Karen's...

I didn't feel like going to the gym today; just didn't have the mental energy and thought about taking the day off. BUT, I realized that I was perfectly capable today and know there will be some other day when I'll want the rest even more than I wanted it today, so I went anyway. Just didn't push it as long today. I did a really easy 5 minute warm-up on the eliptical, followed by 40 minutes of increasing resistance, starting at 4 and then increasing it by 4 after every couple of songs on my iPod. Got up to resistance level 16, and then gradually lowered it back down, eventually to 6, throughout the last 10 minutes or so.

Breakfast:

Green Smoothie with Vega WFHO and flax

Lunch:

Kabocha Squash and Adzuki Beans

Dinner:

Tostadas - corn tortillas, black beans, lettuce, salsa, avocado (I was inspired by yesterday's contest winner! Hahaha!)

Snacks:

Radishes

Orange

Cutie Clementines

I'm hoping to get an early enough start tomorrow to make it to a spin/lift class at the gym. We'll see if I can get my butt in gear early enough!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice work! Way to get yourself there by looking at the big picture and knowing where you want to be in the future and recognizing the work ethic and dedication it takes to get there.

Awesome stuff!

Thanks for all your continued work. It is outstanding! We're up to just about 200 people who are part of this New You for the New Year program.

In about 3.5 weeks we'll be updating our "training journal" with workouts detailing how many boxes we packaged and shipped out each day. I imagine it will take an entire week based on the detail and quality we'll put into each prize package.

Have a great night!

PS, note to Carolina, a Primal Strip is a vegan tofu/seitan jerky strip. They come in all kinds of flavors and are quite good. They're found at some healthfood stores, some mainstream stores and pretty much at all vegan food stores.

www.primalspiritfoods.com

Rest day. Feeling kind of off-kilter. Spent 15 minutes "dancing" around the living room and did a few crunches and push-ups.

Breakfast: green smoothie with Vega and flax

Lunch: black bean soup and soy yogurt

Dinner: salad and a rice/bean/tempeh/veggie dish I made, which was pretty damn delicious, if I do say so myself.

Snacks: whole wheat crackers, radishes, airpopped popcorn

Hey, you!

Taking a trick out of Miguel's playbook I see. Awesome! As I was shipping Miguel's contest winning gifts to him today I was recalling the dancing part of his exercise program.

I love it!

Of course, that is how you met me too, right? Dancing it up on the vegan cruise! I think dancing is a wonderful form of exercise. Maybe that is how I really built my calves

We both had rest days today. We need those every week. Thanks again for all your work on this project! Nearly 500 NEW forum members have joined in the past 3 weeks we've been running this program. Very well done!

You mean a lot to this community!

Have a great night!

Karen! What's up girlfriend? You're doing so fantastic! I'm so excited to see how you're improving each day and staying focused on your goals! You're making fitness a part of every day life by dancing, bowling, etc. Finding enjoyment in what you're doing is key to sticking with the program- it's a lifestyle- and your lifestyle is more active each day!

I know I asked you before, but have you tried Zumba? I LOVE IT! It's so much fun- awesome music! If you have an opportunity, I highly recommend it!

Have a wonderful day- keep up the amazing work! You are an inspiration! xoxo

Yep, Robert! Copied the dancing around straight out of Miguel's playbook.

Haha, Doug! It's been a couple days since I've actually been cream crackered! I'm overdue!

Thanks, Amanda! I checked out a Zumba DVD the other day, but it was way over my head! I'm sooooo uncoordinated.... which is why I don't dance! Haha! Thanks for the encouragement, and maybe we can have a phone chat soon? I'm in need of some catching up and advice.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Today my "workout" consisted of 5 hours of housework for my friend. Perhaps not the toughest cardio ever in the history of the world, but lots of tough work nonetheless! I wasn't officially 'cream crackered' per se, but quite exhausted nonetheless!

Breakfast:

Grapefruit

Sprouted multi-grain bread with some peanut butter

Lunch:

(I didn't make it for myself, so it's not what I would have ideally put on it, but...)

Sandwich with lettuce, tomato, Tofutti cream "cheese", Vegenaise, 2 garlic stuffed olives and some pickled okra

Dinner:

Corn tortillas with pinto beans, spinach, tomato, green onion, salsa, and avocado

Snacks:

Apple

Whole wheat crackers

Soy latte (coffee with a friend)

Nice work!

I saw Amanda's Zumba suggestion and I knew it wouldn't really be your thing, but it's totally my thing! I love dance exercise and the choreography and sequences and all that. Much more up my alley than yours, but I'd still say to give it a try sometime.

Nice of you to help your friend again. I know those can be long days.

Looking forward to getting some workouts in with you soon. Time is flying! We're already 1/3 of the way through this challenge and we'll be shipping out prize packages in no time!

Roll on Austin, TX!

Have a great night!

Hi Karen,

Looks like RC and I are going to have to Zumba together! I am seriously not great at it at all... Inside I want to be an awesome dancer but I'm not! When I started I was still out of shape and stood in the back until I felt comfortable ... Took me months to even try the class but now I'm hooked because of the music and it's pretty much all based on the same 4 steps. If its not your thing that's so totally cool!

Yes! Let's chat soon sweetie! Shoot me an email or text and we will get a phone date on the books!

Xoxo

Okay, guys, so I feel like I'm backsliding. No motivation or will to exercise, plus I want to eat everything in sight! I feel like running away and hiding in a cave. Well, maybe not the running part so much as the hiding part.

I'm scared of ruining 10 days' worth of good work in a matter of a day or two.

