Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Heavygan: Eat Plates To Move Plates
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:51 am 
Elephant

Oh ok that makes sense. But it is a lot of info. Im glad im hiring a coach lol.

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:10 am 
Gorilla

jungleinthefrunk wrote:
WOw you can fly a 30lb dumbbell on each side? thats insane.... seriously can you take some video?

I'll try and take one on my iPhone next week. I'm actually thinking about adding video-logs either on here or on my tumblr. I just have to figure out how I can edit them on my computer so that there's not a bunch of filler at the beginning and end. (I actually shot video of my 145 squat and last deadlift PR).

And PHAT seems like it's hard to follow at first but after the first two weeks, it becomes second-nature. A painful second-nature, of course. Ha.

Nicholas - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jucy_Lucy but vegan-ized. And thanks, as always, for the support, mate! I might throw the pictures up of my arms. Lighting is terrible in them but they're better than nothing.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:07 pm 
Elephant

You can trim the videos using youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/doctorvannostrand100

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:43 pm 
Gorilla

jungleinthefrunk wrote:
You can trim the videos using youtube

Technology never ceases to amaze me.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 pm 
Elephant

You don't need anything fancy for videos. I normally use adobe premiere but if it's something simple it can just be thrown in Windows Live Movie Maker. Get some video's uploaded ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:34 pm 
Gorilla

Alright. New goal this week: good quality videos of my squat and deadlift. The ones I have right now don't give a good perspective on my form and I'd really like some people to check that out to make sure I'm doing it right, especially since I try and give out advice myself. Don't want to be a part of the problem, ha.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:55 pm 
Gorilla

BIG UPDATE
Lower-body Power Day

So, in case some of you don't know, since I graduated college in May, I’ve tried to embrace my PMA (Positive Mental Attitude, for those of you who aren't Bad Brains fans). Up until recently, I feel like I’ve done an okay job with that – always trying to look on the brightside, always trying to turn the negative things in my life into positives.

“Oh, I earned my bachelor’s degree in Cultural and Social Studies but I’m working as a cashier at a place that doesn’t completely align with my morals and ethics? Yeah, but at least I have a job in this economy and one that pays above minimum wage.”

“Oh, I’ve put some things, i.e. my dreams, on the back burner even though I don’t believe in compromise? Yeah, but I’m only doing it temporarily to gain ground financially.”

Well, today was the boiling point. Not that I had an all-out anti-posi binge, though not only am I not sure what that would look like but I’m also slightly mystified (and disgusted) that I just typed that out. Anyway, what it comes down to is something seemingly meaningless that transpired at work lit the powder keg that has, apparently, been lurking within me for the past few weeks. Of course, I kept the combustion inside but, apparently, it was attached to the cogs in my brain so now they're turning like crazy. All mixed metaphors aside, what I'm trying to say is it’s time that I really start thinking about what I want to do with my life and how I’m going to go about doing it.

And what does that have to do with this log? See, there are three things in life that I thoroughly enjoy that force me to work hard: lifting, writing, and social justice. Other than the first thing, though, I haven’t really “had” time for the other two since working as, what little energy isn’t zapped by my job, I put toward hitting the Iron. And I have nobody to blame but myself.

So, no more excuses. No more “tomorrow.” It starts right now. I’ve had a stack of personal training study books sitting in my apartment since before Christmas and I’ve been “slowly” making my way through them. I have 200 poems (yes, I write poetry) just sitting in a box that I’ve been “slowly” editing and putting into a chapbook. I’ve been “slowly” compiling ideas for blog articles, recipes, and product reviews to be put online. I have been "slowly" considering submitting things not only to VBB.com but other places online to get published. I've also "slowly" been looking into powerlifting meets toward the end of this year to get my feet wet.

