Call it a comeback! RC is Back!

robert

Karen, the Broncos are fun to watch. I have to give them that! And their "leader" is so driven to succeed. I admire that about him quite a bit.

Steve, that is a great quote! Thanks!

I didn't intend to list the weights I use in my exercises since this return to training could also be called "rehab" as I rehabilitate myself after multiple injuries. But it was requested that I list weights, so I am. I know it confuses people and they wonder why I'm only lifting fairly light amounts based on what would be expected, but that's what I've got right now. I still work very hard in the gym. I just don't have the size and strength I once had.

Working my way back! Call it a comeback. RC is back and crushing it, day by day, getting closer to where I'm headed. Having fun too!

Hope all is great.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I'm going to be exploring a variety of treatments soon, to keep me going injury-free while dealing with current soreness.

1/9/12

Today I shipped out a ton of orders and still have some prizes to ship out but I'm working on it day and night. I'm staying real busy these days! After I went to the post office, I went to the gym.

Today's workout:

Warm-up - 15 minutes on the stair stepper

Bodyweight squats

Standing Barbell Overhead Press

45lbs x 20

45lbs x 20

65lbs x 15

75lbs x 10

85lbs x 6

85lbs x 6

Dumbbell Shrugs

80's (160lbs) x 20

90's (180lbs) x 12

100's (200lbs) x 12

105's (210lbs) x 12

105's (210lbs) x 12

105's (210lbs) x 12

Pull-ups

Wide-grip

Narrow-grip

Hyperextensions for lower back

For the most part, these lifts were all heavier or in the case of pull-ups, more reps, than the same workout I had last week.

I had Vega pre-workout energy drink before and during the workout, Vega Protein after the workout and then a bunch of high calorie foods.

Right now I'm still hammering away at my super high calorie dinner of organic whole wheat pasta, Daiya vegan cheese, refried beans, olives, Ezekiel bread and organic greens.

Back to work. I have a lot of stuff to do, including posting a new contest with new prizes, preparing a bunch of packages to ship and the usual online work.

Have a great night!

Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day and I'll be out of town as well.

RC

1/11/12

Wow! There were about 150 journals updated between my last post just a little more than 24 hours ago, and this one, including hundreds of total posts!

You're all awesome! Loving the dedication!

I had a pretty epic day of training in this journey to make a comeback. I'll get right to it.

I went to a large 24 Hour Fitness gym in Portland and saw some forum members there, totally randomly. For my workout during the mid-day I spent 30 minutes on the stair stepper and then spent 30 minutes combined in the steamroom, sauna and hot tub. I'm focusing a lot on heat treatments and helping my back out these days. The stair stepper also helps my heart, lungs and brings out some nice leg definition too.

For my second workout I went over to Plant Fit Vegan Fitness studio owned and operated by Champion Vegan Bodybuilder Ed Bauer. I had about 5 forum members there and we had a great workout made up of compound lifts.

Warm-up

Rowing machine for 15 minutes

Bodyweight squats, lunges and other warm-up kicks and and stretches.

Deadlifts

Most recently I've only lifted up to 173lbs for 3 reps and last week only 135lbs for reps. I'm easing my way back into this exercise. With a bunch of our forum members and long-time vegan bodybuilding friends there, I took it up a notch.

Warm-up sets of Deadlifts

95lbs x 15

95lbs x 15

95lbs x 15

Working sets for Deadlifts

135lbs x 10

135lbs x 10

155lbs x 10

185lbs x 10

205lbs x 4

235lbs x 1

I felt like I could have done more reps but I didn't want to push my back too hard after so many reps and a great increase in weight compared to other lifts. I attempted 1 more set at 185lbs but after 1 rep decided to stop there and move on.

My best ever is 337lbs for 5 reps for deadlifts, so 235lbs after a matter of weeks returning to lifting felt pretty good. No back issues either, aside from must general fatigue from so many reps and sets.

Hang Cleans (no squat or pretty, just cleans)

95lbs x 8

95lbs x 8

95lbs x 10

95lbs x 8

95lbs x 10

Some of the other guys pulled 380lbs in deadlifts and did heavy front squats as well. I was the weakling of the group and the entire group became friends years ago through my website from my initial leadership. It's actually not only very humbling but in a way, very pleasing to me to become the student after so many years of leading the way. I'm so happy to see some of my friends I met through Vegan Bodybuilding go on to do great things, build great physiques, great strength, compete in various sports and carry the torch, spreading the word.

