Linus' Blue Blanket corner

Well, yesterday I did 25 miles or so from my house to the bridge that leads to Rockaway Beach and back. The cold wind kinda prevented me from continuing since I had lost sensation in my toes (confirmed blue when I got back). Hopefully this weekend will be nicer and I can go for a longer ride. I noticed the trail seems to follow the Beltway so it makes for a nice long training path, which I want to use as the summer progresses.

Today and tomorrow I'm going to do a simple water/juice fast (with just the occasional fresh fruit or raw veggie) to clean my system out some. I had kinda started over the weekend with a restricted diet (no breads, no grains, no sugar) so it won't feel so bad. I won't have any heavy workouts and any that I do have will be done slowly and with extra breaks.

And I'm hoping that my kettlebells I ordered (along with a book on them) arrives soon so I can look into doing that. If the Kettlebells work out then I may, once the gym fees come up at the end of the year cancel that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had to cancel my kettlebell order and get them from another place. I should see them by tomorrow or Thursday.

And my 2nd day of my fast seems to be going well. I've actually been fine and haven't had any light-headedness or anything. I'm kinda not surprised since when I'm on tour there are days where I'll bike non-stop and pretty much just collapse at the end of the day without any food intake and just water and sports drinks. Anyways, today I'll do some weight training at home since I don't feel like being at the gym.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to get better at this stuff. I got the kettlebells while I was in Irvine last week. And I love them. I may have to fork over for the gym membership until it runs out and when it does I think I'll stop it at the end of the year. What a waste! I should have invested in these a while ago. I don't need a huge workout area and they truly do take little room. And I can use them whenever I want.

Traveling has not been helpful in my attempts to get myself in better shape and I hate that I'm letting it do that. I need to spend more time on the bicycle road and less time arguing with the computer. I think some of it is still a fear of NYC roads and the images I've heard about, although in the couple of rides I've done it's been nothing like that. I just need to get out more. I have a busy day today but tomorrow I only have a massage. If I get my butt out of bed early, I use that gym membership and then go for the massage but do some cycling before and perhaps after (if the weather isn't too bad). I really need to get back into some kind of rhythm with my impending tour looming.

• 1 month later...

Well, things have been challenging for me of late. I have been fairly regular with my kettlebells and increasing the time with them. Additionally, I've started the actual process to transition. For those that don't know what that means, I was born a female. I have started the medical process to change my physical presentation to male/male-gendered. While I'll always view myself as a transguy/transboi, I know society will view me as a man based entirely on my outwardly appearance. Regardless, this transition isn't for society but is for me and what I feel comfortable with. Right now, while I'm comfortable with a lot of things in life, parts of my body I'm not comfortable with (regardless of how much weight I lose). With luck, I should be on medically prescribed T by the end of the summer/start of the fall. (btw, if you have questions about this don't be afraid to ask -- I'm very open about it).

K, my primary g/f, has started running to help her deal with her depression (due to her sister's death). I'll be joining her on her morning runs when she gets back from L.A. That tied with the T should help me lose the 30-40 I want to lose. Anyways, thought I'd update this since it's well overdue. I'm not perfect and my path isn't always the straightest but I do find my way at some point, like the slow and steady turtle.

• 1 month later...

Heh.. well, let's see here:

- our building has lost elevator service and we're on the top (7th) floor. This has been a great add-on for regular walks. I feel bad for those around us who are elderly (many have difficulty to walk as it is), have disabilities or have lots of young kids but for K and I we look at it as another form of exercise.

- I've been using the Kettlebells for basic arm and shoulder exercises (for the most part) and one or two back exercises.

- I've pulled something in my right shoulder but haven't been able to get it sorted out.

- I officially started my transition on Thursday with my first testosterone shot. It's only a half-dosage and I'm not really feeling any difference yet (I was told that sex drive is usually the first to appear) but we'll see. It's all rather exciting either way.

...Additionally, I've started the actual process to transition. For those that don't know what that means, I was born a female. I have started the medical process to change my physical presentation to male/male-gendered. While I'll always view myself as a transguy/transboi, I know society will view me as a man based entirely on my outwardly appearance. Regardless, this transition isn't for society but is for me and what I feel comfortable with. Right now, while I'm comfortable with a lot of things in life, parts of my body I'm not comfortable with (regardless of how much weight I lose). With luck, I should be on medically prescribed T by the end of the summer/start of the fall. (btw, if you have questions about this don't be afraid to ask -- I'm very open about it)...