Life doesn’t move slowly. It just moves. And I should, too. Come at me, life, I'm about to hit you head on. If you read my Vegan Atlas blog, expect more frequent updates including videologging and shorter articles. Hopefully some interviews, too. I'll probably be doing a standard copy-and-past from Heavygan onto here, though, and just be extremely detailed in each individual post but will still, obviously, talk to everyone on here and seek out advice/form checks.

Also, I PR'd on squats, deads, and leg press today. However, see the notes/video about my deadlift.

Playlist
Kill A Celebrity – Ramallah
We’re Down Till We’re Underground – Give Up the Ghost
Witness – Modern Life Is War

Work out
Barbell Squat

5x95
5x115
5x135
2x5x145
4x150
Notes: I refuse to count the last rep the set of 150 because I couldn’t hit parallel. I tried to shoot a video of these but it ended up being obscured by a gentleman doing some lifts next to the rack. Next time I’ll get it. The video and the reps, that is.

Barbell Deadlift
[/i]
5x115
5x135
5x140
5x145
3x150
Notes: Using the 45s makes my life so much easier than the smaller plates. I can’t wait until my first set can just be 135 so I don’t have to deal with using the 25s. I’m not necessarily proud of the 150 because my form looks atrocious (see the video in the post after this one) but it’s something to improve on most definitely.

Incline Leg Press

5x200
5x230
5x250
5x270
5x280
Notes: In my paper journal I wrote down 300 as my goal for my last set and I’m disappointed I didn’t get it. I even loaded the plates but after one measly half-rep, I knew it wasn’t going to happen today.

Seated Calf Raise

3x5x160
Notes: I did 10 second holds on the last set. The burn felt great.

Dumbbell Lunges

5x30
5x35
Notes: I should be going heavier with these. Which I will be doing on hypertrophy day, no questions asked.

Seated Leg Curl

5x100
3x110
2x100
5x110
5x100
Notes: These were a struggle, yet again, and I think it’s because they’re the last exercise on power day. I rested longer between the last three sets, though, and I think that’s why I was able to hit the 5 reps. I might try and hit these before lunges and calf raises next time just to see if I can hit 110x12.

Also, does anybody want an invite to Fitocracy? I still have a handful left and even though it's another place to "log," there are some fun aspects to it what with the point system and leaderboards. Plus, some of the "quests" and "achievements" are good little ideas to keep things fun.

Macros/food n00dz: TBD. But here's one of the pictures I was talking about regarding my traps/shoulders.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00 pm 
Gorilla

Nice work, the delts are definately getting rounder and I can see some separation in between the front and side delts!

Traps appear to be getting longer as well.

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold

My Training Journal:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 am 
Elephant

You're doing great with the lifting and diet.
Keep up the positivity. You'll get another gig, if you apply your self toward that. There are much worse places to work than WF!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 am 
Gorilla

Nicholas - Thank you! It's nice when someone else can see the changes. Makes it feel more real and less imaginary. Ha.

John - I think my problem is that I'm a cashier - Whole Foods is much better than most places. I just went from being really active in social justice and things like that to ... just ringing up items. However, some things are turning around so I feel a bit better about it. Thank you for the kind words, I sincerely appreciate it. And you should really come say hi the next time you stop by the store!

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:28 am 
Gorilla

Everything’s coming up Milhouse. Lucky for me, Milhouse is my alter-ego. Or my actual ego. Anyway. A few work-related opportunities have come to my attention that would be advantageous to me so I’m going to seize those; I’ve got some ideas I’m pretty stoked on regarding my writing and moving forward with personal training; I think I’ve finally gotten a lock-down on 2,000 calories a day, i.e. I’ve come to terms with the fact that, yes, I am going to start slowly putting on weight.

Strong goal chasing is going strong. I intend to keep it that way. I’m also going to keep this entry short and sweet since I have to be up for work in less than eight hours and I already have a hard enough time sleeping big as it is. I’ll probably write something fairly long-winded tomorrow, though, since it’s a “rest(less) day” and I need to do something with my evening.

