Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Matts Workout Journal
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 pm 
Manatee

Blenders

After reading all the positive reviews on Vitamix blenders I thought I need one, I could make my smoothies, soups and anything else I wanted. When I got to the store I watched the demonstration and was sold, well that was up until the point that they told me the price!!
I did check the Vitamix website and saw they do sometimes have reconditioned units that come with a 7 year guarantee, but to me on my budget it was still too much.
I looked around and I found what looked like a fairly good blender at a reasonable price, but then I remember the valuable lesson I learnt as a kid which was “if you buy cheap, you by twice”.

Well I like the gamble and I bought the Ninja Professional Blender for $99, it has a 1000W motor which is great, 3 separate blades in a way I have never seen before in a blender and its dish washer safe (but I have found that as soon as you have finished using the blender fill it ¾ full with warm water and blitz it for a few seconds and that cleans it really good)

It has no problem crushing ice, soup come out really smooth and I love watching it rip through anything you put in it.

I know there is another Ninja for $199.99 which comes with attachments to make dough etc, but this is something that I don’t need.

So if anyone is looking for a decent blender at a reasonable price this one is worth checking out, I have attached a link below so you can check it out.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/8/KitchenBath/2/Appliances/Blenders/PRD~0432189P/Ninja+Professional+Blender.jsp?locale=en

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.-Arnold Schwarzenegger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:05 pm 
Manatee

Day 8

Just finished my Chest & Bicep workout and I feel amazing, really good workout where I beat all my set goals for the day. Before each workout I look at the previous week and aim to get at least one more rep or increase the weight, this way I know I am always improving.
All reps were performed with great technique the only problem was by the end of the workout my face was bright red like a beetroot, this is normally caused by pushing myself in the gym or eating my pre workout meal without leaving enough time before I workout.
Today I think it was a bit of both so tomorrow I plan to eat at least half an hour before workout.
Tried my homemade protein bar today which was my pre workout meal and it was really good and alot cheaper than the ones in the shop.

Will post my workout and nutrition as soon as I get home.

Feeling great, but think I am ready for a nap but best get ready for work.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.-Arnold Schwarzenegger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:54 pm 
Manatee

I have attached my workout and nutrition for today,
Started: 2.05pm
Finished: 2.55pm

Total Gym Time: 50Min

I finished my workout off with some stretches including Supermans and Chest stretches.

Attachments:
File comment: Nutrition
Nutrition.JPG
Nutrition.JPG [ 49.19 KiB | Viewed 1843 times ]
File comment: Chest & Biceps
Chest Biceps.JPG
Chest Biceps.JPG [ 27.03 KiB | Viewed 1845 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 pm 
Manatee

Day 8: Back

10 Min warm up on Elliptical Trainer

DB Pullover:
12 x 35lbs, 10 x 50lbs, 10 x 65lbs
Increase next week up to 70lbs

Close Grip Pulldown:
12 x 85lbs, 8 x 140lbs
This was tough, will stay at this weight and try and improve on reps

DB Row:
12 x 30lbs, 9 x 55lbs
Great – go up to 60lbs

Wide Cable Row:
12 x 55lbs, 9 x 100lbs
Stay at this weight until I hit 10 reps

Barbell Deadlift Fixed Bar:
12 x 50lbs, 12 x 90lbs
Felt really good, will move up to using an Olympic bar instead of fixed weight bars

Obliques/Side Crunches:
12, 10, 8 each side

Stretches:
Chest stretches as my chest was so sore and tight from yesterdays workout, plus a few pilates/yoga moves to stretch out my body.

Start: 3.15pm
Finish: 4.10pm
Time: 55 mins

Awesome workout feel great!!!

