80/10/10 diet

Paige

I firmly believe that a Vegan diet can start to age you backwards WHEN DONE PROPERLY (healthy fats, healthy amount of protein, fruits, veggies, legumes and small quantities of grains)

It is true, since I've been eating vegan I lost all of my body hair, my voice is high and I am now only 3ft tall

Nice to see you around Melissa

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings, I read most of the comments about the 811 diet.

~I found out about it through Youtube, then I checked out the 30BAD site again promoting the diet. I jumped in wit the fruits to find a balance with my nutrition and one that would compliment my exercise and my digestive system....something simple and fits into the budget.

**It's been 60 days now....there have been changes...better improvement in digestion, skin, cycle, etc....I put down the nuts (cashews, almonds)...and went the no overt fat way...Don't want the fat, don't eat the fat!!! I wasn't thinking about bulking, or increasing muscle or competition. My exercise mainly cardio had to do with running the miles & good stretching.

**Someone wanting to bulk....would prob need to eat some more fats....as of now, this is what I have been doing!!

**Do I follow 811 to the T, of-course not...didn't even get the book, have saw the vids!! I just mainly eat fruits & veg when I'm in the mood!! If not its Green Smoothies....have I noticed a RISE in my energy!! Hmmm actually NO!!!! The foods just taste good, esp. banana ice cream!!!

**If I can answer any specific question do to anyone trying the diet, hmmm let me know!!!

_All the best!!

http://i39.tinypic.com/znkh9d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am new to the vegan bodybuilding site but thought I should throw in my $.02. I have been vegetarian for 11 years, vegan for 9 years, raw for 3.5, and 811 for the better part of a year. I can easily gain muscle mass on a 811 diet. I just need to consume 3000-5000 calories of fruit a day depending on my weight goals and workout regime. Organic fruit can be cheap (if you go to farmers markets and or buy in bulk). The best part is that you feel incredible every day and very high endurance levels.

http://api.ning.com/files/*1VS7fY7mLWY5rAM6b8g23HCcROU2YIk9eA876bsl*khlylEcIwQBWdrondpym3g0P8loJpaD063dzpXN*4N4R3R*SafxeVq/5.JPG?width=425&height=600

http://api.ning.com/files/8uu9jA6kPq0dxyW-qTeCCabFVoPT93wO05v58MkumfxDdUe1HTo-0kyNiADnmhQoQENkcqGHSKFysu9oHjhzTrsJMg0uypHs/1.JPG?width=530&height=600

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone considering following this, I want you to consider this... Do you want to look young, healthy and vibrant??? Following a diet with this low in fat content is very bad for your skin and over time your skin will age faster. A good dose of healthy fats throughout the day are ESSENTIAL for the health of your skin. Even more important as we age! Your body needs FATS! Healthy fats are also great for fat loss!

I just had my 43rd birthday. My skin looks awesome and I'm humbly proud of this, but it wouldn't if I was eating 10% fat for the past few years. I would start to look my age on that type of plan. I firmly believe that a Vegan diet can start to age you backwards WHEN DONE PROPERLY (healthy fats, healthy amount of protein, fruits, veggies, legumes and small quantities of grains)

Echoed. I love avocados, coconut oil, nuts and nut butters. One of my fav smoothies is 1 scoop chcoolate Vega whole meal optimizer, 3/4 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup chocolate coconut milk, and 1 TB melted coconut oil.

The 80/10/10 has to be approached the right way for it to work.

In saying thet though, it is a fantastic diet, especially for people who haven't eaten meat from birth, but from a standpoint point of view it can take others time to transition to the 80/10/10 diet, because people who have eaten meat and dairy earlier on in their life have to basically re-program, and cleanse their body while slowly making their way into the 80/10/10 diet. You don't want to shock your system too mmuch at once. So mabye go:

vegan to raw vegan (keeping the same macro ratio) and then slowly go to '80/10/10 style raw vegan'.

But with all things there will be exceptions with some people.

I wish this diet worked for me. In theory it sounds awesome. However, I like to train, hard. I tried the 80/10/10 earlier this year and could barely get out of bed, much less pick up a weight. Everyone must find what works for them, especially vegans and even more so vegan athletes. I am impressed by those who can handle the 80/10/10 because I could not.

