Vegan Curious

Cown

>Total intake today was just over 1000 calories and just over 100g protein. I don't increase calories on gym days, and yet still I'm not dropping weight.

Maybe you're not eating enough so your body has knocked your metabolism way down to hang on to what it's got?

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>Total intake today was just over 1000 calories and just over 100g protein. I don't increase calories on gym days, and yet still I'm not dropping weight.

Maybe you're not eating enough so your body has knocked your metabolism way down to hang on to what it's got?

I thought about that. Thing is though, I do have cheat meals..at least once a week, sometimes I'll crave something bad more often lol and I've only been eating like this since the start of the year, so I don't think my metabolism should have dropped that quickly, especially since I naturally have fast metabolism.

I had an especially large meal, with delicious, delicious dessert last night, and today I've had...615cal. So in theory tomorrow I should be down SOMETHING. We'll see.

What I'm wondering is if I was consuming so little protein before that I wasn't holding on to any of my muscle, and now that I'm (most days) having at least 1g/lb, I'm able to keep all the muscle I should have, and that's what's adding the weight. I'm really hoping that's the reason lol

I need to go eat something else though, these 600cal aren't cutting it. Tofu it is! I'm slacking on protein today, anyway.

Awesome workout today! I increased my bench. On thursday I had done 3 sets of 12 reps with 55lbs + 2 sets of 6 with 65lbs. Today I did 3 sets of 8 with 65lbs + 2 sets of 4 with 70lbs. Oddly, I think I can still increase a bit. Cranking out the last 2 reps was difficult, but not overly so...I'll have to test this on monday.

Currently, I'm at 780 cal and 118g protein..but my stomach is really nagging at me (not because it's hungry, just because it wants more sauteed mushrooms! lol) and I could do with a bit more protein, so I think I'm going to throw on some egg whites and have some raw carrots, too. Soo...that'll up me to 142g protein and 900 calories (Not adding any calories for the carrots..yes, I know they do add to the total, but not enough for me to bother calculating).

I don't know how this suddenly came so easy, the low cal/high protein..2 weeks ago it seems extremely hard and borderline impossible.

Maybe it's just because I'm in a rather fantastic mood, but I think I am slowly dropping fat, it's just not showing in the numbers on the scale. My arms seem leaner/more defined, my torso (despite not directly working abs at all for the last month) seems more toned... It could be that it's just the scale making me think I'm not getting any results...Why do women have to be taught that it's the number that matters? Stupid society...lol

Strange day...had a situation that required me to go into work for several hours, so I didn't go to the gym, and I didn't eat like I would have. I had a good breakfast though, then nothing until late afternoon (exception being a few crackers) when I had a deliciously chocolate blizzard, and for dinner I made an awesome chili recipe that I got in an email (it was vegan!).

I don't really want to miss the workout I had planned for today, so tomorrow I'm hoping to go twice...or maybe just have one really long session. I think two sessions would be better on my body though. Here's hoping I can get my ass in gear in the morning so that I have time for it.

Oh, and I've lost weight I've dropped a kilo since the last time I stepped on the scale. It might be silly of me to base my progress off the numbers I see, but it helps me feel better.

Wicked workout today...I did legs first, then took a break just long enough to have a protein shake and run across the street to Timmies and grab a whole wheat bagel, then straight back to it with upper body. By the end of upper body I was SO done...just exhausted.

I really believe that what has made my upper body workouts so effective over these last few weeks is the fact that I take myself to exhaustion, then I drop for push ups, even though my muscles are screaming and I feel like crying. I was doing 10 (increased to 12 today) reps of each feet elevated, flat, and hands elevated. It just really pushes the workout to the next level.

I increased my squats today...3 sets of 10 with 95lbs (smith machine), then I followed it with 1...possibly 2 (I forget) sets of 5 with 115lbs. I was pretty psyched about it. My bench is going up, too. That really makes me happy, since that's always been my weak point.

Since I did a double workout, I went a little crazy with calories..possibly more than I should have, I'm not really sure. Most days I'm doing roughly 1000 - 1100 calories, today I did just over 1600, and had 140g of protein.

