Most influential Books you've read

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

Re: Most influential Books you've read

#166 Postby Fallen_Horse » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 pm

joelbct wrote:....
Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris' books had a lasting impact.

Hopefully you haven't become too militant :P
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

joelbct
Manatee

#167 Postby joelbct » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:12 pm

KarakD. wrote:Hopefully you haven't become too militant :P

What's too militant? I don't know claim to know with certainty what the actual ultimate nature of the universe is, if such a concept has any validity... I just meant to say I like those authors' works, and I appreciate their perspective and arguments. Let's just say especially as a Vegan, living in the USA at this point in time, I have a special place in my heart for a reasonably argued, well-constructed contrarian viewpoint on just about any issue....

robert
Site Admin

#168 Postby robert » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:58 am

I like all three of those names. All three are heroes to me in their own ways. Harris is probably my favorite but I don't like is weak argument for not being vegan (in his fairly recent Ask Sam Harris Anything #1 video). I don't like Dawkins' argument either, seen in the video interview with Peter Singer.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

joelbct
Manatee

#169 Postby joelbct » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:13 am

robert wrote:I like all three of those names. All three are heroes to me in their own ways. Harris is probably my favorite but I don't like is weak argument for not being vegan (in his fairly recent Ask Sam Harris Anything #1 video). I don't like Dawkins' argument either, seen in the video interview with Peter Singer.

I am now reading Harris' The Moral Landscape, which argues that facts, reason, science, and the concept of well-being are the proper basis for morality, as opposed to liberal moral relativism or conservative religious "morality."

I am only a few chapters in, but Harris does often mention the well-being off conscious creatures, not just of humans. I suspect that he is just trying to pick his battles by not focusing more on animals.

In any case, to a thinking vegan, these 3 are quite important, especially in the USA, because the "biblical" argument in favor of eating animals is sadly so pervasive.

Read Harris' books and you will have plenty of reasoned, thoughtful points to make as to why this religious justification for the status quo is mistaken and quite harmful.

joelbct
Manatee

#170 Postby joelbct » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:19 am

KarakD. wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:The Story of Stuff:How Our Obsession with Stuff Is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health - and a Vision for Change
http://www.amazon.com/Story-Stuff-Obsession-Communities-Health/dp/143912566X

OOOooo! I like that one. Thanks for the link.

I read this not too long ago, Shiny Objects, Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy.

Yeah, level of saturation-advertising, materialism, and consumer culture in this country is scary... but I still like my stuff, in moderation :/

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

#171 Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:13 pm

joelbct wrote:
KarakD. wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:The Story of Stuff:How Our Obsession with Stuff Is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and Our Health - and a Vision for Change
http://www.amazon.com/Story-Stuff-Obsession-Communities-Health/dp/143912566X

OOOooo! I like that one. Thanks for the link.

I read this not too long ago, Shiny Objects, Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy.

Yeah, level of saturation-advertising, materialism, and consumer culture in this country is scary... but I still like my stuff, in moderation :/

Looks good, but I can't find it at the library yet! :(
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

BlueStorm
Rabbit

#172 Postby BlueStorm » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:49 am

This is the first book that got me introduced to vegan and new foods:

Gillian McKeith: You are what you eat ( the cookbook too )
Also Love :
Change your life, Change your world by Ryuho Okawa
and
Inspired Destiny by John.F. Demartini

:heart:
How am I going to live today, in order to create the tomorrow I am committed to? ~ Anthony Robbins

Jamessina
Rabbit

#173 Postby Jamessina » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 am

'The Alchemist' is one of the most influential and inspiring books I've read. It takes two reads to first comprehend the simplistic writing and wrap your head around the concept, but for me it was the secret to love and life- be on your own journey, but inspire your partner and be inspired by them. yet never give up your goals/dreams/aspirations.

xo
jamessina
Jamessina
www.parttimevegan.com
twitter.com/parttimevegan
facebook.com/parttimevegan

Be. Your. Best. Self
#fuelgood

darcy
Rabbit

#174 Postby darcy » Thu May 03, 2012 9:53 am

I do a lot of reading, primarily non-fiction, but 'Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid' by Douglas Hofstadter stands out as easily the most influential book I've read. I've read through it twice now and enjoyed it just as much, if not more, the second time around.
I strongly recommend it if you have a passion for mathematics, computer science, and/or cognitive science... or if you just really want to feel a sense of accomplishment after having read through it (it's a significant commitment).
Hofstadter is vegan, too... if I recall correctly, in one of his other books, 'I am a Strange Loop', he explains his reasoning behind having made the choice and it echoes my thinking exactly.

darcy
Rabbit

#175 Postby darcy » Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 am

joelbct wrote:Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris' books had a lasting impact.

Also, this.
It was really a shame when Hitchens passed. I very much enjoyed reading his work and watching him debate.

shula
Finch

#176 Postby shula » Tue May 08, 2012 8:15 am

I read serious books like Bach and Eco, but if you'd ask me how many times I've reread Harry Potter...
Don't laugh, I just fond of it.

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#177 Postby C.O. » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Here is an interesting one, because healthy definitely includes mental health. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067170 ... 0671708821

Sorry to plug amazon, they aren't my favorite of comanies but it had a solid description and reviews.

BudzianTT
Finch

#178 Postby BudzianTT » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:03 am

Judge & Jury - James Patterson, Andrew Gross

C.O.
VBB Moderator

#179 Postby C.O. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Had a discussion recently with Robert on "Must have been something I ate" by Peggy long greek name hahaha. I really enjoyed the book and found tons of great info and love how it was presented. I like how she went about it like start by adding these foods rather than by dieting and cutting things out to get started. I also liked how she listed what foods were what sources of nutrients, and what those do for the body. And ways to cook them.
If I was going to be critical I would say the writing style is a little juvenile, too many OMG's and things like that for my taste. Also its not a vegan book or even a vegetarian book. If you are looking for something specific to that this is not the one. However the majority of the book does cover plant based foods.

-Dylan

SMcVicker91
Rabbit

#180 Postby SMcVicker91 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Never read an entire book pertaining to veganism, but articles/excerpts/speeches by gary l. francione made me realize i'm vegan.

Non-vegan related, the most inspirational book for me and my favorite is The Alchemist.

Return to “General Discussion”