Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Call it a comeback! RC is Back!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:51 am 
Manatee

Ahh, well good luck

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 am 
Site Admin

Thanks guys. I'm spending about 30 minutes to warm up before I even touch weights each day, to make sure I'm totally prepared and ready to go. Working on my comeback. It feels pretty good and some lifts feel pretty strong. Now I just need to incorporate some massage therapy, get more rest in general and keep the food intake up.

Onward. Bedtime.

Peace.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

1/8/12

I trained with one of my best friends in the world today, my friend Jordan whom I've known since pre-school and whom also introduced me to the sport of bodybuilding in the late 90's. I was up in Portland, OR attending the Grand Opening of a Vegan Fitness studio and hung out for an extra day to catch a workout with Jordan.

Again, I was up until after 3AM which is now becoming somewhat of problem. I've been up until 3AM or later 14 of the past 15 days, and I know I need more rest and I want to start my days earlier and in general, I'd like to get back to a proper sleeping schedule. Perhaps that starts tonight, as I'm quite tired already, before 9PM.

Getting right to it, here is how the workout went:

Warm-up - Stair stepper for 20 minutes watching the Broncos game off in the distance while I waited for Jordan to arrive. He arrived and I started stretching while he finished his warm-up.

Bodyweight Squats

Deadlifts (Jordan watched my form and gave me a bunch of pointers, as this is an exercise I haven't done much over the past few years, due to past injuries and low back soreness)
95lbs x 15
95lbs x 12
115lbs x 12
115lbs x 10
135lbs x 8

I know I didn't lift very much weight, but I did slow reps with a lot more bending at my knees.

Bent-over Rows
115lbs x 10
115lbs x 10
115lbs x 10
115lbs x 12
115lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
155lbs x 6

Hanging Leg Raises

I've had a lot of back soreness due to the way I sit for 12 hours a day at the computer and as a result of the squats, deadlifts and other exercises I've been doing which tax the lower back. So, today I took advantage of the gym I was at which had a steamroom, sauna and hot tub. I used all 3. In my current location, I don't have any of those at my gym, but as soon as I get to 24 Hour Fitness again as I hit the road in 2 weeks and once I settle in Austin shortly after that, I'll have access to all of those heat treatments again.

I hope you all had an awesome weekend! Time for a little more food, a contest winner to announce and sleep to catch up on. I still have 20-30 orders to ship out tomorrow/asap.

Night!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 pm 
Gorilla

Yay Broncos!!!!! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:06 am 
Rabbit

Glad you are well, I hope that the contest went well. Good luck with the rebuilding of the back. My favorite quote is go slower, arrive sooner, I am back at the gym for the first time since I pinched a nerve, and it is so tempting to grab the weights that I was lifting before I got injured.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 am 
Site Admin

Karen, the Broncos are fun to watch. I have to give them that! And their "leader" is so driven to succeed. I admire that about him quite a bit.

Steve, that is a great quote! Thanks!

I didn't intend to list the weights I use in my exercises since this return to training could also be called "rehab" as I rehabilitate myself after multiple injuries. But it was requested that I list weights, so I am. I know it confuses people and they wonder why I'm only lifting fairly light amounts based on what would be expected, but that's what I've got right now. I still work very hard in the gym. I just don't have the size and strength I once had.

Working my way back! Call it a comeback. RC is back and crushing it, day by day, getting closer to where I'm headed. Having fun too!

Hope all is great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:02 am 
Rabbit

You have no doubt explored this, but have you seen an osteopath recently about your back? I find they are truely amazing, and might be able to help you with your sitting posture?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks. I'm going to be exploring a variety of treatments soon, to keep me going injury-free while dealing with current soreness.

1/9/12

Today I shipped out a ton of orders and still have some prizes to ship out but I'm working on it day and night. I'm staying real busy these days! After I went to the post office, I went to the gym.

Today's workout:

Warm-up - 15 minutes on the stair stepper

Bodyweight squats

Standing Barbell Overhead Press
45lbs x 20
45lbs x 20
65lbs x 15
75lbs x 10
85lbs x 6
85lbs x 6

Dumbbell Shrugs
80's (160lbs) x 20
90's (180lbs) x 12
100's (200lbs) x 12
105's (210lbs) x 12
105's (210lbs) x 12
105's (210lbs) x 12

Pull-ups
Wide-grip
Narrow-grip

Hyperextensions for lower back

For the most part, these lifts were all heavier or in the case of pull-ups, more reps, than the same workout I had last week.

