HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

Well the last date I posted should be scary enough to get me back into action. As usual it takes a friend to knock a little sense into me. I am very excited about Robert's 12 days of veganbodybuilding, so I had no choice but to join. I don't want to embarrass myself so I'm going to put a lot of effort into it. This could be a bit tough as I'm visiting my family for the next 2 weeks in Delaware, and it's not exactly a vegan friendly place, but I will make it work somehow.

Also don't have regular gym access, but I hope I can do most things at the house.

So wish me luck, and maybe its the kick in the butt that I need!

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the 12 days section, and the training, and nutrition which will be difficult but I will figure it out since I'm home for the holiday, with limited access to getting around. Ran a bit with my niece outside not as much as I need to but it was probably around 5 minutes or so. Now I have to find a quiet place that I can do some lunges, jumping jacks, bicycle crunches etc.

Completed the exercise portion for day one, and I am more tired than I thought I would be. Of course I don't usually do ten sets when I exercise. Now comes the hard part finding something relatively healthy and vegan in this area. Went to Trader Joe's this morning, and my mom is now in agreement that they don't really cater to vegans, with them its all about organics. With no Whole Foods nearby just being vegan is a challenge, but when you add eating relatively healthy its near impossible, especially since I don't like the kitchen.

Yesterday I was in New York for the day with my mom and aunt. We walked a lot, but that was the extent of my exercise for the day.

But thanks to my android I was able to check out veganbodybuilding, and still participate and learn from the 12 days of veganbodybuilding event.

New York is full of vegan goodness, and it was overwhelming trying to figure out where to go. For lunch we ended up at Otarian Cafe, near Central Park, because we had walked from the Port Authority area, through the theater district, and Times Square, so we were famished and also needed to find a restroom, which are few in Manhattan,

Then for dinner after our 4 hour tour we stopped at Maoz, a middle eastern restaurant in the theater district and got a falafel wrap. I can't lie I also got their vegan rice pudding, it was so so.

Yesterday I was in New York for the day

Then for dinner after our 4 hour tour we stopped at Maoz, a middle eastern restaurant in the theater district and got a falafel wrap. I can't lie I also got their vegan rice pudding, it was so so.

Nice! Now you are all fueled up and ready to go for the next training session

Visiting family in the suburbs of Wilmington and not having transportation isn't getting me to the gym as much as I'd like. I did get there yesterday though with my mom, and we tried out a Zumba class that my mom was very glad she could do without too much effort. Then we toured the YMCA, and I found out my membership was expired at the one that I go to in Orlando Anyway I think I will check another health club in this area and see what they have to offer, compared to the YMCA. There's always Planet Fitness, but since my mom enjoys classes that's not really an option.

Not sure if it counts for a workout but I ran around outside after my nieces today, and walked around our block while they road their bikes. After ten days my mom found the Amy's vegan pot pies at an Acme grocery store. I was starting to think it was a figment of her imagination that any grocery store in Wilmington actually carried them. I also found an apartment listing in the Downtown Orlando area. The reason I'm listing this in my blog is that if I get my own place I will have my own kitchen! Yeah, smoothies here I come! Right now the place I'm staying at is far from ideal. I leave around 730am, and don't get back for a solid 12 hours, 4 hours being the commute via the bus.

Tomorrow I return to Florida, and eating good! I ate terribly during the holidays, and I'm not making excuses, but I am ready to get back on track! Its funny that when you eat better you don't realize how eating badly for too long makes you feel awful. Anyway I have a lot of things to do in Orlando, including finding my own place, so I can have my own kitchen. For me that is half my problem, not having my own kitchen so I can make smoothies, live on Vega, and actually attempt cooking. I am looking forward to this year. I am looking forward to accomplishing a lot at the gym, and having my body yield the results.

Today I went grocery shopping, and I didn't buy any treats! I also found out that the week I am on Spring break is also the week of the Vegan Cruise. I don't know where I will get the money, but I am planning on being on that cruise, and being in much better shape than I am right now. So I am going all out, and tomorrow when I return to the gym, I will be going full force.

