Sherrie's Training Journal

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

January 1st 2012!

Resting up, getting prepped to dive into my goals.

Ate: Oat-bran, vegan chili, apple with almond butter, and drinking my detox tea and water, water, water!

Activity: Taking/Hauling down the tree and holiday decorations, cleaning, laundry, and getting food (and myself) ready for the week back to work!

Tomorrow I am going to hit the gym for some cardio and weights OK- so now it's out there and the universe (and this community) has heard- so I will do this!!!

Great gym day!

After a long day of sitting at work--yes, I said "work"--hit the gym for:

3 miles on the treadmill

Upper body--lats

chest

biceps and triceps

side bends with kettlebell and leg pull-up for my abs

Finished off with 15 minutes on the Staormaster

Food: Green Shake (spinach, flax, frozen banana, soy milk, powder PB)

Oat Bran and Greek Yogurt (tips on a vegan alternative???????????)

Lunch: crackers and salsa, almonds, seaweed flakes, and lots of water.

*****I digress: The lunch was brought in today and we had soup- I assumed a veggie soup would be a choice. No! So- I scrounged up what was available from others who brought in snacks (this consisted mainly of junk left-over from the holidays) and what I had brought myself. I didn't starve but was extremely frustrated! I feel like I should speak so there will at least be a vegetarian option at these things. Thoughts?****************

I had a Picky Bar before working out tonight.

Supper- Hubby is making a Lentil soup/Quinoa concoction of yum!

I am open for any suggestions on meals as this is typically where I have the most difficulty.

Thanks!!

January 3rd!!

Meals Today: Green Smoothie

Greek Yogurt with Oat bran (found an alternative to the dairy I am gonna try tomorrow! Thanks to a convo with some vegan goddesses!

Leftover quinoa/lentil yums and an apple

Picky Bar

Tonight- Hummus with rice and nut crackers.

Detox tea

My activity consisted of:

Working my abs (plan- 100 before bed each night)

Worked my IT band with some exercises my PT gave me.

Stretching- as we speak

Are my posts being seen? Anyone out there?

January 4!

Great Day...

Meals: Green Smoothie and dry cereal later.

Lunch was on the go so I had almonds and an apple (too many almonds).

Picky Bar

I had veg chili with Quinoa this evening before heading to make a grocery run.

Walked for 30 minutes at school (hit the stairs every cycle) and will do my 100 crunches before bed...along with my detox tea of course!

It's great checking out everyone's journals. Lots of inspiration out there!!

Thanks everyone!

Am I the only one who reads my journal? I could sure use some feedback from all you inspiring athletes out there!

January 5th-T-minus 8 minutes to take-off to the gym.

60 degrees here in IA today! And one would think my run would be outdoors. Alas, an oil change puttered that out of the plan.

So- My goal is an hour on the mill, upper body on the free-weights and (because I forgot my 100 crunches last night) 200 of those bad boys tonight!

Looks like a spring half marathon and fall marathon are in my future this year. Base building needs to be happenin!

Meals today:

Green smoothie

Coconut yogurt with quinoa ( hello substitute!)

Lunch: rice and quinoa and an apple

Snack: sunflower seeds and dried mango pieces

I ate half a vega bar when I got home to fuel my workout.

Not sure about dinner yet. Have lots of veggies....any suggestions?

Have a good one all!

What a long week!

January 6th...going strong!

While I wasn't able to stay on the mill for an hour I DID get in a 3.5 mile run, upper body, and did my 100 crunches. Just realized I didn't get the other 100! Darn! Looks like 200 is in my future tonight!

Meals:

B- Green Smoothie then Coconut yogurt with quinoa

L- Rice and quinoa, apple, carrots

S- Mango (dried) and tea

D- Not sure yet...may have soup again.

I am exhausted so tonight those abs may be all I get done. BUT it is something!!!

Tomorrow heading up north early morn and running 4 miles with my gals!

I know I won't have access to post tomorrow so know that I have a very active day ahead of me and will update Sunday!

Cheers!

Sunday, January 8th

Knew I wouldn't be able to post yesterday as I was on a Girls' Weekend up north...BUT here's a recap:

Went to a small shopping district and walked around for hours. We ate pretty healthy, stopping for lunch at a small cafe where I ate a veggie sandwich and had a soy latte.

Our day went on to include a four mile run on a beautiful trail in Minnesota, then more shopping at the local Co-op. Got a great vegan sandwich on gluten-free bread and some tasty veggies with hummus to enjoy later.

Had some energy work done and started making my vision board for the new year. It was a healing, spiritual, active day!

Today we finished our vision boards, went for a 45 minute walk through the country, and am now safely back home!

Meals so far today:

B- Pro-Bar and tea.

S- Rice Cake with Almond Butter

Lots of water!

Purefit Bar on the way home

I am now enjoying a Kombucha and pumpkin seeds.

