The Los Mangoles Sessions

Create and maintain your own personal online journal. Log your meals and/or workouts, and monitor your progress. Hold yourself accountable and receive support, suggestions, and be open to feedback.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Motionislife
Rabbit

The Iron Clad log: Training for Tough Mudder

#16 Postby Motionislife » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:02 am

I am so intrigued by your 80/10/10 diet and keep telling myself I'm going to give it a try. I assume you just eat fruit until you're satisfied, but I'm curious as to exactly what you eat and when on a given day, especially your fueling/refueling for long runs and strength work.
Charlotte

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

Re: The Iron Clad log: Training for Tough Mudder

#17 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 am

Charlotte,
OK sure here's what I ate on Saturday to give you an example:

Breakfast (8:30am)
32oz water
3lbs grapes

Lunch:
64oz Banana-spinach smoothie (12pm)
5 dates

Post-workout refuel (3:30pm):
64oz Banana-blueberry-spinach smoothie

Dinner (7pm)
Veggie dip (1/2 avocado, 1/2 tomato, 1 lemon, basil - blended in vitamix)
With 1 sliced cucumber and 8oz carrots

This was probably just under 4,000 calories, with the bulk of them being mid-day. Since fruit and vegetables are less calorie-dense than other foods, you need to eat more in a sitting. This takes time to develop the stomach capacity. In the beginning you may get full off something like 5 bananas, but you won't be satiated. Now I typically eat 12-15 bananas as a meal and that is extremely satiating/satisfying. It's hard to jump right into 80/10/10 you have to ease into it, slowly building up your fruit intake.

So if you want to try it I would say 1) eat as much fruit as you care for at the beginning of most meals. 2) Go to www.foodnsport.com and pay the $30 to get the 80/10/10 diet book. It is a WEALTH of information about diet and health. Doug Graham has been a vegan since the 70s and a raw vegan since the late 70s/ early 80s. So the book represents decades of research and wisdom. It is really is fantastic, I can't recommend it highly enough. You will learn a lot.

robert
Site Admin

#18 Postby robert » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:58 am

Yo! Did you see my post at the bottom of the previous page? ;)

Hope to see you join us for a big forum party in Austin to celebrate the completion of this program and collectively eat a bunch of food, share some laughs, listen to some music and prepare 200 packages to ship out :)

Have a great one!

Robert

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#19 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:27 am

robert wrote:Yo! Did you see my post at the bottom of the previous page? ;)

Hope to see you join us for a big forum party in Austin to celebrate the completion of this program and collectively eat a bunch of food, share some laughs, listen to some music and prepare 200 packages to ship out :)

Have a great one!

Robert

Whoah totally missed that when the blog went to the next page, thanks for following up. I just sent you an email. Should be fun! :popcorn: See ya.

Motionislife
Rabbit

The Iron Clad log: Training for Tough Mudder

#20 Postby Motionislife » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks Ben! Now I'm even more intrigued... 12-15 bananas in one sitting! I'm more of a salad and greens girl. I can go through 12-15 cups of greens in a day, easy. My salad bowl is a family-sized pasta serving bowl. :)

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#21 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 am

Motionislife wrote:Thanks Ben! Now I'm even more intrigued... 12-15 bananas in one sitting! I'm more of a salad and greens girl. I can go through 12-15 cups of greens in a day, easy. My salad bowl is a family-sized pasta serving bowl. :)

Greens are a must! I should mention that those smoothies had about 3/4lb of spinach in them. So when my smoothies aren't green, I'm doing salads. 80/10/10 should really be 50/50 fruits/greens by volume, but calorically it's more like 95-99%/1-5% since leafy greens have almost no calories (but tons of minerals and vitamins).

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#22 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Alright. Training this week:

Monday: Bar workout
Tuesday: Rest day
Wednesday: Bar workout
Thursday: Tempo run, max speed seems to be increasing.
Friday: Interval run, didn't feel so fast today. Trying to kick the speed up a notch I felt like I was running through molasses.

Oranges for breakfast, knocking back some datorade now.

LilDragon
Rabbit

#23 Postby LilDragon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Wow and I thought I ate loads of fruit! I need to up my game lol

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#24 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:10 pm

WHAT A DAY OUT THERE! Absolutely BEAUTIFUL day in Austin today. Probably in the high 60F's.

Played 2 hours of footbag then immediately had a 1 hour bar workout. GRRRRR!! On menu plan today it's been dates, bananas, peach and romaine lettuce. Fruits and veg does a body good!

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#25 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:40 pm

11 mile run today, 1:52:42. A little over 10 minute miles. Tough mudder is in 2 weeks!

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#26 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:48 pm

Bar workout on Monday, rest day today.

I got a new roommate a couple weeks ago. She has been curious about raw foods so I've started teaching her the ropes, starting with juicing. Next up, SMOOTHIES!

Going in for a physical and some bloodwork on Thursday. Should be interesting to see my results.

Scobra
Rabbit

#27 Postby Scobra » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:57 pm

I'm doing the TM in may for mlps and I just started hardcore training this week. You must be more and more excited as the day approaches. Good luck!!! Keep on training.

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#28 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:08 am

Wow, haven't posted in 3 days? I ended up having to take a rest day on Wednesday too which I was not too excited about. Ran yesterday and banged out a few pullups at the end of the run. New PR! I got 6 full-dangle pull-ups and only kipped a little on the last one.

I've been pretty unhappy so far this year. I've had a hard time focusing and little things have been upsetting me. Now I realize a lot of it is probably because I haven't been getting enough sleep. Sunday night I only got like 4 hours sleep. I got some decent sleep Monday night, but then Tuesday and Wednesday night didn't go to bed until late. I notice it's much harder for me to go to bed at a reasonable hour if I haven't exercised during the day. So last night I slept 9:30pm-7am which was GREAT. I woke up feeling better today than the first time in a long time. I'm not 100%, but I think if I can spend the next few weeks getting into the habit of going to bed early, it will even me out. If I could do something like sleep 8:30/9 to 6am every day I bet I would feel amazing. Plus it's harder to eat well when you're cranky from not enough sleep. Definitely ate an entire big bag of Munchos over the course of 3 days this week. They were good, not gonna lie, but I'm not too proud of that.

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#29 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Today, 5-mile bike ride each way to a bar workout

My pull up and chin up form is getting WAY better. I didn't know until recently that "kipping" with your legs is considered poor form (cheating). So I stopped doing that. It feels so much cleaner to just have my legs stay completely still. So this time around I got 7 chin-ups with NO KIP, not even on the last couple.

Tomorrow I haven't made up my mind how far I'm going to run (anywhere from 6 to 13 miles) and then begin taper for Tough Mudder next Sunday!

Today's Noms:
Carrot-ginger-apple-lemon-lime juice
30 bananas + 1/3lb spinach worth of smoothies
Raw food potluck tonight... kinda worried, we'll see.

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#30 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Long run today

8 miles in 1:17:59 - 9:45 pace, getting faster :)

Did pretty relatively bad on the diet today. Too much cooked food.
-Carrot/apple/ginger/lemon/lime juice
-32 oz banana-spinach smoothie
-3 napalito tamales (probably terrible for me, but AMAZINGLY delicious)
-2 oz flax crackers
-Red curry vegetables w/brown rice
-1 bottle kombucha

***TAPER WEEK COMING UP***

Will try to hang on to my sanity...

Return to “Online Training Journals & Blogs”