Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rippedveg's Training Journal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:02 pm 
Rabbit

So I clearly cannot make five entries this week because today already is January 5. Too bad for me--no chance to win prizes.

But I have the awesome ability for feedback and accountability, which are essential in fitness.

My training for the next few weeks will be different than is typical for body building but I also haven't signed on to be a real body builder and I'm not vegan--just vegetarian. As an adult, I haven't eaten a lot of dairy and eggs but in the last couple years, I've hit the eggs and honey pretty hard. Also I make my own full fat plain yogurt. Disclosures made!

My workouts are changing because I'm joining a challenge at my gym, mainly because the trainer seems pretty amazing. I welcome the chance to work with him and at five small group sessions a week for 8 weeks, I'm essentially paying $12 per session. He focuses on a lot of agility and functional training. My plan is to do my heavier lifting on days when we have only 30 minute sessions. Some sessions are 30, some are 60, some are 90 minutes.

Also in the full interest of disclosure, I am a cycle instructor. So until the end of February, Wednesday will feature an indoor cycle class at a bike shop. For the foreseeable future, my Monday will be one indoor cycle class and one hour-long work-out with the program above. I currently do a 45-minute body weight (crossfit influenced) class on Monday in addition to teaching my cycle class. Sunday will be recovery day.

I know this is a heavy schedule but I also know that professional bodybuilders work out even more.

Last edited by Rippedveg on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Litarider's Training Journal
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:43 pm 
Rabbit

Having reviewed the rules for the contest, I can make amends for lost posts.

The American bulldog at my side would like me to make amends for his healing TPLO.

Also I see I named my training journal after my twitter account (which is named after my bicycle). I'll have to see if I can change it to my handle on this forum.

I need to go to the gym soon today. I'm sticking to my desk chair a little today. Partially because I haven't committed to what I'm doing at the gym today. My shoulder was a little twingy yesterday and I've already done legs once this week. So I have to decide what I want and what I'm doing.

This week's workouts:
Monday--legs
Tuesday--arms
Wednesday--taught cycle

I could go for a walk outside because I am a huge believer in "outdoor therapy" and natural settings (indeed, I am not a gym person, although I am an instructor). There is a meeting at 5:30 for the small group training program that I'm joining. The program starts Saturday. Because I don't know what that work out will be, I'm being indecisive about my workout today and tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Rippedveg's Training Journal
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:41 pm 
Rabbit

I kept today's workout fairly light.

5 mins. walking warm up.
20 mins. intervals--slow interval at 6 mph, fast interval at 7.5 min.
45 minutes with TRX Rip Trainer. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

The new 8-week program starts tomorrow at the gym. The first session includes a weigh-in, measurements, and pics so I'll be sure to post some data here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:43 pm 
Rabbit

Homemade soup.

I started this yesterday. Actually, I roasted the butternut squash a few days ago.

I combined in my slow cooker: 1 roasted butternut squash, one medium head of cauliflower, two broccoli trunks, 1 golden beet, garlic and herbs to taste. Turned it on and it's been cooking while all ingredients soften for about 27 hours now. I ate some for lunch. I'll add some protein and enjoy it for dinner too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:38 am 
Rabbit

I'm just learning the TRX Rip Trainer (I have a certification for the regular TRX). So tonight I worked through the booklet, which entailed:

Straight arm squat: 20 with Rip Trainer Right, 20 Left + a handful with overhead press
Chest press: 20
Row: 20
Straight arm turn: 20
Hockey Slap Shot: 20
Axe Chop: 12/side (was awkward and I needed to figure it out)
Punch: 20
Squat Row: 20/side
Straight Arm Lunge: 20/side
Horizontal Row: 20
Chest Press: 20
OH Tri Extension: A few--didn't like it!
OH Press--12
Upright Row--12
Bicep Curl--a few

Also tried a few inverted butterfly leaps for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:57 pm 
Rabbit

The Jeans Challenge started today. We attended an hour-long nutrition seminar, some of which I found useful and interesting but...I have a huge problem with people recommending nutritional programs to anyone. Even MDs get this wrong and do damage to people. Nutrition science is only about 100 years old so there is too little real, proven knowledge and to many people willing to tell others what to do. Part-way through the seminar, I realized that we were hearing this practitioner's blend of paleo, gluten-free, organic, soy-free, etc. diet. All the stuff that's popular now was rolled into this diet.

I always find it interesting that so many fitness nutrition seminars nod at vegetarianism, in that they mention the word but when you review their protein choices, they have no vegetarians recommendations, especially if they tell you not to eat soy. Needless to say, there was no acknowledgment of vegans. Really, it displays how little these "experts" know about vegans and vegetarians.

We only had about 30 minutes to work out so we switched between stair climbers and treadmills.

