Wed 29th December 2011

Deadlift (belt)

1x2x195kg

3x3x160kg (for speed)

Power shrugs

3x5x120kg

RDLs

3x5x100kg

Rows (standing, close underhand grip - it's normally pendlay rows i do)

1x5x50kg

1x5x55kg

1x5x60kg

Close grip underhand lat pulldowns

3x5x60kg

Good Mornings

3x5x70kg

Club's closed over holidays so had to workout in the garage for the most part. Can't dump the bar in there like I can in the club so all the deadlifts had to be controlled gently to the floor lol. Had no problems with the heavy weights, 195kg felt easy.

Fri 30th December 2011

Front squat (no belt)

5x5x82.5kg

Bench

5x5x69kg (made up the weight with collars)

OHP

5x5x42.5kg

Wednesday - Saturday I'd been getting stomach aches after most times I was eating. Last night (saturday) it started to feel better. But anyway, this workout was a pain in the arse. It didn't really affect anything during the sets but I was drained before, during and after workout so didn't bother with assistance exercises. Done some cable and BB curls Saturday night.

Weighed in at 83.3kg this morning for my new year weight (183lbs). 13st 1lb

2012 goals;

190kg squat

100kg bench (touch & go)

250kg deadlift

70kg ohp (strict)

BW Push Press

Mon 2nd January 2012

Bodyweight = 83.4kg

Squats (with belt)

2x4x142.5kg

Bench

5x5x70kg

Push press

5x5x55kg

Weighted pushups

3x5 +10kg

15 BW

Ab roller (on knees)

10 BW then

2x10 +10kg

There you go jungle

Squats felt really heavy. Bench was actually alright, will try 71 or 72kg on friday. No problems with anything else really, just hard.

Holy crap. Your quads are ridiculous. I am so jealous. You are a beast all around.
Thanks! I've always squatted consistently since I started working out. I've always made the best gains squatting 3x/week. I think the more the better when it comes to squats. Before xmas I was getting into doing 4x/week (2 days for speed work) and enjoyed it immensely. Will be starting this up immediately again, front squats tomorrow!

Gary, I know I don't say it as often as I should, but I appreciate you being here so much!

I know my friends Myke and Ashley had a great time meeting you in person and I hope to do the same some day.

Thanks for sticking with us for so long!

Not sure if you noticed, but you were our featured vegan athlete of the day during our 12 Days of Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness, joining guys like Mac Danzig, Jimi Sitko, Derek and Ed, among others.

All the best!

Keep kicking ass!

Robert

Gary, I know I don't say it as often as I should, but I appreciate you being here so much!

I know my friends Myke and Ashley had a great time meeting you in person and I hope to do the same some day.

Thanks for sticking with us for so long!

Not sure if you noticed, but you were our featured vegan athlete of the day during our 12 Days of Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness, joining guys like Mac Danzig, Jimi Sitko, Derek and Ed, among others.

All the best!

Keep kicking ass!

Robert

Cheers Robert! Since I started at the weightlifting club I've kept a log on paper, but from when I started working out this is the only place I have my full log (i back it up once every so often). I don't plan to stop being vegan or woking out - ever. So my log's prob gonna still be here in years to come haha. If I make it over to the states at some point I hope we can meet up, definitely!

Tue 3rd January 2012

Front squats (for speed, no belt, 60s between sets)

8x3x65kg

Followed my some hamstring stretching.

Wed 4th January 2012

Bodyweight = 84.3kg

Deadlift (with belt)

1x2x190kg

1x2x207.5kg

3x3x172.5kg (for speed...although wasn't very fast haha)

Power shrugs

1x5x120kg

2x5x130kg

Stiff legged deads

1x5x100kg

2x5x110kg

Barbell rows

2x5x67.5kg

Close grip underhand lat pulldowns

2x5x72.5kg

Good Mornings

2x5x75kg

Edited by chewybaws

Cheers gals!

Fri 6th January 2012

Bodyweight = 84.7kg

Front squat (no belt)

5x5x85kg

Bench

3x5x71kg

OHP

5x5x43kg

Dips

10 BW

Real fast workout, was in a rush. Was planning on doing 5x5 on bench but I really struggled with the 3 sets.

Edited by chewybaws

Sun 8th January 2012

30 mins on stationary bike

Mon 9th January 2012

Bodyweight = 83.5kg

Lunchtime - 30 mins on stationary bike

PM...

