What are the bulkers eating???

I focus on the big three lifts and only do a few other things at the end of each work out (generally burn sets with light weight) - I was concerned with being ripped when I first got into lifting but now I'm only concerned with getting stronger. In fact, I've been seriously considering doing powerlifting competitions later down the road and, even though that's a long ways away, it's definitely a big motivator for me.

I smashed the pasta dinner and followed it up with a peanut butter cup and shake - felt good.

And Indian food is always a good reward. I always go for that or Thai.

Awesome I'll have a look after your journal. I would usually design my own plans but I found a pretty sweet 5x5 3 day split over at builtfit. Getting some great results using that along with a lifting calculator.

I'm de loading atm but the plan round 7 th week has me worried (in a good way)

I'll get that Morrocan recipe to you over next couple of days

I've been doing a 5x5 routine for about three months now and it's done me pretty well. I've also been considering doing something like PHAT but I think keeping it simple for a while will yield the best results. I'm just coming off of a deload this week so I'll definitely start journalling tomorrow once I hit the gym.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. I too would like to compete. I work with a power lifter & he's squatting rediculious weights.

He's seen me squat & says I have it in me so maybe in a yr or two it's something to look at. My deads will be my slow gain, lower back injuries in my early 20's.

Still it's the one thing I really need to work on so can't complain.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is what I ate yesterday:

Meal 1: (Pre-Workout) 1,107 Calories

Oatmeal (1 cup dry) w/ brown sugar and raisins

Hemp protein smoothie (Orange, Banana, Hemp Protein & Vega Smoothie Infusion)

Meal 2:(Post-Workout) 316 Calories

Protein shake (1 serving soy protein, Warrior Food (rice) and Amazing Meal)

Meal 3: 1,014 Calories

Chicken Style Seitan (10.5 oz)

Frozen Sir Fry Vegetables

Chow Mein Style Noodles (100 grams)

Meal 4: 1,011 Calories

Almonds (2/3 Cup)

Meal 5: 1,690 Calories

4 Tempeh and grilled vegetable tacos

- 1 can black beans

- 1 8 oz package tempeh

- 1 zuchini

- 1 onion

- 1 bell pepper

- 1 avacado

- 4 tortillas

- Homemade pico de gallo

Meal 6: 246 Calories

Protein Shake (Soy & Rice Protein w/ Almond Milk)

Total Calories : 5,384

Total Protein : 359

Total Carbohydrates : 691

Total Fat : 145

Please note it did take me about 3 hours to eat meal number 5.

Here is what I ate yesterday:

Meal 1: (Pre-Workout) 1,107 Calories

Oatmeal (1 cup dry) w/ brown sugar and raisins

Meal 2:(Post-Workout) 316 Calories

Protein shake (1 serving soy protein, Warrior Food (rice) and Amazing Meal)

Meal 3: 1,014 Calories

Chicken Style Seitan (10.5 oz)

Frozen Sir Fry Vegetables

Chow Mein Style Noodles (100 grams)

Meal 4: 1,011 Calories

Almonds (2/3 Cup)

Meal 5: 1,690 Calories

4 Tempeh and grilled vegetable tacos

- 1 can black beans

- 1 8 oz package tempeh

- 1 zuchini

- 1 onion

- 1 bell pepper

- 1 avacado

- 4 tortillas

- Homemade pico de gallo

Meal 6: 246 Calories

Protein Shake (Soy & Rice Protein w/ Almond Milk)

Total Calories : 5,384

Total Protein : 359

Total Carbohydrates : 691

Total Fat : 145

Please note it did take me about 3 hours to eat meal number 5.

I like the way you eat man! Good to see another person on here eating big to get big.

Don't be worried over getting a gut because it's all about getting weight on. You can always take it off when your ready to.

You're training to get fat? Bad advice IMO. When you cut off that excess fat you will lose hard earned muscle so bulk as lean as possible. You don't have to be fat to be strong!

Is approx 4000 calories with 280g of protein

You guys are ridiculous. I can't eat past 2500 a day without getting fat. Where do these metabolisms come from??

Exactly. I'm kind of jealous. Well, maybe 4000 would be a bit too high for my taste but I wouldn't mind eating 3000.

Don't be worried over getting a gut because it's all about getting weight on. You can always take it off when your ready to.

You're training to get fat? Bad advice IMO. When you cut off that excess fat you will lose hard earned muscle so bulk as lean as possible. You don't have to be fat to be strong!

Long, slow bulk > short, fast bulk for that very reason. The fat gains will come but I think keeping it to a minimum is key as there is only so much muscle the human body can build in a given time frame.

I think I'm going to go back to carb-cycling since I'm pretty sure I'm going to be upping calories again soon. I went from 1,800 to 2,000 two weeks ago and I'm pretty sure when I do my weigh-in tomorrow the scale is going to tell me that's not enough - I woke up today and, because I felt leaner, looked at myself in the mirror sans clothes for the first time since upping the calories definitely looked a lot leaner. Probably just water-weight fluctuations but I swear, for the first time in my life, I'm starting to see my abs. Bulking fail or I'm doing it right?

I don't recall stating anyone's aiming to get fat? If you think, while on a bulk every ounce of weight you gain will be lean mass then have have been lied to. Getting a gut doesn't mean it's a beer belly, far from it.

Unlike most people I don't buy into what flex or whatever Hollywood routines stating will get you jacked in 12 weeks. Fact is if you want to get big, a bit of fat is always going to be there. I get bored of reading people obsessing over this carb, this macro, don't eat carbs before bed. Its all bs.

Bottom line is do you like what you see in the mirror? Get your shit in order & man the fuck up

I get bored of reading people obsessing over this carb, this macro, don't eat carbs before bed. Its all bs.

Bottom line is do you like what you see in the mirror? Get your shit in order & man the fuck up

Even though I keep track of my macros, I've got a lot better about just hitting my calorie needs and not stressing about where they come from as much (other than keeping protein high). I get bored with people obsessing over meal timing/frequency and saying calories in/calories out is not the bottom line; when you're in a surplus, you're going to gain weight and it should be your goal to try and make the majority of it muscle but it's not possible to gain muscle without gaining fat in the long run. You might do it initially but it won't last forever.

Easy things to follow: Eat whole foods avoiding protein powders unless absolutely necessary. It's good to get 1g protein per pound body weight, if you are over 15% body fat use lean body mass for this.

Finally approximate your portion sizes, not what someone else

Advises. I've just eaten an hr ago & I'm hungry already so I'm eating, some people would think as its not time to eat I shouldn't.

I don't recall stating anyone's aiming to get fat? If you think, while on a bulk every ounce of weight you gain will be lean mass then have have been lied to. Getting a gut doesn't mean it's a beer belly, far from it.

Unlike most people I don't buy into what flex or whatever Hollywood routines stating will get you jacked in 12 weeks. Fact is if you want to get big, a bit of fat is always going to be there. I get bored of reading people obsessing over this carb, this macro, don't eat carbs before bed. Its all bs.

Sounded like you were suggesting over eating. Agreed that some fat gain is inevitable but its about getting maximum muscle gain with the least amount of fat (obviously) I think people often go crazy when bulking then end up loosing all their gains when dieting! Slow and steady wins the race

I think people often go crazy when bulking then end up loosing all their gains when dieting! Slow and steady wins the race

I agree with this. Yeah, being neurotic about weight/fat gain on a bulk isn't the best course of action but neither is just saying 'fuck it' and tacking unnecessary fat - there's only so much muscle one can build over the course of time. No sense in rushing when it'll put you back in the long run.