HSOrlandos 2013 Journal: Being vegan in a non vegan world

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight I worked out at an intensity I didn't know I had in me! First I took a 45 minute Spin class, and then I hobbled into a 55 minute cardio strength class. Lets just say I looked quite funny. My legs wouldn't let me jump very high, and I could barely get through the jumping jacks for the warmup in cardio strength. Here I thought the tri club coach was a hard Spin instructor, but my friend can teach one hell of a Spin class even though he's not into Spinning. Back to the workout,the 2nd class was part cardio with jumps, and plyometrics, and the other parts were strength using a barbell, and free weights. I guess due to the lactic acid build up from Spin my legs were not listening to what I wanted to do. I stayed for the entire class though, and tomorrow I am just going to do Step, but not Body Pump. Since I don't have the time to run outside in the morning I want to do as many cardio workouts at the gym as possible, and for me I get pushed that much harder when its a group exercise class. I know the results are happening, I just wish I could see them already!

Today I was a crazy lunatic trying to get to my workout in time. Let me explain. I got to the bus station, and the bus hadn't come by 510pm, my workout started at 530pm, so I decided not to continue waiting for the bus, so I power walked very fast to the gym. About half way there I realized my actions were a little bizarre, since it was only one Step workout, and only 55 minutes long, so if I missed 10 minutes I was only getting a 45 minute cardio workout. But I decided not to listen to that voice that said I was acting crazy, and I got to the gym right after the warm-up was over. So I in fact probably had 2 workouts tonight, power walking in like 15 minutes to the gym, and my 50 minute Step workout.

I am sure when I show up for Spin tomorrow the instructor will just shake his head and mention something about recovery. I was planning on tomorrow being a rest day, but I will not be able to get to the YMCA Thursday, or Friday, so I have to go tomorrow. My quads are not happy, and I am sure they will tell me all about it tomorrow!

Wednesday: Spin class 45 minutes, also not the instructor i thought it would be so I didn't get kicked out, lol.

I was tired though, and not too motivated but I did at least get in another 45 minute cardio session. Today, and tomorrow I am using for rest days. Will do my best to not eat badly too. Wish my weight would start going down. I'm feeling more toned but the scale hates me! Off to math class!

Thursday- Rest day

Friday- rest day

Saturday- Spin class 45 minutes: After the class I was texting a thank you to the instructor, and he commented that he could see how serious I was working by the expression on my face. I'm surprised he could keep a straight face! I did have a really good workout though, and I think I am finally getting used to the new Spin bikes. It was a very intense workout, but worth every drop of sweat!

So this week I have completed a total of 7 different workouts.

Step- 55 minute cardio based class- harder than it looks-1pm!

Body Pump- 55 minute strength edurance barbell class-3pm

The workout was great but then all hell broke loose or so it seemed at least for me.

I though I was getting a ride and doing something after the gym, bcause neither I nor my ride want to listen to football all afternoon, but as usual it was mass confusion so now I am taking the bus

.I would take some nice calming yoga breaths but I prefer not to smell everything on the bus!

Had to skip the 45 minute Spin workout so I could go to the math center and clear up a few points I didn't quite get. Tomorow isn't looking good for the gym eiither because of things beyond my control. But I am still hoping to squeeze in a Step workout at least. Will have to wait and see what happens though.

This week has been crazy!

Tuesday: Didn't get to the gym because my brother came to town for a court thing having to do with his relocating, and the whole divorce thing. So got picked up from college, and we went to Chipotle with a family friend, the same person I'm renting a room from. I got a vegetarian bowl filled with black beans, yes they are vegetarian, guacamole, lettuce tomato, brown rice, cucumber, and more guacamole.

