New You for the New Year Contest 5

My gut reaction was to respond with "legs;" I've always known my lower body is stronger than my upper body so pushing myself to go heavier on squats, deadlifts, leg presses, calf raises, lunges, and what have has never been a problem, at least in terms of thinking I could do it. Upper-body days, on the other hand, have always been more mentally taxing than lower body ones because, for the longest time, I went into them with the mindset that I wasn't going to put big numbers up and my progress wouldn't be as quick as with my lower-body.

Recently, though, I've had a change of heart. Lower body days are still, hands down, my favorite work-out days but my favorite muscle groups to thrash have definitely become my shoulders and chest. Instead of walking into my shoulder/back and chest/arm hypertrophy days expecting minimal improvement, I see each one as a challenge - to tackle my weaknesses, to improve. And since seeing things that way, every pound I add to my overhead or bench press I've recognized as a step toward my bigger goals and I attack them with just as much intensity as I do heavy deads and leg presses, if not more. In fact, I've found it just as satisfying after a shoulder hypertrophy day to have ask my girlfriend to get something down from a kitchen cabinet because I can't lift my arm over my head as I do when I, literally, stumble out of the gym after hitting personal bests on leg presses.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not an easy question to answer! I like to feel the burn after any exercise, so I like to train all of them. My favorite right now would have to be biceps. I just love to do bicep curls, and they seem to be my strongest muscle group in the arms as of right now. I also love training legs, who doesnt!

FYI: I think its funny that people refer to the biceps as your guns.

My favourite body part to work is the abdominals. I work

In a job the requires a lot of lifting so in order

To protect my back I make sure to have a strong core

In working on my abs I make sure to do a lot of excersices

That force me to work on all the stabilizer muscles while

Performing the exercise. I use the bosu and physio ball a lot.

My favorite ab excersice is the high plank onto the

Physio ball & then rolling the ball forward and trying to hold

That pose as long as I can. I move the ball far ward/backward. The core

Doesn't get rest. Try it out

My favorite muscle group to push to the limit is Legs/lower body. The lower body is the largest muscle group, so you're gonna get the greatest metabolic stress from working the lower body, so that's going to give the biggest bump up to your metabolism, and will leave you feeling like you worked out hard. Also, we all rely on our legs to get us around and through life everyday. Solid overall fitness is built upon a foundation of a strong lower body.

I'd have to say arms & chest, esp. my biceps. I already know a variety of exercises that i can do that focus on these areas so I know I'm getting some good work done with them and can see the gains. I also like working these areas as it helps to have strong arms in the work I do.

I've ALWAYS been the skinny, scrawny, lanky guy. I'm learning more and more about training as I go in all areas, but my favorite muscle groups are probably my biceps and triceps. I'm finally ready to build up the muscle to phase me out of the "skinny, scrawny, lanky" title. I've already seen great growth in my arms and am excited for more!

www.ahimsalifecoaching.com