HellBentForPleather's Training & Nutrition Journal

I am committing to logging my meals and training every day for the month of January---it's my New Year's Revolution!

My goals are to continue my weight loss (down 67 pounds so far since becoming vegan on August 16, 2010) and work on gaining strength, endurance and maintaining my muscle mass or even gaining some lean mass. That would be awesome...

Food for today:

B: 6 oz mixed berries, 1 slice ezekiel toast, 2 tbs natural peanut butter, 1 cup mixed organic unsweetened coconut/almond milk

S1: 1oz almonds

L: spicy orange vegan chicken, 1/2 cup brown rice, 3 cups cooked spinach

S2: 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, 2 handfuls spinach

D: 3/4 black eyed peas, 1/2 cup millet, 2 tsp coconut oil, 3 cups collard greens (Happy New Year!)

Today is actually an active rest day for me, which feels like a very anticlimactic way to start the New Year. But I've been doing my normal gym routine all year, so this is part of my pattern of doing yoga on my rest days. Yesterday I did back and rear delts and cardio and finished out 2011 strong. I'm doing 45 minutes of yoga today. Weights and cardio resume tomorrow.

I am so lucky to be working with Alli Breen for this month! I connected with her over the phone tonight and she had some great suggestions as far as my diet is concerned. To start, I'm going to begin relying less heavily on fake meats and eating more whole foods in their place as well as including more coconut oil in my diet.

Happy 2012 everyone!

Maria

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food:

B: large green smoothie (2 tsp coconut oil, 1 orange, 1/2 banana, 3 handfuls of spinach, 1 scoop protein powder)

L: 1/2 cup millet, 1/2 can black beans, 2 tsp coconut oil, salsa, 4 cups mixed collards and kale

S1: apple, 1 oz almonds, vega pre-workout drink

S2: 1/2 lara bar

D: big a$$ salad with tempeh, 2 tsp coconut oil and 1 tbs vegan omega 3 ranch

Training:

Bis/Tris/Abs

Worked out with my sister in law, so had less time than usual because it's slower working out with another person. But it was way more fun! I did miss my loud Hatebreed and Sepultura playlist, though

Active warm up 10 minutes, bands, balls and step ups

Machine dips 12/60, 10/70, 8/80, 6/90

DB hammer curls 12/8 10/10 8/12 6/15

Triceps rope 12/25 10/30 8/35 /6/40

EZ bar curls (this gym doesn't have 5 pound increments for my still-weak biceps, grrr!) 12/20 10/20 8/30 6/40 (dying!)

Overhead DB tri press 12/20 10/22.5 8/25 6/30

Abs: 4 sets 15 rep swiss ball crunches

Cardio: 20 mins interval training on elliptical, 5 min cooldown on treadmill

Super tired and going to bed!!! And I only ate fake meat once today, whoo hoo.

Maria

PS Lost another 2.6 pounds last week---I am now down 69.6 pounds since going vegan and getting back into the gym. I was working out next to a guy today who happened to mention that he'd lost 100 pounds and I felt super inspired. I also had some older dude tell me, "Wow, you are lifting really heavy for a girl!" That made me laugh since I feel so weak compared to the old days when I used to kick it out beast-style at Gold's and practically freebased creatine

Food:

B: vegan sausage, 1/2 cup 5 grain hot cereal, 6 oz mixed fresh berries, 1 tbs flax meal

S1: apple, 1 oz almonds

L: tofu hotdog, 1 tsp coconut oil, on spelt bun (gotta use up that fake meat!), 1 cup celery with 1 1/2 tbs vegan omega 3 ranch dressing

S2: protein shake

D: 1/2 can garbanzo beans, 1/2 cup millet, 1 tbs tahini, 4 cups mixed kale and collard greens

Training:

The gym was NUTS today. I had to be flexible and do what I could to occupy myself. Not doing high weights on legs right now but just trying to not rest a lot and keep it fast and challenging at the same time.

