Jamessina's Training Journal

Happy New Year, to you, to me. Let the training begin!

January 1st

Food: Ate poorly for breakfast, bagel with tofutti and tomato and leftover homemade marble cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World- but hydrated often through noon and had one green tea.

Completed a quick workout as children are waking up from their nap soon! Just got the New Balance Minimus sneakers and they are insanely amazing.

Warm up run, 800 meters

Warm up: 15 pushups, 30 hollow rocks, 20 overhead squats, 10 shoulder mobility exercises, 10 crossover hamstring stretches

Workout: 3 Rounds of: 5 handstand pushups, 10 pushups, 15 squats in 3min51seconds

Will continue to rampage through our cleaning the house today, which burns tons of my empty cupcake calories from entertaining last night!

xo

jamessina

Breakfast: Homemade hemp protein energy bar, and homemade applesauce muffin

Mid morning: Green tea

Lunch: Pad Thai with tofu and 1/2 cup quinoa

Water all day long

Training:

Warmup- 500 m row, stretches, 25 overhead squats, 25 hollow rocks, 25 v ups, 15 pullups

Training: 21-15-9, deadlift(75lbs), handstand pushups (+2) for time

Bfast just some green tea and fruit followed by coconut water.

Warmup: 500 m row, stretches, 50 hollow rocks, 50 tuck-ups, 50 sit-ups and 3 rounds of 5 pullups/10 pushups/15 squats

Training: The dreaded Fran of Crossfit: 21-15-9 of thrusters (50 and then 45 pounds) and pull-ups in 5:50

Feeling strong and healthy today! 8AM class tomorrow, more pull-ups!

Tuesday Jan 10 workout Training

500 m row

stretches

50 hollow rocks

50 Vups

50 situps

10 pullups

20 pushup rotations

TABATA, 8 rounds, 20 seconds each of every exercise

Squats

Row machine

pullups

situps

pushups

tough workout, my stamina was truly tested after resting Sunday and Monday!

Edited by Jamessina

Wednesday January 11th Workout

Training:

500 m row

50 hollow rocks

stretches

pullups

20 pushups with rotation

2 minutes double under (attempts!)

2 minutes situps

90 second double under (attempts!)

90 second situps

60 second double under (attempts!)

60 second situps

30 second double under (attempts!)

30 second situps

Double Unders are one exercise I have not mastered nor really focused on, but I tried my best, Need some further form/function training on this exercise. My abs are sore this week though from all the abs!

Thursday January 12th Workout

Gymnastics Night at Crossfit Revenge

warmup was with the group, arm circles small to large

arm crossovers

trunk twists

bootstraps

50 hollow rocks

20 v-ups

20 pike pushups

10 pullups

basi introduction to Muscle-Ups, worked on rings on my knees, then with a band under my tush to help push me up for about 15 minutes.

Workout:

10! Handstand Pushups/V-Ups

10,10, 9, 9, 8, 8. . .etc down to 1, 1 of each for time

THURSDAY started my trial of Vega Sport- used the pre-workout energizer at 7:40PM and began my workout at 8. Used the Recovery Accelerator afterwards at 9:30. I probably wouldn't use it again at night, but I feel great this morning, little soreness in my shoulders.

Hey you mentioned cross fit a few times in your training. I'm curious, are there a lot of people that you know in the cross fit community that are doing the paleo diet? I have talked to a few different people that have been serious into cross fit and they were all doing that. Actually dating a girl that was doing cross fit and the paleo diet and I read a book on the diet. It didn't really sound too healthy to me, the diet that is.

Thoughts?

-Dylan

Hi Dylan~ I am a crossfitter on Long Island, between 5-6 times a week. I haven't been a part of the regular gym for 7 months. Absolutely love Crossfit! Technically, the Crossfit diet is based on the Zone Diet. It is heavy on blocks of food, however I haven't gotten into that part of the program. I do know some who do mostly paleo, though. While I am vegan, I think the Paleo diet fundamentals makes sense- based on hunter/gatherers, it is high in nutrients and low in processed ingredients. But I don't agree that protein needs to be center stage at every meal, in fact I think its acidic. None of our ancestors had THAT much access to animal ingredients at every meal, so I think its definitely been altered to be suitable for the SAD (Standard American Diet). And I don't think it's completely accurate.

