Amber's Super Rad Training Journal

Hi! I'm Amber and I'm currently living in Denver, Colorado. I went vegan in September of 2010. It started as a week-long detox after a vacation, and turned into a permanent lifestyle once I looked at the ethical reasons for veganism. It was the best thing I've done for myself so far!

I'm currently 5'6" and 131 lbs. Ever heard the term "skinnyfat"? Yeah, that's me. I've been running off and on for a few years and it has helped me shed some pounds. Running is great, but it's not really helping me build muscle, which I desperately need. My goals are to gain core, arm and leg strength, and to firm up those areas as well. As for recent training... I turned 30 on December 30th and ran 13.25 miles! That's the longest I've ever run. Unfortunately I didn't train very well up to that point and was reeeeally sore up until yesterday, so I've been slacking on my training.

My eating habits are the best they've ever been, but I could still use some guidance on what to eat before and after I work out. I almost always have a giant bowl of oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, fruit or veggies as snacks, and a tempeh or tofu scramble loaded with veggies for lunch. I usually end up overeating at dinner and I'm trying to figure out why that happens. I'm a former baker with a huge sugar/fat addiction. Right now I have it under control and don't touch sweets. I had cake on my birthday and felt like complete crap. It was a nice reminder to avoid stuff like that. I plan on keeping a food journal here as well.

That's enough about me! I'm really looking forward to making some new friends, and I'm especially excited to work with Claudia Lailhacar and get whipped into shape!

Hi Amber, congrats on your choice to go vegan! Will be following along with your journal...LOVE your ink!

Yay! Hi! I'll be following your journal too. Looks like you've already put in a lot of work. From what I can see in your avatar, you sure don't look 39. Nice work!

Just finished my first run of the year! Denver's weather is gorgeous today (sunny and mid-50s!) so I did a quick run around the neighborhood.

3.11 mi / 00:30:29 / 09:47 pace

I drank 32 ounces of water and ate an apple about an hour before I ran. It did a good job keeping me hydrated and full of energy. I sure do love me some fruit!

I'm eating well today. Full food & fitness post coming later tonight.

Hi Amber!

Hope you are doing great!

Please feel free to email me direct with any questions you may have ok? : )

If you are working with weights your oats are great for a pre workout..slow carbs and will give you energy you need.

Post workout...a MUST if you are working with weights and trying to gain muscle..You MUST drink a post workout shake no more than 30 -40 min riight after. Fruit juice with Protein powder..I add BCAA and Glutamine.

Saw you on my FB page..Thanks!!

Chat soon!

Hi Amber!

Hope you are doing great!

Please feel free to email me direct with any questions you may have ok? : )

If you are working with weights your oats are great for a pre workout..slow carbs and will give you energy you need.

Post workout...a MUST if you are working with weights and trying to gain muscle..You MUST drink a post workout shake no more than 30 -40 min riight after. Fruit juice with Protein powder..I add BCAA and Glutamine.

Saw you on my FB page..Thanks!!

Chat soon!

Hi Claudia!

Thanks for the tip. I definitely need to find a protein powder I like. I'll grab a few samples when I go to Whole Foods tomorrow. What are your favorites?

Breakfast: Coffee with almond milk, one cup rolled oats with one cup blueberries

Snack: Apple

Lunch: One cup brown rice with 1/4 c black beans

Snack: Nine baby carrots

Dinner: Homemade pizza with a whole wheat crust, tomato, basil, olives, roadted red peppers and caramelized onions. No sauce and just a tiny sprinkling of FYH mozzarella.

Calories: 1,441

Fat: 34g (20.6%)

Carbohydrates: 262.4g (70.8%)

Fiber: 35.6g

Sugars: 69.1g

Protein: 31.9g (8.6%)

Definitely nowhere near enough protein. I usually have tofu or tempeh with lunch, but I was too lazy to cook. I won't make that mistake again. I'm going to try some protein powders next time I'm at Whole Foods.

Also did 3x30 bicycle crunches. It hurt so good. Tonight I'm going to my first yoga class in almost a year. I'm expecting soreness tomorrow. Good soreness. Yay!

Hi again...

I have a few Proteins I take. I like to mix it up : )

Raw Protein from Garden of life, Hemp from Manitoba Harvest and Vegetarian from InterActive Nutirion : )

I looked at you last food journal...a few suggestions

Snack: Apple - ADD some protein - Nut butter or eat some nuts/ dip in hemp seeds..

Snack: Nine baby carrots - add protein!! : ) Drink a proten shake

39grams is SO low..especially cause you want to add some beautiful muscle : )

Tak care

Just got home from my first yoga practice in almost a year. It was a 75 minute intermediate-level class and it kicked my butt. I hope I'm not too sore to run tomorrow.

I'm eating MUCH better today than I did yesterday. I'll post that in the morning.

Hi again...

I have a few Proteins I take. I like to mix it up : )

Raw Protein from Garden of life, Hemp from Manitoba Harvest and Vegetarian from InterActive Nutirion : )

I looked at you last food journal...a few suggestions

Snack: Apple - ADD some protein - Nut butter or eat some nuts/ dip in hemp seeds..

Snack: Nine baby carrots - add protein!! : ) Drink a proten shake

39grams is SO low..especially cause you want to add some beautiful muscle : )

Tak care

It's embarrassingly low! I promise I'll get some protein powder. I might even do that tonight so I can start tomorrow off right. Thanks for keeping an eye on me, Claudia!