Bryan's Winter Workout Log

Winter in Chicago is super brutal. Trying to start the year off right by keeping active mostly indoors and getting outside when I can bear it. Luckily, it's been a milder winter so far so I've been able to get out and run here and there.

So far in January, I've done the following:

Jan 1st: 2 mile run

Jan 2nd: Strength (indoors): 100 Pushups, 100 Sit-ups (4 sets of 25 reps), 50 curls (15 lbs., 2 sets of 20 reps).

and Today: Jan 3rd: 1.5 mile run

Considering I've been trying to shake off this awful cold/cough/sore throat for the past few days, getting outside in the cold is even less appealing. But, I am looking to do a few longer races this summer and the training starts now.

I should mention that I start every morning with a smoothie. Today's consisted of:

1 banana

1 kiwi

4 dates

2 oranges

Small bunch of kale

Handful of frozen raspberries

Tablespoon of chia seeds

Tablespoon of hemp protein

Tablespoon of Vega Sport Performance Protein

Splash of apple juice

Water + Ice

Super tasty way to start the day. My girlfriend and I have been making smoothies with Vega every morning for the last 5-6 months. I can honestly say that the smoothie gives me more energy than anything I used to drink (coffee, tea, etc.) and I feel a lot better throughout the day as a result.

Today I repeated the strength exercise from Monday morning:

100 Pushups, 100 Sit-ups (4 sets of 25 reps), 50 curls (15 lbs., 2 sets of 20 reps).

Afterwards, I had a nice smoothie, a bagel, and a banana.

I'm really looking to just get myself into "training" shape as the year begins. Starting light, eventually building up to longer workouts as the weather gets warmer. I also found out that my new job has an amazing workout facility on site so I'll definitely be looking to take advantage of that. Now if I could only find an affordable place to swim during the winter...

Didn't work out on Thursday but I repeated my strength exercise from Mon/Wed. this AM and went on a gorgeous 2 mi. run when I got home from work. Unseasonably warm in Chicago for January (almost 52!).

Really glad I'm feeling better and might go for a longer run tomorrow morning.

Woke up ready for the mild weather and ready to get a little longer run in. I didn't want to go too much more than the 2 miles I've been doing for the last few weeks but I was ready to do some exploratory running in our new neighborhood (just moved into our new place in Nov).

Went out in my new NMA shirt that I got for Xmas:

http://bryanfarris.com/images/nma.jpg

I took the dog for a quick warm-up and then went out for a nice 3.7 mi. run around our neighborhood. We're surrounded by a forest preserve and a nature sanctuary on either side of our neighborhood. I've been super excited to check out some of the trails and today was perfect for just that:

http://distilleryimage1.instagram.com/d11fb45e398011e19896123138142014_7.jpg

All in all, it was a great day. I made my schedule of races/events I want to do this summer and I couldn't be more excited to start training!

Hey Bryan!

Awesome journal! Thanks for sharing your pictures! Loving the NMA shirt, too!

Glad you're feeling better and able to get outside some. It's been unseasonably warm here in Colorado, too. You know, that whole global warming thing...

Keep up the great work!

All the best,

Karen

Hey Bryan!

Awesome journal! Thanks for sharing your pictures! Loving the NMA shirt, too!

Glad you're feeling better and able to get outside some. It's been unseasonably warm here in Colorado, too. You know, that whole global warming thing...

Keep up the great work!

All the best,

Karen

Thanks Karen! I'm the kind of person who actually enjoys a cold snowy winter so this weather, while welcome, is a little unnerving! My girlfriend and I actually took a road trip out to the west coast a little while ago and spent some time in Colorado (Boulder to be specific). We loved it! It's easily one of the coolest places I've ever visited.

Thanks again for the kind words, I hope you have a great week ahead!

I was able to get outside again today and logged another 2.6 miles. I'm really feeling good about getting into "race" shape as the summer approaches. I'll get around to posting the events I want to participate in one of these days.

After my run I had some Vega Performance Protein (1 scoop), a banana, and some oatmeal.

I'm hoping to continue to run this week even as the weather dips back into normal Midwestern January conditions.

Monday consisted of the same push-ups/sit-ups/curls workouts from last week.