I still don't have my own place, but I have to start eating better, so I bought fruit, soy milk, soy yogurt, hummus, carrots, black bean soup, oatmeal, and stuff for vegan meals with plant protein like the Gardein veggie burgers, vegan chili, vegan cheese, etc, but no dessert items!

On my way to the gym, by foot. Haven't eaten a whole lot today so hopefully I will have a lot of energy anyway. Taking two classes probably, more details later.

Here's what I did tonight. My first workout of 2012! YEAH!!!!

walked about a mile to the gym

Step (55 minute group exercise class) some people may think this is a workout for sissies, but if you get the right instructor it can and will be a kickbutt workout! It was full of cardio and lots of endurance type movements like plyometric squats, and jumping jacks, and lunges.

Immediately after that class I stayed for Body Pump, along with the same instructor.I don't go as heavy when the classes have no break between them. One class is hard enough but two is near impossible. For those that don't know BP always has the same arrangement. Each track is focused on one major body part. Here's what I did. Each track is usually 4-6 minutes long, and sometimes no breaks.

Warmup- light barbell mine was 20lbs- deadlifts, dead rows, upright rows, shoulder presses, squats, lunges, bent over rows, bicep curls

Squats- 35lb barbell

chest- 30lb bb

back- 30lb bb dead lifts, dead rows, clean and presses,

triceps- used 10lb plate in lap for dips off bench, then used weight for tricep extensions, 20 lb bb for skull crushers, and tricep press

biceps- 20lb bb

lunges, and more squats in this lunge track 20lb bb

shoulders-I hate shoulders! 20 lb bb, but started on one knee with different types of lateral raises, then grabbed bar and hammered out a bunch of overhead presses that my body does not like to do. Then hit the floor for push ups.

abdominals- lots of ab curls, bicycle crunches, etc oh and planks which my right shoulder is not letting me do very well. My abs hurt!

stretching- the best part of the workout!

Didn't have any time to update yesterday. I could lie and say I got to the gym, but I wont! LOL. I wanted to but my schedule got all messed up, but I did mange to walk outside for close to 2-2.5 miles, so I wasn't completely sedentary. I also forgot part of my lunch, and didn't want to fall over from hunger at the gym.

Today I am taking a 45 minute Spin class at 430pm. Not sure how the instructor will be, but at least its 45 minutes of burning calories.

I so did not feel like going to the gym, but I did! I took a 45 minute Spin class, and then I started my bus trip back to where I'm currently living.

Tomorrow I get off early, and I am walking, with possible intervals of running around Downtown and my goal isn't miles, or speed its to find an apartment, so my life will once again belong to me and not the bus schedules.

Today I power walked around the Downtown area for about 4 miles while I searched for apartments for rent. Then I did a quick chest workout which looked like this.

3 sets chest press 15lb db- 15 reps each

3 sets chest flys 10 lb db 15-reps each

3 sets incline chest press- 10lb db- 15 reps each set

15 pushups on knees

30 pushups using stability ball

stretch

Don't even get me started about this morning! I thought someone was going to drop me off at the gym, so I didn't take the bus, but then they offered to drop me off part way, Really? By then I couldn't make it to yoga, so much for relaxing/destressing. But I persevered, and still went to the Y.

My workout consisted of 45 minutes of cardio on a precor machine, which said I burned 332 calories. Not very good, but at least I did something.

Now I am at Drunken Monkey, on my laptop, and trying to be good and not buy any vegan brownies. So far I've had a small vegan breakfast burrito, organic coffee, and a vegan mixed berry muffin.

Tomorrow is a new Body Pump release so that's why I didn't do any weights today.

Now I have to continue my search for a place to rent downtown, or else I can go crazy and stay where I am.

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, but here's my workout for Sunday!

1pm: Step class 55 minutes

3pm: new Body Pump release with three very enthusiastic instructors leading the class

The class was packed about 40 people, but I was still able to have my usual extra weights. Not too sore today, but I'm kind of dreading how I'll feel tomorrow!