3 sets of 15 reps each leg high box step ups

superset with 3 sets of medicine ball squats 15 reps 8#

leg extensions on roc it machine 12/3 10/4 8/5 6/6

hamstring curls on roc it machine 12/3 10/4 8/5 6/6

hamstring plate drags 3 sets 10

20 min cardio on treadmill

And now, bed!

Maria

I'm back among the living!

Food:

B: 1/2 cup 5 grain hot cereal, 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, 25 grams almonds, 1 cup peaches

S: protein bar

L: 1 sprouted tofu burger, 2 cups broccoli, 2 tsp coconut oil, 1 cup whole wheat shells

S: green smoothie: one orange, 1/2 banana, 3 cups spinach, 1 scoop protein bar

D: 1/2 can black eyed peas, 3 tbs agave sweetened BBQ sauce, 4 cups mixed collards and kale, 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, 1/2 cup quinoa

Workout: Chest/Delts

warm up: bands and balls and step ups, active warm up

Flat Db press: 12/17.5 10/20 8/22.5 6/25

Overhead barbell shoulder press: 12/20 10/25, 8/30 6/35

Cable upright flyes 12/20 10/25 8/30 6/35

DB lateral raises 12/8 10/10 8/12 6/15

cardio: 20 min intervals on treadmill, 5 min cooldown

Supplements: multi, vitamin d, cal/mag, borage oil, medicinal mushrooms for my wack immune system, BCAA powder with glutamine

Feels good to be back to normal!!!

Maria

Today was a cardio day---did 20 minutes worth of very sweaty intervals on the treadmill.

Might do some yoga before bed just to stretch and relax a little bit. Glad to not be sick anymore and back in the gym. My coworkers who got sick are all still sick. I really think eating a clean vegan diet, exercise and supplements helps me so much when I catch the occasional cold.

Food:

B: 1 slice ezekiel, 1 tbs natural peanut butter, 1 cup coconut milk, 1 cup strawberries, 1 scoop protein powder

L: gardein chicken veggie bowl with brown rice (went on a lunch date!)

D: brown rice, black beans, pico de gallo, 2 oz avocado, big raw kale and mescalun salad with oil free tangerine dressing

S: 1 oz dry roasted almonds, apple

Maria

Food:

B: 1 slice ezekiel toast, big a$$ green smoothie with one orange, 1/2 banana, 3 huge handfuls of spinach, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 tbs coconut oil

S: 1 oz almonds, 1 apple

L: leftover gardein brown rice & veggie bowl

S: pro bar

D: red quinoa, kale and shaved brussel sprouts salad, lentils

Workout (I had to bust out the Bad Brains and Minor Threat. Man was I tired!):

Vega pre-workout drink

5 min dynamic warm up with bands, step ups, high knees

Hammer Stength Lat Pulls

12/70 10/90 8/100 6/110

Bent over single arm DB rows

12/15 10/20 8/22.5 6/25

Rear Delts on pec dec machine

12/15 10/20 8/25 6/30

30 min cardio split evenly between the stepmill and the treadmill

Nutrasumma BCAA's with glutamine post workout

Monday is my weigh in day and I am down another 2 pounds for a total of 71 since beginning my vegan journey.

Maria

Awww, thanks Alli!! It's so cool that you love BB, too. I've only gotten to see them once but it was freakin' AWESOME!! Rock for Light is one of my favorite workout albums ever. Have fun in Miami---I'm from the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area originally. Man, I miss it!

Today was an active rest day...I did 45 minutes of Tara Stiles' Weight Loss yoga, which kind of kicked my a$$ a little bit. I am so not flexible, but I'm working on it...

Food:

B: 1 slice ezekiel toast, 2 tsp coconut oil, green smoothie (1 orange, 1/2 banana, kale/spinach, protein powder)

S: 6 oz fresh raspberries, 1 oz almonds

L: black eyed peas, brown rice and broccoli

D: gardein orange chicken, bok choy, brown rice

S: 1 kamut cake with 1 tbs hummus

Super tired...time to hit the sack.

