Yeti Log: AKA Run Beard Man, Run!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after over a month of no weightlifting I am back at it. I wrecked my camper in Illinois after another attempt at van dwelling late October. Needless to say I am through, and now back in San Diego after being stranded there for a month. Looking for my own apartment. Today I returned to the gym and all went well. The accident gave me a new perspective on life and changed me. Though I have dropped size, surprisingly I came out of the gate really strong, REALLY strong.

I quit drinking coffee, and eating at non-vegan establishments. I'm also eating more raw foods, and cycling foods better.

My diet is pretty loose, but still follows the general structure I am fond of.

Breakfast:

Few slices of sprouted bread with nut butter and tea and soymilk

Post workout:

Mix of pea/rice/hemp/soy protein, a few bananas, some flax seed and/or coconut oil/shreds

Lunch:

Half a cup or so of raw oat groats or buckwheat groats blended with berries, bananas, or apples

Dinner:

A cup or so of legumes or beans

A cup of brown rice or quinoa

A cup of steamed veggies

Maybe a bit of olive oil

Cup of soymilk

Snack:

Mix of pea/rice/hemp/soy protein, a few bananas, some flax seed and/or coconut oil/shreds, creatine

My new routine will follow my old one, except I will be doing high rep one week, low rep the next. Basically for one week my back day might look like this at about 80% 1RM

Pullups 4x8

Deadlifts 5x3

2x Rows 5x5 and 4x8

Chinup Burnouts 3x5-8

And the next week may look like this with 70-75% of my 1 RM

Pullups 4x failure

Deadlifts 3x failure

1x Rows 4x failure

Chinups 4x failure

Today was a structured low rep day

Pullups +25lbs 4x8x8x8x8

Deadlifts 235lbs x5x5x5x5 (I got carried away, I was having fun)

DB Rows 2x80lbs x8x8x8x7

Smith Rows 135lbs x8x8x7x7

Chinup burnouts 3x-

As you can see, I have come back pretty strong. I am pleased.

11-27-11 Chest/Triceps

DB Bench Press 140lbs x5x5 (Couldn't get it past the bottom) 130lbs x5x5x5

BB Bench Press 165lbs x5x5x5x5x5

Weighted Dips +60lbs x8x8x7x6

Sore, going to curl up in the fetal position. Also, we are celebrating Thanksgiving today. I've single handedly eaten my tester pumpkin pie. omnom.

I kind of jacked up my wrist so I skipped shoulders to give it more time to heal and did legs instead. Felt strain around my ostomy on front squats, but it didn't feel dangerous. Also weighed in today, I've already rebounded up to 141lbs, nearly 3lbs gained back in 1 week. Win. Should be 145 in another week or so.

11-30-11 Legs

Front Squats 170lbs x5x5x5x5x5 -> 175lbs

Machine Leg Press 390lbs x8x8 400lbs x8x8x8 -> 410lbs These felt way too easy so I did an extra set till I entered jell-o mode.

DB Stiff Leg Deadlifts 150lbs x8x8x8x8 ->160lbs

Seated Calf Raises 205lbs x10x10x10x10-> Stay

Difficult to walk, going downtown today and gonna try and convince my sis to get to Lovin Hut for burgers. (:

12-2-11 Back/Biceps

Weighted Pullups +30lbs x5x5x5 +35lbs x5x5 ->35lbs

Rack Deadlifts 250lbs x5x5x5x5x5 -> 260lbs Too easy, should have added more weight, but meh.

DB Rows 2x90lbs x5x5x5x5x5 -> 2x95lbs

EZ Bar Rows 145lbs x8x8x7x6 -> 150lbs

Super Setted With

Chinup Burnouts +15lbs x8x8x7x5 -> Stay

I was pretty burnt out by the end. Weight is up to 145 now.

12-4-11 Chest/Triceps

BB Bench Press 190lbs x5 185lbs x5x4x3x2 +4 Negatives ->Stay 185lbs

Quasi Incline DB Bench Press 120lbs x5x4x2 110lbs x5x5x5 -> Stay 120lbs

Weighted Dips +60lbs x5x5x5 55lbs x5x3 ->+60lbs Stay

Sucks, I lost so much off my bench press, and chest in general. Blech. I need to brace my wrists. They're suffering under the load of bench presses and heavy dips. I think that might help with 5-10lbs.

• 1 month later...

