The Vegan Bavarian

January 3.2012

Bench Press 40kgx14 50x2 60x2

Dips -33kgx9 -33x6 -26x3

Lat Pulldown with reverse grip 49kgx12 56x3 49x6

Machine Row 35kgx11 30x11 25x11

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 14kgx11 16kgx5 14kgx7

Frontheben 6kgx12 7x10 8x7

(i do not know the english word for the last exercise :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7X5O39nAQE)

this was my first workout in 2012. i tried do find out with how much weigth to train in the next future. i am actually unsecure doing low or high rep sets.

Hi Max!

Great to see that you started a journal. I'll be keeping an eye on it and seeing where I can give some good feedback or suggestions. How did that drum session go? I'm not capable of playing any musical instrument of any level of quality, so I'll leave that for you.

Hope you're getting a lot of fresh whole foods in your diet, some good rest and when the muscle aches subside, another great training session in.

Catch up soon. All the best!

-Robert

drum session was great. the workout today too!

assisted chin ups: -40kgx14 -33x7 -33x5

lat pulldown with reverse grip 49kgx6 42x11 42x9

smith incline bench press 50kgx10 50x8 40x9

dumbbell shoulder press 14x9 12x9 10x10

side dumbbell raises 6x9 5x10 5x10

post workout meal:

whole-grain bread with margarine and sugar beet syrup

yellow lentil soup

mache

apple puree with cinnamon and a little bit almond puree

Nice workout.

You getting a lot of fruits and vegetables in on a regular basis as well? I like to eat as much fruit as possible, including before a workout.

Keep after it! Nice to see some free weights in there, the best kind of weights to lift (barbells and dumbbells).

Have a great week ahead!

-Robert

i do get a lot of vegetables but in winter i have only little desire for fruits that´s why i do not eat that much (mostly oranges and bananas). in contrast to that i use to eat a lot of fruits in spring and summer.

free weigths are also my personal preference. sadly i am actually not able to do my favorite exercises: heavy barbell rows and squats. but i like lat pulldowns as well.

best wishes!

max

for the next 4-6 weeks i am going to do these two workouts alternating with one or two days rest in between.

three sets per exercise with the first set doing 5-8 reps and the second and third 8-12 reps each.

i felt quite satisfied and exhausted after these two workouts so i think they are not that bad since i am currently not able to do barbell rows, squats and deadlifts due to my injury.

workout A

bench press

dips

lat pulldown with reverse grip

machine row

dumbbell shoulder press

front dumbbell raises

workout B

assisted chin ups

smith-/dumbbell incline bench press

dumbbell shoulder press

side dumbbell raises

what dou you think of that robert? any exercises you would ad or replace?

how does the so called afterburn effect work and how to generate it?

Hi Max,

Great stuff. You know what, even during the winter, I'm still very attracted to fruit. In fact just a few days ago I was eating fruit which hasn't been in season since the summer, including cherries and mangoes and today I almost purchased some blueberries I just love fruit, love how it makes me feel, love the energy it gives me and the overall nutrition it provides.

Nice workout schedule. I know you're getting that hamstring to recover right now. What's the time table for the recovery process?

As far as suggestions, let's see:

I really like the 5-8 rep range with the 8-12 tossed in there too. I'm also very much an 8-rep kind of person. Lately I've been a little more on the 10-12 rep side for some exercises but others around 6-8. It's a nice range for strength, muscle and mass building, based on the effort required and the actual time it takes to complete a set.

It looks like you have dumbbell shoulder press in both workouts. Perhaps you could do some barbell or dumbbell shrugs or some upright rows? Would those work within your injury? It seems like both with be fine as they isolate the shoulders pretty well.

I like the reverse grip pull-ups and pull-downs to target biceps, as well as machine rows an the dips to hit the triceps but I'm wondering if you could squeeze in a biceps curl or one more triceps exercise with barbell or dumbbells to ensure they get their full work too.

Overall, I like it, but I'd take out one of the shoulder presses and put in some shrugs and upright rows and if there is room, toss in some narrow grip presses or french presses for triceps one day and some good ol barbell biceps curls the other day (arm biceps of course!)

Hope you recover well and keep on eating that good food and getting that upper body strong.

Not sure what you're referring to for the after burn. The pump? Or drop sets? Or doing cardio after weights? Or replenishing nutrients right after exercise? Let me know a few more details.