Whoops, got home too late to log last night!

So Wednesday's food was:

B: 1/2 cup 5 grain cereal, 1 tbs flax meal, 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk, 1 cup peaches, 1 vegan sausage

L: WW elbow macaroni, 2 tsp coconut oil, sprouted tofu burger, multi veggie (mescalun, beets, grape tomatoes, yellow peppers, cukes) salad with 1 tbs goddess dressing

S: blueberries, almonds

D: spinach salad with pickled veggies, black beans, fresh baked plantains, tofu adobo taco on corn tortilla (had to go out for some vegan Mexican food!)

Workout: Bis and Tris---soundtrack, Pantera. It was that kind of night. Had to improvise and try some different things as it was hella crowded in the gym.

10 min warmup

4 sets 20 swiss ball crunches

4 sets 8 EZ bar curls with 30# BB

Overhead triceps DB presses 12/20# 10/22.5# 8/25# 6/30#

Roc it machine low pulley biceps curls 12/1 10/2 8/3 6/4

Triceps rope 12/35# 10/40# 8/45# 6/50#

Seated Dip Machine 12/60# 10/65 8/75# 6/80#

Maria

Today is an active rest day---45 minutes yoga. Wish I could take a walk outside, too, but it's way too cold right now for me. Feeling really tired and like I just need some R&R.

Food:

B: green smoothie (orange, 1/2 banana, 3 handfuls spinach, 1 1/2 scoop pro powder), 1 slice ezekiel toast, 1 tbs coconut oil

S: apple, almonds

L: brown rice, black eyed peas, broccoli

D: the hippie bowl: 1/2 cup red quinoa, shiitake mushrooms, 1 tsp coconut oil, 4 cups mixed collards, kale and spinach, 1/2 can aduki beans, 1 tbs tahini (mixed with a little lime juice, parsley, cayenne, sea salt, agave and onion powder to make a sauce).

S: if hungry, strawberries and a cup of tea after yoga

Maria

Man, even Sepultura couldn't power me through my workout tonight. SO.FREAKIN'.TIRED! But hey, I showed up and did my planned workout, even if I feel like it sucked. Not every workout is awesome. Sometimes it's enough for me to suit up and show up and do my best. The gym has also been stupid crowded, and some nights I am not as patient with this as others. Can't wait until things go back to normal!

Food:

B: protein shake (strawberries, nitrofusion, almond milk), ezekiel toast, coconut oil

S: builder's bar

L: big a$$ salad, one tbs dressing, amy's vegan chicken noodle soup

S: protein shake (nitrofusion, almond milk, natty pnb)

D: sauteed veggies and a slice of whole wheat vegan pizza

Not enough whole foods today and I felt rushed and stressed all day--didn't have enough time to cook my lunch this morning.

Workout:

Legs

5 min warm up on treadmill, 15 reps each leg box step ups

leg extensions 12/55 10/70 8/85 6/100

hamstring curls 12/25 10/30 8/40 6/50 (could have gone way heavier, but already felt totally drained )

1 set 12 each leg lunges (not happening)

3 sets 10 reps each hamstring curls with swiss ball

glute machine 12/15# 10/20# 8/25# 6/30#

Cardio: 7 laps around indoor track as fast as I could go.

I feel lame even writing this out!

Going to go rest and regroup and get focused and motivated for tomorrow.

Maria

Thanks for the kind words, Robert! I love this forum and really appreciate all of your hard work---you inspire me!

Did not get to log workout for yesterday so here it is:

Soundtrack: Hatebreed, The Misfits

Chest/delts

5 min dynamic warm up with step ups and bands

Dumbell flat chest press 12/20 10/22.5 8/25 6/27.5 I wanted to try the 30# DB's but realized I might need a spotter. Will work out with my SIL next time!