Hey, best of luck! I do have a question for you: correct me if I'm wrong -- is it you believe that your feelings are more male than female? As well, is it even "feelings" which you believe 'makes you' male/female? I have a curiosity with the whole thing (sexism), and wonder if the gender difference is in actuality, insignificant; and that it is not only primarily but also close to entirely sociologically and culturally based (which leads to psychological -->belief -->behavior, etc.) that determines our "differences."

And, if so, how do you determine what is 'male' and what is 'female'? (In regard to penchants, inclinations, feelings, etc.

K, my primary g/f,.

So there's a non-primary?!

Hey, best of luck! I do have a question for you: correct me if I'm wrong -- is it you believe that your feelings are more male than female? As well, is it even "feelings" which you believe 'makes you' male/female? I have a curiosity with the whole thing (sexism), and wonder if the gender difference is in actuality, insignificant; and that it is not only primarily but also close to entirely sociologically and culturally based (which leads to psychological -->belief -->behavior, etc.) that determines our "differences."

And, if so, how do you determine what is 'male' and what is 'female'? (In regard to penchants, inclinations, feelings, etc.

Well, it's more than feelings, it's that my inner core of who I am and how I think is male. How I view myself is also male and what I need to do is correct what has happened at birth, which is basically a misgender assignment. Many people say that gender is a social construct and it's very possible it may be. But I also have my own view of what my gender identity is and what *I* want it to be, which is probably the most important thing. Society may still say that I'm female-bodied but to my mine as to who I am, I am male (or rather, as I prefer, a transguy).

For me male and female are more than just the outward look but also how one thinks, processes, etc. There are behaviours that I would say are more male-like (I tend to be very literal, logical and want solutions rather than stories -- a very male/masculine attributed behaviour) and some which are more female-like (my g/f tends to be very much about wanting listening, support, etc.).

Hopefully that answers your questions.

There could be but not right now. We lead a poly lifestyle but have put that on hold for now because we both have far too much going on.

For me male and female are more than just the outward look but also how one thinks, processes, etc. There are behaviours that I would say are more male-like (I tend to be very literal, logical and want solutions rather than stories -- a very male/masculine attributed behaviour) and some which are more female-like (my g/f tends to be very much about wanting listening, support, etc.).

Our experiences with our three little girls support this. Both being parents that have made a conscious effort not to steer our girls in to particular gender roles, toys, thought processes etc., have found all three to be very much feminine and girly, although the younger two are definitely more on the girly/makeup/fashion side, which is totally opposite anything they see in their parents. When we hang out with similar parents who make a conscious effort not to define gender roles, the very much masculine habits of their little boys are very apparent, even stunning at times.

We are definitely born with gender identities, which are clearly influenced by social norms, but have much deeper roots. I can't even concieve of the idea that we are all 100% one way or the other, that our outward appearances always match our minds. Hermaphrodites are an extreme example of the physical not even having the possibility of matching the mind.

There could be but not right now. We lead a poly lifestyle but have put that on hold for now because we both have far too much going on.

Nice, we are poly at heart, but haven't had the opportunity to ever really explore it. We both agree that it would naturally manifest itself in a more communal living situation, but life is too busy and often draining as it is, neither of us has the time or energy to pursue any other relations. That and we are both extremely satisfied with what we have together. We do sometimes explore our sexual desires with other couples, but haven't developed any emotional attachments.

Sounds like you have gotten to know yourself quite well SyrLinus, which is far more than most people ever accomplish. Best wishes in your transformation and everything else, hopefully it will be that piece of the puzzle that allows you to feel complete.

• 3 months later...

Welp. A well overdue update. I've started T hormones (for my transition) and have started looking into surgery options (top surgery aka chest surgery). I need to shed the weight I've gained from being on the road so much and in front of the computer so much. I'm thinking that adhering to more raw in my diet will help with that. I discovered I walk about 3 miles each I day teach (from pacing and walking in the classroom). I've also done something rather simple: every bathroom visit gets at least 20 pushups. I figured out I go about 5-8 times a day. I've also added a small kit to my luggage to take with me to do in-room exercises for when I watch tv or am waiting for something. I think getting to the basics will help a lot.