AND

Workout for today

Row 800 m

stretches

50 hollow rocks

25 situps

15 pike pushups

10 pullups

Workout:

As many rounds as possible of the following in 20 straight minutes:

3 pullups

3 dips (used level 1 band)

4 handstand pushups

8 kettlebell swings (35 lbs)

Total: 17 rounds

*Have been using Vega for two days- ate a protein bar as a snack before lunch around 12PM and then had the recovery shake after the workout. Had a recovery drink after working out last night and never had a stronger workout than today. Pullups were perfected and dips were my best yet. Impressed with Vega Sport!!

Edited by Jamessina

Thanks Robert! I love this training journaling- first time I've done it!

Today I rested from a heavy training and did light abs/core. Legs feel a bit sore today- had Vega Electrolyte Hydrator today and an amazing roasted root vegetable dish for dinner with sautéed swiss chard.

50 hollow rocks

20 V Ups

15 Pushups

2 (30 second) planks

15 handstand pushups

Exhaustion has set in after a stressful day at work, and arrive home to complete the second half of my day. Training was very light, and was whatever I could fit in at home.

Spending the evening preparing quinoa, energy bars and wild rice for the next couple of days which will also be busy. Hoping to get to either a 9PM workout tonight or a 6AM tomorrow morning.

50 hollow rocks was all I could fit in today

2012 goal: Muscle-ups

Working on getting off the band for dips and perfecting my pushup. I will get those muscle ups before the summer!

Had little time to eat today, and only had fajita veggies, avocado and water/green tea during the day, and a salad of romaine, tomato and onions with falafel for dinner. Feeling less hydrated today and need tons of fruits tomorrow. Preparation is key, and I didn't have it today. The longer I write, the more inspired I am to get my butt to the 9PM tonight.

xo

UPDATE: I went to the 9pm class! TABATA with holds in between:

8 rounds, 20 seconds each, with 10 second hold in between

Squats

Chin above the bar

Pushups, chest to mat

Pullups

Bonus round: hollow rocks

Had vega Pre workout energizer before, and both recovery drink and shake afterwards. Was truly my stronger workout yet.

Edited by Jamessina

With the inspiration of a 9pm workout the night before, I went to an 8pm class on Wednesday evening.

Warmup:

1000m row

Situps

Pushups with rotation

Leg swings

Pullups

Workout- and this one was nuts-

2 cumulative minutes of l-hold position on parallels

20 cleans (55lbs for me)

40 burpees

30 toes to bar

20 pullups

15 minutes to complete, otherwise burpees on the minute. I completed in 14:35

The recovery shakes have been incredible for me. No soreness the day after. Stronger than ever on my pullups, very exciting!

How irritating is it when work gets in the way of your workouts?

I have run out of my incredible Vega Sport sampler and will be going ONLINE this weekend to buy more recovery shakes and pre workout energizers. They made an incredible difference in my workouts and recovery. The two major workouts this week were my strongest yet. Looking forward to an 8AM WOD tomorrow, Saturday.

Had a hemp protein/blueberry/carob/flaxseed/date energy bar this morning and a banana, and had an awesome 'white quinoa salad' atop mesclun greens for lunch with a carrot, apple, ginger, lemon and kale juice. Dinner, made fresh homemade black bean burgers with steamed kale and peas mixed in. Roasted cauliflower with nothing but the produce and a spinach salad with some balsamic vinegar. Our children adore 'burger night' so this was a success.

As for my training today, had a short amount of time early am to get in the following:

50 Hollow rocks and 10 pushups to jumpstart my day, which hasn't yet ended. . .

I dont know how I lost count this week- For the record! I posted twice for Tuesdays workout, so hopefully that will cover my 5 posts this week!