I wish this diet worked for me. In theory it sounds awesome. However, I like to train, hard. I tried the 80/10/10 earlier this year and could barely get out of bed, much less pick up a weight. Everyone must find what works for them, especially vegans and even more so vegan athletes. I am impressed by those who can handle the 80/10/10 because I could not.

Strange. the 80/10/10 diet is about performance. I can train 2 times a day on it and it's the only way to recover from a 2 hours judo training in a couple of hours (to train a second time). May be the fruit you ate was not sweet enough? Or you underate? It's easy to undereat on this diet because it takes a great amount of fruit to match the energy equivalence of dry food.

Strange. the 80/10/10 diet is about performance. I can train 2 times a day on it and it's the only way to recover from a 2 hours judo training in a couple of hours (to train a second time). May be the fruit you ate was not sweet enough? Or you underate? It's easy to undereat on this diet because it takes a great amount of fruit to match the energy equivalence of dry food.

I've heard about people eating like 20 bananas and whatnot in a meal, insane.

Lol...they had 20 bananas, they ate them It often happens that I eat 5 bananas but 20...heroic Now the bananas are kind of unripe and a bit green. The oranges though, are cheap and tasty. I eat 3-5 in one meal.

That's me! I especially do that with clementines, almost out of them in fact.

4. Doug's video:
. Hardly anyone Doug's age can do those exercises. NO other rawfood "gurus" could even remotely come close to doing that on their high fat/fruit-phobic diets.

sometimes, people become more enamored with the cult of personality behind someone who wants to prove a "superior" diet than to consider the history that got them to where they are. If someone showed me a pic of Dr. Graham from 3 years ago and I saw that he was a 300 lb. couch potato, I'd say that the diet itself may have lent a great deal to his accomplishments. However, if he was doing these same exercises 20 years ago, maintaining is very different from progressing, something to consider.

If people choose to follow the 80/10/10, that's all fine and good. However, there's still no evidence to prove it superior to anything else aside from some people saying they "feel more alive" or something of that sort, but just as well, I've seen no shortage of people who say it makes them feel like crap. Anything "perfect" does not have the option to be so drastically split for opinion, so I simply view it as anything else, a diet radical in concept that sounds somewhat healthy, but simultaneously sounds like it would make me miserable to do myself (not to mention, I know my body well enough to be aware that I'd fall apart by doing it, low fat low protein is the opposite of what I thrive on).

Best of luck to those who do it, I just prefer a little more science and a little less "religious faith" in my diet programs

I mean... I couldn't agree with you anymore

Yeah, I agree. The 80/10/10 diet (actually a lifestyle and not a diet) requires you to consume a MINIMUM of 5 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight. If you don't get this you can become glycogen deficient rather easy!

I really like the idea of a diet where I have to take in more calories. Unless I'm beyond active for at least 4-6 months my metabolism isn't the best. I'm finding that with a seriously clean diet, nothing but veggies and fruit with some healthy sources of veggie protein I can get around that a bit...

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, I wish I could have been apart of this thread, I've also had some experience with 80 10 10. Although I "mostly" follow 80 10 10 I still agree with Vegan Essentials. It's not necessarily for everyone, the same for any raw food diet. It's the most natural diet we could follow for our "species". But naturally a lot of us would die and only the strong would survive. Naturally there would be higher levels of cobolamin/B12 in our environment because we wouldn't kill it with emissions and we would all be sleeping on dirt (cobalamin filled beds) and getting it from bugs that were in plants that we just picked out of gardens and ate. Naturally we wouldn't be bodybuilders or power lifters (we might have muscular builds, but not the same thing competitors step on the stage with).

My success with 80 10 10 I think is in part to three things. 1. I eat tons of green vegetables, and 2. I also eat some cooked foods. I eat a few cups of cooked beans and three of four cups of cooked rice a day. I also eat around 3500 to 4000 calories everyday. And 3. I supplement B12.

In regards to the 80 10 10 diet not providing enough fat (veggie princess) and protein you also have to remember that 10% of a 2000 calorie diet is 1/2 as much as 10% of a 4000 calorie a day diet. So on 4000 calories a day I usually get around 125 (g) per day of protein, and around 75-80 (g) of Fat. In both cases that should be plenty of both of those nutrients when your carb level is high. If your carb level is low then your body is naturally going to convert protein and your protein levels will by default have to be higher.