This morning, I was able to get up at 5:30 and get outside for another 2.6 miles. Followed by some Vega Performance Protein and a bagel with some Nutritional Yeast. I brought a smoothie to work with kale, blueberries, kiwi, oranges, Vega WFHO, and some hemp oil.

Yesterday I did my same indoor routine (push-ups/sit-ups/curls) and had an awesome Kale, Pineapple, Kiwi, Banana smoothie with some WFHO, Hemp Protein, Chia Seeds, and some Apple Juice.

Then, last night my band played until late so I gave myself a rest day today. Coincidentally, it also snowed about 6 inches here in Chicago. So, that means more indoor workouts. I'm going to research some weight training for endurance events and put together a gym plan for next week. Details to follow!

Catch-Up Post!

Friday:

100 Push-Ups (4x25)

100 Sit-Ups (4x25)

75 Body Weight Squats (3x25)

40 Dumbell Curls (2x20)

Saturday/Sunday: Light 1.5 mile runs with the dog.

This week I'm going to hit the gym for the first time in forever. I'm going to work on building up some muscle in my arms and legs as I get ready for a busy race season.

Ran AFTER work today because I woke up late (oops!) and was able to get in a 2 mile run even with the sloshy snow everywhere.

This summer, I plan to do the following races:

May:

May Madness Spring Triathlon - Effingham, IL

June:

Scheels Cliff High Half Ironman - Sherwood, WI

Twin Lakes Triathlon - Palatine, IL

August:

Chicago Triathlon - Chicago, IL

September:

Tough Mudder Wisconsin

I'm very, VERY excited about this. Throw in 5 weddings and a new vegan blog, and I'm going to be very busy (in a good way) this year.

Hit the gym this morning for the first time in forever. I followed a light workout suggested by Mark Allen (six-time winner of the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii) that he suggests for triathletes, and the best gym exercises for the 3 sports. I felt like I could do a lot more, so I may switch gears here in a week or so, but I'm going to start light. No injuries!

I did 1 set of 15 reps on each of these. Weights are listed:

Lat Pull-Downs (30)

Leg Extensions (50)

Leg Curls (50)

Bench Press (50)

Squats (50)

Lat Dumbell Raise (10)

Calf Raise (60)

Dumbbell Pullover (15)

Backward Lunges (45)

Bicep Curls (30)

Tricep Extensions (15)

Leg Press (60)

Then 100 Sit-Ups and some stretching.

It felt great to get back in the gym. Can't wait to get back after it.

Took Wednesday off as it's now consistently under 15 degrees when the sun is down. I can't believe I was outside running in shorts just a few days ago.

Anyway, this morning I went back into the gym and repeated the same workout from Tuesday:

Lat Pull-Downs (30)

Leg Extensions (50)

Leg Curls (50)

Bench Press (50)

Squats (50)

Lat Dumbell Raise (10)

Calf Raise (60)

Dumbbell Pullover (15)

Backward Lunges (45)

Bicep Curls (30)

Tricep Extensions (15)

Leg Press (60)

Then 100 Sit-Ups and some stretching.

I also added some lunges (2x12) with 15 lb. weights in each hand.

WOW! Dire need of a re-cap:

I didn't get to exercise save for walking the dog on Sat/Sun, super busy. Need to find a way to work out on super busy days but that's neither here nor there.

Monday:

Treadmill Run - 2.67 mi. in 33 min.

I've been working on my form. I am a major heel-striker so I've been trying to land more on my forefoot. It definitely feels better but parts of my legs are sore that haven't been before.

Tuesday (2 sets of 12/15 reps. Weights are in parentheses):

Lat Pull-Downs (30)

Leg Extensions (50)

Leg Curls (50)

Bench Press (50)

Squats (50)

Lat Dumbell Raise (10)

Calf Raise (60)

Dumbbell Pullover (15)

Backward Lunges (45)

Bicep Curls (30)

Tricep Extensions (15)

Leg Press (60)

Lunges (20)

100 Sit-Ups and some stretching.

Wednesday:

Another treadmill run. Goal of running with better form at a sub 10 minute pace for 30 minutes. I logged 2.98 mi. in 33 1/2 min.

Thursday:

Took today off as my girlfriend and I prepare for our first (of hopefully many) monthly vegan dinners that we prepare for our friends. The majority of them are not vegan so we figure this is a great way to enjoy each others company as well as sharing great vegan food.