Quote: “I want to be that which overcomes itself.” - Henry Rollins

Work Out

Barbell Bent Over Row
5x65
5x75
5x85
3x5x90 (Five pound increase across the board)
Notes: Much more controlled than usual. Form has definitely improved on these and I could have pushed it to 95 but I want to keep the lift controlled.

Barbell Bench Press

5x55
5x65
5x70 (Three rep increase)
3x75 (One rep increase)
2x2x75 (Set increases)
Notes: I think if I had a spotter, I would have felt much more confident on the third to last set and probably could have pushed out those last two reps. However, I played it safe and went for more sets with less reps. Not sure how I feel about this but I don’t want to get pinned beneath the bar. Will just keep working on at it since every week I feel stronger on the bench.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press

5x45
4x50 (One rep increase)
3x50
4x50 (One rep increase)
5x45
3x45
Notes: Finally have noticed progress on this lift, even if the numbers are low – the lift is more explosive, for one, which is something I’ve had a hard time with. I know this is my weakest lift and I will be damned if I don’t get to 0.5xBWx1 within the next few weeks.

Tricep Pushdowns with Rope Attachment

5x30
5x40
5x50
3x5x60 (Set increases)
5x70 (Ten pound increase)
3x70
Notes: I love these. I go into serious Beast Mode on them and it feels awesome.

Long Pulls (Cable attachment)

5x70
5x80
5x80
5x90 (10 pound increase)
4x90 (Set increase)
5x80
5x80
Notes: I also love these. I didn’t think I’d be able to bang them out but I had a serious buzz going on from the pushdowns.

Seated Shoulder Cable Press (Machine)

5x25
2x5x30 (10 pound/set increase)
Notes: Still not sure how affective these are. Should have went with dumbbells.

Cable Chest Press (Machine)

5x30
5x40
2x50
3x40
3x50
Notes: After going through these I’ve decided I should be doing push-ups even though I hate them.

[i]Pulldowns
[/i]
5x40
5x50
5x60
5x70 (Ten pound weight increase)
3x80 (Twenty pound weight increase)
Notes: Will be using these to switch things up occasionally.

Macros: 45/195/200: 1985 calories

Notes: After the Field Roast sausages are gone, I’m completely cutting out seitan/gluten-based products. Not only does gluten tear my stomach up, but there is far too much sodium in store-bought seitan for my liking, especially since I’m using Vega until my TrueProtein comes in and there’s a boatload of sodium in that as well. This is not ideal because it makes me feel pretty awful all-around. I also had dinner on the run (i.e. microwaved/sodium-laden) because I got off work at 7:00 p.m., ran over to the gym to lift for an hour and a half, only to have to clock back into a meeting at 9:00 p.m. for work.

Check out MyFitnessPal for specifics (the variance comes from not being able to measure everything and only guestimating on some of the things).

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:18 am 
Elephant

vegansludge wrote:
John - I think my problem is that I'm a cashier - Whole Foods is much better than most places. I just went from being really active in social justice and things like that to ... just ringing up items. However, some things are turning around so I feel a bit better about it. Thank you for the kind words, I sincerely appreciate it. And you should really come say hi the next time you stop by the store!
I looked for you last time and will catch you there sooner than later. I know Jen from AR stuff and Cliff from KSU in the 70s! He and I were marching and leafletting type activists back then. Your log is inspiring. Thanks for writing. Have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:25 pm 
Gorilla

01.11.12 Rest(less) Day

As far as rest days go, I actually took it easy Wednesday despite feeling pretty uneasy. Knowing I won’t be hitting the gym tends to leave me with this feeling of “well, now what?” especially when my shift ends in the afternoon instead of the evening. Good thing about clocking out at 5:00 p.m. that day was that my lady had graciously reserved me a seat for a documentary screening at her work that night.