Over head BB shoulder press 4 sets 8 with 40# BB

Hammer Strength Isolateral Chest Press 3 sets 4 with 2 25# plates (ugh!)

DB lat raises 3 sets of 10 reps with 10#

Cardio:

30 min on elliptical trainer

Food:

B: 1/2 cup 5 grain hot cereal, flax meal, 6 oz fresh strawberries, 1 vegan sausage

L: unexpected outing with my 12 step fellowship buddies to thai food: stir fried mixed all green veggies with soy chicken, water

S: big green smoothie: spinach, kale, tangelo, 1/2 banana, 1 scoop nitrofusion

D: totally exhausted, knew I needed to eat but too tired to cook! 2 slices of ezekiel bread with natural pnb, agave, wheatgerm and a glass of almond milk

I have been stupid tired for the last few days. I think it's probably hormonal. Damn you, PMS! Either way, annoying! But I am showing up at the gym and doing my best and I know this will pass.

Maria

Food:

B: 1 slice ezekiel toast, 1 tbs coconut oil, 1 scoop nitrofusion, 1 cup unsw almond milk, 1 cup strawberries

L: 1 cup vegan paella, big salad with 1 tbs dressing

S: (post workout( 1 scoop nitrofusion, 1 cup unsw almond milk, 1/2 banana & my supplements (BCAA's, glutamine & Vitamin C/trace minerals pack)

D: 1/2 can garbanzo beans, 4 cups mixed mustart greens, kale & spinach, 1/2 tbs coconut oil

Workout:

Back (soundtrack Slipknot. If that doesn't work, nothing will!)

pre-workout supp---1 scoop pre-workout Vega crack

5 warm up on treadmill, bands

Hammer Strentgth Wide Grip Pull Downs

12/70# 10/80# 8/90# 6/ 110@

Bent over dumbell rows

12/22.5# 10/25# 8/30# and then I had to go do something else because lil' dudes were monopolizing the 35's!

3 sets 15 reps Swiss Ball Crunches (see above comment, grr! I hate January! Finding something to do until machine is freed up)

3 sets 8x35# Reverse Delts on pec dec

20 min treadmill torture intervals (speed & incline alternating)

5 min cool down and get me the hell out of here!

Still really, really tired, but doing my best! This will pass by the time the weekend rolls around.

Maria

Oh, it's leg day!

Feeling MUCH less fatigued today, yay!

Food:

B: 1 slice ezekiel toast, green smoothie (tangelo, 1/2 banana, 3 handfuls of spinach, 1 scoop nitrofusion, water)

L: vegan paella, big salad (1/2 bag greens plus cut up raw veggies), 1 tbs dressing

D: 1/2 cup quinoa, 1/2 can pinto beans, 4 cups mustard greens, 1 oz vegan chorizo, 1 oz teese, salsa. Almost worked my way through all of the fake meat in my house!

S: if hungry, 1 scoop nitrofusion, 1 cup unsweetened almonds milk

Supplements: pre-workout Vega stuff, before bed BCAAs/glutamine & a packet of Vitamin C and trace minerals. I only use this on days I lift.

I also take a multi, Vitamin D2, omega 3, GLA, Cal/Mag, and some immune supporting mushrooms every day as part of my regular routine, so I won't write that out every day. A few times a week I take a sublingual B12 and I also take some blue green algae capsules a few times a week if I am tired.

Legs, done with my Sister In Law, which is always motivating!

10 min warm up on treadmill

mini-circuit: 1 set 15 box step ups each leg, 1 set wide stance squats with 8# medicine ball

no rest, on to:

hamstring curls 12/40# 10/45# 8/50# 6/60# (1 min rest in between each set)

no rest, repeated mini-circuit: 1 set 15 box step ups each leg, 1 set wide stance squats with 8# medicine ball

no rest, on to:

roc it machine leg extensions 12/2 10/3 8/4 6/5 (rest while partner completes set)

no rest, repeated mini-circuit: 1 set 15 box step ups each leg, 1 set wide stance squats with 8# medicine ball

no rest, on to:

Glute kick backs 12/20# 10/30# 8/40# 6/50# (rest 1 min in between sets)

no rest, repeated mini-circuit: 1 set 15 box step ups each leg, 1 set wide stance squats with 8# medicine ball, 3 sets bosu single leg bridges, 10 reps each set (that sh@t is hard!!! OMG)

5 min cooldown plus stretching. I feel tired just writing all of this out!