Hi Karen,

I don't know if it helps at all, but I used to detest exercise.

For whatever reason, I finally decided to start doing it and make myself do it no matter what, X days a week. (I think it was three days at the time).

i had an elliptical and would watch the X-Files while using it..and on the days that I felt like the last thing in the world I wanted to do was exercise, i did it anyway - but I didn't put on a heart monitor or aim for any extra feats..the feat for me those days was just sticking with it...just getting on the thing and doing the 30minutes...even if i did them slowly/with little oomph - just that i was keeping up with it..that i was doing it at all.

On other days when I felt better, I might try to increase my speed/time/whatever..but on the days I felt like you describe..just doing it - that was the hurdle..

Kind of like what you did on the 9th..just doing something even if it's not everything.

And somehow, as you've read, I went from that to...a bit more neurotic about exercise to the point that now, not only do I do so regularly, the times that I have to push myself to exercise are few...For me, it was kind of like once I sludged through and broke past the old habits, the new ones took hold; to the point that now, it would be easier for me to visit the gym twice a day, every day than to spend the week relatively inactive.

Either way, don't beat yourself up! Whatever you do for the next day or two won't negate the work you've done the other ten..like you wrote on the 9th - you knew that another day you might need the rest even more..so, maybe this is one of those rest days..and tomorrow or the next day, you come back just as strong, if not stronger!

I'm confident you'll get right back into it, Karen. Do I need to fly you out here have RC show you the ropes? I've got all kinds of ideas to make exercise and healthy eating fun. You're doing such a great job and you'll feel great when you wake up.

This is how awesome you are:

Need a road trip? oh, and can't forget Benny

We're all here to support you. Group hug!

You can do it!

Have fun dancing!

And for fun, this is me farting:

OK, time for bed.

Have an awesome day!

I had one ofthose days yesterday. Didn't feel great, no motivation. Infact I woke up this morning feeling that way too. It is nice that we all have eachother to support ad encourage throughout our journey. Hope today was a better day!

You really should try Zumba. Even once. It is a lot of fun. Robert I would love to see you doing Zumba!!!\

All the best,

Tiffany

Hi sweetie! I emailed you and we'll chat soon! Don't be discouraged! You're doing so great! I'm a total perfectionist and I know you are too. The goal is health- not perfection! There is no perfect- person, diet, or workout plan! This process is about getting to know your body and what makes it run like a fine tuned machine!

You are on the right path to achieving your goals- you've already come far! Even if you aren't seeing the results yet- don't be discouraged- they will come. This journey is a mental, spiritual and physical one!

Can't wait to chat with you and get you energized! xo

Karen - Thank you so much for posting on my log. It really helps to know someone other than me is looking at it. It's the first time anyone's every commented and I reallllly appreciate it.

I've been having the no motivation problem too, but for me it's food that's the issue. Let's both jump back on this train and just keep chugging along.

Wow... I'm really feeling the love from y'all. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Today was another rough day, but I did force myself into doing a workout - the Engine 2 program. I felt a bit better mentally/emotionally afterwards, but looking foward to the start of another new day tomorrow.

Following the warm-up stretches, I did:

squats 1x40

incline pushups 2x10

flutterkicks 1x30,1x20,1x10

squat thrusts 1x20

lunges 1x15

plank 1:00

dips 1x20

JJs 1x50

pike-ups 1x12, 1x3 (bonus)

mtn. climbers 1x3, my shoe fell off, then 1x15

Thanks again, everyone. I'm so appreciative of the support and kind words... and smilies.

Awesome work, Karen!

Great stuff. I know you were feeling down and I applaud you for being able to stick with your fitness program, even during a rough day, knowing it is another step toward forward progress and your eventual achievement of your own personal goals. Congratulations! It is often the mental and emotional aspects, not the physical ones, that prevent us from achieving, and those same aspects that power us through to accomplishment. Well done today!

I love the comment about your shoe falling off and then re-doing the set.

Keep up the great work!

Tomorrow is another awesome day. I'm glad you're feeling so much support from this community. That is, after all, why the forum was created nearly a decade ago.

All the best! Have a great night.

-Robert

Looks like you're doing great! There is a constant struggle between our primitive selves that wants instant gratification and our modern selves that know we need to work hard for greater rewards later. I struggle with myself every day. I totally agree with Robert that it is an emotional struggle, keep your attitude and you will meet your goals!

>I felt a bit better mentally/emotionally afterwards, but looking foward to the start of another new day tomorrow.

Yayy..hopefully today is even better for you!

>Thanks again, everyone. I'm so appreciative of the support and kind words..

what goes around..

Aww... Thanks, guys! I'm really feeling inspired by all of you. Thanks for checking up on me!

Went to the gym today and got back into my cardio routine.

Stairclimber - 20 minutes (5 min. @ 40/45 steps/min, then 15 min. @ 60 steps/min)

Eliptical - 60 minutes (started at resistance level 4 and increased it by 4 every 5 minutes until reaching 16, then backed down by 4 every 5 minutes until level 8, where I stayed until the end.

Not sure if it's yesterday's exercise or today's, but my body is fairly sore! Mentally, though, that feels good.

Hi Karen,

Lovely cardio session! You're pushing through mentally which is often harder than pushing through physical pain! If you can train the mind, the body can be trained to do just about anything! When I don't want to work out, I just say, ok I'm going to at least get in the car and drive there. Once I'm there- ok just 15 mins- that turns into 30 which turns quickly into an hour. You feel even better knowing you pushed yourself you be mentally strong and physically strong! You're getting both on and I love it!

Can't wait to chat on the phone in a bit! xo