Yesterday I had a banana smoothie in the morning, then before my workout I had an apple, and in-between workouts I had a fruit bar by Barbara's. Then ended up at the mall, and ate at the food court, an indian place called Spice, had chana masala, which is basically chick peas, and rice in a small amount of tomato sauce. later on I had a bowl of peanut butter cereal by Barbara's and soy milk.

No luck on the apartment hunt, and no time to spare either!

Monday I went to a 45 minute Spin class, led by the insane head coach of the Central Florida Triathlete Club which supposedly is the most structured Tri club in the Nation. When you get a workout from Hector you will understand why I completely agree with what he says. He is very disciplined when it comes to exercise, and expects the same from each athlete, or average person dumn enough to take his spin class and think they can get away with not putting every last ounce of themselves into the workout. So it is understandable that after 45 minutes of his Spin class I felt like throwing up, but no I didn't. My shirt was completely soaked through, and I looked like I'd been working out for hours.

Here is my post with yesterdays workout. I want to get credit for posting about different workouts, so tha'ts why they aren't in the same post.

Tuesday- Step workout 55 minutes long- 530-630pm

The day did not end the way I wanted, and I was not a happy camper!

Here's what happened. I thought I had a ride home from the gym, but that fell through, so in order to get back to the house at a decent hour I had to skip my Body Pump class. So I leave the gym right after Step, and get my first bus to the Downtown station which is only about 2 miles away. I had about a 45 minute wait, not too bad, but the bus never came. The bus had broken down and for whatever reason there was no replacement coming to get us. So besides finding out that I could have stayed for both workouts after all, I got to wait at the crummy bus station at night for almost nearly 2 hours. Then I got back at 10 minutes to 10pm. But I did get in one workout at least, and my first math class of the semester wasn't as bad as I thought. Those were the only ups of the day.

Today I was quite busy! Worked half a shift, went to math class, then made it back to the Y for a Step/strength workout. I left my lunch in the fridge at work so i didn't eat all day either. The workout wasn't too hard but I had no energy and was famished so it still seemed like an intense workout. I also rode the bus for about 4.5 hours today, so I'm beat.

Friday- Today was another day off from the gym, but tomorrow mornin g I may go to a beginner yoga class to get all stretched out.

I am doing my best to not get stressed out about my life but right now I am frazzled to say the least.So for the time being I am just taking it one day at a time, and doing my best

I recently found out about an internship through my church in Boston this Summer and I may apply. This would of course set me back getting my degree, but I just can't stop thinking it may be exactly what I need. And if I spend almost 2 months in Boston I should be able to figure out if I really want to move there.

Saturday: I woke up at 620 am and I just could not get up, so I slept in and had the best sl;eep I've had in a month probably, and didn't get up until a little after 9 in the morning.

So I didn't get to yoga, but I did get some cardio in by walking to all my bus stops, while carrying a heavy bag too. for breakfast I had a banana milk shake, with soy milk of course,

Lunch was at the mall I ate a falalafel platter with hummus, tabouleh, and falafel and flat bread.

Then I ruined my diet by eating a vegan chocolate bar when I went to see Sherlock Holmes with some friends.

For dinner I had an Amy's Asian stir fry meal, and water. Oh and I also had a cup of organic coffee during the day. I know my diet is terrible.

Today I also slept in, but only missed church, not the gym!

I ate brunch at Etho's, which was too too much! Ended up getting their biscuits and gravy, and coffee, and my mistake was I also got a cinnamon roll which really didn't settle well in my stomach, not sure why. Maybe I'm not having as much sugar as I thought I was.

So after my two buses to the gym I took Step at 1pm. It was awesome, and I always feel better after talking to my friend that instructs the class. Not sure why he just puts things into perspective for me. Then at 3pm we did Body Pump, and I went as heavy as I usually do. My heaviest weight was squats when I used a 45 pound barbell. The heaviest I've ever gone for squats in Body Pump was 55 a few times, so I'm working my way back up to it. Chest and back were 25, and 30lbs. So I feel like I had a decent workout today.