I had Vega pre-workout energy drink before and during the workout, Vega Protein after the workout and then a bunch of high calorie foods.

Right now I'm still hammering away at my super high calorie dinner of organic whole wheat pasta, Daiya vegan cheese, refried beans, olives, Ezekiel bread and organic greens.

Back to work. I have a lot of stuff to do, including posting a new contest with new prizes, preparing a bunch of packages to ship and the usual online work.

Have a great night!

Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day and I'll be out of town as well.

RC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:51 am 
Site Admin

1/11/12

Wow! There were about 150 journals updated between my last post just a little more than 24 hours ago, and this one, including hundreds of total posts!

You're all awesome! Loving the dedication!

I had a pretty epic day of training in this journey to make a comeback. I'll get right to it.

I went to a large 24 Hour Fitness gym in Portland and saw some forum members there, totally randomly. For my workout during the mid-day I spent 30 minutes on the stair stepper and then spent 30 minutes combined in the steamroom, sauna and hot tub. I'm focusing a lot on heat treatments and helping my back out these days. The stair stepper also helps my heart, lungs and brings out some nice leg definition too.

For my second workout I went over to Plant Fit Vegan Fitness studio owned and operated by Champion Vegan Bodybuilder Ed Bauer. I had about 5 forum members there and we had a great workout made up of compound lifts.

Warm-up

Rowing machine for 15 minutes

Bodyweight squats, lunges and other warm-up kicks and and stretches.

Deadlifts

Most recently I've only lifted up to 173lbs for 3 reps and last week only 135lbs for reps. I'm easing my way back into this exercise. With a bunch of our forum members and long-time vegan bodybuilding friends there, I took it up a notch.

Warm-up sets of Deadlifts
95lbs x 15
95lbs x 15
95lbs x 15

Working sets for Deadlifts
135lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
155lbs x 10
185lbs x 10
205lbs x 4
235lbs x 1
I felt like I could have done more reps but I didn't want to push my back too hard after so many reps and a great increase in weight compared to other lifts. I attempted 1 more set at 185lbs but after 1 rep decided to stop there and move on.

My best ever is 337lbs for 5 reps for deadlifts, so 235lbs after a matter of weeks returning to lifting felt pretty good. No back issues either, aside from must general fatigue from so many reps and sets.

Hang Cleans (no squat or pretty, just cleans)
95lbs x 8
95lbs x 8
95lbs x 10
95lbs x 8
95lbs x 10

Some of the other guys pulled 380lbs in deadlifts and did heavy front squats as well. I was the weakling of the group and the entire group became friends years ago through my website from my initial leadership. It's actually not only very humbling but in a way, very pleasing to me to become the student after so many years of leading the way. I'm so happy to see some of my friends I met through Vegan Bodybuilding go on to do great things, build great physiques, great strength, compete in various sports and carry the torch, spreading the word.

Awesome day of training today!

Back to work now. Getting up earlier than usual tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:02 pm 
Rabbit

go dudes go!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:47 am 
Site Admin

1/12/12

Today was a rest day. I was only on 4-5 hours of sleep and had a busy and somewhat stressful day so I took the day off. I didn't have soreness from yesterday's tough deadlift session at all. I feel really good, just sleepy. Which is why I'm not sure why I'm still up at 1AM. I just don't like to go to sleep. I enjoy it when it happens, I just don't like taking the time to fall asleep. I just wish I could work until passing out and wake up and start working again. But there's the whole winding down part, lying there, trying to fall asleep.

Well, I should get to it.

Back in the gym tomorrow.

RC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:20 am 
Rabbit

Super happy for you and for Ed in Portland. I know that you are making great strides in your training. I look forward to seeing you at fests this year, do you know which ones you will be going to?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:32 am 
Site Admin

1/13/12

Thanks Steve! I honestly don't know which ones I'll be at. I'm slowing down to focus on writing, training, and not traveling as much. I think I'll be at the Seattle VegFest in March, Austin VegFest in March, possibly the Chicago VegFest, possibly Chicago Vegan Mania, likely Portland and Toronto and maybe another one. Last year I hit up about 10-12 VegFests, so this year is about half of that and maybe even far less. We'll see. I'm hoping VeganProteins.com will hit the road in my absence representing both Vega and Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness brands under their own umbrella. Hope that works out.

