Does anyone know about insulin resistance?

I have been reading that extra abdominal fat is a sign of insulin resistance. I have dropped about 50lbs and I can see the muscle on my legs, arms, back and chest but I have a very thick layer of fat still around the front of my abdominals. Is there a chance that I could be insulin resistant and if so, is there a way to change it?

I worry about it not only because of the way it looks but I also read that people who are insulin resistance and carry that layer of fat also have a high chance of heart disease! I already have inherited high cholesterol so I'm trying to keep everything else in check.

Anyone have any advice or knowledge?

it is probably just the last place that you will notice the changes. mine is the same way. i have lost 105 pounds and still have that layer, and like you said can see my muscles fairly well everywhere else. many times it is just the last place that you will lose it completely from.

I haven't seen any academic literature about abdominal fat being a sign of insulin-resistance. But if you are worried about insulin resistance, there are some steps you can take to help reduce insulin resistance and promote insulin sensitivity. Eat less carbs, avoid sugar and flour, avoid processed foods, avoid foods that are high on the glycemic index, eat less frequently, reduce stress, lift heavier, exercise more, eat more fiber, and get adequate sleep. Stay well!

it is probably just the last place that you will notice the changes. mine is the same way. i have lost 105 pounds and still have that layer, and like you said can see my muscles fairly well everywhere else. many times it is just the last place that you will lose it completely from.

You are probably right... patience isn't my strongest

You are probably right... patience isn't my strongest

Yeah, for some people, it will take a decent amount of time to loose that bit of fat. Think of it this way: How long did it take you to gain the weight around the stomach region (I'm guessing more than a year or so), doesn't it seem logical to give at least the same amount of time to reverse it? You can speed it up though (this isn't healthy, but has worked for many fitness models), switching to a low carb diet. E.g. 80-100g carbs a day, 200-250g protein and around 100g of healthy fats. You also lower your sodium intake to no more than 2300mg a day.

This is bad for the human body in the long term as we were designed to run on glycogen, however near those last moments where you have that bit of water weight and fat, you can do this.