Can I eat raw gluten powder?

Petitpois

Hi there,

So I'm wondering about using gluten powder as a source of protein in my smoothies.

Can it be eaten raw Can I drop a spoon of it and drink it up without problem?

Why would you want to?

You would get a better quality of protein from protein powders. I doubt the difference in price would be more than chump change. You would also risk getting sick.

You would also risk getting sick.

Are you sure?

Why would it make me sick?

And there is no lump, everything is blended and liquified (I'm just dropping 20g in something like 1,5L)...

And it is way cheaper than other protein I can find here (plus I already have 7kg that I have to use for something). Until now, I'm not sick, but I still wonder because it seems to be always cooked, steamed, fried.

It's very low in lysine, so pretty useless as a protein supplement.

This is a valid concern. The overall protein score of wheat protein is only around 50%, specifically because of the lysine deficiency. So unless you are getting very high lysine vegan foods throughout the rest of the day, I wouldn't replace your shake with wheat gluten.

Norris lists: "Legumes are the foods highest in the amino acid lysine. Tofu, tempeh, and soy meats are the highest, followed by other legume foods. Other than legumes, quinoa and pistachios are decent sources of lysine."