Going through the grocery stores right now is torture! I had to grab a few things after being at the gym, and there is just junk food everywhere, and it's all on sale! It's like I'm being taunted everywhere I look. I almost gave in to my cravings a few times while in the store, telling myself that I'll keep the bag of cookies, or the chips, for cheat days. The only thing that stopped me was that I looked at the nutritional values before picking anything up. The high calories made me say no.

I really do want a cookie though.

While looking through some other journals a little earlier, I realized that I haven't posted a single picture of myself. It didn't take much for me to realize that I haven't posted any because I'm scared to, which is absurd because this is the place where I should feel safe to do so. So...I'm telling my self-consciousness to suck it, and I'm posting some.

I actually took a few about a year ago, shortly after I got my gym membership (I wasn't working out too hard back then) so I'm going to show you those, as well as ones that I took just now before I sat to write this.

(The yellow bikini pictures are from last march)

513437072_P3070478(600x800).thumb.jpg.ae920efb2efbc282126e8774b0f453fe.jpg

1360068218_P3070484(480x640).jpg.3a7f19ba9156dd1598906bb59f8b91bf.jpg

Nice transformation !! Looks like you have added some quality muscle and toned up very nicely.

You happy with how things are going for you? I think diet is the most important thing followed by training and recovery.

Funny enough, I've only been training really intensely for maybe 2 months, especially so this last month. I only started looking after my diet at the beginning of january, so most of the changes have occurred in the last few weeks. That alone makes me extremely happy My strength is very much improved, too, which is awesome. I have to agree though, diet is more important than anything... eating protein and carbs right after an intense workout almost feels better than the actual workout! You can practically feel the food being absorbed by your muscles, I love it.

I've always loved the gym, but now that I'm focusing more on it, I think about it all the time. Last night I fell asleep thinking about when I can train next..

I've already discovered that I look leaner/more muscular on minimal carbs...If I have a higher amount of carbs on days I'm not in the gym, I definitely look bulkier.

I miss my pop, chips, and other horrible yet delicious foods (like cookies...that's what I'm craving this week). As much as I hate those cravings, though, I love knowing that I'm changing my body, and it's totally worth the effort to me.

I just pulled out my weight card from a powerlifting competition back in highschool. I was at my heaviest back then..on this specific day I weighed in at 134.4lbs and I lifted;

Squat 104.5lbs

Bench 88lbs

Deadlift 209lbs

I'm not sure what I could deadlift now, but weighing anywhere from 123 - 127lbs (depending on the day) I squat 110lbs for sets with relative ease, and bench 70lbs for reps [i'm up'ing this tomorrow].

This just made me feel pretty darn good.

Oh, and for the record, my deadlift was superior to any other female competitor There were 3 girls who lifted more than what I did, but they weighed at least 30lbs more than me (some outweighing me by over 60lbs) and only lifted roughly 20lbs more than me. Woot! No wonder I loved deadlifts so much.

Deadlift is my favourite lift as well, I have long arms so naturally I'm built better for it I guess. This was the last meet I did just over a month ago...

Can't wait to get into things again this year. I love to get up and see what I can do, really test yourself. I thrive on the pressure and love the intensity of the training that's required. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

My arms are the same, rather long for my size (thankfully not noticeably so! lol)

To be honest, I hadn't even thought about getting back into competing. I'm not sure I'd be anywhere near the level I should be for my age, I haven't competed since high school...5 or 6 years ago now. I wouldn't even know how to go about getting into it.

-

Does anyone else have the kind of days where you go through your workout, and you know you're not slacking, but it just doesn't feel right because your mind isn't focused? That was my day today..a little disappointing.

Ugh...back to square one with my pulled groin. It actually feels worse than before..this time it's painful, last time it wasn't really, just uncomfortable.

I had my leg workout today, and it was going so well, though rushed so it wasn't a great workout, until I thought 'let's crank out a few sets on the leg press before finishing up'. I have been doing leg press in the last few weeks and it's been no problem, but today it was. I guess cardio is out of the question for quite a while yet!