Awesome day of training today!

Back to work now. Getting up earlier than usual tomorrow.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/393188_2853203243318_1056650054_2987295_1099896199_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/409405_2853204363346_1056650054_2987298_998211039_n.jpg

1/12/12

Today was a rest day. I was only on 4-5 hours of sleep and had a busy and somewhat stressful day so I took the day off. I didn't have soreness from yesterday's tough deadlift session at all. I feel really good, just sleepy. Which is why I'm not sure why I'm still up at 1AM. I just don't like to go to sleep. I enjoy it when it happens, I just don't like taking the time to fall asleep. I just wish I could work until passing out and wake up and start working again. But there's the whole winding down part, lying there, trying to fall asleep.

Well, I should get to it.

Back in the gym tomorrow.

RC

1/13/12

Thanks Steve! I honestly don't know which ones I'll be at. I'm slowing down to focus on writing, training, and not traveling as much. I think I'll be at the Seattle VegFest in March, Austin VegFest in March, possibly the Chicago VegFest, possibly Chicago Vegan Mania, likely Portland and Toronto and maybe another one. Last year I hit up about 10-12 VegFests, so this year is about half of that and maybe even far less. We'll see. I'm hoping VeganProteins.com will hit the road in my absence representing both Vega and Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness brands under their own umbrella. Hope that works out.

Today I had another epic day of shipping and in my own little comeback to lifting, another epic day in the gym. Nothing too special, and certainly not heavy weights being lifted by most people's standard, but I was proud of my efforts since I pushed it hard, lifted more than I have all year (as in all of the last 12 months I've been injured and sidelined) in these lifts, and feel really good about it.

Today's workout:

Warm-up - 15 min on Stair Climber

Bodyweight squats

Invisible jump rope

150 jumps

150 jumps

200 jumps

Again, lots of stretching and loosening up and nearly half an hour before touching any weights. Keeping myself injury-free if I can!

Barbell Squats

45lbs x 20

45lbs x 20

89lbs x 15

133lbs x 10

153lbs x 8

173lbs x 3

133lbs x 12

Again, using weights listed in kilos so the pounds look like funny numbers. I just don't trust my lower back as much as I wish I could, especially during squats. I'm gaining more trust while doing deadlifts but still not a lot of trust while squatting. It just doesn't feel quite right and I feel like it could collapse anytime, as it has at least a dozen times in my decade of training. So I'm taking it easy, working my way back up, mostly staying pretty light.

Walking Dumbbell Lunges

35's (70lbs) x 27 steps

40's (80lbs) x 35 steps

50's (100lbs) x 22 steps

60's (120lbs) x 16 steps

70's (140lbs) x 12 steps

This is about double the weight I used last week and have used up until this point over the past year. My psoas/abdominal injury kept me from doing lunges for a while, but now it is fun to be back and carrying fairly heavy dumbbells while keeping full range of motion.

I had a nice big dinner of greens, Gardiein tofu, and refried beans when I got home, followed by some fruit. I got a bunch of yams, Yukon Gold potatoes, beans, greens and other foods today so I should be able to continue bulking up. I'm still quite light at the moment, barely over 170lbs, which is about 20 pounds lighter than what I weighed on this day a year ago before hurting myself.

Working my way back.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

-Robert

Awesome, I am excited that you are going to come to at least one Chicago event. I have talked with the guys over at VP and I am hoping to meet them out on the road at a couple more stops. I am hoping that they can get to Chicago this year.

The workouts look great, I know that you are working hard, and that you are really trying to put forth the best effort. As always good luck, and I can't wait to see what you have in store.

Steve

1/14/12

Thanks, Steve! Everything is always up in the air with me. I never know exactly where I'm going to be any given day It even changes daily sometimes and often weekly. Really hoping to slow down when I get to TX but I know myself well enough to know I'll likely still be out on the open road quite often.

Today's workout for Shoulders and Back:

Warm-up

Stair climber for 15 minutes

Bodyweight squats

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press (I have been doing standing overhead barbell press but wasn't lifting more than 89 pounds so I opted for dumbbells to try to move more weight today).