Wednesday: Very odd day- The court thing took about ten minutes total after they called my brother and his lawyer. So after that I ended up at Downtown Disney for 3 hours or more with my brother and family friend. Got dropped off at the gym, and all of a sudden exhaustion just hit me! Maybe it was being outside for so long but I was just wiped. I wasn't hungry though, so I bought a sports drink because I needed something to get me going. Then I took a Body Pump class, but didn't go too heavy because I wanted to be ready for my Spin class that my friend was instructing.

That was a very long 45 minute workout, and I wore myself out even more! But I was very happy with my attempt.

So far my workouts total 4 this week, but I'm still working on it.

After school took the bus to the gym expecting a Step class, but didn't get it. The YMCA was PACKED they had tables w/ different companies, and it was a mad house. They also had a special group excercise schedule to sample classes. No Step, instead I tried two different dance classes. Did Zumba for 30 minutes, and then only stayed for about 10 minutes of a dance class that I just didn't like. I have no rhythm, plain and simple, I am very white! Didn't do weights because I did a full workout in yesterdays Body Pump class. So after 40 minutes I left the gym. At least I did something.

Like I said previously this week was insane! I'm glad I got to the gym as much as I did even though it wasn't as much as I would have liked.

Friday I didn't get a workouo because I had a class at 6, and had to get there by bus.

Today I worked three hours in the morning, and then walked to the Y.

I didn't have a planned workout I just knew I had to go do something, but I didn't want to do cardio, so I didn't! Instead I attacked the free weight room, and worked chest and biceps.

lbs/reps

Bench press:

10lbs-20 reps

15lbs-15reps

20-12reps

25-8

35-8

bicep curls (standing)

5lblb-20 reps

8lb-15 reps

10lbs -12 reps

12- 10

15-8

Incline press

12-20

15-15

15-12

20-8

20-8

hammer curls (seated)

5-20

8lbs- lost track but over 15

10-12

12-10

15-8

Pec flys

5-20

8-15

10-12

12-10

12-10

wide bicep curls (standing)

5-20

8-15

10-12

12-10

12-10

Not a great workout but it took about an hour I think, and it was fun. And I grunted a bit too! lol

Today I went to the gym, and did my usual routine of Step, and Body Pump. Same old same old I know. After I briefly talked to the instructor about never increasing weight, I decided to go for it. It wasn't a lot, but for the squat track I increased to a 50lb barbell. At the end of the rather long track I need some help getting it off my shoulders. After the bicep track I was in the mood for the Rocky movies, any clue as to why that might be?

Well that's about it for now. I am seeing spots so I'd better get some rest.

Ok I admit last week I slacked off more than I wanted to at the gym. I don't know why but last week was very hard on me, and I only found myself at the gym twice, but I got in 2 double workout which I guess kind of equals four in a way. I didn't do it on purpose, I so wanted to get in my training sessions, but it didn't happen.

Today I had an awesome week, and last week is now behind me.

Step-55 minutes @1pm

Body Pump-55minutes @2pm

I think my goal for February besides continuing at the gym, is to make sure I drink more water. Not sure why but getting enough water continues to be an issue for me. I imagine that's why my head hurts sometimes because I'm dehydrated, which is not good when you workout.

No workout today because I have to study for my first math test, which is tomorrow, so I'm heading to the math center on campus.

Last night I did get to a health food store in my area, and bought some food, which included fruit, soy milk, cereal, soups, vegetarian chili, vegan hotdogs, etc.

You said the rice pudding at Maoz was so-so. How about the falafel was that any good there? I'm new to NYC so always looking for suggestions.

Also nice work with your journal. You have been one of the most active with it and they as a whole have really been getting people working together on this forum! You qualify for a prize package for sure. Give Robert a little time to get it out to you he's driving all over the place but you definitely have one coming.

Hope to see you continue to share you journal here with the group.

-Dylan

The falafel was well a falafel, pretty tasty, a good size, and well that's about all I can think to say about falafels!