The T is showing rapid results -- far faster than anticipated -- as far as the external is concerned. I haven't see too much internal change (some transguys report "emotional blocking" occurring and high sex drive -- although that has occurred). It's all good IMO.

We'll see how it goes. I ain't no bodybuilder but I am intent on being fit and healthy as well as mindful of others.

• 3 years later...

Oi! I've had a hard last few years and I'm finally scheduling stuff for me. And when I say scheduling, I mean I'm blocking time off in my calendar for fitness. I've found a local, within walking distance trainer. Although she's somewhat skeptical of me doing a raw vegan diet (I want to see if I can keep to 50-75% raw when at home -- on the road can be a challenge). Now that it's been 8 months since my surgery, I figure I've healed enough that it's time to focus on me. I still have a goal of biking from Vancouver, B.C. to Los Angeles in 2013 and I do think it's a reasonable one.

I've been stocking up on a variety of Vega products (Robert, you should be getting something from Veganessentials on my recent order) and being more critical of myself. I've determined I cannot do an omnivore diet. I neither feel good ethically nor physically. It's too much of a drain on my already stressed system. This year is going to be busy as I've been tagged to write a book (IT Technical Certification book) in addition to all the other things I do for work.

Today was the first day I met the trainer and we did a session to assess my fitness (or severe lack thereof). I know I need to increase my intake for protein and calories in general. I've gotten so used to a very sedentary diet and not used to working out hard. It resulted in a not-pleasant light-headed sensation. I still had some Vega Chocolate Instant shake so I'm going to use that on Friday when I go back. Although I'm not a bodybuilder type, I am interested in getting fit, tone and just feeling better overall. I may have to read both Robert's book and Brendan's books again as inspiration.

If anyone reads here, does anyone have suggestions for the on-the-road (flying to locations) eating? I will likely bring my shakes and shaker with me along with some nuts (I'll probably just be vegan while on the road as raw vegan may be challenging at times due to limited ability to travel outside of the area I end up in).

Today was far better. We're still just gently pushing at this point to get myself back used to fitness. I made sure that I had a decent amount of water and calorie intake this morning before heading over to my trainers. I had a Vega Chocolate Instant shake before going there and brought one with for afterwards. I also brought a couple of bananas and some plain almonds (enough for a serving or two). Tomorrow I should get my VeganEssentials order which includes pre- and post- recovery options.

My next step is to organize my own cardio plan to do when I'm not doing weight training. I think I may see about going to bed earlier and getting up earlier (say 4:30am rather than my 5:30-6:30am) and go biking. I will have to tune-up my bike but it would be worthwhile, especially given my goals to do a long tour. The only thing I'll need to make sure is that I'm very visible.

Can I just say that I love, love, love the taste of the Vega Tropical Post Recovery shake?! It's like drinking one of those creamsicles. I really do hate the chalky taste I often experience with shakes. I think I'll have to get the tropical for my pre-workout shake and some of the individual packets for when I'm on the road. We're starting to amp up my workouts a bit and I'm being really cautious and conscientious about grazing throughout the day, particularly on workout days. My overall mood, alertness and energy has increased significantly by doing just even these hour long workouts (today was back, biceps, abs and cardio). I'll have to make sure I stick to it when I'm in Dallas next week. I think I'll just use my body weight for the exercises (I even have an app for that!)

Yay Linus is back!

When I travel, I just pack a tub or large baggie of whatever protein powder I'm using at the time, along with some sandwich baggies with individual serving sizes of it. It ends up being way, way cheaper than ore packed single serving sizes. I also always make sure I have a good supply of whatever bars I'm using at the time, which may or may not be a good thing if you have a lunabar addiction like me. Nuts are a dangerous thing for me to travel with. I like tofu jerky for a salty treat, I can find it in bulk at our co-op. Baby carrots, apples, celery sticks, etc are things that travel well for me too.

As I was reading through this thread, I remembered something that you might already know about, but I figured I would mention it: The Q Center has a trans resource list which has a section for personal trainers.

Have fun on your trip!