Any "quick fix" solutions?!

Work is really, really not helping my leg. I feel like every 2 minutes I have to crouch or kneal for something, and standing back up is when it hurts the most. Rest would really, really be awesome...but I'm puppysitting 2 dogs for the next week, one of them being 12 weeks old, so I don't think I'm getting that any time soon...*sigh*

Luckily, I've learned to absolutely love working upper body and I can still do that. I want to go to the gym...

Oh, and I definitely cheated today..I had 'white almond bark'. Essentially almonds in white chocolate. It was fantastic..all 500 calories of it lol

Calories are through the roof this weekend! I'm really hoping it'll work to my advantage in the end...lol I haven't been eating anything horrible though..just more of the healthy stuff. Like yesterday, I had a lot of almonds, brown rice, garlic bread (home made, no cheese), a significant amount of veggies...I have a biological excuse for my cravings though, so while I feel that I've given in, I haven't exactly. Yesterday my stomach just wouldn't shut up, but it turns out it was just asking for carbs...and they were delicious = )

The stores are still taunting me with cookies, and I so desperately want one...or several. Maybe I'll satisfy the craving with a subway cookie later this week if it won't go away...

I feel like my groin being not only still injured, but worse than before, has derailed my focus completely. Saying no to the things I cut out of my diet is getting harder and harder, and more depressing. Some people might say that it's because I miss those foods that I feel this way. Granted, I do miss them, but knowing that I can't work as hard as I want is incredibly frustrating, and I think we all know that food is a fantastic comfort lol I want...cookies, and chocolate, and a muffin. Oh god how I want a muffin haha The only way I stopped myself from getting some type of chocolate at lunch today was to get a diet coke..even then I was quite bitter about it.

The days that I am in the gym, working upper body, my head isn't in it. I still kill it, doing everything I should, but it just doesn't FEEL as good as it should, ya know? Not to mention that my upper body workout hurts my leg...that brings me down some, too.

I haven't even had a chance to rest it..babysitting 2 dogs, one of which is only 12 weeks, allows zero opportunity to relax with ice on my leg, and plenty of opportunity to strain it some more. Same with at work, no rest..

Anyway, I think that's enough bitching and complaining for one day lol

I had thought at the beginning of the month that I probably wouldn't keep this journal going, but all day I was thinking of posting on here. I don't even know if anyone reads my words, but it feels like I've vented nonetheless, and therefore I feel better. This is definitely helping me out.

Would massage help?

I've never had groin issues, but I have had tendon/ITB band issues which I resolved with a combination of deep tissue work and Bowen Therapy. Just a thought.

What's Bowen Therapy? I have tried massaging, just on my own, and while I can find the most tender spots, it's unproductive otherwise.

Cown, you looked fantastic in the first place. Hubba hubba.

Lmao Why thank you, Tarzan.

My body was, and still is, adequate. I'm just not content to put up with adequate anymore. I want jaw-dropping awesome haha but strong awesome. I'd rather stick with my old body than be a skinny stick with no muscle.

Most people are driven by the fact they look like shit if they don't go to the gym and eat right, you look great regardless. You must have some serious motivation!

Just high standards, I guess! lol But thank you

--

How sad is it that 2 muffins are basically my normal daily caloric intake? Sad and delicious...Luckily, I'm due for a cheat day. It was supposed to be yesterday, but I ate my normal healthy stuff...

I also made pie yesterday! It's a strange recipe...it has chocolate, peanut butter, and silken tofu. I havent had a peice yet, but when tasting the filling yesterday, it's quite promising...I'm a little excited, not gunna lie lol Food brings out my inner fat kid

I started a fat burner today...I've never been on one before, not sure really what to expect. I only had one dose today since I started it at lunch, but I'm still totally hyped up from it...I feel like I've been taking energy drinks all day! This is just one capsule, and one dose...after a week I'm supposed to be at 4 capsules a day! I'm going to be bouncing off the walls!