Newly vegetarian/vegan from OHIO

laurak11

Hello! After a week or so of viewing this site from afar I'm finally creating a post and profile!

I've been an active person all my life. I played volleyball in college, played a year professionally in Finland, and after I took up running and completed 7 marathons and many half's since 07'. In the beginning of 2010 I signed up for an Ironman without biking or swimming experience and completed my first IM distance in Sept 10' and then did another one in May of 11'.

Having the active lifestyle I never really "got" the nutritional piece. I've tried low carb, lots of meat diets, and also high carb but lots of dairy and never really felt great (GI problems, etc). In October I watched "Forks Over Knives" and was really intrigued by the information presented and the data that backed it up. I work at the Cleveland Clinic as a nurse. Dr. Esselstyn is one of the main contributors in the movie also happens to work for the Clinic and that really impressed me. So I tried a 20 day vegan diet in Nov. Thanksgiving rolled around and I kinda slid back in my ways. Dec came and I had to stop running (which I love) b/c of the pain. I recently just had surgery on my right foot and I thought what better time then now to get my diet in check. So as of last week I'm back on the bandwagon. Ok so I've had a couple bumps. No meat, but a lil' yogurt that was left over in the fridge and some half/half in my coffee. But I feel AMAZING. I really do. I thought I was going to be miserable being stuck in the house, not working, not working out but I'm not.

So since I can't run or do anything that involves standing I've started focusing on lifting and core work. After volleyball I haven't really lifted much so it's kinda nice to get back into it again. My goal this year is to have a six pack! I really want one!! haha. But here's too a great start to 2012!

Welcome to the forum!

Awesome that Forks Over Knives was a positive influence for you, and how cool to be working at the same place as Dr. Esselstyn! I love that guy!

Hope you recover from your foot surgery soon and back out there running marathons and kicking butt.

Welcome to the team!

-Robert

Hi Laura! Welcome to the VBB forum! Dr. Esselstyn is my hero! I know he's old, but I still have a crush on him anyway. Hahaha!

Some people transition to a vegan diet overnight and never look back. For others of us (including myself), it takes a little more time to settle into. I went back and forth for a while (over a year) as well, until it finally "clicked". But, now I know it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

Wishing you a speedy recovery on your foot so you can be up and running again before you know it!

All the best,

Karen

Thanks for the feedback ladies!! Karen- I know what you're saying about going back and forth abit. I did a mini trial in Nov but didn't cut the dairy (or chicken really). A new year and surgery on my foot gave me the time and reflection i needed to do it again. The first 4 days were hard but I was feeling lousy from surgery. Fast forward two weeks later and I feel great. I can't wait to see the effects on my running/triathon this year