I hope that makes some of us 80 10 10 advocates seem a little less wacko, but I agree that there are a lot of people preaching some wacky stuff all around the world. That's true of literally EVERTHING. And I'm not "100%" raw. It's not my religion, I just think natural food sources are a really good idea.

BTW, Veggie Princess, your avatar is off the hook girl. I hope your photo shoot went well.

• 1 year later...

So to revive an old thread.

Any changes views on the 80/10/10 diet?

Agreeing with many others, I've yet to see anybody on this diet who has reasonable muscle mass, and many vegans IMO look very aged, sagging skin, I'm very well willing to bet this is from inadequate protein intake..

The body cannot make proteins: collagen, muscle fibers, or many essential constituents without adequate amino-acid intake, which comes from protein food sources.

9 aminoacids are deemed "essential" because the human body cannot synthesize them from other compounds at the level needed for normal growth, so they must be obtained from food.

The body also has a very sensitive glucose/insulin system. Consuming fruit in the quantities required for this diet or as shown to have been consumed by people on this diet, are in quantities that will cause a massive insulin response.... and such insulin responses can and will down-regulate insulin receptors, causing "insulin resistance". This is a fact, and is commonly referred to as "type 2 diabetes". So I am not at all seeing how consuming this much sugars can be healthy for the body.

FYI 1 medium banana has approximately: 27g carbs; 14g simple sugars.

Fat is also necessary for the body, which can be obtained from nuts (which by the way are a RAW FOOD SOURCE). But with only a 10% intake, fat intake is quite low. FAT is very necessary and required for the healthy production of lipid-sex-hormones, cell membranes, fat metabolism (yes!), and for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.

I tried the 801010 rv for about maybe 2-3 months and I felt great at first, then felt fatigued and super bloated and gained weight, I was eating about 1800 calories a day. I started adding more fat in my diet (hemp chia walnuts) and started feeling better, I'm doing 60-20-20 now and feel wayyyy better. I'm still eating mostly raw. I'm currently enrolled in Cornell's plant based nutrition program with Colin Campbell and what he was saying, our macros should be 80 10 10 as well! But cooked, mostly beans and greens whole grains etc he never mentions eating all fruit and one green meal. All fruits, veggies, legumes and grains are carbs so the 80% would come from all those combined. We are all different, if 801010 rv works for someone, then stick to it. If not, then try something else. One diet doesn't work for everyone, our bodies handle foods differently. That's what's so awesome about food intake, it's not set in stone, and we can always try new things til we feel our best!

I still think in theory this diet sounds great but it was probably one of the worst diet experiences I have ever had. Personally, ever since I became vegan I have struggled with energy levels. (4 years now) When I did this diet I could not even get out of bed and could not do anything in the gym. I wish I was one of those vegans that could say when I turned vegan I felt so much better than I had before but it is just not true. I envy everyone that says that once they turned vegan they felt great and had lots of energy. Still waiting for that to happen. I felt better, physically, before I turned vegan.

I eat no sugar, no processed foods except for one serving of tofu and 2-4 scoops of raw vegan protein a day, and everything else is whole foods, as raw as possible. I do not eat any "vegan junk food". On the 80/10/10 I just ate raw fruit and raw veggies. Nearly passed out. I have been working, this week, to push myself to eat 2000cals a day. It makes a significant difference in the gym but the extra cals are freaking me out. BTW, I lift 4-5x per week. 4x/wk cardio.

yeah the 801010 made me feel weird since i was eating super low fat, i increased to about 1800 [i'm only 4'11 so thats a lot for me] and i definitely put on weight. i still eat mostly raw but the added cooked foods helped me. the extra calories would freak me out too but you work out a lot so i think thats a reasonable amount of calories!

I eat no sugar, no processed foods except for one serving of tofu and 2-4 scoops of raw vegan protein a day, and everything else is whole foods, as raw as possible. I do not eat any "vegan junk food". On the 80/10/10 I just ate raw fruit and raw veggies. Nearly passed out. I have been working, this week, to push myself to eat 2000cals a day. It makes a significant difference in the gym but the extra cals are freaking me out. BTW, I lift 4-5x per week. 4x/wk cardio.

2000 calories per day? With 4-5 days of training per week (not even including the cardio)?

That's probably your energy problem right there. I have a raw vegan friend at Cornell who specializes in endurance training. She eats easily 2.6k-3k per day, and she rarely lifts. She's thin as a pencil, too.

Might want to start jumping up the calories in anyway you can.