Well I am not dead. I have just taken a prolonged hiatus while I moved and sorted myself out. Since I do not drive anymore and I am so far from a gym, and am now forced to pay fr gym membership, I've decided to invest in my own iron and work on a truncated routine using only bodyweight+, dumbbells and eventually an easy bar.

Thus so far I have purchased 150lbs of olympic plates, Golds Gym Wal-Mart brand, cast iron is cast iron, I am not paying over 1 dollar per lb. I still need 2 more 5lb plates and 4 more 2.5lb plates plus 4 micro 1.25lb plates or some chain lengths. for a total of 175lbs of iron.

I also bought two Olympic dumbbell handles that weigh 13lbs ea. I also purchased a multi function no mar door jam chinup/pullup bar I can also use for body weight rows, I can also use it with my suspension straps as an improvised cable machine. I need some foam floor mats too so I don't damage the tile floors here.

My next purchase will be an EZ Olympic curling bar. No space or need for a long bar. And 25-50lbs more iron.

The iron is kind of rough around the edges from being cast, but I have a good file in my tool box I can grind all the rough edges down with.

My new routine looks like this:

Sunday: Chest/Triceps 2 Minutes Rest

Weighted Pushups 3x10

Dummbell Floor Presses 3x12

Dips 3x10

Flat Floor Flys 4x12

Triceps Kickbacks 4x12

Monday: Sprints: 30 Minutes: 30 Second Sprint 1 Min Walk

Tuesday: Shoulders 2 Min Rest

Weighted Body Weight Handstand Wall Pushups 3x0

Dummbell Shoulder Presses 3x12

Dummbell Upright Rows 3x10

Dummbell Side Raises 4x12

Dummbell Bent Over Flys 4x12

Dummbell Shrugs 4x12

Wednesday: Legs 3 Min Rest

Dummbell Lunges 3x10

Dummbell/Box Squats/Hack Squats/One Legged Squats 3x10

Stiff Legged Deadlifts 3x12

One Legged Calf Raises 4x15

Double Legged Calf Raises 4x15

Thursday: Sprints: 30 Minutes: 30 Second Sprint 1 Min Walk

Friday: Back/Biceps 2 Min Rest

Weighted Pullups 3x10

Weighted Body Weight Row 3x10

One Arm Rows 3x10

Dummbell Deadlifts 3x10

Chinups 3x10

Bicep Curls 4x12

Saturday: Sprints: 30 Minutes: 30 Second Sprint 1 Min Walk

For now I've just been sprinting, will get my iron next week.

Got my iron in today. 150lbs. 4x25's, 4x10's, and 2x5's. They came odd so I ordered 2x more 5's, and 4x2.5's. I will be going to Lowe's with my scale to get some 1/2lb micro weights made of chain, 8 to be exact.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8016/dscn3011y.jpg

My dumbbell handles aren't in, nor is my multi function no mar chinup/pullup bar. I'm deciding if I want to buy an EZ curl bar and two 45s, but I think I need a weight tree first, plus some mats to protect my floor. I need to go find a medical walker to do my dips on too.

200lbs is going to be perfect for me being limited to only dumbbells and body weight+

My diet is boring, same thing day after day. But I like it, it's healthy. Here's what I eat.

1/4 Loaf Sprouted Bread

1/2 Bag Frozen Veggies

2c Soymilk

1/2-1 Tbsp Olive Oil

3 Tbsp Flaxseed

120g Rice or 140g Pasta, dry

1c Beans or Legumes, or 1/2 Block of Tofu (I found organic tofu on sale for 2 bucks!)

4 Bananas

1 or 2 Apple

Some Raisins

60g Protein Powder

6g Creatine

1 Gallon of Water

1 cup of coffee, few cups of tea

It comes out to about 2,500-2,750. Sometimes I go to Vons and end up with some olives and hummus to take home and slap on my bread, once a week I'll usually get a latte which are like 400. All in all my diet is heavily based on instinctive eating. When my sis and I do dinner she buys so those days are well over 3,000, plus she buys me soy or coconut ice cream for desert. Hehe.

I'm a simple dude. I eat on instinct. Anything in the realm of health I eat, I don't bother with calories anymore.