Yay Linus is back!

When I travel, I just pack a tub or large baggie of whatever protein powder I'm using at the time, along with some sandwich baggies with individual serving sizes of it. It ends up being way, way cheaper than ore packed single serving sizes. I also always make sure I have a good supply of whatever bars I'm using at the time, which may or may not be a good thing if you have a lunabar addiction like me. Nuts are a dangerous thing for me to travel with. I like tofu jerky for a salty treat, I can find it in bulk at our co-op. Baby carrots, apples, celery sticks, etc are things that travel well for me too.

As I was reading through this thread, I remembered something that you might already know about, but I figured I would mention it: The Q Center has a trans resource list which has a section for personal trainers.

Have fun on your trip!

LOL.. I'm working on it. I've been pretty good and feeling good about it. I've been contemplating the sandwich bags. Maybe I'll get the "snack" bag size and use those for the individual servings. I have some raw bars but might pick up some of the Luna ones or try to hit Whole Foods on Saturday (I'm off flying on Sunday morning). On the plus, I checked and my hotel is near two potential vegan restaurants (not raw but vegan). I will have to see if there are any groceries near by to get some good snacks.

Now what is the Q Center? The trainer I have isn't bad and I've only had a few sessions with her. I'm paying for 20 sessions to start with to see how things go. Then I'll re-evaluate if need be.

I second all of viva's suggestions. Also, most restaurants have some sort of salad, but sometimes it is a sad plate of iceberg lettuce with not much to fill you up. If you are carrying a bag of nuts or something you can add that to the salad. Or sunflower seeds or something along those lines.

The easiest thing I've found is that if you have a hotel room with a fridge, plan a jaunt to a food store and get some fruit and veggies and other supplies (peanut butter, hummus, whatever you want).

Ah.. Q Center is a little far for me in Los Angeles

Since the g/f did an order to the VeganStore (she likes certain sweets there that VeganEssentials doesn't carry or have in stock), I got a few of the individualized packets until I get some little snack bags to do my own individualized portions. I had a really good workout this morning (back, triceps, shoulders) and discovered that my right-elbow isn't fond of tricep dips. I'm not sure if it was because my hands were too close behind me or if it was because I'm so out of shape. She's going to send me a workout schedule for next week while I'm on the road and I may try a slightly wider hand grip to see if it makes a difference. I checked the hotel and it apparently has some kind of mini-gym but I won't know how useful it is or isn't until I get there. At worst, I'll use my "Use Your Own Body" workout app on my iPad for exercises in my hotel room if need be.

So far, however, I'm glad I spent the money for personal training. I find I push myself more and I hold myself more accountable to doing the workouts than if I do it by myself.

So I've been limited to rice and stir fried veggies for dinner. And salad for lunch. I have 3 of my Vega protein shakes, pre-workout and post-workout shakes. The gym is less than stellar. There is one elliptical and 2 treadmills. As for free weights, all I had were 2lb, 4lb, 6lb and 8lb medicine balls. One of those balls had handles. So I used that but increased the reps by 4-6 (so instead of 8 I did 14 and instead of 10, did 14). I also limited breaks in-between to keep my heart rate up and included regular blips of cardio (2-3 min each). My biceps, triceps and abs are hurting. My shoulders, however, are ok and I think that I probably could have increased reps.

Anyways, I'm pleased that I actually did it even if my trainer wasn't here. I could have easily just pretended given how long the day was (up at 530am -- after going to bed at midnight --, start class at 730 and finish the day at 8pm). But I did it. So now, going to relax, recover and sleep soon.

Sigh. Now I remember why it's so hard to workout when on the road and with a colleague I get along with really well. Didn't get back until 900ish and still had more work to do. Makes for a long day when up at 6am each day. I think I'm going to try to getup at 530am and see if I squeeze a workout tomorrow morning.

Welp. I missed out this morning but since we finished early I made sure to book the time after dinner. I completed my leg workout that my trainer sent me. She was pretty good about using a lot of the exercises from the iPhone App You are Your own Gym. At the least, no matter what the gym has (or rather, what it doesn't have) I can do the workout. Today was awesome. The remaining workout for the week I'll do on Saturday when I'm home. It's been a brutal week with long hours and it's nice to be on my way home.