I have been extremely busy this past month, that's why I haven't been posting. I also haven't gotten to the gym as much as I should have. But that's in the past and now I'm back on track. I have had some really good workouts, and I do feel like I'm starting to make some progress with toning up. I am not weighing myself because the scale lies, and makes me feel bad. But I know I am making progress, and tonight I did see it. I don't generally look in the mirror after my shower but tonight I did and I could tell that I'm getting more definition in my back, and even in my abs. So I will keep up my efforts at the gym, and I know it's paying off.

Here's a breakdown of some of my workouts the past few weeks.

last week- Sunday- Step, and Body Pump, Monday- Spin, Tuesday- Step, BP, that's it for the week.

week before- Sunday- Step, BP, Mon-X, Tues- Step, BP, Sat- Spin

Like I said I haven't been getting to the gym as much, but I'm going to do better. Especially after I get my Vega!

Tonight was an amazing workout, like all workouts should be!

Step was a lot of fun, and good cardio, and Body Pump, wow!

In Body Pump we had push ups not for one, nor two, but for three tracks! During chest, triceps, and shoulders, we did lots of push ups, Yeah! Not really!

Tomorrow I think will be a rest day, and Thursday will probably be a Step/strength workout.

• 5 months later...

ITS BEEN WAY TOO LONG, SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!! Last post was February 21st, yikes. I've been busy? Is that a viable excuse. I will try to catch you all up on my fitness endeavors, and vegan endeavors since the end of February.

At the beginning of March I was lucky enough to go on the vegan cruise with Robert, and 2 other people he knew. Anyway I wasn't so sure about the food in the beginning, RC can vouch for that. But I came away from the lectures, cooking demos, heavy macrobiotic influence, minus the fish, having learned a lot in a course of a week. I was most impressed with Christina Pirello, from Christina Cooks, and Dr. Neal Barnard, from PCRM. For me that week of eating really, really healthy food was almost like a detox of sorts. Not that I'm eating that way now, but it was a lesson that I could if I really wanted, and had a cook! lol.

So the rest of March, and April, was spent finishing up the Spring semester, and dealing with taking the bus everyday, which took away from how often I could work out. But looking back I did pretty well, and still got in 4-5 workouts a week.

After the Spring semsster ended, in late April I contemplated taking the Summer semester off because I was frazzled and stressed out, but in the end decided to just take two online courses instead.

The Summer session began in early May, and I started seriously looking for apartments closer to downtown Orlando. On June 1st I visited Boston, and on June 4 I got notice that I was approved for a downtown apartment. Yeah!!!

Moved in June 16, and been going full force to the gym since. On average I now do anywhere from 9-10 group exercise classes a week, and I have also incorporated running back into my weekly routine. I know I'm getting more toned, and smaller because my veganbodybuilding shirts that I got years ago fit quite nicely once more!

I restarted running when my Psychology course had an assignment to incorporate a new activity, I picked running, and of course use psychology to back up what you're thinking, learning etc. Lots of psychoanalyzation involved with running!

For the past month thios is pretty much what my workouts look like.

Sunday-Step-55 minutes, Bodypump-55 minutes, studio cycling 60 minutes

Monday-rest day

Tuesday -Run in the morning,-Step-55 minutes, Bodypump 55 minutes

Wednesday- Studio cycling- 45 minutes

Thursday- step/strength class-55 minutes

Friday- Bodypump 55 minutes

Saturday Run, beginner yoga

I also ride my bike a lot now since I live by myself and don't always want to walk, and I don't take the bus very much, so even when I don't go to the gym I'm still doing something.

Not sure if I can keep this schedule going when the fall semester begins at the end of August, but I'm going to try!

The only thing that's new with my routine is that there is an Olympic challenge/competition at my gym. If you do so many "different" activities that are listed you get a dry wick t shirt, which I desperately need when I run in the Florida heat. It's also a good way to get people used to cross training, and doing more than one activity.

i don't have that problem though because I already do various things at the gym, that work the muscles in different ways, and challenge me too. For instance Step class uses lateral motions, whereas running is a different kind of motion, and then I do cycling, and yoga, and Bodypump. Anyway I signed up for the challenge, and tomorrow instead of running outside i will run on the treadmill, which i never use anymore, and add another sticker to my list of different exercises. Then I will have six, and will be halfway there. Next week I will probably go for a swim, and use an elliptical, and add two more. I have until the 21st of August to complete this, and the activities only have to be for 20 minutes, but who knows maybe I will find something new that I love.