My exercise regime has evolved, sans weightlifting I've been sprinting 3x a week and doing other stuff, like farmers walks with Optima batteries I can't seem to sell. My sprints go by the mantra "as hard as I can push myself without puking". Usually my cardio days run 45min to 60 min. I sprint for 1 min, walk or jog for 2 or 3. I try and get 3 or 4 mi of solid sprinting in. My middle sprinting day usually has me a bit tired so I sometimes walk instead of jog for my rest period.

On my lifting days I'll be doing weighted walks, or farmers walks to fill in my cardio requirements. Shoulders day doesn't need it, I space my lifts 90sec apart, those are brutal.

Until I get my stuff though, it's just cardio.

Ok, so my olympic dumbbell handles got rejected from my sisters address and sent back to USPS. I have to go get them. I did put my pullup/chinup bar together. But instead of using the chincey wrench I busted out my 10mm socket and wratchet and ended up snapping one of the bolts. It's cool cause I had to take the two wide grip handles off to get it to fit in my doorjam. It's very secure, feels very solid.

I've revised my sprints to a point where I am very happy with them, I have a few styles of sprinting combos to choose from, all are 45-60 minutes. I've gotten them to the point where I am doing 4-5 miles, and my abs are sore as shit afterward. Bueno.

I've noticed fat makes me sluggish, so I really don't eat PB anymore, mostly flax, olive oil/olives, avocado, and coconut occasionally. I've gotten a lot more strict with my diet. Absolutely no sugary drinks, nothing fried, even trans fat free, and no non-whole wheat breads.

I will begin lifting again Friday starting with my back day. will give me time to get the rest of my equipment.

Thanks! Got my handles home. They had cutting oil all over them so I used a degreaser on em. They are heavy as hell and I had to carry them home. Tomorrow my 2.5s and 5s get in, and I'll grab my exercise mat then. Then I just need my chains and I am set! Woohoo. I need a weight tree, so I am going to buy one of those too.

Also, great job on your progress.

Thanks man.

Today was my first workout back after a 3 week hiatus. I took some videos but I am ashamed of my current state. I look and lift sickly and weak. I have to admit I am slightly disgusted with myself. Barely mustering 3 sets of 8x7x3 with 15lbs for my pullups almost made me hurl.

No matter, it is what it is. And after seeing my body from a 3rd prospective I am redoubling my efforts.

It's become painfully obvious to me I need an EZ bar, and the collars on my DB handles SUCK. So I am gonna order an Olympic EZ bar w/ collars on Amazon. Deadlifts were nigh impossible with those 21" handles.

Back/Biceps 11:18AM-12:30PM

Weighted Pullups 25lbs x8 Drop 15lbs x7x3 Staying at 15lbs for next week

Dumbbell Deadlifts Fail

One Dumbbell Deadlifts 113lbs 3x10x10x10

One Arm Dumbbell Row 83lbs x10x10x10

Weighted Chinup Burnout +10lbs 3x10x8x3 +Negatives

Dumbbell Curls 38lbs 3x10x8x9 +Negatives

What a cluster fuck. Holy shit. I need more food. I feel like I am gonna hurl, my body is a mess.

Today while eating at evolution fast food it became obvious to me what happened when I lifted. 3 weeks off, skipping meals, and the lack of bulking up my glycogen stores caused me to become very depleted during my 1+hr workout. I think my metabolism is very fragile given my lack of intestines and low calorie diets are extremely dangerous for me because they tank my metabolism. I feel like shit. I am so sluggish and tired. It became apparent that I needed carbs, after a big plate of rice and veggies I started to feel better.

I sold two Optima batteries I had laying around so now I can buy an EZ bar and some collars. WHOOPIE!

Evolution Fast Food in San Diego is OK, their fries weren't too spectacular and their milkshakes were meh. Their veggie burgers, however, are delicious. I was stress eating and the fried food made me feel like cow shit. Oops.

Ok. Another status update. To me deadlifts are one of the most important lifts ever. And I just could not do them with my dumbbell handles. So I went ahead and bought this trap bar.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NQM8ZC/ref=oh_o00_s02_i00_details

I can use it for deadlifts, t-bar rows, shrugs, bent over rows, and ohp. Good investment IMO.

Now if I am buying a new bar just for deads, I need more iron to actually train them, so I went ahead and bought two 45lb plates.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FW3CE0/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I also needed collars for both my handles and the trap bar, cause the other collars suck ass.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKV08U/ref=oh_o00_s01_i00_details

I was gonna get bumper plates to save my floor, and security deposit, but they are $$$ so I will just buy some more high impact mats.