Goal moving forward: try to update this every day. It doesn't take much!

Friday:

Lat Pull-Downs (30)

Leg Extensions (50)

Leg Curls (50)

Bench Press (50)

Squats (50)

Lat Dumbell Raise (10)

Calf Raise (60)

Dumbbell Pullover (15)

Backward Lunges (45)

Bicep Curls (30)

Tricep Extensions (15)

Leg Press (60)

Lunges (20)

100 Sit-Ups and some stretching.

Saturday & Sunday: 2.5 mi COLD runs outside. Glad I got some outerwear for Christmas!

Today I logged 3.3 miles in just over 30 minutes. I'm slowly increasing my pace while trying to keep my new form. Going to try to increase my running from 3 days a week to 4. Eventually, I'm going to be morphing into an actual running guide like the half-marathon road map on nomeatathlete.com. For now, just getting used to running with the new form.

Monday: 3.3 mile run in 30 minutes. Running at a faster pace while focusing on running comfortably. I need to grab some new shoes as I've had the current ones for more than I'd like to admit.

Tuesday: Same weights workout from before. 2 sets of each. Trying to get used to working these muscle groups. I haven't lifted on a serious schedule since high school swimming.

TODAY: 2.5 mile run at a much faster pace (about 9 1/2 min). I got to run outside because, well, it's 50 degrees in Chicago on February 1st.

This concludes my first full month of a training log. I think it really contributed to keeping me on pace and has now inspired me to start my personal site that I keep neglecting to begin.

Hit the gym today for the same endurance set that I've been doing for the last few weeks. Really starting to feel comfortable with the weights & reps. I am going to stick to this set for the next few weeks and figure out what weights I can safely get to and put up 15 reps each for 2 sets. Once my first race (May) gets closer, I'll do a few weeks of more intense, higher weight, less reps workouts and then taper. I'll probably repeat that pattern in shorter fashion in preparation for the Half-Ironman in June.

Monday: 3.2 mi. run at a cadence of 90. I've been trying to work on my form on the treadmill. Doing a lot of research about cadence and where I should be striking my foot. My legs don't get as tired during the run and I definitely feel lighter on my feet, but different parts of my legs are sore that weren't before. I'm attributing that to the new muscles being used.

Tuesday: Same weights workout

Today (Wed.): 3.6 mi. run at a cadence of 85. Trying to find a happy "base" area to start training on.

I've recently been listening to the Zen and the Art of Triathlon podcast and it's getting me really excited to start racing and for the weather to get nicer.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last post but that doesn't mean I haven't been working out. I've on a pretty consistent "Base training" schedule that looks like this:

Monday: Run (usually easy 2.5 mi.)

Tuesday: Same weights workout

Wednesday: Run (usually 75% at at least 25-30 min. Usually get 2.5-3.0mi. in that time)

Thursday: Run (30 min, 60-75%)

Friday: Weights

Saturday: Swimming (1500 yards)

It still hasn't been nice enough to ride but I've got most everything I need to get out on my (used) new bike.

The most important part of my post though is that my NYNY Prize Pack came today and I couldn't be more surprised, inspired, and grateful to be a part of RC's community. He is an incredible dude and has really lit a fire under my ass for 2012.

70.3 HERE I COME!

Yay, you got your prize package! Hope you enjoy it. Our donors were quite generous (particularly HealthForce Nutritionals)! Thanks for being such a valuable member of this community! Hope you'll be sticking around.

All the best,

Karen

Thanks again Karen! I definitely will be. The NYNY challenge has helped me start 2012 better than I've started the last few years and I've stuck with it. Couldn't be more pleased.

With that being said:

Monday: 2 mi. easy run. I'm starting to incorporate part of the half-marathon roadmap from NoMeatAthlete.com. I'm going to mix up the "to finish" and "to fitness" plans to build up my running stamina to prep for the last 13.1 miles of the 70.3 in June!

Today: Weights again, same routine. Starting to feel a bit too easy ( ) so I'm going to start turning up the weights & scaling back the reps as soon as next week.

Tomorrow: 3 mi. run, hopefully outside. It's supposed to be 50+ degrees tomorrow, I'm hoping it'll be nice early.