Gaining on the 811 diet?

I read through this whole thread and started mentally typing up my own response until I got to VeganEssentials last post. One of the most articulate and best things I've ever read on a fitness forum.

There is no such thing as "one for all" diet, which is the biggest problem with fitness dialogue - the most important part of designing a program (be a fitness one or a nutrition one) is taking the individual into account. Everyone's body responds differently (mentally and physically) to different macronutrient ratios and training routines - it's about finding what works best for that specific person. Blanket statements and cure-alls do not exist and talking about any diet or program like it's the be-all end-all only perpetuates people not finding out what works for best for them.

Also, saying that a specific diet inherently makes one "healthier" than everyone else is a serious over-generalization and, largely, untrue.

There is no such thing as "one for all" diet, which is the biggest problem with fitness dialogue - the most important part of designing a program (be a fitness one or a nutrition one) is taking the individual into account.

I used to think that is what nutritionists are for. Then I noticed that a lot (almost all?) of them seem to play the same old record they learned in school over and over again and that's it. Disappointing.

There is no such thing as "one for all" diet, which is the biggest problem with fitness dialogue - the most important part of designing a program (be a fitness one or a nutrition one) is taking the individual into account.

I used to think that is what nutritionists are for. Then I noticed that a lot (almost all?) of them seem to play the same old record they learned in school over and over again and that's it. Disappointing.

Well, in one way or another, it "pays the bills" to regurgitate that kind of misinformation - if you start contradicting the norm, people think you're crazy, especially when it comes to nutrition. And I think this is largely the case because a lot of "nutritionists" like to separate exercise and nutrition instead of realizing that they work together to achieve optimum health and fitness results.

I eat a lot of lentils for protein too. I didn't think about powders. 290 g!!! I can't imagine eating that much protein! I struggle to get 70 grams per day. But I don't take any powders or other supps. Maybe I should look into that. The protein recommendations for athletes must be overstated though because I lift like a beast and I don't get a lot of protein. Gaining on the 811 sounds interesting. I like eating fresh fruit. But I wonder about cavities with that much fruit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi guys, I am new to the vegan bodybuilding site but thought I should throw in my $.02. I have been vegetarian for 11 years, vegan for 9 years, raw for 3.5, and 811 for the better part of a year. I can easily gain muscle mass on a 811 diet. I just need to consume 3000-5000 calories of fruit a day depending on my weight goals and workout regime. Organic fruit can be cheap (if you go to farmers markets and or buy in bulk). The best part is that you feel incredible every day and very high endurance levels.

Nice to have you on here, welcome to the forum buddy

You can gain, but you have to keep working out or you will deflate quickly. The protein helps you keep it on but I don't think it's necessary to gain it. You have to keep on lifting to maintain it, it wont be like uncle bob who is still bulky but hasn't worked out in 3 years. Meat does that.

I believe you can gain on any food, like eating just rice followed with a constant workout program, you'd be surprised. All you need is energy and weights to gain. I'm proof. Unless you are trying to get huge or competing, then protein comes along.

811 is fine, but just remember you'll have to deplete glycogen storage's with all that sugar by excessive bodywork, sprints, running, biking and who knows what. Although if you eat fruit in moderation you should be fine. Don't believe all the hype for one second that fruit wont make you fat. If you have low blood sugar it's worse. What Dr Ghram wont tell you is that all that sugar will pour over to fat if the energy is not used. I tried 811 and gained 15 lbs of fat so I'm living proof. I'm also an endomorph and have low blood sugar. So 811 is suicide for that body type.

811 is not for everyone, especially if you are coming from a SAD diet or something, your blood will freak out at first. Just keep it simple man.