I think this brings my total spending on this endeavor up to around $550.00. But I just sold two Optima Batteries I have sitting around for $250.00, and I got a check from my bank for $50.00. So yay.

Today was better than my first day back. I've realized how much a pain in the ass it is to do a split with limited equipment so I've abandoned my split. If not just for 4 months till I get a place with mom, and have access to a bigger space.

My full body looks like this.

A:

Squat 5x5/Calves 4x12

Chest Press 5x5

Chinup 5x5

Biceps Iso 4x12

B:

Deadlift 5x5

Weighted Pullup 5x5

Shoulder Press 5x5

Side Raises 4x12

C:

Squat 5x5/Calves 4x12

Dips 5x5

Flys 4x2

Triceps Iso 4x12

With a workout coming every other day.

I hadn't really explored my old split too much, but this was just necessary.

Today was day A: Chest/Legs/Biceps. I abandoned biceps today as they are still very sore from Friday. They will be trained on my next A day.

I had to get creative with nearly everything. Nothing is simple with limited equipment. For my squats I used part dumbbells, and part backpack weights, for floor presses I had to do one are floor dumbbell bench presses as I could not get the weights into position, and required two hands. I did not go full bore, I do not want another Friday and am instead easing myself into it.

Squats: 166lbs x5x5x5x5 -> 176lbs

Dumbbell Calf Raises 96lbs x15x15x15x15 -> 123lbs

One Arm Floor Presses 2x63lbs x5x5x5x5x5 -> 2x65.5lbs

Weighted Pushups +50lbs x5x5x5x3x2

I am unsure if I want to split my 5x5 between two chest movements, 2x5 and 3x5. I did not feel much from 1 arm chest presses. We will see.

1-23-12 Day B 1:18 PM to 2:28 PM Back/Shoulders

Dumbbell Deadlifts 196lbs x5x5x5x5x5 Stay (Weird bio mechanical hiccup, read below)

Weighted Pullups +15lbs x5x5x5x4x4 +5 Negatives ->+2.5lbs

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 86lbs x5x5x5x5x4 -> 91lbs

Dumbbell Lateral Raises 2x13lbs x12x12x12x12 -> 2x15lbs

Dumbbell Shrugs 156lbs x10x10x10x9 ->Stay

Today was absolutely delightful. I once again felt the tension in my lower back and the rush of energy I so crave during heavy workouts. Heart pounding head racing, nothing is better than moving some serious iron. Fuck six pack abs, impressing girls and the masses, I am addicted to the rush of moving iron. My new full body routine is like a new drug. I am hooked. I love this design my friend made for me.

I figured out how to do dumbbell deadlifts but feel I am limited to the amount of weight I can do because of my own personal bio mechanics. The weight being at an odd angle to compensate for how long the handles are throws me forward a wee bit. Tightening my lower back and digging my heels in a bit compensated, but I fear if I went over 200lbs with dumbbells I would risk injury. No worry, I get my trap bar soon and will not be doing these much if any, anymore.

Also, I will begin super setting my last two whoopie exercises once I get my hex bar. I could not do shrugs with lateral raises because I only have my dumbbells.

Oh yeah, my workout ran a bit longer than I wanted cause those collars are a bitch to get on and off. I get my new ones soon.

I will begin toying with cardio post workout, and on my off days, to get my body fat down with the help of my friend. But I am never good at sticking to one set of standards for cardio. I am always afraid I will get weaker, but I need to focus on endurance and keep my body rounded.

What I think I might do is weighted walks or farmers walks on some of my lifting days for 15-30 min, and sprints every couple days on off days.

I NEED the extra calories or I crash, but it makes me less defined. It's a catch .22.

1-26-12 Workout C: Dynamic Legs/Chest/Triceps/Back 1:06 PM to 1:20 Pm

Lunges 146lbs (96onDBs/50inbackpack) x5x5x5x5x5 ->Stay (Work on form, bad right knee)

Weighted Dips on Suspension Straps +40lbs x5x5x5x5x4 ->45lbs

One Arm Dumbbell Rows 2x103lbs x5x5x5x5x4 ->105.5lbs

Triceps Kickbacks 25.5lbs x12x12x12x11 ->28lbs

These full body workouts are my new drug. I love them so much. They are so much more intense than splits because my entire body sounds the red alert and is like, "STOP IT YOU DICK" I've had to take off calves from A and C, running at 1:15 minutes each to 1:30 minutes is brutal. Anything more and I'd burn out. So I've decided to add calves and abs to my cardio days.