Nutrition
Breakfast: 8AM
Homemade Protein Smoothie

Lunch: 11AM
Tofu, mixed beans and veg

Pre Workout: 2PM
Homemade Protein Bar

Post Workout: 3.45PM
Protein Shake and Banana

Dinner: 6PM
Sweet potato, Tempeh, avocado and salad

Snack: 9PM
Protein Shake, Rice Cakes and Peanut Butter

Calories: 2326
Fat: 58.9
Protein: 169
Carbs: 283

4 Litres of Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:00 pm 
Manatee

Day 9: Cardio

So far so good this week, all my workouts going as planned and i feel stronger than ever, all my lifts seem to beat the previous week which spurs me on to keep going. Cant get enough of the gym at the moment, think its partly to do with keeping my workouts short it keeps the hunger there to keep me going back. I find if i spend to long in the gym, anything over an hour i lose focus and feel tired the next day.
Easy start for the day for me just relaxing, going to head to the gym soon for my cardio session and a good bit of stretching as i am feeling quite sore from my two workouts this week, then off to work.

Nutrition so far today

Will have my homemade pre workout bar soon, which i cant get enough of. So much cheaper than buying ones from the shop and they taste great too.

Notes:
Switched my protein powder from Vega to Vegans Protein+ by Genine Health (partly because it was on offer at my local store), loving the taste of it and it was nearly half the price of the Vega.
I would definately give it a try if your looking for a protein powder.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 am 
Manatee

Cardio
Treadmill

20 Min High Intensity Interval Training
Consists of 4 cycles, increasing speed every minute then start again and on last loop go all out as fast as you can for 1 minute.

Start at Mph: 3.4
Fastest Mph: 8.4
0.5% Incline
Distance 1.86 Miles

This was my toughest run so far, i really felt it tough on my breathing. It was i great challenge but i did it and i was so happy, i think i will push myself and try to start at 3.5 and the fastest level of 8.5.

I spent 20 mins stretching after my run

Homemade Protein Bar

Protein Shake and Banana

Protein Shake, 3 Rice Cakes and Peanut Butter

4 Litres of Water

Feel a bit down today, not sure if my calories are enough for my workouts and work but i am going to keep it the same for a few more weeks and see if i feel like this again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 pm 
Manatee

Due to the fact that i have started getting a bit more hungry i have decided to do a higher calorie day, so every fourth day i will up it by nearly 500 calories. I tried to do a plan qickly last night before bed and i only managed to increase it by nearly 300 calories but as long as i know how mch i am eating.
Will give this a go and see what happens.

Extra Calorie Day

Homemade Protein Smoothie with extra oats & O.J.

Tofu, mixed beans, veg and banana

Homemade Protein Bar

Protein Shake and Banana

Extra Sweet potato, Tempeh, avocado and salad

Protein Shake, 4 Rice Cakes and Peanut Butter

Calories: 2592
Fat: 60.7
Protein: 175.2
Carbs: 337

Just checked back over my monthly goals and it looks like i already reached two of them, i know one was the Leg Press. Maybe for next month i should aim a bit higher, i think i did well to reach most of them and be on track to reach the others by the end of the month but for February i want to aim high to push myself to achieve even greater results.

Feel so much better today then yesterday and i think its down to a good nights sleep.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:14 am 
Manatee

Delts & Traps

Hammer Strength Shoulder Press:
12 x 50lbs, 10 x 90lbs, 6+2 x 140lbs

DB Side Lateral Raise:
10 x 10lbs, 9 ½ x 17.5lbs
Go up to 20lbs

Low Pulley Raise:
11 x 10lbs
Try 15lbs next week

Reverse Flyes-Machine:
12 x 40lbs, 11 x 70lbs
GO up to 85lbs

Tricep Pushdown:
12 x 35lbs, 13 x 50lbs
Go p to 57.5lbs

Lying Tricep Etension:
10 x 30lbs, 9 x 50lbs

Seated Overhead Tricep Press:
12 x 30lbs, 6 x 50lbs

Plank:
1min, 1min, 35secs

Stretches:
Stretch all body, definitely needs it

Notes:
Awesome workout really enjoyed working shoulders today, unfortnately i couldn't beat shoulder press from last time but not to worry i WILL beat it next week. All other exercises i got at least another rep.
Feeling good and not felt hungry today after having a few hundred extra calories.
Camt wait to take photo this weekend to see if there is any change, i know its still early but any change just gets me even more motivated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:11 am 
Manatee

