will come thru. So it there a certain cal count amount I should stick to for a day or protein/carbs/fat ratio suggested on this site?

Anybody is welcome to answer these if you have addition input or advise...

Thanks a bunch,

Brad

It is very easy to get all your calories if you eat a well rounded plant based diet and especially add legumes to your diet. Right now I get most of my protein from split peas (about 100 grams until my system gets used to them) and plan to increase if my muscle gains aren't up to par. In fact I may even be able to decrease my intake but only time will tell where I go from here.

I also get some from nuts, and obviously a variety of veggies and fruits (right now I'm at 7 varieties per day) will give you very high quality protein. Maybe not as much as legumes, seeds, or nuts, but good quality nonetheless!

Also, the "Paleo" diet is not natural. We do not have the enzymes to battle any "bad" bacteria lurking in most animal meats, hence it has to be cooked. Even milk is pasteurized and those who drink it raw most likely have parasites in their intestines (not very healthy).

Thanks for your reply.

1. How u preparing those split peas?

2. 7 varieties a day?

3. I totally agree with you on the meat and I feel like crap after I eat it. Also on the milk. What about goats milk? I got a lady those has goats on her land and sells it right off the tits. lol Fresh stuff at about $6 a gal...

Thanks for help bro,

Brad

I buy bags of dried split peas. I look them over to pick out anything bad, which is usually only 2 or 3 bad looking peas, wash and rinse them thoroughly several times, cover them in a pot with about 3 inches of water, and bring them to a boil. Then I turn the heat down and let them boil very lightly for about 40 mins and they're done.

After doing that you can let them sit for a couple hours off the heat and if not too mushy they settle in the water. I pour out the water on top (takes out some of the gas until your system gets used to them) and store them in containers in the frig.

By varieties of fruits and veggies I meant I eat 7 different kinds. Right now I'm enjoying clementines, apples (with natural peanut butter. YUM!), cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, brussell sprouts, and okra. I also have some tomatoes in the frig so I guess that would be 8 until I get rid of them! I munch on walnuts too, and I probably forgot something here and there. lol

As far as goat's milk I myself wouldn't chance it unless it were pasteurized. Goats commonly have an intestinal parasite called coccidia, and some have lice, maggots, and other various worms. Some say this is harmless (especially Paleo eaters) but I say it is not without its risks because people do have to be treated sometimes for parasite infestations because of things like this.

Even goats that aren't allowed proper eating habits (naturally grazing on all levels, not just grass close to the dirt) have parasite infestations themselves.

I mean if you want to do it you can check out what she is letting them eat, etc, and go from there. But IMO you can do much better with something like soy or almond milk, especially fortified.

Oh yea and Happy New Year!

Legumes can cover man "pods" things like lentils, soy, peanuts, peas and when I say beans I am thinking black beans, kidney beans, items like this. I don't buy anything canned because they use extra sodium to preserve them. I like to buy the dried version of beans and lentils. They are relatively inexpensive and there are multiple servings per bag and they don't go bad! All you have to do it soak them and them cook them. Each one has various cooking times and most packing can guide you in that process.

As for your caloric intake.... that has to be based on your height and goal. Now for your protein you will want to intake 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per body weight (some will argue per lean muscle).

I buy bags of dried split peas. I look them over to pick out anything bad, which is usually only 2 or 3 bad looking peas, wash and rinse them thoroughly several times, cover them in a pot with about 3 inches of water, and bring them to a boil. Then I turn the heat down and let them boil very lightly for about 40 mins and they're done.

After doing that you can let them sit for a couple hours off the heat and if not too mushy they settle in the water. I pour out the water on top (takes out some of the gas until your system gets used to them) and store them in containers in the frig.

By varieties of fruits and veggies I meant I eat 7 different kinds. Right now I'm enjoying clementines, apples (with natural peanut butter. YUM!), cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, brussell sprouts, and okra. I also have some tomatoes in the frig so I guess that would be 8 until I get rid of them! I munch on walnuts too, and I probably forgot something here and there. lol

As far as goat's milk I myself wouldn't chance it unless it were pasteurized. Goats commonly have an intestinal parasite called coccidia, and some have lice, maggots, and other various worms. Some say this is harmless (especially Paleo eaters) but I say it is not without its risks because people do have to be treated sometimes for parasite infestations because of things like this.

Even goats that aren't allowed proper eating habits (naturally grazing on all levels, not just grass close to the dirt) have parasite infestations themselves.

I mean if you want to do it you can check out what she is letting them eat, etc, and go from there. But IMO you can do much better with something like soy or almond milk, especially fortified.

Oh yea and Happy New Year!

Thanks for the tips with the beans...

Yeah she has land and real big on natural stuff her self but I enjoy the almond milk Ive been doing up so Ill stick with that. Plus it much more affordable and less of a travel. She lives out in the country! Save that time for my roadbike Im about to buy to have something else to enjoy the country roads!

Be Blessed,

Brad

Legumes can cover man "pods" things like lentils, soy, peanuts, peas and when I say beans I am thinking black beans, kidney beans, items like this. I don't buy anything canned because they use extra sodium to preserve them. I like to buy the dried version of beans and lentils. They are relatively inexpensive and there are multiple servings per bag and they don't go bad! All you have to do it soak them and them cook them. Each one has various cooking times and most packing can guide you in that process.

As for your caloric intake.... that has to be based on your height and goal. Now for your protein you will want to intake 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per body weight (some will argue per lean muscle).

Thanks. Got away from the canned stuff myself...