My finaly structure is:

A:

Squats 5x5

Chest 5x5

Chinups 5x5

Bicep ISO 4x12

B:

Deadlifts 5x5

Weighted Pullup 5x5

Shoulders 5x5

Shrugs/Side Raises 4x12

C:

Dynamic Legs 5x5

Weighted Dips 5x5

Rows 5x5

Tricep Iso 5x5

Dyanmic legs means jump squats, lunges etc.

After my first week I realize this routine is intense. I've been monitoring my calorie intake to make sure I am not burning out on my workouts from lack of food. After some instinctively eating I haphazardly calculated my kcals to about 2,750-3,000 day. So my body is naturally increasing it's appetite to compensate for the strain. This is good.

I was going to do more cardio, but two days of sprinting is more than enough. I walk a lot throughout the week seeing as how I do not own a car. I hesitate to add more cardio for fear of destroying myself.

1-28-12: Day A: 12:06 PM to 1:25 PM

Hex Bar Deadlifts 250lbs x5x5x5x5x5 -> 255lbs

One Arm Dumbbell Chest Presses 2x73lbs x5x5x4 ->Stay

Weighted Pushups +50lbs x5x5 -> +55lbs

Weighted Chinups +20lbs x5x5x5x4x4 -> 22.5lbs

Dumbbell Curls 38lbs x12x11x10x10 -> Stay

Today I tried to do a squat movement with my new hex/trap bar. But the movements are too similar to notice. Guess I'll stick with backpack+DBs for squats. My legs get plenty a workout with sprints, lunges/jump squats, and the hex deadlift. I also split my 5x5 between one arm DB press and weighted pushups. It feels good, my chest really got a good beating. I will soon try chest pressing with my new hex bar, and I am looking into making some kind of stand so I can do double DB chest press.

Tweaked my right wrist a wee bit. Need to make sure when I do pushups I have handles or do em on my knuckles.

I feel the need for an olympic bar holder and weight tree, plus an EZ curl bar, I also need more high impact mats, a belt, and new straps. The last three are most important, and the bar holder+weight tree.

Can't wait to get a place with mom. I have squirreled some more money away for a bench, 6ft bar and other goodies.

(:<

http://i42.tinypic.com/2ufbuau.jpg

1-30-12 Day B: 11:45 AM to 1:00 PM

Stiff Leg Trap Bar Deadlifts 200lbs x5x5x5x5x5 ->205lbs

Weighted Pullups +17.5lbs x5x5x5x4x4 -> 20lbs

Trap Bar Shoulder Press 100lbs x5x5x4x5x4 ->105lbs

Trap Bar Shrugs 150lbs x10x10x10x9 ->Stay, Work on Form

Dumbbell Side Raises 2x15.5lbs x12x12x12x12 ->2x18lbs

Oh and yesterday I did 20min of sprints at 15sec sprints, 2 min rest, and a 10 min jog, plus abs.

Today I discovered a remedy to an issue I've had since beginning to use my trap bar. Since trap bar deadlifts target the quads so much more than standard deadlifts I was at a loss as to how to keep my legs from getting over trained, what between sprinting, dynamic legs, and my other two days.

Today I discovered trap bar stiff legged deadlifts reduce the amount of quad work to nearly nothing. This is great, now I have a plan to keep my legs from getting over trained.

I also discovered an ingenious way to get the bar up to starting position for trap bar shoulder presses, essentially resting it on my traps and squatting it up, I am not worried about injuring my back seeing as how I can deadlift up to 250lbs with no belt or discomfort, I am confident in my ability to control the bar up to 150-175. See the video here. And don't laugh at my noises...lol.

Edited by Cellar Yeti

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated for a while. Just been lazy I guess.

2-1-12 Day C 12:30PM to 1:45PM

Legs X Too Sore. Need to reevaluate C Day

Dips +30lbs x5x5x5x5x4

Dumbbell Flys 2x48lbs x8x8x8x8 ->Add A LOT more weight

Bent Over Rows 145lbs x5 135lbs x5x5x5x5 -> 140lbs

Kickbacks 2x28lbs x10x10x10x10

Dips on my suspension straps are very difficult. Stabilization is just not easy. My stabilization has gotten A LOT better.

Edited by Cellar Yeti