All the best.

first of all thanks for your request!

the recovery process should be finished in 4-8 weeks.

alright i will follow your suggestions.

shrugs or upright rows could both work, i will just try which one works better.

i will ad barbell biceps curls to workout A and narrow grip presses to workout B. maybe i also ad dumbbell french presses to workout B but first i will do it like this:

workout A

bench press

dips

machine row

dumbbell shoulder press

front dumbbell raises

barbell biceps curls

workout B

assisted chin ups

smith incline bench press

narrow grip presses

dumbell shrugs/upright rows

side dumbbell raise

with the afterburn i am referring to cause calorie burning also hours after the workout. has to do with Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen

Comsumption. i read about that here: http://afterburneffect.net/

what is your opinion to that?

concerning cardio after weights i will do 20-40min medium intensity runs after my workouts when my injury has healed.

best wishes from germany

max

Great stuff, Max!

I'll look into that link. It sounds very interesting.

Glad to see you'll add some of those arm exercises in and the new shoulder ones too. I think it can balance things out a bit more for you while adding in more variety as well, also possibly giving other areas a bit more time to recover as you hit more muscles more directly.

You could even devise a workout C if you wanted and do an A, B, and C rotation. Maybe later down the road.

Have a great weekend!

-Robert

pre workout meal: banana

bench press 50kgx7 40x12 40x8

assisted dips -26x8 -33x8 -40x10

machine row 40x8 35x11 30x11

lat pulldown with reverse grip 49x4 42x8 35x12

dumbbell shoulder press 14x13 14x7 12x7

front dumbbell raises 8x7 6x12 6x10

barbell biceps curls 20x12 20x10 20x7

post workout meal:

bananas

soy steaks

quinoa with kidney beans, corn, onion, garlic, pepper, salt,

fresh salad with hemp- and pumpkin seeds

not exactly the planned reps today but i was quite exhausted. so what?

50kg bench press with 7 reps outlines a good process for me. i am quite satisfied with that. shortly after starting strength training i was able to do 80kg squat, 100kg deadlift but only about 35kg bench press. i am moving forward

hey robert

had a lot of work to do the last two weeks...since i was mostly on the road (munich, berlin,...) i had only time to workout twice a week.

nutrition could work better but is quite fine. it is just difficult when you are on the move. great to tell you that a have been to a demonstration in berlin with 23 000 people against the agrar industry, gm industry and factory farming!

i post the last workouts as soon as possible...got to jet again!

best wishes

Wow! You've been busy!

I know how it goes. I leave tomorrow for a 2 week driving trip halfway across the US. I'll be working out in random gyms all along the way.

Cool that you were at such a large demonstration! I'd love to hear more about it.

Have a great time getting back into the swing of things with your workouts.

All the best. Keep in touch.

Thursday 1/19

bench press 55x4 45x10 45x8

dips 55x4 45x10 45x8

lat pulldown with reverse grip 56x6 49x7 42x11

machine row 56x6 49x7 42x11

dumbbell shoulder press 56x6 49x7 42x11

front dumbbell raises 8x10 6x10 6x10

barbell biceps curls 8x10 6x10 6x10

monday 1/23

assisted chin ups 63x3 49x12 49x8

lat pulldown with reverse grip -33x9 -40x10 -47x12

machine incline bench press -33x9 -40x10 -47x12

narrow grip presses 40x6 35x8 30x10

dumbell shrugs 40x6 35x8 30x10 (no good form, have to do them slower and with less weigth)

side dumbbell raise 8x7 6x10 6x10

it was the second time that this demo took place. last year it were about 21000 people, this year 23000. the slogan of the demonstration was "we are sick of it". concerning the EU-agrar policy and german agrar policy supporting agrarian industry and factory farming. our claims are laws to support small farms, laws against factory farming and the prohibition of factory farming. the participants were all kind of people: environmentalism associations, organic farming associations, vegan movements, people who are just sick of agrarian industry, greenpeace, attac,...and so on.

it was a great experience, and i think we can change something.

e.g. the BASF concern announced recently that they will backtrack gm technology in the EU and stop this crap completely in the EU.

hope things go on like this

enjoy your trip across the US!

all the best!

max

• 2 weeks later...

sorry for that, i have been on a longer business trip. i don´t have much time at the moment , but at least for training.

will post the workouts as soon as possible.

things are coming out allright: first i make progress in training and get stronger, second i have been at the doctor who told me the injury is healed and i can start slowly with moderate cardio training and if that works for a while i can also do strength training for my legs again. very happy about that!!