Bedtime! Type O Negative is good sleepytime music...

Maria

Food:

B: 1/2 cup hot 5 grain cereal, 1 cup berries, 2 tbs hemp seeds, splash of unsweetened almond milk

L: big salad, 1 tbs omega 3 dressing, 1 1/2 cups vegan paella

D: pinto beans, avocado, portobello mushrooms, peppers, 2 tortillas, handful of tortilla chips, salsa

S: if hungry, 1 scoop nutrofusion, 2 handfuls spinach, 1/2 banana, 1 cup unsw almond milk

Training:

Supposed to be a rest day, but I feel like doing cardio. Very agitated and need to clear my mind with some sweat!

Maria

Took a total rest day today---I needed it.

B: 1 slice ezekiel, 1 tbs peanut butter, apple, 1 cup almond milk

L: 4 cups collard greens, 1/2 cup garbanzos, 1 tbs tahini, 1/2 cup red quinoa

S: grande decaf soy latte, gluten free crackers (this is my treat once every few weeks---the latte. Whoo hoo!)

D: black bean burger on whole wheat roll with veggies and avocado

Hi AliiB! Glad you are back!

Here's the rough weekend plan:

Tomorrow is chest/delts/cardio.

Sat: cardio, yoga

Sun: biceps/triceps/cardio, yoga

Bedtime for me!

Maria

Ended up flip-flopping my days yesterday. Just found out one of my friends died unexpectedly and I was not in the mood to do a hard workout, or really any workout, honestly. But I did suit up and show up at the gym & pull 30 minutes of cardio out of my a$$ somehow. Cooled down & stretched for another 10 minutes after.

Food:

B: green smoothie (tangelo, 1/2 banana, 1 scoop nitrofusion, 3 handfulls of spinach), 1/2 tbs coconut oil, 1 slice ezekiel toast

L: gardein burger on whole wheat with a ton of veggies, avocado, side of celery sticks

D: sesame tofu and kale waldorf salad with oil free dressing & walnuts

Very sad. But still forging ahead.

Maria

Met up with my SIL at the gym and did 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes on the track. I normally am not a big fan of cardio, but it is helping with my sadness.

Hitting the gym in a few hours for some weights...then later tonight I am going to see Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel, which should put me in a much better mood, I hope! Heavy metal always helps

Maria

Today was a definitely weird workout day. Midway through my workout, paramedics had to come and take a poor lady out on a stretcher. I hope she's OK!

Biceps/Triceps/Abs

5 min warm up

EZ bar curls 8/30#. 3 sets of 8 35#

Overhead DB triceps press

12/22.5 10/25 8/27.5 6/30#

DB hammer curls

3 sets of 8 15# dumbells

Triceps rope

12/22.5 10/25 8/27.5 6/30#

Burn out circuits:

1 set of 21's with 20# BB

1 set of 15 reps each arm triceps kickbacks 5#

no rest, repeated again

5 sets 15 reps swiss ball crunches

35 minutes cardio (split between stepmill and treadmill)

Food:

B: 1/2 cup grape nuts, 2 tbs hemp seeds, 6 oz fresh strawberries,1 cup unsweetened almond milk

L: tofu, kale and brussels sprouts salad, 1 cup mushroom barley soup (no oil & vegan, natch)

D: 1/2 can pinto beans, 1 oz vegan cheese, salsa, 3 cups mixed veggies (spinach, yellow peppers and onions), 1/2 cup quinoa

Good night everyone!

Maria