30's (60lbs) x 20

30's (60lbs) x 20

40's (80lbs) x 10

40's (80lbs) x 10

50's (100lbs) x 9

60's (120lbs) x 4 - Super set shrugs 60's x 12

55's (110lbs) x 6 - Super set shrugs 55's x 20

Pull-ups

Wide grip

Narrow grip

Dumbbell Shrugs

85's (170lbs) x 15

90's (180lbs) x 12

100's (200lbs) x 12

105's (210lbs) x 10

105's (210lbs) x 10

100's (200lbs) x 10

As the workout was winding down I tossed in the following:

Dumbbell Lateral Raises

12.5's x 15

17.5's x 12

Dumbbell Front Raises

12.5's x 15

17.5's x 12

After the workout was completed I rode the stationary bike and watched the 2nd half of a college basketball game for 40 minutes.

I had 2 Vega Sport Protein drinks after the workout, and another one while on the bike

Solid workout today. Numbers continue to go up as I get back into the swing of things in the gym.

When I got home I had potatoes, yams, beans and a bit of fruit. I'll eat more before bed too. I'm spending some solid time in the gym, eating a pretty good amount of food and as soon as I wind down at night, trying to get some good sleep too.

Have a wonderful weekend!

-Robert

1/15/12

Thanks Joe! Hope all is great with you!

Today's workout

I had a nice breakthrough today! As you all know by now I've been sidelined for about a year with my chest injury I sustained in March of 2011. I haven't had a single chest workout in the past 10 months, aside from some push-ups a few months ago over the summer to test it out.

Today I did 4 sets of push-ups with lots of stretching and massage work over my pecs. I didn't do very many, sets of 10, 15 and up to 20, but it's a start. Hopefully I can start training my chest with weights in the next couple of months.

Since I'm on this compound lift schedule, I only have about 3 routines that I do and train about 4 days a week, so one routine gets hit twice while others about once per week. My routine doesn't involve chest and I don't do any isolated movements, so today I decided to toss in a day of isolated movements for triceps in addition to my ab workout. I hit biceps pretty well with pull-up and bent-over rows but triceps don't get too much action aside from minimally in some shoulder presses.

Here is how today's abdominals and triceps workout went. It was exactly 90 minutes in total:

Warm-up: 20 minutes on the Stair Master

Abdominal Crunches

Left side Abdominal Crunches

Right side Abdominal Crunches

Invisible Jump Rope

150 jumps

150 jumps

150 jumps

Hanging Leg Raises

Push-ups

Two Arm Dumbbell Overhead Triceps Extensions

65lbs x 12

70lbs x 12

75lbs x 10

80lbs x 8

85lbs x 6

90lbs x 4

75lbs x 8

Plank

30 seconds (about half the time kareno can do them) - well done kareno!

30 seconds

30 seconds

That's it. Lots of sets, lots of ab work, some good stretching and all done in 90 minutes.

It was nice to train both Saturday and Sunday too. I'm beginning to feel like a little bit of an athlete again and my weights continue to go up.

This is day 15 of our New You for the New Year Challenge, exactly halfway through, and my lifts are a lot heavier than when I started. I was even in the gym for a solid 2 months working on my comeback before this challenge, but now that I'm recording things and staying accountable, I'm choosing the best exercises I can do based on my current and lingering injuries, and I'm making progress day after day, week after week.

This is fun!

RC

Glad you're having fun again in the gym! That's what I used to tell people when I worked at agym. If you don't find some sort of workout that you really enjoy you won't stick with it. Workouts in my honest opinion have to be enjoyable and fun, or you will keep finding excuses to not do them.

1/16/12

Thanks everyone!

Again, very pleased to see that it has been less than 24 hours since the latest post in my journal, yet more than 100 journals were updated between then and now and I found mine on page 2

Love the consistency and hard work so many of you are displaying here! It is very inspiring!

Today was a rest day.

I ran a bunch of errands. You know, getting a haircut, oil change for the car before my big half-way across the US trip beginning next week, and some food shopping.

Eating blueberries right now.

Have a great week!

We're halfway through this challenge. Hope it is going great for you!

Thanks Karen,

Yep! You're kicking my butt on the planks! We can have a plank-off soon!

Nice rest day today. Just did some chores around the house, should probably start packing soon, and got a bit of computer work done too.

