Hello From Missouri

HxC_Nismo

Hi my name is Hans, I lived a struggling life of being heavy ever since my mother passed away when i was 6 years old from cancer. I use to indulge in food for comfort and ease, I also use to struggle with bi-polar disorder, asthma, hypertension, manic depressant, high blood preassure, high cholestrol, obesity, joint pains, back pains, dandruff, peeling skin on my feet, bad breath, high stress levels, acne, oily skin, and sensitive teeth. I literly tried every diet in the book and never lost weight and also dam near went insane from them. I played sports as a kid and thru freshman year in high school. I dropped out of football in high school cause I thought money was more important then my health. When I was 18 years old I was introduced to the vegan lifestyle, but it was mostly for animal rights, and I was never told the health reasons behind it and how the western meat/dairy eating diet was the cause of all my issues with health. I was only vegan for 6 months (not really since I cheated alot) at that time mainly cause I was forced to by my roomates at that time. So it I eventually went back to my old diet. I went to college weighing in at 290lbs, when I graduated i was at 315lbs. Then for the next 6 years I ate whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted, but my lifestyle caught up with me and I peaked at 345lbs. My lifestyle ruined my marriage not only from my physical self, but also from my mental imbalance I struggled with for most of my life. I started to realize that its time for change. So first I saw a couple of Documentaries one Food inc., then Food Matters and it motivated me to adopt an organic diet (still consisted of animal based foods). I also joined the gym and I did drop weight but all my other issues with energy and the list above was still an issue. So like any other uneducated american i looked at supplements to help, but they didnt help as much as I wanted plus the side effects were too much for me. So then I dug further into nutrition and came accross Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and I started juicing and I lost more weight and was starting to feel better, then I came across Forks over Knifes and after watching that I decided to Go Vegan starting the next day. This was August of 2011 and I started to actually heal all my issues, and was losing weight and gaining muscle. I now can say that I will be on this whole food plant based diet for life, Im never going back. As of today I weight in at 230lbs (-115lbs wieght loss) and Im stronger then ever and healtheir all around. I am now 27 years old, and I literly looke like Im 23 years old again. My goal weight is 195-205lbs and be cut. Ive been at the worst and I now strive to be the best, and to be inspirational to the people in my community to bring awareness of the flaws of the american western diet.

Wow what an inspirational story. You make me feel like a pansy that I can't stick to my diet and exorcize regiment! Forks over Knives is an excellent film. I am trying to get everyone I know to watch it. It even helped my stubborn carnivore father to give vegetarian 1 day a week a try. Doesn't sound like much but that's actually huge for him. I hope you post a fitness journal here in the forum. It will help me and others stop being so lazy. I mean, damn you lost 115 lbs, that's incredible.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here as another motivator for the rest of us!

-Dylan

well what really converted me was back in 2007 my 6'3" 205lb father had a heart attack and the doctors put stints in his artieries and told him to quit smoking and caffiene, but never did they once tell him that he needed to adopt a plant based diet to help cure him. So my father literly took a crap ton of pointless/useless heart medication that just had horrible side effects. At this time I was around 330lbs and I ate the same diet as my father did. In December of 2009 I unfortunatly found my father dead in his bed due to another heart attack and I broke Down hardcore, I then decided to move back to southern california with my wife at the time and I lived out there and thats when I adopted a organic foods diet to help better my wife and I health. After spending hundred even thousands of dollars on organic animal based foods, we felt a little better but something still felt off to me. Well after about 9 months in california we were struggling financially so we opted to move back to missouri and buy a house, which we did. About 2 weeks after we moved into our new home to start our family, we had complications and decided to get divorced. I then fell into my deppression and had sucidal thoughts and I could not literly eat for about a week and i dropped 20lbs (unhealthy). So to help me get my depressed mind busy again, I decided to join the gym and try to get back into shape. I dropped another 15lbs but on pretty much a 1200 calorie crash diet which I hated. Then I came across Joe Cross' documentary Fat, Sick And Nearly Dead, and it inspired me to go on a juice fast to cleanse and lose weight. I did the fast for about two weeks and dropped down to 270lbs, and I was doing this not even relizing I was pretty much vegan that whole time lol. I then saw forks over knifes and it gave me the ammo to refuse consuming any animal based foods so I was able to fight the addiction of meat and dairy. I then started to notive Mass Improvements after about a month and the fat just started melting away, and I no longer counted calories and Freelee the author of 30 bannanas a day really helped me understand calories and carbs and our countries way of dieting has been so wrong from the get go. Thats why so many americans struggle with weight cause there destroying the metabolism with these strict crash diets thats pretty much starving them. I now can say Im a morning person, I no longer need any caffiene what so ever, I now work out 5 days a week for 2 hours a day. I also can run a full mile with out stopping, which is a first for me EVER in my life and I actually run a mile 8:49 now which Is my life best lol. I now adopted the Engine 2 Diet and I cut out added oils and processed foods, and Im on a Whole Food Plant Based diet now for the past week and I now eat 3000 calories a day and I still lose weight and Im starting to deffinitly see vascilarity, deffinition and High energy levels. My blood preassure is now 65/105 and my cholestrol is now 127 and I have yet to get any kind of headache, or any health issues that I used to fight alot in the past. I literly feel like I have woke up from a bad dream and I NOW FEEL MORE ALIVE AND CONNECTED BACK TO MOTHER EARTH MORE THEN EVER. My body is loving me for this and my immune system is insanly good, and my brain feels like its alot more clear and focused more then ever, I feel more intelligent then ever. So I strongly suggest getting your ducks in a row and change your eating habbits and be able to live A long healthy, pain free, sick free, and stay looking youthful all the way into your 70's and 80's. Just remember Real Men Eat Plants.

Also I love to do vegan outreach mainly because if I would of known what I know now about nutrition, I could of literly save my fathers life. So I try to outreach to people to help save them and there loved ones, because it sucked going thru what I did, and I dont want to see anyone suffer like me. So dont be scared reach out to anyone and everyone and bring awareness to the people, and save our earth from pollution and save the people from diet caused sicknesses and suffering of the need for drugs to help them with the sickness.

Welcome Hans!

Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your weight loss success! That is awesome! Great films you referenced as well.

So awesome to have you here! I'm looking forward to following your journey as you continue down this amazing road to great levels of health and fitness.

Congrats on the mile running too!

All the best!

-Robert

hey thanks Robert, I am currently reading your book right now. I am learning so much more, and Im so greatful that there are people out there like you that helps make this so much easier for people like me. You my freind are a great person. I have been doing vegan outreach and I have been taking your advise that you give in your book and Im really getting alot of people in my gym, my friends, and even random people I come across during the day.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks buddy I am currently training 4 days a week now and I have been cutting but my muscle weight has increased while my body fat% has dropped. So Im going to replace my lunch and dinner with fresh green juice from my juicer to help me detox anything bad in my system and also help me drop body fat.

my juice consist of...

1 bunch of Kale

1 inch of ginger root

1 bunch of parsley

4 sticks of celery

3 sticks of carrots

1 cuccumber

1 lemon

1 orange

Me at 345lbs waste 46 and XXL Shirt in November 2010

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/73950_496854385347_651970347_7051415_7001221_n.jpg Im the one on the right with the black shirt and tan shorts.

heres me 1-5-2012 230lbs waiste 34 M-L Shirt

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/382953_10150499094817970_798267969_8660124_27455871_n.jpg

I need to post up more recent pics but I have not got a chance

• 6 months later...