Even though it was pouring rain, we took the train to Tower City and walked to the Rock Hall from there. (Yes, my lady’s graduate studies work-study is acting as a research assistant at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; yes, she is far too cool and intelligent for me but don’t tell her that) Overall, I’d say we walked for a total of 35 minutes there-and-back and, since it was raining, we maintained a pretty brisk pace. I’m going to call it my “cardio” for the week and be satisfied with that decision.

During the walk, though, I had time to think semi-poetic thoughts about Cleveland, my life, and other miscellaneous things that I won’t bother sharing right now but will allow me to say this: I know exactly how I’m going to go about pursuing my writing goals from here on out. I have a lot of work to do, though, so it will be a little while before I can make any concrete “announcements.”

So, while the documentary itself was relatively lackluster, I had a pretty solid rest day. I’d also like to note that I find it funny some people talk about how on days they don’t hit the gym, they find themselves having a harder time sticking with their nutrition. I’m the exact opposite. On days when I’m more sedentary, I find it difficult to actually hit any numbers other than my protein intake because my appetite isn’t as abrasive. Lucky for me this meant fitting a massive hummus and veggie wrap and sweet potato fries into my macros after the screening. Winning.

Macros: 35/140/190

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:28 pm 
Gorilla

01.12.12 Work Day
Lower-Body Hypertrophy

I can summarize yesterday with 10 bullet points.

Sleeping big is awesome and it makes you appreciate how effortless waking up early can sometimes be.
    Some days I have a hard time eating carbohydrates, some days I don’t. Yesterday I clearly didn’t.
    I didn’t because I wanted to go big on this hypertrophy day in case I couldn’t hit the gym again until Saturday since I have other social plans.
    Finding a balance between my “social” life and my “gym” life is becoming much easier even as my goals become clearer.
    I destroyed my legs yesterday to the point where I had to sit in my car for 15 after working out to gear myself up for pushing the gas and break pedals.
    I found out they made a fucking movie about Battleship? And Rihanna is in it?
    I finally saw the Dark Knight Rises trailer. I had a geek-gasm.
    I saw Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. It was not as good as the first one, save your money.
    Love is coming home to home-made pierogis and my girlfriend saying, “I made ones with lentils and TVP because I knew you’d be more likely to eat them.” Because she knows protein > everything.
    You know you’re doing it right when walking down stairs becomes difficult.

Work out

Barbell Squat
5x95
6x3x115 (Speed work)
Notes: I read somewhere online that to improve squat explosiveness some guys think about hip drive as being the equivalent of “fucking something really hard.” This is what I kept in mind through-out today’s speed session and, therefore, I increased depth and speed.

Front Barbell Squat

8x80
5x85
5x90
5x95
Notes: I’m considering following a 5x5 for these on hypertrophy days but I don’t want to wear myself out on my other lifts or overtrain squats so we shall see. However, these are shaping up rather nicely.

Stiff-Legged Deadlifts

10x85
10x95
10x105
Notes: I don’t know why I neglected these for some long. Awesome burn today.

Seated Calf Raises

10x160
10x165
Notes: I was going to go to 170 but, instead, decided to do 3-5 second holds for each rep. My calves are going to hate me for days but I’m going to love my calves forever.

Incline Leg Press

5x200
2x6x250 (Rep increase)
230x8 (Rep increases)
180x10 (Rep increases)
Notes: I am chasing down 300 on power days so I figured it was time to go ass to ankles for as many reps as possible. Doing these after speed squats, front squats, and stiff-legged is always brutal but today was intense. I think I scared the girl directly across the gym from me who was doing a kettleball routine.

Seated Leg Curl

10x80
10x90
Notes: These are such a draining way to end my routine and I love it.

Macros: 20/160/250

These are an estimation as I didn’t make the pierogis. However, I know my fat is the right number and I left it that low because, well, I wanted all teh carbz. Come at me.

IRON MNTN // LOG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:38 pm 
Elephant

vegansludge wrote:
pierogis
pierogis prove the existence of God/dess
(missed you@ WF again)
Awesome lifting effort and log!

Last edited by John V on Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 29  Next