Ashley's Workout Log - Vegan Challenge

I am ready for the new year to begin, to reveal the real me under this haze of laziness and tired eyes. I am ready for a challenge, more difficult than one I've ever tackled before. I am ready to begin living.

I am an office manager by day and a freelance writer by night, leaving little chance for exercise or meal planning. However I am DETERMINED to make a difference in my life this year. Each year I adopt newer, better habits which have shaved a cool 15 pounds off my small frame, but I need to make more drastic changes in order to really begin feeling good about myself.

The year 2012 will be a year of rebirth for me: the year in which I turn 24, the year in which I will finally feel good about myself, the year I stop worrying about health issues, the year I stop stressing the little things in life. I am READY for this challenge.

I will be posting here as well as on our blog VEGONTHERUN com about my triumphs, setbacks and eventual realization of goals.

Here is where I am at the moment:

I am 23 years old, female, 5'1" frame with 145 pounds, but wanting to keep my hourglass curves. I want to be thinner, more toned. I am not totally unhappy with my body now, I can still sqeeeeeeeze into a size 4 pant, but I'm really a 6 (and sometimes, unhappily enough, an 8 in some brands). I'd like to comfortably wear whatever I'd like, preferably in a size 4. I'm ashamed of my upper arms and refuse to wear a bathing suit or shorts.

I am planning to lose weight, gain lean muscle and tone like crazy on a vegan diet and vigorous exercise plan, including cardio and weight routines. I begin officially January 2nd, but will start today thinking in healthier, more active terms.

Hoping for the strength of an elephant to get through this alive.

The new year has begun - as has my official transformation. Yesterday I began eating entirely vegan, cutting out all dairy and animal products. I am following a training schedule that includes Active 2 on Wii, treadmill, spinning, outdoor running and weight training.

I have never done much weight lifting, so this is quite a new experience. Yesterday wasn't too hard, so I'm hoping that I can continue this for the rest of my life. I did 30 minutes cardio, followed by 40 minutes of upper body weight training. I am looking forward to spinning tonight, as well as getting in a lower body training session. Tomorrow will be a full body session.

Eating habits are easier for me, as I've frequently done "diets" that were extremely restrictive. I'm focusing more on whole foods and vegetables, but allowing myself plenty to eat. I'm also eating every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism up.

So far I'm pretty optimistic that this is going to work out.

I'm sore - I mean bone crushingly, frozen-jointed sore. After my workout on Monday night and spinning last night, I can barely straighten my arms and hitting the clutch on my car is agony. I think this is all par for the course when beginning an intense exercise regimen, but that doesn't make it any more pleasant.

I am happy to report that my diet is going well - save for the craving for bread and potato chips, I haven't had any major downfalls (although I did eat a ton of granola yesterday trying to get over a chip craving).

Other than the tremendous muscle cramping, I'm happy and motivated. I'm ready for some more exercising tonight...hoping that the "hair of the dog" will take some of this pain away.

Thanks so much, All Zen =)

I have done a lot of yoga in the past, so I think I will need to start doing more now. I've also heard about epsom salts for muscle cramps, now that you say it. I will need to pick some up tonight, as my arms are so tight it makes it hard to do anything, include drive (which is dangerous in Miami traffic not being fully on your toes!).

I was talking with my friend earlier about trying to dehydrate some veggies in place of potato chips and I have been eating celery and hummus. I just have a snacking compulsion that is hard to break, but it's something I will need to work through.

Oh those sore muscles! I could barely do a cardio boot camp on the Wii last night without passing out - but I do feel much better today. I'm healing, getting stronger. I was laughing with my fiance last night that my legs are harder than his, and he has muscular legs. I'm happy that I can see little (okay - minute) changes in my body already.

I can't say that I'm over the food cravings yet, as the food monster reared his ugly head again this morning and last night, but I have overcome those cravings by eating healthy foods. While I've gone over my target caloric intake, I am proud that I've stuck to the right foods. I can work on the quantity, that's the easy part. Today I even overdid it a little on restricting my calories, eating only a spinach salad with raw mushrooms, green and red peppers. I've found some very convenient snacks, Peter Rabbit Organics, that are made with 100% fruits and veggies, no preservatives. I'll be trying those out today instead of my normal Luna bars. I bought the Pea, Spinach and Apple, as well as the Carrot, Squash and Apple. With less than 100 calories, they are a great snack that seem to be rich in nutrients. We'll see how they taste

Ashley!