Between the workout and the seminar, we weighed in, got a body fat analysis (but not hydrostatic), took a photo, and measured hips and stomachs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:27 pm 
Rabbit

Good morning. I just made an awesome breakfast: gluten-free, vegan waffles! The batter was very thick, which made the waffles cook slowly and made them chewy. Next time I'll add a quarter cup water to thin them out a little. If anyone reads this who excels at cooking, please give me feedback. It's not my own recipe.

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup cashews (I had pecans on hand so I substituted them)
1 pinch salt
1 Tablespoon oil
1 cup water.

First, oil and warm the waffle irons.

Grind oats and nuts together in food processor. Take care not to over grind into a buttery consistency. Keep it flour-like. Add salt, oil, water and blend thoroughly. Spoon batter on to the center of the waffle iron.

I have an (&^%!) electric stove and cast iron waffle irons. I set my stove top burners to 5/10. These waffles took several minutes per side to cook.

I'll make them again but will thin the batter.

In the fitness department, Sunday is my recovery day so the most that will happen is a walk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:07 pm 
Rabbit

Today's exercise: 1 hour-long hike in Claremont Canyon Regional Preserve http://www.ebparks.org/parks/claremont using the Stonewall Fire Trail and Panoramic Ridge. From the top, you can see Oakland, Berkeley, San Francisco, the Bay, Golden Gate Bridge, Marin, and more.

Lots of glute, hamstring, quad, and calf work!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 pm 
Rabbit

Week Two, Monday.

I always start Monday with some cream of wheat, sauteed greens (usually Swiss Chard), and others. I need carb calories on Monday because I teach indoor cycle mid-day and I do a work out later.

Today is the first real workout for the Jean challenge at the gym. I'll do my best to remember what we do and then post it here.

So happy that I'm not sick today. I went to bed a little nauseous and a half hour early. Fortunately whatever was making me sick disappeared in the night and I'm well now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 pm 
Rabbit

Yesterday's first workout with the jeans challenge.

We opened with some foam rolling, followed by shoulder and chest stretches. Then we did a series of dynamic warm-up exercises. From there we had 3 stations: TRX row, chest press on stability ball, step up with weights. 40 second rounds with 20 second transition between stations. We did 4 sets.

Post subject: Re: Rippedveg's Training Journal: 12 Days of Vegan...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 am 
Rabbit

Yesterday's workout:

30 minutes:

Jumping jacks
Squats
Half burpee: Squat down to touch bench, step back to plank, jump up to squat, stand
Plank with hip touch--no hip rotation
Walking Lunges
High knees

Also in honor of the 12 Days of Vegan challenge, I've given up eggs for breakfast. My lovely, local, free range eggs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:40 am 
Rabbit

Some measurements from last Saturday, when the jeans challenge started.

This was not a gas measure process but rather a scale that sent an electrical pulse through your body. Not even the gold standard hydrostatic measure (which I hope to get soon). It was a rather serious scale!

I am 5 feet 8.5 inches tall and weigh 135. My BMI is 20.2%. Allegedly my basal metabolic rate is 1373. My fat percentage is 23.9. My total body water percentage was 75.21.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:52 pm 
Rabbit

Surely I will be in for a world of hurt by the time the challenge ends. When I walked in today, Dustin asked if I was in pain today. I am not. I had a little burn in my hamstrings last night and in my triceps in the early hours. But I also did my dead lifts after last night's session. I committed to the dead lifts and I am not leaving them for eight weeks.

Last night's work out:

Single leg lifts
Squat rows
Push-ups with rotation
Kettlebell curl and press

On Wednesday I agreed to ride Cinderella Classic (65/95-mile recreational bicycle ride--not a race) with my friend, Jane. While I was at it, I committed to doing the Diablo Challenge (11.2 mile bicycle road ride, elevation gain 3,249 feet) this year. And, please don't tell my husband, but I think I might do the 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge this summer. So between my hamstring program and my upper body program and my plan to learn pull-ups, I think I'm set for the year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:04 pm 
Rabbit

Yesterday our small group trainer asked how my pull-ups are going. We've now down some form of hanging upper body work for two days. I guess Dustin read my PARQ.

Today's workout was 90 minutes. I am not sure I'll get it all listed here and I'll probably do that tomorrow because tomorrow is our rest day.

At the minute I have little tofu pies in the oven for brunch tomorrow. Tomorrow probably will be my dietary cheat day as well. Husband says I've never made him a tofu pie. I cut the sugar in half and I added a little unsweetened cocoa powder to mask the beany taste of the tofu base. I also made 6 small pies that that eating one single pie isn't too bad.

Yesterday's workout:
Ice skaters
Rowing machine
Hanging leg lifts (one of my favorites).
Wood chop
Toss medicine ball against the wall, catch, squat, repeat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 am 
Rabbit

Saturday's Workout:

Agility:
side shuffles
sprints
lunges
ladders
back lunges