Was up until 4AM last night, hope to get to bed earlier since I have an earlier than usual start tomorrow and a pretty long day. Gym, class with Jordan, driving to Portland and of course, my usual computer work and outreach.

I'm enjoying the fact that I seem to be getting stronger workout after workout. Big Thanks to Derek for inspiring me to make a return to compound lifts exclusively!

1/17/12

Awesome! Again, less than 24 hours after my last post and there were 99 journals updated more recently than mine. Looks like over 100 people will complete our challenge, achieving and being rewarded for their consistency. Great stuff!

Today's workout:

I met up my friend Jordan, whom I've known since pre-school and whom was the individual introducing me to bodybuilding back in the late 90's.

After I attended his World Religion Class at Oregon State University (today's class was an introduction to Hinduism) we hit the gym.

Warm-up

35 minutes on the stair climber (much longer than usual, as I was waiting for Jordan to arrive)

Bodyweight squats

Deadlifts

89lbs x 15

133lbs x 12

183lbs x 4

203lbs x 4

173lbs x 4

213lbs x 4

238lbs x 1 (this beat last workout's heaviest lift by 3 pounds - my heaviest deadlift since before injured)

Bent-over rows

89lbs x 15

109lbs x 12

129lbs x 10

149lbs x 6

159lbs x 6

129lbs x 10

109lbs x 10

89lbs x 15

I decided to pyramid down, something I haven't done in a long time, maybe a year or two. I just didn't want to keep too much heavy weight on my lower back after all those deadlifts so after hitting 159lbs, I tapered back down.

Lower back hyperextensions

I was at the gym for a total of about 100 minutes, including the 35 minutes of stair stepping cardiovascular warm-up.

I came home and had some middle eastern food with broccoli and I'll going to have some potatoes and yams after I shower.

Good lifting day. Nice to be increasing numbers in all exercises workout after workout. Hoping to stay injury-free and I should be able to make a successful return to the bodybuilding stage! Perhaps as early as late summer of 2012.

We'll see. Taking it a day at a time, stretching a lot, staying focused and motivated and using a lot of Vega products. I'm confident I'll succeed if I can maintain this focus and dedication.

All the best!

RC

1/18/12

Thanks Steve!

Today's workout:

Warm-up: 15 min on stair climber

Bodyweight squats

Seated Dumbbell Overhead Press

20's (40lbs) x 30 - warm-up set

30's (60lbs) x 20 - warm-up set

40's (80lbs) x 15

50's (100lbs) x 10 - Super set with same weight for shrugs x 20

60's (120lbs) x 4 - Super set with same weight for shrugs x 20

55's (110lbs) x 3 - Super set with same weight for shrugs x 20

45's (90lbs) x 10

Pull-ups

Wide

Narrow

Dumbbell Shrugs

90's (180lbs) x 12

95's (190lbs) x 12

100's (200lbs) x 12

105's (210lbs) x 12

100's (200lbs) x 12

Push-ups

Today was only the second time I've done push-ups, or anything for chest in months. I'm making a slow return to it. It felt OK, no injury-soreness necessarily, but I did get tired after only 15! haha!

I honestly don't know what I weigh. I was startled when we started this New You for the New Year Challenge and I was 169-171lbs. That is 20 pounds less than I was a year ago. I've been hitting it really hard the past 18 days, and the previous 6 weeks before starting this challenge. Today was the first day I actually "looked" pumped. I always train in sweatpants, sweatshirt and a knit cap, and most of my workouts are lower body or total body and I don't get a good "pump" but rather, I train and exhaust the muscles by lifting heavy in compound lifts. Today after an upper body workout and doing those push-ups, I noticed quite a good "pump" for the first time in many months. I showered at the gym and was honestly surprised when I took my shirt off and pump was in full effect I actually started to look (and feel) like a bodybuilder again, though I know in reality, I'm still in the low 170's and far from where I was or where I want to be. It was just a good feeling, that's all. Happy to be able to do "something" for my chest, even if it's just a few push-ups for now.

Hope you all had a great day!

I hammered tons of Vega today, a whole bunch of organic whole wheat pasta, broccoli, avocados, a pile of fruit, nuts, beans, etc. Working on eating and training my way back to a return to bodybuilding!

I leave in 6 days for a trip in my car halfway across the US. I plan to train all along the way.

RC