How can I improve my workout regimen?

tclayton

I do this 3x a week, every other day. I definitely feel I'm always getting stronger but am I going about it the right way? I don't want to spend more than 3 days a week at the gym but am there about 1.5-2 hours when I go. This is what I do every time in order (generally):

Dumbbell Curls 3 8-12 (Hammer then Supine)

Bench Press 4 2-12 (depending on weight) (weights go 155, 175, 185, 200 for max out)

Bench Press Incline 2 5-8

Bench Press Decline 2 5-8

Smith Machine Shrugs with barbell 3 10-12

Squats 2 10-12

Leg Press 2-3 12

Rows 2-3 12

either Pull Ups/Dips or Rope pull downs and pull ups

After all that I do some dumbbell circuits

Biceps, Triceps, Chest, Shoulders, Forearms

Am I doing way too much each time I go to the gym? Would I see the same gain if I did this 2x a week instead of 3? I don't really have an overall idea or goal for a physique, just like to work out. Also I am new, glad to be here!

Looks decent. I would add in some dead lifts and possibly split your workouts to one upper body, one lower body, and then arms/calves/abs on the third day.

Seems a lot of people favor dead lifts, squats, etc. Will check some youtuve video for proper dumbbell dead lift technique. As to the splits may try that out as well. Thanks for your suggestions!

Looks decent. I would add in some dead lifts and possibly split your workouts to one upper body, one lower body, and then arms/calves/abs on the third day.

Seems a lot of people favor dead lifts, squats, etc. Will check some youtuve video for proper dumbbell dead lift technique. As to the splits may try that out as well. Thanks for your suggestions!

just find someone experienced to show you proper deadlifting. Don't hurt yourself like most people do

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't really tried the full body workout approach, but have found working 2 muscle groups a day, 3 days a week to be pretty effective.

My routine has usually gone something like this:

Day 1: Chest and Triceps

Bench Press (DB or BB)

Incline Bench (DB or BB)

Decline Bench (DB or BB)

Dips

Skullcrushers

Cable Pushdowns

Day 2: Back/Biceps

Deadlifts

Barbell Rows or Seated Rows

Lat Pulldowns or Pull Ups (Vary Grips)

Curls (BB or DB)

Reverse Cable Curls

Day 3: Legs/Shoulders

Squats

Leg Press

Leg Curls

Leg Extensions

Barbell or Smith Machine Shoulder Press

Barbell or Smith Machine Shrugs

DB Lat or Front Raises

Squats and deadlifts are super important because they work a whole range of muscles and strengthen your core. Do make sure you are using proper form to get the most out of your exercise and avoid injury.

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble with most people is that they think they need to do something for everything...These people are not good to listen to.

The fact is a compound lift coupled with 2-3 assistances will get the job done.

I don't understand why you feel the need to do three benching angles in one session. If this workout is what you do three days a week, then why are you benching so much, In fact why are you doing the same thing 3 times a week? Besides legs which can handle more volume your not giving anything a chance to recover. I'm not seeing a pressing movement at all? Shoulders should not be an after thought & put in with a dumbbell circuit, Military press man! No one will care you can do side raises or front raises with a 25lb dumbbell, overhead pressing 180lb however is impressive.

Also do not replace flat bench barbell with dumbbells. It's about getting more out of each workout eg squats are always gonna be better than a leg press...You also do not need hammer the biceps. I hardly touch mine & have gotten more growth by working on my back more.

Check out builtfit.com they have plenty of strength/muscle building routines for a 3 day split.

All the best mate