Squats (with belt)

1x2x135kg

1x4x145kg

1x4x150kg

Bench

2x4x72.5kg

1x4x75kg

1x5x75kg

Push Press

5x5x57.5kg

Weighted dips

5,5,3 +20kg

Plank

2 mins

Today was one of those workouts I just had no energy before I started. I didn't even wake up properly till after squatting. My last rep at 150kg was a disaster. My left hip flexor was tight as fuck from a static squat hold yesterday, when i hit the bottom of the squat i kinda leaned to one side and too far forward, struggled but got it up. Someone said it rolled on my back a bit as well but I didn't feel it. Real real happy with the numbers though.

Bench felt 10x better than friday. Push press I struggled with the last rep on 3rd set, didn't hit the leg drive properly. Dips I'll need to deload a bit and build back upto this. I'll get it in a few weeks, was just down to barely doing them over xmas.

Wed 11th January 2012

Deadlift (with belt)

1x2x190kg

1x1x202.5kg

1x1x217.5kg

3x3x160kg

Standing Kroc rows

2x10 each hand with 40kg dumbbell

Chins

8, 6, then 3 wide grip pullups

Close grip lat pulldowns

8,6 x60kg, 13 x45kg

Totally fell short of what I wanted to deadlift this cycle but fuck it, still decent.

My lockout needs a shit tonne of work. This coming cycle I'm actually going to do something about it. Speed work at 160kg was fucking rapid pulling.

cheers man. it's my setup, even when i pulled 227.5kg last summer it was flying till it gets past my knees. but at the top i have to deal with the consequences of an extremely rounded upper back, i leave it all to upper back/hip thrust which seems to be my weakness.

Fri 13th January 2012

Front squat (no belt)

5x5x87.5kg

Bench

1x3x70kg

1x2x75kg

1x1x80kg

Starting to really enjoy front squats, they're getting a bit slower now. Bench was easy, I just wanted to at least do 80kg before starting a new program on monday...speaking of; since my 2nd comp in July last year my training has seriously went down the shitter (last couple of months have been alright, got some strength back again). My coach thinks I'm aiming too high all the time and has wrote me a schedule which will basically have me holding back till a comp.

Although my squat strength has been increasing I need to slow down my negative and make sure I'm hitting depth consistently.

Mon 16th January 2012

Bodyweight = 83.1kg

Squat (no belt)

4x5x112.5kg

Bench

4x5x65kg

Barbell Row

5x5x60kg (took my grip in a good bit so I wasn't comprimising my back position - it's down to poor hamstring flexibility)

Weighted dips

3x5 +10kg, then 12 bodyweight

Weighted Plank

30s each at 25kg, 40kg, 50kg on back

Wed 18th January 2011

Deadlift (no belt)

1x5x157.5kg

1x5x162.5kg

1x5x165kg

Pulls off blocks (knee height)

3x8x160kg (+doubled purple mini bands x2)

Push press

5x5x60kg

Wide grip pullups

3x5

Then some grip work, captains of crush worked upto the #1 for singles with the left hand, got 4 reps with right hand. Some various plate pinch holds.

I always try to get a few no belt sessions in at the start of a cycle while it's still light. The problem is, it's light when using a belt, but without the belt these sets feel like they belong in the 2nd half of a peaking schedule. So they were quite hard and my back ain't feeling too good after the deadlifts. I think from now on, if I want to work on my no belt I should do a full cycle without it.

Quite happy with push press. The numbers aren't impressive but my overhead sucks so I'll take any sort of progress.

My plan was with dropping to 82.5/83kg bodyweight so I could do a comp in that weight class but the more I've thought about this I don't even know if I want to do comps again until (and if at all) I get into a position where I'm breaking records. I kinda forgot why I started training in the first place - to get stronger and bigger. Really everything recently has been about relative strength, and I don't know how the hell I got into that frame of mind.

My last couple of comps really put me off anyway. You put money into it and get nothing back, warming up is never ideal, travel, hassle trying to get time off work, and most of the comp is just standing about being bored. Always slow paced. I hate "peaking", going light 2 weeks around a comp. I miss having a solid level of strength throughout training, and spontaneous PB's on good days. Just want to train and be strong.

Cheers!

Fri 20th January 2012

Bodyweight = 83.2kg

Front squat (no belt)

5x5x90kg

Bench

5x5x55kg + purple mini bands

OHP

5x5x42.5kg

Band assisted wide pullups

10,10,7,7,5 with blue small band, 2 without bands at end

Pushups

8,7 with purple mini band

4 with blue small band

10 without band

Had a great workout today, went into it with the right frame of mind. Had to work hard with front squats but got it. I got some bands a few weeks back so was wanting to test them out for different exercises today. Bands would be great for someone starting out with pullups, there's 2 problems I have with just using them to do more reps though - they help a lot more at the bottom (obviously) and they help tremendously with balance. These are what make pullups really hard and it seems bands would neglect working these areas. OHP was easy.