Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Mary's Training Journal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:15 am 
Gorilla

Hey there, Mary! Great job with consistent journaling! And congratulations on your weight loss! Sounds like you've had a stressful week, and I'm sorry that you don't get to see your fiance as much as you would like. But, girl, you seem to beat yourself up a lot! I think you should be a little kinder to yourself. :D As my VBB coach has been telling me, it's not about perfection; it's about health. So, cut yourself a little slack. I know, sometimes it's easier said than done, as I tend to be the same way. But, it sounds like you're learning some things about yourself along the way, and that's much of what this process of journaling is all about! :smt023

Wishing you all the best!

~Karen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:41 am 
Rabbit

Thank you for the positive words!!! Ever since high school I have been accused of being too hard on myself. On one hand I feel like if I am brutally honest-I can't hide behind excuses and I am forcing myself to see my faults. On the other hand-are they really faults, or just me? I first became a vegetarian in high school-but it was for all the wrong reasons and I used it to hide a sickness. I recently came back and am dabbling more in veganism. My first time back I fell off the wagon and ate an In-N-Out burger. My fiance said the exact same thing you did-It is not about being perfect and that is how I was portraying the vegan lifestyle!
Thank you again for being kind!!

Lynn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:29 pm 
Rabbit

maybe i should clear up my last sentence-i was equating the vegan lifestyle as something that is restrictive (even though I know it is not) and that i was sacrificing something. it wasn't that I wasn't ready for the change, my body was and I thought my mind was too-but it wasn't entirely. If I ate something that wasn't vegan, I said that i messed up and I felt some extreme failure. It took more research and more honest looks at what I was actually putting into my body to stop eating all meat and chicken and most importantly-to stop craving it. I have not been able to completely get off fish yet-but my consumption has gone down dramatically.
I had to let go of the thought of being "Perfect" and accept that making a life-changing decision is something that is worth fighting for. i can accept that some people took to the lifestyle easier than I did and it doesn't matter. There is room for all!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:23 pm 
Rabbit

Well-i guess I just needed a few days to sort myself (Lord knows why!) But I am back! I went back to Day one Week two of P90x. Immediately my arms were jello and I wavered throughout the entire workout with my performance. I have this crazy popping in my elbow when I do diamond pushups, so I did planks instead. same with the divebombers. Its weird-it makes this crazy loud popping sound and I hear it and it hurts a bit, but the next day it is not swollen. So who knows. I just avoid those exercises!

Nutrition:
Breakfast: Green Smoothie! (Spinach, strawberries, banana, flax seed, peanut butter and I tried oatmeal today-meh)
Snack: slice of cranberry orange bread
lunch: LAST of the leftover MExican casserole-extra kidney beans!
Dinner: Gardein Chik'n strips

Woot Woot!

Here is the workout!
Standard pushups
Wide Front Pull-Ups
Military Push-ups
Reverse Grip Cin-Ups
Wide Fly Push-Ups
Closed Grip Overhand Pull-Ups
Decline Push-Ups
Heavy Pants
Diamond Push-Ups
Lawnmowers
Dive-Bomber Push-Ups
Back Flys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:48 pm 
Gorilla

Is your name Lynn or Mary? I'm confused. Hehe! :)

Great job on your workout today! I don't think I ever had a green smoothie until I started this New You New Year challenge a couple weeks ago! Now I LOVE them and have one most mornings. I also add a scoop Vega Whole Food Health Optimizer to mine. What a great (and filling!) way to start the day! Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:12 am 
Rabbit

It is both! Mary Lynn. Sometimes I forget which name I used! I just started green smoothies in April and I was instantly in love! At first it packed the pounds on because I would eat breakfast and then fill a Nalgene bottle and take it to work, eat lunch and then do another Nalgene bottle! I was thinking that because it was fruit and veggies-it was ok! nooooooot so much!! I have a problem with calorie judging so it is something that I have been learning. When I first told my mom about the green smoothies-she actually screamed over the phone! BUT when I came home to visit, a bag of spinach was waiting for me in the fridge!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:40 am 
Gorilla

Hahahahahahahaha! She screamed? Why? In disgust? That's cute. ;)

I've been having to learn to be a better judge of calories, too. And I hear ya, the calories in those smoothies can really add up quickly. You think, "oh, this is good for me, so I'll put some in here. Oh, and that's good for me, too, so I'll put some of that in as well." And before you know it, you've got over 400 calories in the blender! I'm learning to try to be really careful to measure everything that goes in the blender. It's tough sometimes. But, they're sooooooooooo good!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 am 
Rabbit

Yeah-she screamed in disgust. oh well!

I hate measuring things. I get totally freaked out and stress over it! I eyeball it and ive gotten pretty good-I have designated smoothie cups and that helps with serving size!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:35 pm 
Rabbit

Hooray!!! I am finally back with my fiancé!! After a 4.5 hour drive I am finally here! Now it's onto wedding planning with a workout this evening!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:25 pm 
Gorilla

Yay! Have fun, Mary!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:40 pm 
Rabbit

Ran in the park today!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:23 am 
Rabbit

So that was a much needed rest! I ate well and exercised with the love of my life! Now that I am back at my house it is time to get back into a routine. This morning was yoga class- a wonderful way to shake the kinks out!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:10 pm 
Rabbit

Today was Ab Day! It hurts and I love it.

Meals:
Morning: Hollowed bagel with eggless egg salad from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
Lunch: same as breakfast only I added pomegranate seeds and Rasberry balsamic vinegar, also a pomegranate and blackberry salad
Dinner: Pizza with Daiya cheeze and meatless peperonie

Tomorrow I will run in the morning-it has been a while (save for the park run) and I need to do it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:30 am 
Gorilla

"It hurts and I love it." :D That made me giggle.

I love Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:34 am 
Rabbit

she has the best recipes!!!!