So far I have completed 7 of the challenges/workouts for the contest, at my gym. I figure I'd enter because I can get a nice workout shirt, and change my workouts a bit.

I have done, Studio cycling, cardio strength/Bodypump, yoga, elliptical w/arms, running, upright bike, and recumbent bike.

The other five activities that I plan on accomplishing are: running on the treadmill, elliptical w/out arms, swimming, weight circuit, getting reset on their fitlinx machines, and possibly basketball, AMT cardio machine, and rowing machine.

This week my work out has and will look like this:

Sunday- Step, Bodypump, studio cycling (55 minute classes)

Monday- rest day,

Tuesday- ran about 2.5 miles before work,

after work- rode upright bike for 35 minutes and watched womens volleyball, Step, and Bodypump

Wednesday- studio cycling 45 minutes,

Thurday- woke up early for me, and went to beginners yoga at 730am,

(Before Step used the elliptical w/arms for 20 minutes while watching Olympics)

Step/strength class after work- was very exhausted and at one point really didn't know if I could finish the class. It wasn't incredibly difficult so I'm thinking of dropping this class, and changing my workout a bit so i get more rest. Felt a lot of fatigue during class, and I think i might be overdoing the cardio a bit

Friday-rest day

Saturday- run on treadmill before yoga, will try to work on increasing speed, beginners yoga

actually went back to the YMCA later, and ran on the treadmill because I slept in and didn't have time before yoga. Ran 3.1 in 40 minutes, not too terrible since I'm slowly getting back into running.

Not to mention that on Tuesday-Friday I rode my bike to/from work which equals to about 3 miles a day

Sunday I was super sore from running fast on the treadmill. Most of the time I ran at 5.0, but several times I increased it to over 6.0, and at one point went to 7.0, which felt FAST! Of course then I had to decrease it a lot and get my breathing back to normal, hence my 40 minute time.

So back to my extreme soreness. All I can say is that I powered through and still did my three workouts. Oh besides that I probably walked 2-3 niles that morning from my place to Starbucks, to church, and then to the Y. Then after my workout back home. So had a completely exhausting day, and no food at the house so then I had to ride my bike to a nearby cafe that has vegan food, and vegan peanut butter brownies. Yum!

Monday- rest day, except for riding bike, and going to grocery store after work.

Tuesday- ran around Lake Eola, and went 3.7 miles today, my furthest distance in a long time. Of course what goes up must come down, and I had a nice up close and personal visit to the sidewalk. Scraped my elbow, and finally found a first aid kit at the gym that had bandaids big enough. Later on I have Step, and Boypump- more to come!

I just have to share a really funny dream I had a few weeks ago. i had a dream where I weighed myself and the scale said I was 117 pounds! In real life i would like to get down to 130, but with the way I'm shaped, my muscles, and liking to eat I have no idea what my weight should be. Haven't weighed myself in months, and don't really want to. But the dream was funny, and who knows maybe one day?

• 3 months later...

How is the training going? Have you completed that olympic challenge?

Scales don't matter. If you like how your body looks and feels that is what you should go by not a number on a scale. I think its great that you haven't weighed yourself in a long time. Also I think your dream about your weight is funny.

I am currently in a competition with my gf I have to gain 150% of what she is able to lose to win. The holidays are giving me a huge advantage but I want to gain via muscle weight not fat so its an interesting challenge. Like I said before I am anti scale but, I am very competitive and its a way to measure our silly but motivational bet. Something more for you to laugh at, I thought i'd share.

-Dylan