Jessica M. Day one Starts January 2nd

As a team for Veg On The Run, we're doing a "Bodybuilding" challenge and figured this is a great way to start. What better way of starting a challenge than with people who know what they are doing!

I am 5'1, 143lbs. Definitely could stand to lose a few but running on its own has not done anything to help me get a svelte frame. I realized recently that maybe building muscle is what was missing. I'm hoping this will help me to also eat even cleaner than I have been eating. I recently did a cleanse that really had me focused on whole foods- grains, veggies, etc. I am eating better than ever but still need to change some things.

Looking forward to this challenge and helping our readers change their thinking/lives as well. Thanks Robert!

Ok! So it's day one though I already started yesterday by doing 15 minutes of Cardio and then 5 different exercises with at least 3 sets of 12 reps each. I feel good, ready to start my resolution!

This morning, I had oatmeal with some sunflower seeds and a little bit of stevia as well as regular coffee with almond milk and stevia. For my mid-morning snack I'll be having a Vega shake with a banana and Almond milk.

Tonight, my husband has free reign with me to help me exercise. I'm a bit scared but have given him 30 days to help me get results. I'm not expecting anything major but a some inches lost would be nice. I'm also looking forward to adding in some great cardio like spinning and kickboxing.

Here's to the start of something great!

Yesterday, I did amazing. We went spinning for 45 minutes and I ate perfectly- despite trying to down a sliver of whole grain bread at 9pm (my husband made me spit it out).

Today, it's back in the gym again for more weights- this time I think we're doing legs but I'm a little terrified because I'm so extremely sore I can barely walk. I don't know if I can do squats much less run for 20 minutes at 11 minute miles (i have short legs, don't hate).

Breakfast today was oatmeal and sunflower seeds with a bit of blueberries thrown in and a dash of stevia.

Snack- Vegan Luna Bar

Lunch- Amy's brown rice, veggies and tofu

Snack- Celery and Baba Ghanouj (or hummus, haven't decided) or a vega shake with banana

Dinner- Huge mongo salad with all the fixings- avocado, apple, onion, flax seeds, olives and olive oil/braggs amino's.

Yesterday was a complete disaster. I was so sore that I could barely exercise. I ran for 20 minutes just fine, I was actually proud of myself. That's when it got bad. I did some back leg lifts but when my husband tried to make me do lunges, I couldn't move and I got so frustrated that I got mad and walked out. I sound like a total drama queen but I really wanted to do it, I literally could not go down without screaming out in pain. I realize that not every day is going to be amazing but it's so hard sometimes.

I did eat just fine yesterday- the only thing that I ate that wasn't perfect is a 1/2 a tofurky italian sausage with my kale.

You win some, you lose some, going to rest today and back on the wagon tomorrow!

Yesterday was my rest day. I didn't realize how hard this weight training was going to be. After trying on clothes that I thought were supposed to fit me better and didn't, I was really disappointed. How can I be disappointed after only training for 4 days? This is why I give up on things so quickly, because I expect things to come so quickly and when I don't see changes, I move on to the next thing. I need to work on a goal and just see it through.

Thank goodness for this forum and our blog because they are helping me to keep focused. I really don't want to exercise tonight but I am going to.

Tonight we'll try the legs again, I'm not sore anymore so hopefully it will be a really positive experience.

Looking forward to seeing the changes!

Breakfast: Oatmeal with banana and blueberries and sunflower seeds

Snack: Luna Bar

Lunch: Vega Shake with banana (is it bad to eat so many bananas? maybe I'll get another fruit)

Snack: Veggies with Hummus

Dinner: my yummo kale saute

Running: 20-40 minutes

Legs and abs

• 2 weeks later...

Week 2

I'm back- I was out of town on business and so incredibly busy that I didn't have time to post!

Last week I worked out:

Tuesday- Ran 25 minutes and did arms

Wednesday- Ran 25 minutes and did legs

Sunday- ran 30 minutes and did legs- leg curls, lunges, squats and two different abdominals.

I was at a conference and they actually had amazing food there- quinoa, salads, veggies, etc. but I did eat bread and drank more alcohol than I should have. Week 3 is a new week!

Week 3:

Today, Tuesday, workout 30 minutes running and arms. Ate for breakfast- oatmeal and banana and coconut milk in my coffee. (Love milk alternatives- so happy I finally stocked up again!).

Drinking 16 oz of water right now and my plan is to have at least 4 of them.

