CLIF BARS!

kollision

among many reasons (including environmental) that i think it's a good idea to boycott coke:

- they have been linked to the murder of union leaders in Colombia, South America:

http://www.killercoke.org/

- they've caused problems with water pollution and taken over water supplies in India.

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=7508

back to the original thread...

i love clif bars, luna bars, etc! they are a bit on the sweet side, i often think of them as dessert. i really like the builder bars, too.

they're expensive in DC, $1.39 for clif bars and $1.99 for builder.

i like the lara bars, too. but they're $1.99 or more.

I haven't tasted Cookies N' Cream in such a long time...I don't even know if there are vegan ice cream with that flavor

http://www.turtlemountain.com/images/product_images/PD_CookieAvalanche.jpg

http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/purely_decadent_cookie_avalanche.html

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's times like this that I really miss the States!! I can't get CLIF or LUNA bars or anything like that down here in Cayman. Oh and I do miss them!!!

I can order them online, but it takes about 2 months to get anything sent down here and then I have to pay duty on them on top of it!! Plus they give you a really hard time if you try to bring "outside food" into the country!!

I saw this today. It would be cheaper and likely more healthful:

3 cups grapenuts (Ill probably try a different cereal.)

1 cup low fat soymilk

1 cup nonsweetened applesauce

1 cup raisins(we used dried cranberries instead)

2 tsps vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients together. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place in a nonstick 9 x 9 baking pan. Cook for 35 minutes.

You could add hemp protein powder etc. and nuts.

I saw this today. It would be cheaper and likely more healthful:

3 cups grapenuts (Ill probably try a different cereal.)

1 cup low fat soymilk

1 cup nonsweetened applesauce

1 cup raisins(we used dried cranberries instead)

2 tsps vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients together. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place in a nonstick 9 x 9 baking pan. Cook for 35 minutes.

You could add hemp protein powder etc. and nuts.

I should try making a raw version of this.

Does anybody know if Clif and Luna (?) bars are soy based? I'm just wondering because I haven't used any powders or bars or anything, but soy makes me break out terribly.

I'm not sure if the producer (who is Clif's son---naming the bars after his dad) is vegan or even vegetarian, or if he just wanted to open the market to more people.

According to the story on the package, Clif is/was his dog.

I hate being wrong, so I'm happy to report I wasn't! I just checked out a Clif bar in the store, and right above the story about the guy and his dog, is a sentence in bold saying that Clif bars were named after his father, Clif.

I don' worry about being wrong or right, I think that is why I stopped arguing a few years ago, but glad we got to the bottom of it I was a little confused too, since at one time I was probably in the top 5 Clif Bar consumers in the World, eating 7 a day. I thought it was named after his father.

The Builder Bars are totally good but seemed to be just like a protein-filled candy bar. I eat both Clif and Vega bars these days, oh and Odwalla bars too.

Thanks for the update

-Rob

I hear ya, I remember those days. About 6 months ago I saw a movie in the theatre and took a mojo bar or two with me. It was dark obviously and the bar kept crumbling and when the movie was over and we left the theatre I had melted chocolate all over my pants. It was pretty awesome

Of the Clif Bars, Builder bars are my favorite. A few years ago Luna were my favorite ones and I'd eat all of their flavors buying them in bulk from Trader Joes.

These days for me it is mostly Vega and Odwalla, but I still get a Clif Bar in there every once in a while.

I don' worry about being wrong or right...

It's not really so much "I have to be right," but when I think I know something, and that is called into question, it makes me wonder if I'm going senile and forgetting things. I'm just glad to see that it's not a case of my memory going!

I really like the Mojo bars. Seem more like real food from the texture. The original flavors were pretty scary though. I bought one of each for breakfasts for a backpacking trip without trying them. I don't know if it was the salsa or the curry that I decided to go hungry rather than finish eating. I figured even a bear wouldn't have attacked me to get that one.

I really like the Mojo bars. Seem more like real food from the texture. The original flavors were pretty scary though. I bought one of each for breakfasts for a backpacking trip without trying them. I don't know if it was the salsa or the curry that I decided to go hungry rather than finish eating. I figured even a bear wouldn't have attacked me to get that one.

I've never heard of those. But salsa and curry in a food bar...doesn't sound too appealing. Good for backpacking, perhaps, to keep the bears away (maybe also repel mosquitos!).

Some 'natural food' manufacturers do get a bit funky in their flavor combos. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I'm usually willing to try something that sounds like it could be either really good or really odd. Sometimes it's the one, sometimes it's the other!

Thanks a lot Neil.

I just used a store locator to find one near my place. Definitely going to check it out.

I guess I have to boycott coke now? Any good alternatives to it for Diet Coke flavor?

you're welcome. did you try the purely decadent cookies and cream?

sorry, i don't know what to recommend to replace diet coke. but, maybe pepsi is better than (not as bad as) coke...

• 3 weeks later...

Have you guys tried Genisoy Soy Crisps? I love the Apple-Cinnamon flavor. I eat the whole entire bag in one sitting... very yummy and very high in protein! (one bag has about 25g protein!)

This is a great alternative to protein bars.

Anyone ever try Think Organic bars? They are awesome. They are all vegan, organic, and non GMO. They come in apricot/cocount, chocolate/coconut, and a few others like cherry, pecan, etc... They are comprised mostly of dried fruit, coconut, and raw nuts. Try one. You'll be hooked.

I have found them at Whole Foods and on line you can try the Vitamin Shoppe. I am sure there are other sources too.

Leslie

• 4 weeks later...