Today I had another epic day of shipping and in my own little comeback to lifting, another epic day in the gym. Nothing too special, and certainly not heavy weights being lifted by most people's standard, but I was proud of my efforts since I pushed it hard, lifted more than I have all year (as in all of the last 12 months I've been injured and sidelined) in these lifts, and feel really good about it.

Today's workout:

Warm-up - 15 min on Stair Climber

Bodyweight squats

Invisible jump rope
150 jumps
150 jumps
200 jumps

Again, lots of stretching and loosening up and nearly half an hour before touching any weights. Keeping myself injury-free if I can!

Barbell Squats
45lbs x 20
45lbs x 20
89lbs x 15
133lbs x 10
153lbs x 8
173lbs x 3
133lbs x 12

Again, using weights listed in kilos so the pounds look like funny numbers. I just don't trust my lower back as much as I wish I could, especially during squats. I'm gaining more trust while doing deadlifts but still not a lot of trust while squatting. It just doesn't feel quite right and I feel like it could collapse anytime, as it has at least a dozen times in my decade of training. So I'm taking it easy, working my way back up, mostly staying pretty light.

Walking Dumbbell Lunges
35's (70lbs) x 27 steps
40's (80lbs) x 35 steps
50's (100lbs) x 22 steps
60's (120lbs) x 16 steps
70's (140lbs) x 12 steps

This is about double the weight I used last week and have used up until this point over the past year. My psoas/abdominal injury kept me from doing lunges for a while, but now it is fun to be back and carrying fairly heavy dumbbells while keeping full range of motion.

I had a nice big dinner of greens, Gardiein tofu, and refried beans when I got home, followed by some fruit. I got a bunch of yams, Yukon Gold potatoes, beans, greens and other foods today so I should be able to continue bulking up. I'm still quite light at the moment, barely over 170lbs, which is about 20 pounds lighter than what I weighed on this day a year ago before hurting myself.

Working my way back.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

-Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:18 pm 
Rabbit

Awesome, I am excited that you are going to come to at least one Chicago event. I have talked with the guys over at VP and I am hoping to meet them out on the road at a couple more stops. I am hoping that they can get to Chicago this year.

The workouts look great, I know that you are working hard, and that you are really trying to put forth the best effort. As always good luck, and I can't wait to see what you have in store.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:02 am 
Site Admin

1/14/12

Thanks, Steve! Everything is always up in the air with me. I never know exactly where I'm going to be any given day :) It even changes daily sometimes and often weekly. Really hoping to slow down when I get to TX but I know myself well enough to know I'll likely still be out on the open road quite often.

Today's workout for Shoulders and Back:

Warm-up

Stair climber for 15 minutes

Bodyweight squats

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press (I have been doing standing overhead barbell press but wasn't lifting more than 89 pounds so I opted for dumbbells to try to move more weight today).
30's (60lbs) x 20
30's (60lbs) x 20
40's (80lbs) x 10
40's (80lbs) x 10
50's (100lbs) x 9
60's (120lbs) x 4 - Super set shrugs 60's x 12
55's (110lbs) x 6 - Super set shrugs 55's x 20

Pull-ups
Wide grip
Narrow grip

Dumbbell Shrugs
85's (170lbs) x 15
90's (180lbs) x 12
100's (200lbs) x 12
105's (210lbs) x 10
105's (210lbs) x 10
100's (200lbs) x 10

As the workout was winding down I tossed in the following:

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
12.5's x 15
17.5's x 12

Dumbbell Front Raises
12.5's x 15
17.5's x 12

After the workout was completed I rode the stationary bike and watched the 2nd half of a college basketball game for 40 minutes.

I had 2 Vega Sport Protein drinks after the workout, and another one while on the bike :)

Solid workout today. Numbers continue to go up as I get back into the swing of things in the gym.

When I got home I had potatoes, yams, beans and a bit of fruit. I'll eat more before bed too. I'm spending some solid time in the gym, eating a pretty good amount of food and as soon as I wind down at night, trying to get some good sleep too.

Have a wonderful weekend!

-Robert

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next