I am looking forward to a relaxing dinner of veggies and tempeh with my hubby later.

In the meantime- unpacking, hanging my vision board, and hoping to get back outside for a short run/walk and ab work. 200 today as last night I zonked out without doing them!

Hope you all had a GREAT weekend!

So I tried to post yesterday and when I hit send- our internet went down for the night. UGH.

Maybe it's for the best. Yesterday was rough with a capital "R".

No workout- drained and ornery.

Meals- Not so good either.

B: Green Smoothie

S: Green Smoothie

L: Granola, apple, and Larabar

S: candy (ugh)

I had half a can of black beans mixed with quinoa on the drive in to a meeting...then...

D: Coconut Bliss IC with a scoop of PB...THEN I had more PB, wine, cereal with chocolate almond milk and more wine.

Went to bed feeling gross and even more ornery.

SO___ TODAY = BETTER

Meals:

B- Green Smoothie

S: Vega Shake and Go (sipped about half)

L: Green Smoothie, Apple and half a Larabar

S: Protein Shake (vegan) and an apple (lil bit of sunflowers too)

Gym- 3 miles on the treadmill (very tired through most of it but it got DONE!)

Dinner: I am looking at tempeh and veggies in my future.

Much better day. I think the scale put me on the downward spiral yesterday. I felt like my weekend was great and that I should have seen that reflected in my weight. Not so much. Frustrating.

I could really use some feedback. Am I not eating enough?

S.O.S!!!!

January 11th...

Better day....thank goodness.

Meals:

B: Green Smoothie

S-Apple + Vegan protein shake

L: Green Smoothie, rice cake and sunflower butter

S- Apple

Clif Bar and carrots on the way to a meeting

Home at 9:30- dry cereal

Workout: School walk- halls and three flights of stairs. 35 minutes

Nice journal! I especially like this line:

Gym- 3 miles on the treadmill (very tired through most of it but it got DONE!)
I love that feeling of having "done it" even when i was tired.

I don't have any substitutes for greek yogurt, mostly because I don't know exactly what it is. I think it might be thicker than regular watery yogurt made out of fermented cow teat secretions? I really like soy yogurt, and there's stuff made out of almond milk on the market too. My favorite brand is Nancy's, it's organic and so good.

If you're be more specific about your workouts and amounts of stuff in your diet, someone here might be able to give you specific feedback. What are your goals? Do you have a personal trainer?

Hi Sherrie! Oh my gosh, I just saw your posts about not getting feedback and feeling like no one is reading your journal! So sorry if you're feeling discouraged. I'm clicking the box to be notified when you post, so that I can keep tabs on you.

I am just getting into fitness myself and participating in the January challenge, so I may not have tons of answers for you in regard to some of your questions. But, I have been vegan for a couple years, so if I can help you in any way, feel free to reach out to me!

Regarding vegan yogurt, sounds like you found an alternative to dairy that you like. I also like soy yogurt and almond yogurt. Mmm...

You've had remarkable consistency in working out and journaling, and that's really inspiring to see! And I LOVE the fact that you said you're "jazzed" to start this! I use that expression all the time.

I'll check back on you soon!

All the best,

Karen

Nice consistency, Sherrie!

Great work. What have you enjoyed most about this challenge thus far? We're having a lot of fun putting it together, but it's so hard to keep up with everything! I'm finding that just by recording my lifts, I'm lifting way heavier than I would be if I didn't have to be accountable, which is a pretty awesome benefit.

Hope you have a great rest of your week/weekend!

All the best,

Robert

January 12th...

Thanks you soooooooooooooooooooooo much for the responses. I was beginning to feel like I was posting wrong or something. I will definitely try to be more specific about my workouts now that I have someone keeping tabs on me (so great karen!!)

I have found a great alternative to Greek yogurt but with my smoothies I have not had much anyway.

Robert- The thing I like most about this challenge is the number of training journals that inspire, motivate, teach, and make me feel okay with being human

I think about my journal when I reach for candy, think about excuses for skipping the gym, and I think about my journal when I get my food ready for the day. It has been incredibly motivating for me just knowing I will be posting. And like you said, keeping myself accountable. I understand how hard it is with so many journals, to reply....but gosh, it sure helps to get any reply posts at all and to know someone is there to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.

So- today--

Meals: B- Vega shake n go smoothie (on the way to work)

S- Green smoothie

L- Rice cakes (2) with sunflower butter, apple, and Larabar (1/2)

Got outta work early due to weather

S/Pre-workout: almonds (3) Picky Bar and energy drink

D- 2 Vegan patty with sweet potato fries and small piece of tempeh (starving!!!!!)

Workout- 4 mile run (38 min)

Shoulder press: 2x8reps

Bicep curl: 3x8reps

Chest press: 1x10

Triceps: 2x8

I also did a variety of 125 crunches.