I'm soooo tired this morning. Last night's gym was a little lazy. I did the work but didn't give it my all. Instead of running hard for 30 minutes, I did 5 minutes on the elliptical, then my weights: arms last night and tummy. Back on the treadmill for 10 minutes but I have to be honest, I walked. Then another 10 minutes on the elliptical. I think I'm a little bored-

However, TONIGHT is boxing!! Woot Woot- I'm super excited because boxing is one of those things that make you feel like you're powerful (or make you realize how weak you are haha).

I am going to try a few different boxing classes to see which one I like. It depends on the teacher, the class, the cost (of course) but I think I would be willing to pay well if it's a great class.

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Well the boxing was amazing! Yes, going to a boxing gym- it's a great place to go because they care about you, don't make you feel embarrassed for doing it wrong and really want to see you succeed.

So, yesterday i ate very weird.

Breakfast was normal- banana and oatmeal then some seaweed snacks. Lunch was a huge salad with garbanzo beans and veggies with some mediterranean dressing.

Afternoon snack was two funky monkey dried fruit (80 calories between the two).

Dinner after Boxing (AMAZING CLASS- Kicked my butt but it wasn't tooo overwhelming) was a Vega Shake with a banana and almond milk.

Scale is finally going back down. Last week I was at 144-145 and today I'm at 143 (with more muscle I'm sure).

Today is a really good day.

Tonight- I am in the gym with the hubby hoping he makes me run and nothing else but I don't think I'm that lucky

You should check it out! Most of them offer one or two classes for free-

So, yesterday I ate really well- I think I may have gone over my calorie goal by 50 or so but I'm not sweating it as the day before I was under.

For breakfast yesterday, I had again, oatmeal and a tbsp of blackstrap molasses.

Snack: Seaweed snacks

Lunch: Quinoa and Mung Beans

Snack: Starfruit and some peanuts

Snack: 1/2 a Odwalla greens

Dinner: Kale and 1/2 a tofurky sausage with some sesame seeds and onions and olive oil.

Gym:

(Can I let it be known that I can't stand it when young teenagers are in the gym at my apt? They are forbidden from being there because they aren't there to work out- they are there to play).

I need to learn to be more open to the young people- if we aren't open to them to teach them, who will? My husband is so amazing, instead of getting angry, he talks to them, invites them to work out with him.

Anyway, back on track:

30 minutes of treadmill at 5.0-6.0. It was a good run, I just wish I was more entertained.

Back Leg raises, sit ups, lunges, back arms and arms curls (I'm not even sure of the name, I'm just guessing) all 5 sets of 12.

Last night after the gym, I felt like i had been abused but I actually don't feel too terrible today. Tomorrow might be another story.

The best part? My jeans fit perfectly this morning!

Well, I've had an interesting weekend. Friday I overate by about 400 calories because i was craving some Gardein Chikin nuggets. They are amazing. So on Saturday I had to readjust my calories. I didn't work out on Friday and Saturday so Sunday's workout felt like alot of work.

Sunday's Workout:

20 minutes of treadmill at about 5.0 and 10 minutes on elliptical

3 different arm exercises

two sets of squats

sit ups

Today is a day off but I think I might try to do something small- maybe play on the Wii or whatever to remain active.

On a good note, I'm feeling much stronger.

I have been sick for the past three days. It started on Monday with me sneezing (thought it was just horrible allergies) and then yesterday was supposed to be my workout day but I literally laid in bed all day long. I am back at work today but feeling crappy.

So today is day 3 of no workouts because of being sick. I was thinking that maybe i'll go for a walk so that I can at least get some fresh air.

Yesterday I think I ate two bananas, a lot of bean soup, and some oatmeal and a luna bar.

Thanks for the wishes!

I'm feeling better today but don't think I'm going to attempt a really hefty workout. I am going back to the gym so I don't get soft.

For breakfast - I went non-vegan today and had the starbucks egg and spinach wrap - Every once in a while I do have eggs. Also, drank 1/2 a tall soy latte.

Lunch- had an amazing salad roll and brown veggie roll.

Pre-workout snack: Vega Whole food shake (1 scoop) no banana

Dinner- kale?

Well, last night I made a Kenyan dish that I found online. It wasn't the best dinner I've made but it did look nice. Corn Meal "mush" and veggies. It was different but my husband ate it anyway, love him for that.

I'm feeling very tired today, this cold is kicking my butt. I thought I was getting better and then this morning I just feel drained and ready to sleep (stuffy, coughing etc.). I think I was having a really good dream this morning before I had to get up, I hate that.

Anyway, today- going to try to walk tonight- my "trainer" has given me till Sunday to recoup which is amazing because he's usually like a drill sergeant. I'm just looking forward to being 100% again and getting moving, being sick makes you feel sooo lazy.