You are an inspiration to many! I am so impressed by you, and feel compelled to train harder myself because of your determination! WOW!!! Girl, You got this! ROCK IT OUT!!!!

I'm taking the liberty of talking for everyone, but know that you can always pm any of us and we are here to help!

In addition to All Zen's dehydrated veggies chips, you can make kale chips at home! These are my favorite "snack" because not only are they delicious and satisfying, they are SO good for me!!! It takes about 10 minutes from start to finish to have a super healthy snack without the guilt

You are incredible! Drink water, recover and be well! You are totally on the right track!

MJ

Hi Mindy!

Thanks so much - that is tremendously uplifting to hear. Although, now that I've read through your journal, I would absolutely say you are a great inspiration. I would love to be able to do all that dancing without making a fool of myself! You must be such a graceful person

Good luck in everything you do,

Ashley

I'm feeling down today, although much more rested after having my day off from exercising. Not sure what it is, hoping the feeling will pass by the time I get home and ready to exercise. Last night I did have fun concocting a new vegan recipe, something I've been wanting to try for forever. I cut julienne'd pieces of zucchini, making them into noodles. I then tossed my zucchini noodles in a tomato "cream" sauce, made with homemade cashew cream. It sounds complicated, and it was somewhat, but nevertheless delicious.

I'm in need of some motivation for the weekend...

I'm feeling much better today compared to how I was on Friday. I did extremely well over the weekend, my fiance surprisingly was a huge supporter for exercising and watching what I ate. He is being an incredible sport eating vegan and has taken this challenge seriously for me.

I was so surprised yesterday when I stepped on the scale and saw I've already lost just under 2 lbs in a matter of a few days. That is the biggest encouragement yet - and I've found my new guilty pleasure is cutting up apples. Get a craving for something unhealthy, grab an apple. I may go over my allotted sugar intake, however I doubt one can seriously get fat on apples.

I've also found that I'm starting to enjoy my workouts and am finally seeing some definition coming through in my arms. I have a very long way to go, but it's always nice when your body gives you little signs that what you're doing is working.

Hoping that next week is just as productive as this one has been.

Yesterday I had a meltdown...I'm not proud of myself and my stomach is also not very proud.

I had FIVE pieces of wheat bread and four pieces of gouda cheese. I had shared my lunch with a co-worker who didn't have and ended up starving by three o'clock. By the time I got home, I couldn't help it but eat a piece of wheat bread with some earth balance. I thought I could keep myself from eating more, but I couldn't. It was like a drug addiction - all I could think about after eating that first piece was having another. And then the hunger hit me so hard, along with my fiance's newly bought gouda cheese staring at me from the shelf, that I ate two cheese sandwiches.

I feel like such a coward and a failure. I didn't even work out yesterday after it - and my stomach is not thanking me today. Thankfully I jumped back into healthy habits today and I'm not planning on doing it again. Maybe this stomach ache is a good thing...it's teaching me the hard way that dairy is not the way to go.

I hope I haven't been too much of a pessimist - but I think it's better to show all my ups and downs, as only talking about the good 1) isn't realistic and 2) isn't going to help anyone.

I have been feeling - and EATING - so much better yesterday and today. I've been eating a little too few calories and getting some headaches, but otherwise I'm doing okay. I'm going to cook some quinoa tonight with lentils and mushrooms. I think that will be a nice filling meal without being too heavy. I've overdone the diet since my little disaster, being a little too strict on myself. I'll loosen up again, I just need to get myself back on track.

I did a lot of weight training yesterday, about an hour and a half. I worked my arms mostly, but threw in a few weighted crunches. I'm actually really proud of how my arms are progressing, even my fiance is started to notice that my muscles are showing more in my upper arms. It's really encouraging.

My biggest weakness is absolutely food - I am a slave to it. I once heard my fiance's grandfather, right before he passed away, say this quote, "Eat to live, don't live to eat." That is a hugely depressing statement to me - I grew up in the restaurant industry, I'm an elite on Yelp, I just love food. But it's also entirely true. I just need to find the balance between loving the culinary arts and loving my body. There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

Hey Ashley! I'm enjoying reading your journal! I see you haven't posted in almost a week, though. What happened? You were doing so great! I hope your little "meltdown" didn't discourage you too much! I have things like that happen more often than I care to admit, and I admire that you had the courage to post it! It's encouraging to see you get back on your feet and on track the next day!

Please keep posting and sharing your journey! We're halfway through the VBB New You for the New Year Challenge! Keep going strong!!!!!

All the best,

Karen