Thanks again for the replies. Really motivates me to keep posting!

Hi Sherrie!

So, what's the Greek yogurt substitute you've found that you like? Just curious. Truthfully, I don't know the difference between Greek yogurt and 'regular' yogurt! And I've also gotta ask, what is a Picky bar? I see that several times througout your journal, but I don't know what it is.

You're really doing great! Keep up the great work!

-Karen

January 16,

UGH!!!!! After being on the road all weekend I have not been able to post! So here is an update to the last few days.

First- Karen- I have used Coconut 'yogurt' but now am using other forms of protein. Picky Bars are a product of runner Lauren Fleshman and posse. They are natural, home-made bars that are gluten free and dairy free. They contain a great ratio of protein and carbs, easy on the stomach. She sells them from their website.

Friday- No workout.

At the vet during the few hours I had due to a late start at work.

On the road to Chicago the second half of the day then meetings. Dinner served for the conference I was attending was not good on my stomach. Blech.

Meals- Smoothies x2

Picky Bar in the car.

Packed some snack items like a package of shake n go smoothies, dates, seeds, apples, and vegan protein shakes.

Dinner was a vegetarian ravioli and mushroom soup. Not good on the bod.

Saturday-

3 mile run, abs, and a short circuit on the hotel machines.

Meals:

B- fruit and protein shake

S- Picky Bar

L- Vegetarian option at the conference (veggie layer with red sauce)

Note- also did not set well with me. Spent the afternoon in the room. ugh.

Walked Michigan Ave.

D- Vino, veggies and hummus. Then we visited the salad bar and I made a wonderful vegan salad to eat back at the room.

Sunday-

No Workout

B- Fruit and bagel

Protein shake

On the road back home- stopped at a mall and had veggies and steamed rice.

Flat tire 4 hours from home.

In the car had seeds, chocolate, coffee, ....must I go on? Not a good day.

Today- back at it!!!!!!

Getting the tire fixed.

Had a pro-bar upon rising (long night of sleep )

Gonna enjoy lunch with hubby before car appointment. Greens and seeds.

Workout plan: 4 mile run. Upper body and abs then stairs.

I will let you know how that goes

January 17th!

Thanks Karen!

So last night I crumpled and snacked on chocolate and a nut mix pretty late. The scale was NOT kind to me this morning at all...

Today- Back on track!

Late start today so I slept in and packed my usual lunch. I was running around most the day since we also let out early (4 hours of school??) and will try to include all foods in this journal.

B- Green Smoothie

S- Sipped a cleanse drink from Arbonne throughout the day.

L- Rice cakes (2) with sunflower butter and a vegan protein shake

S- Dried mango and snack mix

D- Carrots, hummus, and tofurkey pieces

Workout: I did a dumbbell circuit and am heading to the gym for some cardio as soon as hubby gets home! Circuit:

Each exercise I completed with 10 lb bells and did 12 reps 2x

Shoulder press

One armed row

Chest press

Tri-Kick back

Stationary lunges w/weights

Squats

Ab press w/weight...then added 150 more crunches.

Tonight I will have my cleansing tea and no snacks!

Happy Day!

January 18 and 19

16 hour day yesterday so no workout BUT my meals stayed in check!

Meals:

B- Smoothies (2)

S- Kashi Bar

L- Salad with beans and nuts and an apple

S- "cheese" stick and rice cake with nut butter

D- On the road- Pro-bar

S- Starving when I got home!! Snack mix

TODAY

Meals-

B: Smoothie

S: Smoothie

L- Salad with beans/nuts/"cheese" and an apple

S- Rice cake and nut butter

D- Lentil Soup

Having a more substantial lunch helps me with starvation when I get home after work.

Workout: 60 minute Bootcamp. UGH!!!

January 20th- Snow Day!!

Spent the morning at an eye appointment and catching up on Grimm episodes, FB, and emails. Sore from bootcamp yesterday but after I found out the hubby was also coming home early, I dedicated us to a gym visit.

Workout- 4 miles on the treadmill and a "hike" to and from the gym

Meals so far:

B- Smoothie

S- Amazing Grass Food Bar, coffee with Vegan Chai

Nuts and figs pre-gym visit.

Rest of the day looks like a salad with beans and nuts, then dinner at the local sushi place (walking- it's up the street). Any recommendations????

Movie night with the hubby tonight!!!

Looking forward to an active and snowy weekend!

Thanks Karen!!!

Last night we ended up going up the street (walked) to the Thai place. Had veggie with curry sauce...they make it with coconut milk!

Had a little vino and watched a movie...something upset my stomach though.

Better now.

Started the day off with a smoothie with Amazing Grass meal (thanks Eco-Vegan Gal) and my cleanse drink.

Heading to the eye doctor for a pre-op appt (lasik next week!!!!!) then off to the gym!