Saturday January 21 training

I went big to start the weekend off!

Had fruit salad and green tea for breakfast.

Warmup

500 m row

stretches, shoulder mobility

50 situps

20 pushups

15 pullups

Training

8 rounds of:

10 kettlebell swings (35 lbs)

10 lunges with 25 lb overhead

11 clapping pushups (modified to getting my body off the ground in full pushup position each time)

15:39 was time.

Awesome workout, crippling!!

I pulled a muscle under my arm, through my left chest, feels like a shooting pain when I exhale deeply or cough. Resting today from heavy training.

50 hollow rocks

25 leg lifts

shoulder mobility stretches

banana, green tea for breakfast

hummus, mesclun greens and balsamic on pita for lunch

mint tea in afternoon

water all day

chickpeas, onions, peppers, avocado, peas , 3 small plates, for dinner.

back to training tomorrow. need to find a good stretch or solution for this pain.

The soreness is still there, the thought of pull-ups and pushups is daunting.

Therefore, I simply did my 50 hollow rocks, 25 leg lifts and 25 v-ups today.

Food was great- fruit and green tea for breakfast, hummus and mesclun greens on pita for lunch with a smoothie and dinner was 1/2 cup quinoa with roasted root vegetables dish the star on my plate. Mint tea for evening and hydrated all day.

Back to the box tomorrow, think it's time to actually ASK my trainer what he thinks is the issue with my pain in the arm.

Another 14 hour work day ending right now- training was not a part of the day today, but my stretches were. Shoulder starting to feel a little better with the rest, still some tightness near my collar bone and neck definitely needs some massaging to work out the kinks.

30 hollow rocks and 15 pushups is what I could muster up in exhaustion from a day of nonstop meetings. Had a great vegan lunch but ruined it with a trip to a vegan bakery. Back on track after this hellish work week concludes itself!

Go figure, the last week of the journaling challenge I find myself swamped in 14 hour days, and while we all have the time, I choose to sleep when I can these past four days so to rebuild before the next long houred day.

Today's training, at home again:

stretches

15 pushups

50 hollow rocks

25 v-ups

50 handstand pushups

At my fair share of kale today- had a gorgeous veggie dinner- roasted cauliflower, grilled onions and peppers, atop a bed of kale with baked baby red potatoes. Lunch was a power house salad of spinach, kale, shredded carrots, sun dried tomatoes and radishes with Dr. Praeger's burger on top. Had a raw revolution chocolate cashew bar for late afternoon snack.

My saturday will be a work event all day, so more in-home training. Definitely need more down time in the next week.

I hope this can count for Saturday- I have had the craziest week if we are following from last Saturday until now.

Saturday was an all day work event, however, I did do yard work which was great for my arms and shoulders!

I wrapped up the day with 50 hollow rocks, 15 pushups and 50 handstand pushups. It's simple to do at home and kept my heart rate up.

Finally, Monday!

40 hollow rocks and 10 pushups in the AM.

Got to the gym at noon, so had crossfit for lunch.

did the animal warmup- bear crawls, crab walks, inchworm pushups, the length of the box. Followed by 10 strict chin ups and 10 dips using a level red band, back squats with the PVC bar to warm up and shoulder mobility front and reverse.

Workout was fast, had to get back to work:

60 box jumps on a 24" box

30 Snatch Balances with 15 lbs

got my heart rate up and felt good!

Dinner was a pasta with steamed veggies and spinach, fresh tomatoes warmed and mixed in. Lunch was rice and beans leftover from homemade tortilla night at our house last night.

Looking forward to a nice, real workout tomorrow!

Hey Jamessina! Great job with your journaling! I'm one of the VB&F team members, and we got your email request to have your journal reviewed for eligiblity. We'll be shipping out prize packages beginning mid-month! Great job! Hope you'll stick around the forum and continue to post and be a valuable member of this online community!

All the best,

Karen