Legs
10 mins warm up elliptical trainer

Started with 5 – 10 mins of Active Leg stretches

Leg Extension:
12 x 70lbs, 10 x 85lbs, 11 x 130lbs
Up to 145lbs next week

45 Leg Press:
12 x 110lbs, 10 x 160lbs, 11 x 200lbs
Really happy with this, great technique and can go for 220lbs

Squats (Should have been but could not get on squat rack, so used different leg press):
12 x 100lbs, 10 x 145lbs, 7 x 175lbs

Stiff Leg Deadlift:
12 x 50lbs, 12 x 110lbs
Need to get an Olympic Barbell next week

Calf Extension:
10 x 70lbs, (Rest, pause – 12 x 100lbs, 11 x 100lbs 9 x100lbs)
Go up on this

Seated Calf Press:
10 x 90lbs, 7 x 140lbs

Torso Twists:
20, 20, 20

Stretches:
Leg stretches
Started 2.45pm
Finished 3.45pm Total:- 1 hour

Nutrition

Homemade Protein Bar

Protein Shake and Banana

4 Litres of Water

Calves were pumped today, great workout and really enjoyed it today. Only problem was that i struggled to muscle my way onto the squat rack as they were taken by day dreamers and people who spend longer doing squats then i spend in the gym. I'll muscle my way onto squat rack next week for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:25 am 
Manatee

Cardio
Treadmill

20 Min High Intensity Interval Training
Consists of 4 cycles, increasing speed every minute then start again and on last loop go all out as fast as you can for 1 minute.

Start at Mph: 3.5
Fastest Mph: 8.5
Distance : 1.9 Miles

Next cardio session go for 3.6 – 8.6, felt great the run today. I felt like I had really challenged myself but I know I can always do better so I will up it again next time.

Stretches:
Mainly for legs as my hamstrings felt tight.

Nutrition

Homemade Protein Bar

Protein Shake and Banana

3.5 Litres of Water, need to drink more especially after my run

Photos and measurements to follow shortly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:13 am 
Manatee

I have attached my new photo, left is start and on the right is end of week two.
Looks like i have lost some weight from around my waist which i have, kind of getting impatient and expecting more.
I have to remember it will take time and keep going!!

Attachments:
Start Week 2.JPG
Start Week 2.JPG [ 23.27 KiB | Viewed 1818 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:42 am 
Rabbit

your protein bars look delicious!!
Sounds like you are doing great!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:37 pm 
Manatee

Thanks for the post, the bars taste even better than they look, well they do to me anyway. I just played around with the ingredients to fit in with my macros, so if you want more or less carbs you can increase/decrease the quantity of oats.
The dates and peanut butter make it nice and chewy and you cant really taste the pumpkin protein powder in it (i dont really like the taste of the pumpkin powder if i have it as a shake), going to try some news bars tonight substituting some of the pumpkin powder with a chocolate protein powder see how it tastes.
Also i make 3 bars at a time and they last ok in the fridge for a few days.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:39 pm 
Manatee

If anyone is interested in another challenge i have just signed up for the Skip La Cour Mass Machine challenge. It is free to enter you just have to keep a journal like we do on here.
There are prizes to be won and it can help with motivation please check out the link below.

Thanks

Matt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b5T75Ci8Zw&feature=related

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:40 pm 
Rabbit

Wow, nice you will have to let me know how the others turn out. I like dates but am a bit fussy when they are used in some things. I will have to try em. I have never heard or seen pumpkin protein powder!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next